the voice results

The Voice Top 10 Results Recap: Did the Right Two Singers Get the Boot?

Did NBC just use The Voice Top 10 results night to aggressively cross-promote upcoming premieres of Christmas of Many Colors: Circle of Love and Hollywood Game Night?

Yeah, sure, but who cares? We got not one but two performances from living legend Dolly Parton, a mildly amusing bit of filler in which Jane Lynch got Blake Shelton and Miley Cyrus to sing into a fun-house microphone and an appearance by Pentatonix that makes me wonder if the Peacock Net might be considering a relaunch/reboot/revival of The Sing-Off. (I mean,they brought back Heroes for a minute, so anything’s possible.)

Granted, I’m still miffed — OK, let’s call it what it is and say “outraged” — that exec producer Mark Burnett & Co. are forcing former finalists Hannah Huston, Zach Seabaugh and Chris Jamison to duke it out for a single alumni performance slot next week. I mean, if they just cut the inedible gristle of Carson’s Meaningless Contestant Questions from The Voice bone, there’d be plenty of room on the plate for all three grads (and maybe even Jeffrey Austin #GetOnlyYouOnItunes).

On that gripe, let’s recap this week’s results/elimination:

Sent to Safety (in Chronological Order)
Brendan Fletcher (Team Adam)
Sundance Head (Team Blake)
Christian Cuevas (Team Alicia)
Ali Caldwell (Team Miley)
Billy Gilman (Team Adam)
Wé McDonald (Team Alicia)
Josh Gallagher (Team Adam)

Bottom 3
Austin Allsup (Team Blake) “Tennessee Whiskey” — Grade: B-
Courtney Harrell (Team Blake) “Bless the Broken Road” — Grade: D
Aaron Gibson (Team Miley) “Don’t Think Twice, It’s All Right” — Grade: B-

Because Austin’s been better than Aaron almost every week this season, I took to Twitter to save one third of Team Blake:

But you know I’m always at odds with the Voice‘s Twitter ranks, so naturally things did not go my way.

Eliminated
Austin
Courtney

Saved (for the third straight week)
Aaron

And then there were 8! Next week the field gets cut in half to four finalists.

What did you think of The Voice Top 10 results? Did America get it right with the Bottom 3? Did the correct artist get saved? Sound off below!

1. Mge says:

Our opinions don’t always match up when it comes to regular performances, but I almost always completely agree with your instant save grades. Not so much tonight. Once again, Austin was the pitchiest performer and I certainly don’t think that he has been any more consistent than the other two this season. They’ve all had their ups and downs, but I thought Courtney and Aaron sounded much better on their instant save performance than Austin did.

2. Michael H. says:

Anger. Anger and rage were the emotions that filled my mind when Aaron was saved again. No more, please, America.

• Jeff says:

I totally agree with you..aaron should be packing his bags..Aaron has a weak voice and is boring..no stage presence at all..voting stupidity at it’s finest!!

• Linda says:

I love Aaron and was sooooo glad he was saved. America did the right thing. He also easily had the best save performance.

• Gailer says:

I like Aaron too and he was better than Blake’s two.

• Mark S says:

Aaron had two strikes kick him off
          The only reason why he is there is
          because of CRAZY Miley.and Adam
          Opening his mouth.
          But I guarantee he’s gone next wk.
          Blake’s team got screwed over by his buddy Adam

3. Lee says:

Glad Aaron is still in it. But I not surprised that he was saved 3 weeks in a row. He’s from Georgia and got the East Coast support.

4. I agreed with Adam in that this was Aaron’s best performance of the season. Of the three in the bottom, he absolutely deserved the save tonight. That said, I really wondered if there was something wrong with the sound on my television because nobody sounded great, and a couple of notes threatened to make my ears bleed. Billy is my favorite, not gonna lie, but even he wasn’t stellar. I hope the overall quality goes up next week.

