the walking dead season 7 episode 7 recap

Walking Dead Recap: Scorn This Way

Did The Walking Dead somehow think that we didn’t already hate Negan enough? Perhaps. Because Sunday’s episode sure seemed designed to make us loathe him more. Over the course of the plus-sized “Sing Me a Song,” he made one character wet his pants and several others cry, treated Daryl like a scruffy butler and got way too close for comfort to… On second thought, keep reading. We’ll get to that.

the-walking-dead-season-7-episode-7-recap‘YOU ARE ADORABLE’ | Early on, as the truck heading for The Sanctuary neared its destination, Carl conned Jesus into jumping out before him, then remained in the vehicle so that he could carry out his revenge plot… which went about as well as you’d expect a teenager’s murder attempt on a well-guarded megalomaniac would go. After Carl killed two Saviors and was apprehended, he flashed what Negan noticed was “the same damn stink-eye as his dad,” only half as good, what with the boy only having one eye and all. Yet, even though it meant that Negan would’t have time to “screw any of [his] wives today” — except maybe one, he added for Dwight’s “benefit” —he decided to give his new guest a tour of the stronghold.

First, Negan gave Carl a ringside seat as he intimidated Sherry into revealing that yes, sister wife Amber had been with a Savior named Mark when he had been supposed to be working, which was unacceptable for two reasons: 1. Mark had been supposed to be working, and 2. Negan’s wives aren’t allowed to cheat on him, even with their “ex” husbands and boyfriends. Why had Sherry been so reluctant to rat out Amber? Negan asked. After all, he never hit them. “I know you,” she replied. “There’s worse.” Off Sherry’s confession, Negan gave Amber the option of leaving him for Mark, which sounded somehow even scarier than staying with the psycho. So, with the young woman’s awful decision made, Negan sent for Doc Carson and delighted in making out with Sherry in front of Dwight while Daryl stood around with a tray of snacks like a quieter Alice from The Brady Bunch.

‘I WANT YOU TO SING ME A SONG’ | Ushering Carl to his bedroom chamber, Negan instructed the youngster to take off his eye bandage. The villain had to, just had to see the wound for himself. All wrapped up, “it’s like talking to a birthday present,” he said. Though revealing the missing eye reduced Carl to tears, Negan continued teaching a master class in insensitivity, asking if he could touch it. But then, the weirdest thing happened: The jerk apologized. And then, a not-at-all-weird thing happened: He went right back to being an a–hole, forcing Carl to sing for him. (Chandler Riggs’ heartbreaking stab at “You Are My Sunshine” is sure to rank right up there with Linda Gray’s “People” on Dallas as one of the most harrowing musical numbers in TV history.)

Afterwards, Negan had Carl hold Lucille as he speechified to his minions about the importance of rules, and reminded them that, if they broke a rule, that was it — it was the iron for them. That being the case, while Carl and Daryl, and Dwight and Sherry, exchanged meaningful glances, the Saviors’ leader burned Mark’s face until he peed his pants and fainted. As the crowd dispersed, Carson treated Mark and Hazel Daryl mopped up the piss, Dwight and Sherry rendezvoused in the stairwell to bicker over the impact that their return to The Sanctuary was having on others — she cared, he didn’t, arguing that anybody who was still standing at this point was standing on someone else’s back.

‘WHY HAVEN’T YOU KILLED ME, OR MY DAD, OR DARYL?’ | Meanwhile, Negan — still refusing to let Carl cover up his missing eye, just ’cause — explained that he hadn’t offed Daryl because he was going to become a good soldier, he hadn’t offed Rick because he was a good scavenger, and he hadn’t offed Carl because it would be more productive to break him. “More fun, too,” he added. (Enough. We get it — Negan is a horrible, no-good, bad, bad guy.) What did Carl think? He thought Negan should jump out the window to save him the trouble of killing him. At that, Negan decided to return his guest to Alexandria (with sneaky Jesus along for the ride). When Daryl warned Negan not to hurt the boy, he got thrown back in his cell for a time-out. (Soon, a key was slipped under the door with a note: “Go now.” Gee, thanks, Sherry! At least it was presumably Sherry.)

