Star Trek Discovery Cast

Star Trek: Discovery Adds Doug Jones as Alien, Anthony Rapp as Gay Officer

Genre vet Doug Jones (Buffy, Arrow, The Strain) and Broadway staple Anthony Rapp (Rent) are the latest actors to board Star Trek: Discovery, CBS’ forthcoming digital-only reboot, TVLine has learned.

Jones will play Lt. Saru, a Starfleet Science Officer and a new alien species to the Star Trek universe, while Rapp will portray Lt. Stamets, an astromycologist, fungus expert and Starfleet Science Officer aboard the Starship Discovery. Sources confirm that Stamets is the gay character previously teased by former showrunner Bryan Fuller.

The castings follow last week’s news that Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon star Michelle Yeoh is also joining the ensemble as Starfleet captain Captain Georgiou aboard the Starship Shenzhou (not to be confused with the previously announced female lead character.)

At the Television Critics Association press tour in August, Fuller said the new series’ 13-episode first season would “bridge the gap between Enterprise and the original series” and would deal with an incident in Starfleet history “that had been talked about but never fully explored. [We’re telling] that story through a character who is on a journey that is going to teach her how to get along with others in the galaxy.”

In September, CBS announced that the reboot, originally slated to debut in January, would instead bow in May. (The premiere will air on CBS network before moving exclusively to CBS All Access.) Fuller then stepped down from the showrunner position in October and was replaced by EPs Aaron Harberts and Gretchen Berg.

1. Matt says:

A fungus expert? Seriously?

2. I’ll be honest with you I didn’t release that Gay Officer was a rank.

3. Cordell Garrett says:

Interesting, can’t wait and so happy to see gay characters finally in the Trek universe

• dave says:

Will we learn how they were all erased from the Picard, Sisko, Janeway & Archer eras? Chemical? Internment?

• Jim says:

Gay characters and topics were there in the background. I can cite examples. It’s not like Star Wars where George Lucas once said gay people didn’t exist in his galaxy far, far away. It’s only that a main character was never gay before. A main character has never been Arab before either, or Jewish, or many other things. No need to make more out of it that that.

4. dman6015 says:

Gay Officer. Is that above Lieutenant and below Captain?

5. John Riley says:

The reboot was supposed to debut in January, but they are still filling casting spots at the end of November??? No wonder they are pushing it back to May! At this rate, they will be pushing it back to debut in May of 2021…

6. Bella says:

Starfleet finally overturns Don’t Ask Don’t Tell three hundred years after the rest of the universe.

7. eddie willers says:

They’ve been trying to do everything they can do to reach a point where I will not watcg this.

They have finally succeeded.

• dave says:

Well, there are all those Duck Dynasty re-runs to fill your enlightened days.

• eddie willers says:

Or Star Trek reruns. You remember…back when they were good.

• S. says:

*cough* Sub Rosa *cough* As a whole, the franchise is truly fantastic. It’s not flawless and every single series has had weak spots. Slow down. Besides, Voyager nearly had a disaster right from the start with Genevieve Bujold and they figured that out in time. Recasting the lead actress and first female captain after shooting had started sounds like an epic disaster is in the offing and yet they ended up with the right person playing Janeway. They might’ve had other issues, but Bujold being the lead (and footage of her is online) would’ve killed the show that first season. TNG replaced Roddenberry of all people. I’m sad to lose Bryan Fuller as showrunner, but there’s a lot of administrative stuff that goes into showrunning and day to day questions to answer, not just the ‘sexy’ parts like story breaking. I admit I was worried when he took this on after American Gods. I wish he’d handed that over instead, frankly, but here we are. I’m sure he wouldn’t do this lightly. Don’t forget, we still have Nicholas Meyer involved.

8. Steven says:

I thought he looked like one of the Gentlemen! Totally creeped out just looking at him.

• Gary says:

That’s the problem with putting this online instead pf broadcast TV. It’s a lot like government contracting – who can they get for the lowest price…

I don’t have my hopes set too high on this. But, if it turns out good, then I can be pleasantly surprised.

9. Why is it every time a show say’s they are going to have a gay character, it’s always a male gay character? I knew when they first said it that the gay character would be a man, because it seems tv show and movie makers can’t seem to stand the idea of a woman who doesn’t want to be with men! This way they can make sure they have both women and at least one man who is into men! Even when most shows do have a gay woman, they’re usually Bisexual, and usually whether they’re Bi or Lesbian they get killed or die of an awful disease! But since they probably plan on keeping the gay guy around, they didn’t want to have bi or lesbian woman instead! Basically it’s sexism in the LGBTQ community! I grew up with shows having gay male characters, even in the 70s they had some! But I didn’t see a lesbian or bi female until the 1990s! And gay males still outnumber gay females on tv shows, in the last 20 years! And as I said when they do have gay females, they hardly ever live to see the end of the series! Lost Girl is only one that did very good with that, and even they had to kill at least one gay female off before ending it! Even having her get raped and die giving birth to the rapists child! And though we had The L Word, it really doesn’t count, since it was all about gay women! What counts is when regular shows, like Supergirl has a main character be a lesbian, one that they are less likely to kill off! I mean I like that they are making the lead character a female, but it would be better if she was at least bisexual! I frankly think there would be more than just one token gay person on board a ship in the future, not unless there was a total outlawing of LGBTQ people in general sometime between now and then! But I guess that might keep too many people away, and they are more interested in ratings then realness!

10. Agent 86 says:

A “new” alien species? So, one that is either exterminated or leaves the Federation if we never see it again after this prequel series? Doug Jones is incredible, but what is the point of introducing “new” aliens which we know will have no ongoing role in storytelling if they never appeared in TOS, TNG, DS9 or Voyager?
    I hope that Lt. Stamets gets to have a personal life and isn’t simply given a husband back on Earth to explain a lack of romantic entanglements or inexplicably celibate when all of the other crew members get insights into their personal lives, including romantic attachments.

11. Saul Schimek says:

Yup…gonna give this a miss. Tired of the agenda pushing nonsense. TOS was subtle at least, TNG occasionally brought out the message hammer. DS9 was more subtle. Voyager was unwatchable for all of the messaging. Now this rubbish. I’d prefer more exploration and less social commentary because that’s all trek has turned into these days.

12. Michael Summerset says:

It’s sort of like saying they added a female character or a black character.

The more I hear about this show the less faith I have in it.