• Smokey says:

I also thought Aaron would go tonight — but that was before the 3 did a sing-off for the twitter save…….Aaron again picked the right type of song for his voice, and a Dylan classic this time that went well with his guitar style,,,, no need for hollerating while blood vessels protrude………… Soon as the 3 were finished singing, I knew Aaron would be saved again, in fact it was obvious to all 5 of us watching at my place tonight that he would be saved again. He wasn’t extra grand, but the best of the 3 tonight.

• davmon says:

Agree. The bottom three I expected. All three save performances were ok but only ok. Aaron chose a safe song for him; and was a tad better tonight.

• The Beach says:

Agree. If we are judging by their save performances then Aaron definitely deserved to be saved. Adam was correct in saying this was his best performance of the season. The vote was very close though with Aaron and Austin both pulling in around 40 points.

5. Mike says:

Tonight’s elimination felt empty for me. None of these 4 are going to make the finals. Even the ever resilient Aaron won’t make it through the chopping block next week. Can we just skip to that please? :(

• Ron says:

No one has mentioned that Team Blake had a split vote. Austin would have won by double digits. Adam also swayed his voters to vote for Aaron.

• Woodmeister says:

With Courtney and Austin gone, it bodes well for Sundance. All those Team Blake voters only have one guy to focus on………….

• Alex Kawa says:

I figured Austin would be safe on the public vote because, even though him and Sundance are both team Blake country singers, I thought Sundance was popular enough to be in his own league.

6. Kurt says:

No austin has been better ever week and should have been saved. He is the type of performer you would buy a ticket to go see in a concert.

• Jeff says:

Totally agree..I wouldn’t pay a quarter to see Aaron..geez..was all the voters drunk

• I would pay for tickets to go see Austin! He is a great singer and performer definitily better than Aaron! Like Aaron but he is just a little boring!

• Mark S says:

Austin is going to be a great country music hit. Should have never been
        kicked off Courtney is gr8 too.
        The only thing that the show was
        Interested in is spot light dolly
        And her crazy goddaughter…
        THATS IT… PERIOD ! ! !😵👹😲

7. Melaniem says:

None of the three sound great but I tweeted for Austin because I think he has more potential than the other two. That said, I’m not sure any of it mattered because none of the three had any shot to survive next week’s bloodbath.

8. Red says:

Can’t stand Billy Gilliam

• Linda says:

I don’t like him either. The tone of his voice is just excruciating and his lower register isn’t very good. Very overrated.

• Smokey says:

I think Billy is a good technical singer with a very good range of voice — however I have never heard him do anything I was interested in buying. since he’s been on the show. ………….He does have a following on twitter and other social media. …………………………..
        some have already crowned Billy or We’ as the assured winner,,,,,,,,,,, but the recent surges of Sundance, Brendan and Christian on Itunes, indicates it may not be a sure thing for anyone at this point…………

• Sun says:

Billy’s song choices seem really calculated whereas Sundances’s do not, even though his are really really smart. Christian is just not that strong a singer–a lack of experience or instinct or something. He labors for breath too much. He’s cute though. Poor Ali suffers feom being Miley’s coachee. With any other coach, she would have been in the number one position. And Gwen Stefani would have done something about Ali’s terrible styling.

• Terry L says:

His name is Billy Gilman. If you can’t stand someone you should at least know who they are!
      And BTW I think he’s going to win the whole thing. By far, the most outstanding performer of the group.

• Billy Gilman and Sundance have been the only performers that I’ve felt compelled to download tracks from this season. Note, I haven’t bought any of Billy Gilliam’s music and I must have been out of the room every time he was on stage.

9. Isabel Ruiz says:

Even if Aaron n Austin are both great singers…, Austin is ready to go professional! He is the most talented n experienced.

10. Denise Ward says:

I can’t believe the voice voters chose Aaron over Courtney and Allen…
    Sooo bummed…What is wrong with you people ?

11. Voice Fan says:

I was shocked that Austin was even in the bottom three and wasn’t worried. I was sure he would get the instant save. I was shocked when the voters chose Aaron over Austin although the votes were close.