Since Rick and Michonne were out — more on that shortly — it was babysitter Olivia who greeted Negan and Carl at the door of Casa Grimes. In no time, not only had the Saviors’ leader been cruel enough about Olivia’s weight to make her cry, but his apology had gotten him slapped since it included an offer to screw her brains out. Unfortunately, the smack only left him “about 50 percent more into” her. After sending Olivia to make lemonade, Negan took a tour of the house… and, to Carl’s (and our!) horror, for the first time discovered Judith. (Whose stomach didn’t lurch at the sight of him picking up the baby, never mind kissing her forehead?) As the episode drew to a close, he mused aloud that maybe Carl was right. Maybe he should kill him and Rick, stay put and “settle into the suburbs.”

the-walking-dead-season-7-episode-7-recap‘I HATE RICK’ | In other plot developments, while out scavenging, Rick and Aaron discovered a well-protected stash of supplies — and weapons. Spencer scored some grub and a crossbow but earned a scolding from Gabriel by suggesting that the best thing that could happen to Alexandria would be if Rick didn’t make it back alive. (“What you’re saying doesn’t make you a sinner,” the priest assured Deanna’s son. “It does make you a tremendous s—. But just for now. It doesn’t have to be terminal.”) Eugene warned Rosita that it didn’t “matter if you’re stealthy, snipey, gun or knifey,” they still didn’t have the numbers to defeat the Saviors. Yet she still — and rather nastily — insisted that he make her a bullet. (You could tell she’d really wounded him, too, since he didn’t even want to hear her apology. Instead, “I’d like to take it back to awkward silence now,” he said.) Finally, Michonne made a roadblock of walkers, got the drop on a female Savior and ordered the woman to take her to Negan.

So, what did you think of “Sing Me a Song”? Does anyone not think that Spencer is going to try to take out Rick? Is it possible that the sight of Negan with Judith was even more disturbing than the premiere murders? Hit the comments.

1. AngelWasHere says:

Haha much better episode this week. Poor Judith.

2. Chris Norris says:

You can’t see ’em, but Carl’s balls are friggin huge. Bigger than anyone’s at Alexandria.
    Well…..next to maggie, that is. ;)

• Here I Am says:

Not sure about Carl’s actions. What he did has Negan going back to ASZ before he was scheduled and I just got this feeling a character or two might pay the bill on this visit. Oh well time will tell on this.

• Gerald says:

If he had balls he wouldn’t ot have hesitated with the machine gun when Negan stepped into his firing range. Ugh. End him already.

• Charlie skiner says:

My heart sank to the deepest depths unknown, when I heard Jeffrey dean morgan say on Talking dead ‘in the coming years’ the way the negan and carl relationship plays out will be awesome. What! He’s gonna be around for years! Good god save me! I don’t know how I’m gonna bear it. I don’t understand why people like him. Can he just shut up already. He speaks waaaayyyy too much! I just want him to die quickly but I now know it won’t happen.

• Alex says:

This was kinda a sick episode too. I think TWD just needs to do a GOT at this stage. Sick of the money spinning and crappy writing that they won’t stop defending.

• Mike Hunt says:

Read the comics and you will know what happens with Negan.

• Alex says:

All I know is that Talking Dead said he will be around for years. Looks like nothing will change, it’s just getting lame like that spin off.

3. Mitsotakis says:

Negan. Is. So. Boring. Wish. He. Would. Not. Speak. So. Slowly.

• ew says:

Yeah, I’m not fan of his laid back way of talking nor the way he dips and tilts his head back when doing so. i actually thought, this week, the character was more interesting when JDM dropped that and just spoke evenly, like the scene where he had Carl sing to him.

• Charlie skiner says:

Gah! And his monologues are way too long! There’s too much of him in the show. They need to show more of the originals. I hate that he’s the main character now and everyone else seems to be demoted to supporting roles. He’s awful and so boring!

4. Walkie says:

A better episode but, once again, they are dragging things out.

