Power Rangers Movie Alpha

Power Rangers Movie Offers First Look at Alpha's Drastic Makeover

The latest reveal from Lionsgate’s upcoming Power Rangers movie will likely elicit a few “Ay yi yi”s from longtime fans of the mighty morphin’ franchise.

By now, we’ve accepted that the reboot — hitting theaters on March 24, 2017 — is going to be a gritty departure from the bright, colorful version we watched on TV from 1993 to 1995. That much was clear from the Rangers’ new suits, Elizabeth Banks’ less-hilarious Rita Repulsa costume and, of course, the long-awaited (and super melodramatic) teaser trailer.

So we shouldn’t have been surprised Wednesday when the studio unveiled (via IGN) a first look at Alpha 5, the high-strung robot (voiced by Bill Hader) who assists Zordon (Bryan Cranston) in assembling and directing the Power Rangers. And yet, surprised we were:

Like the Rangers’ new costumes, the movie’s Alpha seems to be more alien-inspired, though we have no doubt he’ll retain his wacky demeanor — thanks largely to Hader bringing Zordon’s short-circuiting sidekick to life.

As one commenter notes, “it’s not like the character of Alpha 5 was going to make or break the movie,” but we’re still curious to hear your thoughts. Take a good long look at both versions of Alpha, then drop a comment with your reaction to his makeover.

1. Alex Miley says:

Eh, I’m totally fine with it. Actually, it looks way more like the original than I was expecting. I’m super excited for the movie. They’re hitting all the right notes for me so far (minus Kimberly’s shorn locks.)

2. Brian says:

It looks like a weird deep sea alien fish.

3. Jason says:

i’m conflicted. On one hand I hate when movies pour on the nostalgia without creating their own story but on the other I do wish it at least had a little more in connection with the old show at least in the design becasue the show was a cheese fest writing wise but i still love it

4. Daya says:

Wow. I don’t know what to think.

5. Wordsmith says:

The design looks enough like the original that if you had shown it to me without telling me what it was, I probably could have guessed.
    I like that he looks more cartoony and alien, rather than like a short guy in a shiny suit with lashing lights.

6. K says:

He’s got a beer gut.

7. Fof all, it was AAYI YI YI YI YI!

8. First of all, it was AY YI YI YI YIIIIII! Secondly, is Cranston gonna shove Crystal Meth down their throats? Maybe thats how they can perform all those wild stunts?

9. Cas says:

I didn’t know the original only ran from 93-95. Man how I loved the show. Never saw any of the movies. Wasn’t there another series after the original? Never saw that either haha. I am excited for this only because the cast looks amazing!

• Will says:

Mighty Morphin’ ran from 93-95, then after that Tommy, Billy, Adam, Rocky, and the new replacement female characters went on to Power Rangers Zeo and then Power Rangers Turbo. After that I believe they changed the entire cast and the costumes/theme/name every year. They still have new “series” each year with different titles on Nickelodeon now.