12. Linda says:

Hahahahaha! Goooooo Aaron!

(And yes, he is one of my favorites)

13. Kathy Carney says:

Austin has been GREAT thru the whole season. I can’t believe he didn’t get to stay we will hear him on the radio soon.

14. Gablegirls says:

We are done w/this season! The whole season has felt like it’s been set up as “Miley’s new little pet”. There is no way both of Blakes were worse than Miley’s/fan base is large so voting for Miley not her team? Therefore not best artists going on

15. Sun says:

Bleech. This season had turned into the Dolly Parton show. It is hilarious because they brought in Miley to attract younger viewers. Aaron needed to go a long time ago. He has no professional chops, mumbles through his lyrics.

16. purastevens says:

I’m so mad about Austin. He only was in the bottom at all because of Blakes stupid song choice- he’s a country singer with two other country singers on the show and Blake gave him the dumbest song. I like Aaron but he does the same thing on every song, his range is minuscule, so it’s not like he can ever surprise you with some note…

17. Jakay says:

I was fine with who went home. I thought Aaron’s sing off was great. Much more my style than either of the other two. Plus it’s kind of nice not to see Blake’s team automatically get a pass to the next round.

18. Smokey says:

As you look back upon the also-rans of singers who made the top 10 on previous “The Voice” seasons, Idol, etc…. we see most of them going back to what they were doing before the show,,, maybe with a little more added opportunity for them to open a show for a main attraction, or getting a little more action for local or regional clubs/shows for booking. ……. if they even stay in the game …………………………………………………………………………………………

getting a viable record contract, keeping it for a length of time, getting financial support for tours, band support, and meeting the demands of running a traveling schedule…. well, even winners of some past seasons are seldom heard from in the Billboard charts.

19. JMark (formerly JM) says:

Well, the voters were manipulated by the Voice producers yet again. Or did they think it was just coincidence that Aaron sang last and had the most praise heaped on him by the judges??? UGH! Austin should have gotten the save. I wish him all the best.

20. polarvortex says:

Noooooo……not Austin! For crying out loud, this is just the second time I have ever rooted for a country singer and although I didn’t expect him to win I really didn’t want him to go this soon!

21. Blue says:

Michael, you noticed cat commercial (yes it was the worst) but not that Adam was pushing for Aaron to get the save? Austin was in lead, narrowly, before Adam basically advocated for Aaron and then the vote shifted in favor for him. Interesting he did so, Blake had to have agreed behind the scenes.

• Sunny says:

Adam advocated for Aaron because Austin would have beaten boring Bro Country Josh.

• Faith says:

Adam advocated for Aaron because he likes his style the most, and performs music more along the line of what Adam likes. Austin is, to me, a repeat of the type of country singer Blake has picked since Season 1. I don’t want to watch a repeat of the same old thing any more.

22. TinLV says:

it got down to the right bottom 4.. then josh got to stay.. and that was ok too.. next week Aaron’s luck will (finally) run out, i’m sure.. My picks for the final four have been the same all season and they are all still in it as of tonight.. Sundance, We, Christian and Billy.. Everyone seems to assume Billy is going to win.. but I don’t think its that clear cut..

23. julia says:

Courtney should have stayed,she didn’t have the right coach,she have skills ,she was background singer and she writes songs for big stars. She will be okay

24. dj says:

I didn’t like Austin’s song this week. I thought it was a boring rendition. But I didn’t feel like he should go home. I thought it was time for Aaron to go. It’s painful to see the same person singing for his/her life every week. It’s just embarrassing. He gets this look like “Yep, here I am again. Thanks a lot, America.” I bet Blake is pissed that Adam asked everyone to vote for Aaron tonight. Smart (although transparent) strategy to try to keep Blake limited to one horse left in the race.