And the way Negan is written and performed makes the character a total bore. So he’s just a sociopath? There isn’t anything more to him? Then why should we care?

• Radha says:

He is a psychopath. Sociopaths don’t bash people’s heads in and enjoy it. They are more conniving and manipulative in order to get what they want and resort to murder as a last ditch effort.

5. Kevin M says:

One Question, how does a great show go to being so crappy in one year?

• Michonne says:

^^^This^^^

• John says:

No this ^^^^^, the uber loyal ones who will watch even if storylines get crap. The whole point is to take a stance when things start to grind to a halt on TWD. Only then may Kirkman wake up and try and redeem the bloody thing properly. If not it will probably not come back fully again. Ratings still haven’t got back to what they used to be. Doesn’t surprise me, it needs work.

6. Big Mike says:

I don’t get the Negan hate. Like, AT ALL. He s a charismatic sociopath, chewing scenery so much it’s a wonder there’s any set left. He. Is. AWESOME.

• AngelWasHere says:

Yeah I kinda like em. Well for a bad guy anway. He has me on the edge of my seat most of the time. I don’t get the hate either. The show is dragging, because of how it’s written. Not him.

• Big Mike says:

The pacing is the issue. Focusing entire episodes on The Kingdom (and then ignoring them for over a month!), on Daryl/Dwight, on Tara/Heath while ignoring the core group? Whose bright idea was THAT?

• AngelWasHere says:

Yep. I completely agree. The pacing this season is horrible. They got extra time for some of these episodes and they’re wasting it.

• Francis says:

They aren’t real TWD FANS,they just bored nobody’s that still watch a tv show they claim to hate so they can feel important to log on sites complaining about Carl’s hair,Carl’s acting Negan’s boring!!! They clearly DON’T HAVE A LIFE! Negan and Carl RULED this EPISODE!

• Jermey says:

He’s terrible. Too annoying and over the top.

7. Carlos Lee says:

Ugghh. Not sure how much more of this I can take. I have not been this bored since the Farmhouse. Btw, did anybody noticed Rosita appeared to have manicured nails?

• wrstlgirl says:

The only thing I seem to notice about Rosita is she’s such a bitch, lmao!! I mean come on, it’s so not necessary.

• Lilly says:

Rosita is filled with unrequited rage. She’d just been dumped by Abraham. She hadn’t gotten over him when he was killed and she was powerless to do anything about it. He’s no longer around to either slap in the face or win back.

• wrstlgirl says:

I get that she’s angry but jesus. I almost hope that one bullet she’s so obsessed about gets her killed. Tired of her screeching.

• Lilly says:

Actually, last night something about that storyline made me think Rosita would be a casualty. Soon. She just seems out of control. And – sad to say – they’ve turned her into a screeching beeoch so she’s an “easy” death (Can’t believe I’m saying that! But you know what I mean.) But we forget that Abraham’s dumping of her probably only happened about 2-3 weeks ago in her timeline! A lot to process for her, even if we are bored to death!

• Mike Hunt says:

Rosita is most likely playing the role of Holly for the TV show. If you followed the comics, you would know what happens with that character. Atleast that is my theory.

• wrstlgirl says:

I can see Rosita being Holly. I’d rather it was her than Sasha who was rumored to be that character earlier.

• darcy the slutty twin says:

I don’t see why Rosita would be playing the character of Holly from the comics. Rosita exists in the comics and isn’t far off from the TV version. Holly is the woman Abraham has an affair with behind Rosita’s back. That’s Sasha, a character who doesn’t exist in the comics.

• Alycia Swift says:

I noticed the nails too. The Saviors must have left the emery boards and other nail stuff.

8. Brian says:

Have to admit Negan made me laugh in his scenes with Olivia. But before those scenes I was mostly bored.

9. Ian says:

I ended up fast forwarding through most of this episode. Negan’s insufferable. And Carl’s a reckless idiot.

10. blah says:

Didn’t Jesus jump off the top of the truck and stay at the sanctuary?

