The Vampire Diaries Recap

Vampire Diaries Recap: Breaking Up (With the Devil) Is Hard to Do

A whole lot of bad stuff went down on Friday’s Vampire Diaries, but nothing more distressing than the #SterolineJuneWedding’s cancellation — at least for now.

Following the discovery that her daughters had been taken, Caroline decided to get her ducks in a row… and none of those ducks answered to the name Stefan Salvatore. “Until this is all over, there’s no us,” she told him, handing back his engagement ring. “There’s only me, and my kids and their father. … I can’t afford any distractions or compromises, especially when it comes to your brother.” (Oh, Damon, is there anyone’s life you haven’t ruined?)

To his credit, Alaric also immediately shifted into Taken mode — including delivering what I’m pretty sure was a word-for-word recital of Liam Neeson’s phone call from the first movie — as he vowed to play Pin the Knife on the Nanny with Seline. And this was all before they knew that Seline was plotting to offer up Lizzie and Josie to Cade as his new “missionaries,” thus relieving the current siren sisters of their sacrificial duties.

But little did Caroline suspect that another plan was being hatched: Stefan agreed to serve Cade with Damon in place of the twins! (And as an extra “f–k you” to Seline, who couldn’t be trusted with a simple task like freeing her sister from a magical evil vault, Sybil made a deal on the side to screw Seline for all eternity.)

Sure, Caroline eventually came to her senses and returned Stefan’s engagement ring to its rightful finger, but once he told her about his deal with Cade, she knew it was too little, too late. There were waterworks (“You promised me a June wedding!”) and a slight silver lining (“The one condition was that I get to spend my last 24 hours of freedom with you!”), but we all know this isn’t going to end well. I mean, Stefan is literally dead in the promo for next week’s Christmas episode if that’s any indication.

Now, for some scattered thoughts…

I loved…

* Sybil and Seline’s sisterly bickering at the diner. It’s nice to know that all siblings, even ancient ones with a taste for human flesh, have petty disagreements. (Line of choice, via Sybil: “Oh, I’m sorry, did my freedom ruin your idiotic plan to kidnap children?”)

* Candice King’s incredible performance this episode; Paul Wesley wasn’t kidding when he speculated that it was her best one yet. From her powerful speech to Alaric about not being the girls’ “real” mother (“Don’t you ever throw that in my face again!”) to her eventual acceptance that she’s a danger to them both (“Take them away from me…”), King really gave this one her all. And that’s not including her aforementioned speech about the June wedding.

* Sybil’s gross hand! I thought I was desensitized after watching this show for 7+ seasons, but I totally gasped when that cop discovered Sybil’s nasty little claw.

* Bonnie and Enzo’s romantic moments. Sure, they were few and far between — Enzo did, after all, spend most of the hour on a mental operating table being cut into by Sybil — but when they did happen, they hit me hard.

I did not love…

* The siren humming. (Sorry, I always giggle.)

* That we’re expected to believe Matt and Alaric really killed Damon for good. (We all saw that promo for next week’s episode. He’s alive, and he’s enjoying a fine Christmas feast!)

Your thoughts on this week’s episode? Are you worried about the fate of the #SterolineJuneWedding? Whatever’s on your mind, drop it in a comment below.

1. Val M says:

No I’m not worried that It won’t happen, I’m worried that I’ll happen.

2. marydspain says:

Rooting for Steroline and the #SterolineJuneWedding until the end!

3. jenny says:

this was the best episode for Candice! and after this episode i am really hopeful for a Steroline wedding and endgame!

• Helen says:

She played emotions well. But at the end she had no part in actual saving of her own kids. All credits go to Stef and Enzo. Lately Care is mostly there for leading boy’s entourage

• JJLantern says:

I think you missed something. Enzo was willing to give his all but really couldn’t do anything. Stefan was willing to give his all and agreed to the deal with Cade. But it was Damon that figured out how and made the deal to save the twins, Enzo and all their friends. Yep, as often happens Damon got all the blame when he had nothing to do with taking the twins and none of the credit when he saves the day.

• Liz says:

Actually it was Sybil’s plan that saved the day. All Damon did was agree to it. So technically this Damon who save the day theory is and gets none of the credit is well deserved. He only saved himself. Stefan at least thought of others when agree to the plan, Damon thought he didn’t want to go to hell.