25. davmon says:

Thought We’, Ali, Billy, & Sundance were Final Four. We’ & Ali on vocals, Billy on technical skill, Sundance on following. No one else had stepped up…Then Monday night, Christian and Brendan did “step up”. Suddenly, we have a 6-way race; any 4 of them could advance.

26. Lynn says:

It seems that at the last minute Adam threw Blake’s team under the bus when he told America to vote to keep Aron on. There’s a pattern of popularity here; if you watch closely…whomever Adam tells young-girl America to vote for, they do…. time after time. It gets nauseating. If it had truly been a contest of the best vocal performance of the remaining three, well….Austin had it hands down.

• davmon says:

Adam and Blake have had the weakest talent all season. Yet until tonight, both had all three. Blake took a big hit, losing two. Adam still has all three. Uncanny.

• StarKey says:

I so totally agree…thanks a lot Adam, that took the wind out of my sails for watching any more this season–that seemed like over the top pandering for Miley’s for some unknown reason to me. Maybe so Blake would have 2 go…so Adam would have 3 vs. 1? Competition is fine, but this was disappointment in instant save for best singer-performer to go home…Austin was not in the bottom all season and Aaron was there twice already. Although I enjoy listening to some of the individual songs, Austin is the one I would go to a concert to see for 2 hours and listen to repeatedly–he was the only one doing his style of music on the show…just love the more southern rock sound. Keep on keepin’ on Austin…

27. danin says:

Whoaaaa..The producers turn over new ground,hahaha, or let us say CREATE new ground on the show by having not one BUT 2 of Blake’s team go home at the same time. I voted for Aaron to stay who I haven’t been much of a fan of because he chose a song I love and did alright by it. I just haven’t been able to get on the Austin train.Not once. I think he suffers from nerves the way Courtney does.And speaking of Courtney who was appealing to me physically& as a human being and I dug her vibe& voice up until the past 3 weeks. She’s just been in and out and awful and back in.All in one song. Nerves I tell ya. And tonight she managed to pick a song that allowed her to sing w/out effing up. She picked a song that wasn’t too tough for her.That’s all I got.

28. Austin is the most talented of the 3 – didn’t any of you hear Blake say he was sick when he sang on Monday night? This would have propelled him to the big time. He’s been singing for a long time. Miley thinks this is her playground- she needs to go.

29. Leslie says:

Austin-no way he lost by 1%! He is super talented.
    Instant save SUCKS

• Brenda says:

Yes it does!

• Smokey says:

The instant save changes the whole nature of the eliminations once they start it. We could wonder if Aaron may have been the lowest in votes for 3 weeks in a row, ?? Anyway, 4 out the door next week, if there is another sing-off and instant save involved, it may not reflect the actual voting at all.

30. CMG says:

As for your comments, Michael, about The Sing-Off… YESSS!! They *definitely* need to bring that back, and not in the ridiculous and stupid one-night holiday special format that bombed horribly the last time. Also, Ben Folds *must* be a judge, that’s non-negotiable.

• Justine says:

I agree! I’ve missed that show a lot recently-especially since a few days ago was the 5 year anniversary of Pentatonix winning Season 3 (at least that’s what all their Twitter accounts told me). It’d be so nice to have good acapella music back on TV again.

• Plastic Elephant says:

Totally agree re: The Sing-Off. However…we saw Pentatonix in concert in Richmond a couple of months after they won and paid $15 per ticket. Earlier this year they came through and the cheapest tickets were $75 or $90 or some other ridiculous figure. Pity…

31. Nas says:

As long as Billy dan Brendan’s safe, i’m okay.

32. BrewsterFly says:

Thanks for the shout out for Jeffry Austin’s new song “Only You!” It is terrific and he should definitely be performing it on this show!! He is by far my FAVORITE Voice finalist ever.

