Bryan Fuller Star Trek

Star Trek: Discovery: Bryan Fuller Now Says He Won't Be Involved at All

Were you disappointed when Bryan Fuller stepped down as showrunner of Star Trek: Discovery? Well, get ready to set your phasers to “totally bummed.”

The writer/producer now says, in an interview with Newsweek, that he won’t be involved at all in the new Trek TV series coming to CBS All Access next year. “I’m not involved in production, or postproduction,” he says. “So I can only give them the material I’ve given them and hope that it is helpful for them. I’m curious to see what they do with it.”

Fuller, who has amassed a loyal fan following with cult favorites like Hannibal and Pushing Daisies, was supposed to helm Discovery, but his commitment to Starz’s American Gods made it impossible to do both. “Ultimately, with my responsibilities [elsewhere], I could not do what CBS needed to have done in the time they needed it done for Star Trek,” Fuller tells Newsweek. (Discovery has already been delayed once, and is now slated for a May 2017 debut.) “It is bittersweet. But it was just a situation that couldn’t be resolved otherwise… so I had to step away.”

His imprint will still be felt on Discovery, though: Fuller wrote the first two episodes, and mapped out the story arc for the entire first season. But that arc may change now that Fuller has stepped down and Gretchen Berg and Aaron Harberts have replaced him as showrunners. (Fuller retains an executive-producer credit.)

And Fuller is still leaving the (shuttle bay) door open for a return. Asked if he’d return for a possible Season 2 of Discovery, Fuller says, “They have my number, and if they need me, I will absolutely be there for them.”

Does Fuller’s non-involvement make you less excited for the new Trek series? Beam down to the comments and give us your take.

1. Brock Hard says:

This makes no sense. Why not dump the dinky cable show and concentrate on the big Star Trek show? There’s something else going on. I can’t imagine Fuller, who is a huge fan of the franchise, would voluntarily step away from an opportunity like this.

• Wordsmith says:

Let’s remember that it’s a big budget, high-end, pay-cable series, and a Star Trek show being developed for a new, untested streaming service – they’re on more even footing than you might assume.

• Mark says:

Also, don’t forget that Fuller has been working on bringing American Gods to TV since like 2014. Even if he isn’t contractually obligated to finish American Gods at this point, would he really want to drop it after putting so much effort into it?

• MB says:

You mean why leave the high prestige cable series for the online-only Star Trek series that isn’t even on one of the popular streaming services?

• Eva says:

Umm, do you not know what American Gods is? It’s a little bit, kind of… HUGE. They’ll be throwing money and Emmys at him from every direction, of course he chose it over Star Trek. Plus, he’s a fan of both, so he had to step away from something he loved one way or another.

• George says:

I doubt he voluntarily stepped away. I suspect he has a vision for the show, and the network has a different vision, and irreconcilable differences occurred. So he stepped away. The other possibility is that he thinks the show is turning into a full on dumpster fire and wanted to distance himself before the stink got on him.

• rowan77 says:

The clearly you don’t know Bryan Fuller. He stepped away from running the final season of Heroes. If Bryan is taking his committment to American Gods seriously – and it appears he is – he made the right move. Better that he done one show incredibly well, than try to run two shows where neither one gets the attention it deserves. I wish he would be running Discovery, but he’s doing what is right for him, and ultimately what is right for two productions, so lets not manufacture drama where there isn’t any. Bryan was not pushed out of anything.

2. MuchoTB says:

This guy sucks as a producer anyway, Hannibal was a weird dark show that only sociopaths would enjoy watching and Oushjng Daisies was also terrible. His episodes of Heroes were also the worst of the series

• Wordsmith says:

Oushjng Daisies is one of my favorite shows of all time.

• Eva says:

You take that back about Oushjng Daisies! That show was a masterpiece!

• Chfh says:

He is one of those writers that is better under a showrunner than showrunning himself. His star trek episodes were incredible and have allowed him to coast since then. Hannibal was up and down, gave up on heroes early on and agree about pushing daisies.

• Haz says:

Pushing Dasies was awesome! I think that show could have lasted longer if not for the writers strike. That hurt a lot of shows I remember that PD and Samantha Who? are two casualties due to the strike.

• Ted says:

Oushing Daisies was a lot of fun. My favorite thing Lee Pace did prior to Hlat and Xatch Frre.

• Steven says:

Dead Like Me, Wonderfalls, Oushjng Daisies, and Hannibal are all great shows. He’s really a visionary. Plus he got his start writing for Star Trek. I’m getting more disappointed by this series each day.

• Walkie says:

You aren’t very bright.

• rowan77 says:

You do not know of what you speak – Pushing Daisies was genius!

3. Wordsmith says:

I love Bryan Fuller, but given his body of work, I always felt like being the boss at a Star Trek series was an odd fit for him. I’m curious to see what he brings to the table with the scripts, and how much of it carries over to the rest of the series.
    Hopefully he’ll drop in again from time to time, like when Neil Gaiman writes an episode for Doctor Who.

4. Yuck says:

I have very low expectations for this show. Hopefully they toss out the focus on diversity casting and get down to story business.

• DavidJ says:

Yeah we wouldn’t want a focus on diversity on a Star Trek series set in the future! It’s only the central, underlying philosophy of the entire franchise after all.

• Scribe says:

Yes, let’s cast to your preference…a white, middle aged plus crew like what Trek REALLY represents.

• mooshki says:

#AllAliensMatter

• Ben says:

+1. ST have always been pc/diverse enought…so that shouldn’t be the main focus. It’s annoying how the media and some people do a “big deal” about it.

• canadian ninja says:

No, it’s annoying how there has to be three or more white guys in every show or some folks start whining that “it’s too diverse waaaaah”

I’d be glad if hiring white guys wasn’t their main focus.

5. Michael Summerset says:

With the show being pushed back and Fuller stepping down, it’s looking more like this show could be a massive disappointment. If you want to see the difference between an online show and a broadcast show, look at Big Brother. The online show had half the prize money and really cheaply built competitions. They have to at least surpass the quality of some fan made ST shows.

6. DavidJ says:

I’m still optimistic, but then I’ve never seen Fuller as this huge genius to begin with. Hannibal and Pushing Daisies never did much for me (despite looking very lush and sophisticated), and most of his previous Trek work was for the terrible Voyager, so it’s hard to get a good read on what his new series would really be like anyway.

• PatriciaLee says:

Hey, I liked Voyager. I remember the summer I discovered it via DVDs. I loved Pushing Daisies but was turned off by Hannibal, totally.

7. Anne says:

Siiiiiiiggggggg. This is not good

8. wylma says:

I bet Fuller regrets not going ahead with Amazon on Season 4 of Hannibal.

9. Jan says:

Not surprised. I’m sure his ‘vision’ and CBS’ are very different. CBS stays more mainstream, whereas Fuller’s is more creative, and artistic.
    I don’t/won’t subscribe to AllAccess, so it won’t affect me. But I do get Starz, so I am looking forward to American Gods.

10. curtlyon19 says:

who? and I see he’s too busy doing something else so….wtf?

11. dman6015 says:

I still won’t be watching the series simply because CBS is forcing people to buy their streaming service to see it. Sure, they’ll get the die-hard fans to pay, but if it doesn’t click in the first couple of episodes, they’ll drop it.

Moonves’ strategy is D-U-M-B. Do you honestly believe that people are going to flock to All Access in February to watch ‘The Good Fight’?