• Alycia Swift says:

Yes. The recap has it wrong.

• Chris Grove says:

Not necessarily. He jumped out of it at the beginning, but as Neegan left for Alexandria with Carl in tow, it showed him back on the truck, on the roof. It showed Darryl looking his direction as they drove off, then the camera panned to the truck and he was gone. Doesn’t necessarily mean he jumped off of the truck, though, just means he’s out of sight.

11. Michonne says:

I’m just not feeling this season. The first episode was good but the rest have been garbage. Each character just gets dumber and dumber by the episode. Carl was beyond stupid for thinking he could take out Negan alone. Like really Carl? And now Michonne is going on her solo asassins mission. And Rosita is gonna try to take out Negan with just one bullet. So stupid.

• ew says:

The thing is, he could have… at the beginning of the episode. But he didn’t take the shot due to bad writing/staging. And I don’t think he intended to make it back alive.

• Lilly says:

You have a point. I’ve actually debated with others that this season of TWD is any where near as terrible as FearTWD, but I have to admit some of the decision making of our seasoned heroes is starting to mirror the stupidity of the characters on Fear – presumably to move the story along the way the writers want it to go. Problem is, these characters wouldn’t be doing these stupid things. I get Rosita going off half cocked – she was stunned when Abraham dumped her for Sasha, so she’s dealing with her unresolved issues. But Carl – or at least Michonne – would plan something better. Is EVERYONE going on a suicide mission to the Sanctuary??

• John says:

Good point there Lilly. To be honest, I was convinced that wretched spin off would be cancelled, I hope it will, thing needs to be put out of its misery. But if TWD ever does get THAT bad, I’m walking away for good. Not worth it and plenty of other shows to watch on netflix now. Lets just hope it won’t come to that though.

• wrstlgirl says:

It’s actually hilarious that Carl, Michonne and Rosita think they are just gonna waltz in and take out Negan and none of the Saviors will care. I mean I get that these guys are traumatized and angry but if ever there was a time to pick your battles, it’s now. At least Maggie, Sasha and Jesus are trying to form a plan and Rick just feels the weight of everything but I have no doubt he’s looking for an opportunity. He’s allowing Negan to humiliate him over and over again so no one else is killed. Unfortunately I think Carl’s actions are going to have some unpleasant consequences.

12. Red Snapper says:

I thought this was a great episode, the best this season. I loved all the Carl/Negan scenes. They were straight from the comics and were perfectly done. JDM was born to play Negan. I can’t wait for next week.

• Cas says:

This. I think people hating this storyline must not know anything of the comic books. The big bad guy doesn’t die after a few episodes just because people don’t like him. I hate him too. But love JDM.

13. Partisan says:

I heard that Kirkman was enamored of his villain Negan and that the books started to drag when he got introduced. It seems the show is going the same way. The looooong lingering fascination with a psycho being psycho may be interesting to some but my impression from other sources is that they would love to get on with the inevitable rebellion/war that we all know is coming. My bet, though, is that we won’t get anything but the Negan show for the rest of this season. Maybe I’ll check in next year and see where things are cause this is just insufferable.

• Cordelia says:

Agreed. Tired of Negan as well. You’re not wrong. I read somewhere he’s supposed to be in the show next season as well….

• ew says:

I heard he is around for a while… I wish they would just do a time jump and show all the characters having suffered under his hands and having had to gather supplies for him, rather than have to see it. Just skip to the end and get on with the war with him.

• Mike Hunt says:

he is going to be around for a LONG time. Right now in the show we are seeing events depicted in the comic around issues 97-105, Negan is still alive in issue 162. Get used to him. He isn’t going anywhere.

• Sam says:

I agree, they have separated all of the main cast into to many places for them all to come together quickly. So it will be a weekly fast-forward marathon every time Negan starts rattling on about just about everything. I do not need to hear him talking endlessly to understand he is a psycho. The writers do not have to keep trying to drive the point across week after week. But since a lot of this is already filmed I think the 2nd half of the season will probably be a lot of the same.
      When I saw Carl holding the bat I stopped the fast forward, why wouldn’t he just hit him in the back of the head when Negan was looking down at all the people below them or at least give it a shot.