33. Plastic Elephant says:

Didn’t a couple of seasons ago a singer have to do the Instant Save (TM) 4 weeks in a row and ended up forgetting the lyrics to her Instant Save (TM) song the 4th time? Aaron, it’s your time buddy…

34. Plastic Elephant says:

Other random thoughts:
    Aaron is about a half-note off of Adam Sandler doing The Hanukkah Song
    Dolly Parton had a concert in Pensacola last night. Amazing how she made it onto The Voice’s “live” show… Probably the same for Pentatonix

35. No they did not get it right. Austin has been consistent in the middle all season. A sacrificial lamb to appease Miley fans. After 11 years they are letting retweets count too much. The older faithful fans of 11 years who vote on the offical apt are being left behind. This may be my last season. Blake and Austin you didn’t deserve this.

36. Anna says:

Courtney was the only one actually on tune (mostly). Austin and Aaron were both awful.

37. Phil Stickney says:

Devastated indeed. Talent beyond reproach from the bottom three. Billie may not be a winner. Brendon is good, but..

38. Rose- marie says:

Aaron should go home he is in the bottom 3 for 3 weeks that makes him not good I think people vote for who they like not one with a gifted talent

39. Rosemary says:

I really thought they saved the wrong person last night! His voice is not the greatest. I think people like his shy personality! I was very disappointed.

40. Mark Slezak says:

Absolutely not.. it was a fix!!!
    Blake’s team should be three
    Arron and Courtney blew it out of
    the water EVERY time EVERY week
    Twitter is a twit it was fixed
    To get Dolly Parton on the head liner

41. Debra Fremin says:

No I do not agree with the ones sent home. Austin is amazing talent.

42. Songs about Jane says:

It was absolutely ridiculous that three people had to compete tonbe saved from the two elimination spots. Based on ITunes, which is always an exact predictor, Austin should have been safe and should not have had to participate in a sing off. I can’t believe that pitchy bro-country bore Josh and mumbling Aaron are in the top 8 and not Austin.

I am over the way the producers keep changing the rules of the game. And am over that brat Miley. If I watch another season it will be because she and her “godmother” wull be gone. Overall a terrible season.

43. Voice Fan says:

This show is not about the contestants or the votes. It’s about promoting NBC and the ratings. This season Carson seems to be focusing on promoting Dolly Parton’s Christmas movie because the last one brought in high ratings and big bucks for NBC. Adam, Blake and Alicia are pushing 40 and they needed a young singer to bring in the younger viewers.That’s why the cameras and attention focuses on Dolly’s Goddaughter Miley, and her sweet little girl act. Carson calls on Miley the most and she blabbers nonsense but her fans from Hannah Montana eat it up. Aaron gets the votes because Miley and Adam like him. The instant save is a bad idea because the West Coast can’t even vote and everyone doesn’t use twitter and the young kids who favor Miley and Adam do most of the vote tweeting.

44. Before the performances, I would have chosen Austin, but the whole idea of the “save yourself” performance is for the performers to give it their all in order to be saved, otherwise, why even bother. That being said, Adam was correct in his assessment (although I do believe he was being perhaps a little disingenuous as he most likely said what he said so 2 of Blake’s teammates went home as they both seem very competitive and love to have bragging rights) and Aaron really did give the best performance despite some very poor showings during the regular competition. I have to think Miley isn’t the best coach to have because why she thought his previous song choice / performances would have resulted in anything less than what he got, is a mystery.

45. Dennis says:

Which voice coach do the perducer want to win? Miley the cry baby

46. fiberlicious says:

Can someone please tell me – what is Aaron’s appeal? I just don’t get it.

47. judy vincent jennings says:

NO Austin should of been saved

• judy vincent jennings says:

Austin should be the one saved and hope Billy Gilmore doenot win or it will be like last year Sundance Head is good and so is We

48. Mary Zambrana says:

I fall into rooting for a wonderful performer every season only to be disappointed greatly. There have been a handful of winners who deserved that spot. My wish is for Billy Gilman to take top place. Why was Austin not voted through? I feel that he was too much competition for Billy and Sundance.

49. Sheila says:

I think austin should of been saved I don’t know how that Aaron lasted this long..