• rach says:

I just watched the episode. I don’t think it was originally her plan. I believe it was the proposal damon told sybil during the scene of her “multitasking” in Enzos head while listening to damons proposition. And then she agreed with Damon. I may be wrong but thats how in interpreted it. We didn’t hear what he had to say after all because the scenes were all from enzos head or sybils eyes closed laying down.

4. Stacey says:

I hope that’s the end of the Steroline wedding! I hope their relationship is done for good. Once again Stefan sacrifices his humanity, haven’t we seen this SL before. I did love Bonenzo though, they’re a sweet couple.

• Pam says:

This is a repeat SL. Stefan once again had to sacrifice his humanity for a loved one. Like they really need to give him another story. Also agree no June wedding. For a moment I saw the old Care, it was brief but at least I recognized her for once.

• Stacey says:

I agree completely! For a moment I was excited she was reverting back to season 2-4 Caroline, but no, back to herself at the end of the episode.

5. Abbi Fortune says:

Whether or not Stefan and Caroline actually make it down the isle, they want to spend the rest of their immortal lives together. It’s not perfect, but just knowing that is enough for me. I have faith in their love, and I am holding out hope for their much-deserved happy ending! STEROLINE FOREVER! ❤💍 #SterolineJuneWedding

6. Lanah says:

The June wedding being a possibility makes my eye twitch. Caroline has been a vamp for like 6 years, she needs to live first. She is so YOUNG! And since Stefan has had ten loves of his lives, I don’t see this lasting. Please @ god.

7. luna says:

again haters are so pressed! lol they wanted a break up instead they got an epic scene which proves how strong their love truly is!

8. Super-fan says:

My two wishes for Caroline are either she marries Stefan at the end of all this…or she dies by the finale….that way she does not move to TO

• Liz says:

I’m sorry, but she has to die so she doesn’t go to TO that’s super childish.

• Super-fan says:

How many times have people wished death on Elena so that DE could just die for good…why is this any diff, i don’t like caroline or klaroline

• Liz says:

That’s also childish. Wishing a character dies because you don’t like is ridiculous. They are plenty of characters on both shows that I don’t Ike but someone does and as long as they have a well written story who cares. I am more for a free and single Care at the end of TVD and I hope she doesn’t go to TO because they will only make her a loveline like they did on TVD.

• Super-fan says:

Well good for you & your mature outlook…I, on the other hand, am fine with her dying at the end of TVD…childish or not, I hope the showrunners are considering this as an option.

• emma says:

Agree. Dying is enough

• Maryam says:

She’ll die…

9. Sharon says:

I am so sick of #SterolineJuneWedding. Its cheesy and stupid. Steroline is horrible as a couple. Caroline says oh we are team, we should make decisions together but Stefan never does. He is constantly making decisions for her.

That humming is also super annoying and driving me crazy.

10. Jason says:

I’m not too worried about Steroline because it’s pretty early in the season. I knew they would throw a monkey wrench in the works by the midpoint and they have to have something to overcome. It’s never smooth sailing on Vampire Diaries but you usually reach the shore.

11. Kimberly R Titter says:

By killing Damon they killed Stefan

12. BookGirl says:

I’m hating this storyline. HATING. They couldn’t come up with anything better than this?

• Nerd84 says:

I agree.

• JJLantern says:

Absolutely agree – HATE this entire storyline. But, FINALLY I see a glimmer of hope. Despite the poor writing this episode was the only one since episode one that seems a little like TVD. I credit Paul’s directing with most of it, but they also finally let Damon act more like himself and there was actual humor. Yeah! I can even overlook the stupid story with its massive holes if we can turn it around and bring back the humor.

13. Jp says:

Caroline was literally more upset about not getting her june wedding than Alaric taking the twins away lol
    I know writers want to make us believe that SC is some kind of epic ship, but damn! The only competition that Stefan has is those kids lol. Btw it was Damon’s idea, Stefan just agree with the plan so Calaric couldn’t kill Damon duh!

14. KM says:

I am just not feeling this season of tvd, pity.

15. emma says:

Seriously? Giving back the ring to Stefan will just be ok by saying “Im sorry.” What the hell is wrong with Julie Plec? Everyone was just apologizing in this episode. Let’s just admit that the story is being weak. We all just keep watching to see what the end will be. And one more thing Is Damon really dead? Cause I can’t believe it everrrrr 😢😢😢😢

16. emma says:

Can Seline just be dead sooner?? And I wish Sybil becomes a good person in the end 😍 She is so pretty and that’s a good thing that she’s starting to punish the damn stupid sissy

17. Jess says:

I hated the ending. For one thing, I hate the idea of Caroline, a vampire, wanting to get married when she’s so young instead of going out and doing vampire things. It’s weird and it’s been a lowlight of this character’s journey this season.