14. Denise says:

Sorry don’t agree, he was the cause of them losing their guns and now is has put Judith llife in the hands of Negan.

• Lilly says:

I tend to agree. His actions remind me more of Madison on Fear than with the intelligent characters on TWD.

• Jenna says:

Preach it Lilly! I was thinking like the same thing regarding being like the mother in that spin off. Gosh though is TWD really getting that bad now? This is not a good sign.

15. Lilly says:

I don’t hate this season as much as some others. I do agree with the poor pacing. I just think they haven’t figured out yet how to translate this incredibly disjointed story line with LOTS of characters – spread out in different areas. Maybe it works in the comics, but for tv, it’s frustrating. We shouldn’t have to wait WEEKS between spending time with Carol & Morgan, or Maggie & Sasha – heck the entire bunch in Alexandria! Most fans agree the show is dragging. And the thought that we could take another season or two to muster up a decent rebellion and have to put up with Negan for that long…. Ugh.

• Charlie skiner says:

A thousand Ughs! Apparently Negan’s gonna be around for years! I despair.

• John says:

That right there will be the nail in TWD’s coffin I believe. Nobody wants that. What we want is a resolution already.

• Lilly says:

I confess, I’m in for the long haul. TWD still beats anything I’m watching on tv. It will have to get as bad as Fear for me to quit watching (and no matter what anyone says, we’re a long way from THAT). However, they need to realize quick that tv is different than the comics. Those of us who are die-hard fans but who didn’t read the comics are struggling with the concept that Negan could be around for years. This is moving too slowly for tv. We’ve spent months telling 14 days of story. We are watching far too much Negan and far too little Carol, Michonne, Rick, Maggie, and Daryl. Negan annoys me more right now than angers me. I have to remind myself of Glenn and Abraham. Please, TWD powers-that-be, listen to your fans!!

• Marissa says:

Have you watched Black Mirror though? That is an amazing show and GOT will be back in 2017. Netflix is a real gem though and at this rate I find I’m binge watching those shows more and more. I agree though, if it becomes the spin off, I’m gone.

• Mike Hunt says:

You are not a die-hard fan if you don’t/didn’t read the comic. That makes you a TV fan not a TWD fan. The TV show is setting up the premise of All-Out War. This will all makes sense once those things begin to come together. If you don’t believe me, then read the comics. But know this, you are seeing issues 97-105 on the scree through this season. Negan is still alive in issue 162. He is around for the long haul.

• wrstlgirl says:

I’m sorry Mike but that is just BS. You don’t have to both read the comic and watch the show to be a “die hard” fan. Some people like the element of surprise and don’t read the comic because they don’t want spoilers. That doesn’t make them any less of a fan than those who do read the comics.

• Lilly says:

^^^This. Mike, you’re just making an idiot of yourself by claiming one has to be a devotee of the graphic novels in order to truly be a TWD fan. (I wouldn’t mind reading them; I just can’t afford it.) At least I don’t claim to know what’s best for a tv show based on a comic book I read a couple of years ago. My argument (if you read that far) is that PERHAPS the writers need to realize doing things the same way in the tv show as they did in the comics will lose viewers. Then the “true TWD fans” can go back to just reading those graphic novels because you need tv fans to keep it on the air! One of their mistakes is devoting whole episodes to side characters instead of telling multiple storylines each week. I was one of the people who wanted to catch up with Tara, but It’s RIDICULOUS that we haven’t seen Carol and Morgan for a month, which – sadly – is all too typical this season with everyone scattered everywhere!

• Marissa says:

Mike, I agree with Lilly and wrstlgirl. I am a self-professed TV addict, not a comic fan. I also watch many shows. TWD was always one of my favorites. But the tide is turning for me now with the more recent episodes although fatigue may have been dawning for a while. I do not read comics, I am not interested in comics. It is the TV show that concerns me. I won’t stand by bad writing in a show just because people like you say the comics are great. Comics and books are generally nine times out of ten better than anything that becomes regurgitated on screen. But as I say, it’s the show’s ratings that count, not the comic sales, I’m sure they may long outlive the show if they are still that popular.

16. ew says:

There is NO good reason someone can’t just take Negan out and be done with it. With the Governor – that guy was always plotting, always had a plan… you could never get to him. Carl had a chance to shoot Negan and didn’t even do it at the beginning of the episode. This show needs to try harder with making Negan more of a threat that just a nuisance we know is going to get taken out eventually, who occasionally bashes people’s brains in just to get some headlines.

• Mike Hunt says:

He lives for a long time. Get used to it. His character is still alive in the comics. 60 issues after the events being portrayed on screen now.

• Radha says:

Maybe we DON’T want to get used to it, Mike. Maybe we want writers to realize that the comic books lingering on this useless waste of a character is boring and making the show not enjoyable anymore. Just because Negan is still around in the comics doesn’t mean that he should suck all the enjoyment and life out of the show. People are not liking this season, why don’t you get used to that?

17. KLS says:

There are so many unexplained details this season that it makes my head hurt.

18. Whatevah says:

I hate Negan and can’t wait to see him get his BUT he had some pretty funny lines last night.

19. Rich says:

It was a compound bow, not a crossbow.

20. SJ says:

I assumed it was Jesus who left the note/key for Daryl, not Sherry.

21. Missy says:

This episode made me crush even harder on Negan. Maybe I’m a sicko! But he is SO adorable when he’s not killing someone! LOL

22. liame says:

This Negan guy is beginning to bore the crap out of me, not from lack of torturing and killing but because his whole persona is annoying and stupid. The grinning and slow speaking every other sentence is just too much. Please let Rick, Daryl, Maggie, oh hell, anyone kill this SOB already and put me out of my misery.

23. Deb Kisela says:

Been watching since the beginning but had to miss this one for the WestWorld finale, a much better show at this point. I cannot stand Negan and the show as a whole is just cringeworthy and not the must see Sunday night it once was. Added to that, it’s not even available On Demand, the Tara episode is the last one available, and I’ll just catch it on a rerun next sunday. Sad.

24. Mark Royce says:

Negan’s reaction to Olivia’s comment “we are practically starving here”! His response – when he turned to Carl – ‘REALLY?” Priceless – by far best line of all 7 years – still cracking up!!!!

25. Niles says:

The writing and staging of this episode — where Carl fails to shoot Negan — was terrible. Did Carl’s character “jump the shark”? He could have easily shot (and killed) Negan, as it was staged in the episode. I understand that the writers want to keep both characters around for awhile. But, really, the beauty of Walking Dead is that the characters behave in believable ways. Not so in this case, though. Maybe if Negan had remained out of sight, and some hidden gunmen got the drop on Carl — that would have been much more believable. But Carl had a clear shot, he had the only gun, and it was an automatic. He was on a suicide mission. Why not take the shot? Made no sense to me. Bad writing on this one.

• Lilly says:

I actually agree with you. One of the best differences between a frustrating FearTWD and the far superior TWD is the writing. The stories make sense (most of the time) and the characters suffer the consequences of their actions. That is, the people who do stupid things usually either die, are seriously hurt, or cause someone else to die. One of my biggest complaints about Fear is that those dolts do head-scratching things all the time and always come through unscathed. Lately, TWD has written similar stupid actions (like Carl’s idiotic actions here) just to move the story line along.

• Niles says:

Yes, I agree that Fear The Walking Dead has been a disappointment. I have been watching it (half-heartedly), but I’m certainly not glued to it, and it wouldn’t bother me if I missed an episode. The writing has been far inferior to TWD. The characters are not developed well, the characters are not particularly likeable or sympathetic, the actions of the characters are often stupid and not believable as real characters.

This is in major contrast to TWD, where the believability of the characters (and their actions) has always been true-to-life — until we get to Carl’s ridiculous failure to shoot Negan. It’s kind of like they suddenly threw a magical dragon into the mix. What the…..?