And I just hate the fake death stuff. It’s midseason, we know it’s not sticking. This is the kind of very gimmicky, shallow storytelling that has made people say that TVD is now a “bad” show. And it’s a shame, because you’re right, PW did a great job directing (I actually think he’s a better director than actor) and CK turned in a heck of a performance.

I don’t know what’s going to happen going forward, but I do know that ideally, it will end with Caroline getting a different ending than just settling down with Stefan.

18. LizLem says:

The only thing that redeemed the fake Damon death was that we blatantly knew he was set up to avoid death-death, right? Something he was so casual about he couldn’t even be fussed to fight “death” or explain why he didn’t care. Which Matt & Alaric seemed pretty oblivious to. The stakes in that scene for me were all about the potential ramifications for Matt (who I’m currently enjoying) and Alaric (who I’d love to see bite it), not Damon (who cares anymore).

Also Bonnie&Enzo really are the best of it all. I mean, they do really need to get to work on some separate hobbies/goals (that don’t involve either being tortured or cursed, preferably), but they are preciousssss so, I’ll allow these somewhat repetitive love declarations. They are legit. It was nice to have two this week in which neither was enduring some kind of physical pain at the time – cuz it had been a while! …they DO need to resolve that mortality mismatch thing, however, huh?

I’m excited for next week. I know of the writer as a doc filmmaker and the director did a lovely Sundance feature on the Black Panthers starring Kerry Washington and Anthony Mackie. When I saw they were working on TVD I thought…kinda slumming it? But it’s def piqued my interest and ramped up my expectations for this Christmas mid season finale. LOL

19. Stefan sold his soul for Caroline’s happiness! they deserve their happy ending!

20. nisha says:

after last episode it is becoming more clear that they want a Steroline endgame! proving again and again that their love each other is greater than anything! STEROLINE FOREVER

21. Christina says:

i might be in the minority but I am rooting for the June Wedding! i don’t care if a vampire should get married or not because the show has shown that they are really happy together and they really want it! and i love them individually and together!

22. mishty says:

Steroline is so lit this season! this was the Steroline I was rooting for! so of course I am still here for the June Wedding!

23. rim says:

i watch only for Steroline! and the last episode killed me! so i am obviously rooting for them!

24. Melissa says:

Unfortunately (in my opinion) after this episode, it looks like they are determined to make Steroline endgame. I’m guessing somehow Damon and Stefan will get out of their deal blah blah and Caroline and Stefan will walk down the aisle. I hope this doesn’t happen, if anything because it is so predictable and unoriginal. I would love if the writers would come up with a something we don’t expect.

25. paulasz98 says:

The dying part was strange. Do you really think that Damon died?

26. brian says:

Soo, have we all just forgotten about Elena? XD

27. DarkDefender says:

I’m surprised at how much I like the Bonnie and Enzo love affair. (I was team Bamon) I am glad the sirens are kind of done. It was pretty easy to figure out that Stefan and Damon would be the new messengers of death for Cade and that Damon wasn’t really dead.
    I’m just hoping the entire series doesn’t end with Elena finishing up her “fictional diary” on the way to school and the this whole thing was in her imagination.

• Jacob says:

Words do not describe how upset I will be if that happens

• AnnieM says:

That would seriously suck. :-P However, they can’t really do it b/c of The Originals. Anyway, I think the most likely outcome will be for Bonnie to decide she wants to be a vampire so she & Enzo can be together forever. For that to happen, she’ll have to die for a bit, which will break Elena’s curse. As for the rest of ’em, i have no idea, but I do hope that Matt makes it out both alive and happier than he is now. And if anyone does move over to TO, I’d want it to be Bonnie & Enzo. They were two characters I’d have never thought to pair up, but I just love them together. I also think they’re the most romantic couple that’s been on the show, even more than when Stefan & Elena were still together.

28. Jbj says:

I found the writing for this episode cheesy and bizarre. BTW, what does Caroline being a vampire have to do with the twins’ kidnapping?! Seline specifically chose them because they are biologically members of the Gemini coven and are powerful siphons. Alaric lashing out at Caroline was barely tolerable because that’s what powerless people do, but Caroline pulling out on her own defied logic.

There were so many other things that bothered me, but this was the most glaringly problematic.