Post Mortems
Gilmore Girls Berta Emily

Gilmore Girls: Who Played Emily's Maid Berta? (Hint: It's Someone You Know)

Warning: This post contains spoilers about a certain character in Netflix’s Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life. Don’t read on if you don’t want to know.

One of the most shocking revelations contained within Netflix’s Gilmore Girls revival: Emily Gilmore actually found a maid she likes!

On the original series, Emily ran through maids faster than Murphy Brown ran through secretaries. But in A Year in the Life, she keeps the cheerful, ever-smiling Berta in her employ for an entire year — even bringing her along when she moved to Nantucket. (This, despite the fact that Berta doesn’t seem to speak a word of English. Or any other known language, for that matter.)

But did you notice who played Berta? We didn’t give it a thought on our first viewing, but sources confirm to TVLine that the role of Berta was actually played by… Rose Abdoo, who plays surly car mechanic Gypsy!

Gilmore Girls Berta Gypsy Rose Abdoo

Abdoo (also seen on Bunheads and Parenthood) has played Gypsy since Season 2, so her double role here is a great little Easter egg for die-hard Gilmore fans. And it brings a nice sense of connection between Stars Hollow and Emily’s Hartford home. We know Emily doesn’t like setting foot in Stars Hollow… but in a strange way, Stars Hollow came to her.

Series star Lauren Graham has since chimed in about how Abdoo landed the part:

Did you know that was Rose Abdoo underneath the Berta wig and accent? Hit the comments and tell us how surprised you were to find out.

1. Care says:

Had no idea! She looked familiar, but I couldn’t figure out why. Thank you!

2. brittsll says:

Yes! I noticed it when she first opened the door in “Winter!” It distracted me every time she was on screen. Of course, I was also slightly worried that she was secretly taking all of Emily’s things/money while her guard was down. Thank goodness I was wrong on that one!

3. Jill says:

Shut the front door! I knew she looked familiar but never would’ve guessed it was Gypsy

4. Sarah Rhodes says:

Took me a few seconds but I figured it out. I was surprised this site didn’t mention it sooner. She was a hoot on this role.

5. spindae2 says:

Now I get why Emily didn’t fire her. I wouldn’t dare to fire Gypsy either. ^_^

Great call kudos to Rose for pulling it off

6. Amanda says:

Wow I had no idea that was Rose either! She did a great job.

7. jj says:

it was so obvious from the first second I saw Berta. What surprises me is that other people didn’t recognise her right away.

8. N1h1l says:

My god will you stop with this show already? It’s over! Ok, we got it!! What’s next… Dawson revival 75 news a day? WTF!?! Oo

9. MMD says:

Kudos to Cathy who picked it up and posted it yesterday on the Fall Cameos article yesterday. I noticed the resemblance right away but didn’t think any more of it while watching as there were too many things going on.

10. Z. says:

My sister saw it right at the beginning. Everytime Berta came to the screen, my sister said ‘hey Gypsy in a wig’.

11. madhatter360 says:

I’m very disappointed that there’s a spoiler here for Emily’s plot line. I’ve only had time to watch Winter, but I instantly noticed that Berta looked like Rose Abdoo in a wig. I thought I’d be safe clicking on the article to find out if my suspicion was correct. Glad to see I was right but still very upset at having Emily’s story spoiled.

• Kimberly says:

Well it does say at the top there is a spoiler about a character. So your bad for reading ahead anyways

• JJ says:

If you have ‘t seen it and didn’t want spoilers why in the world are you on a web site reading about the episodes?

• madhatter360 says:

Missed the part at the beginning about there being a spoiler for the character so that’s on me. But this article about who played Berta (a character who shows up in episode 1) could easily have been written without spoiling (I assume) episode 4.
      I assume that having seen Winter I could read an article telling me who the actress is playing a role in Winter.

12. Ed Ginsburg says:

I thought Mae Whitman was going to make an appearance on the show, Lauren Graham’s daughter from Parenthood. Did I miss her? If so what episode was she on?

• Martha Villasenor says:

She was in Spring. She is the girl in line that Lorelai gives te cronutcake to.

• Eddie Ginsburg says:

Of course it would have to be in my very least favorite episode. Was that when she was going on her WILD sojourn?

• jj says:

no, it was when she was in New York with Rory investigating why people stood in lines. did you even watch the episodes?

• Ed Ginsburg says:

Be nice. Rewatched. Saw her. Didn’t recognize her, blonde hair and she is shorter than I remember. Thanks for pointing her out. I think I was falling asleep like Rory did when she was interviewing that guy on the street. Thanks

• Sarah says:

Hope you saw Jason Ritter & Peter Krause from Parenthood in the Wild scenes!

13. Karen says:

From her first scene as the maid, I was pretty certain it was her. The hair looked wig-gy, and her face looked very familiar. But I wasn’t 100% sure until it was announced

14. Stacy says:

Yep, I noticed her immediately and went, “Wait! Is that… it IS!” Rose Abdoo is great, so I’m glad she got to be used more.

15. Renee says:

She seemed really familiar but I kept thinking Andrea Martin! Ha

16. Megan says:

I knew as soon as I heard Berta voice that she was an actress that I’ve grown up watching. But it wasn’t until the second or third episode when I could definitely say it Gypsy playing her.

My reasoning though came not from Gilmore Girls, but from Rose Abdoo’s character on That’s So Raven where she played the Spanish teacher.

17. Tish Bustos says:

What a fun surprise! I thought the Berta character was hilarious because I speak Spanish and some of what she spoke was Spanglish and in incomplete sentences. Then I would read the English translation and it became even funnier because sometimes it didn’t match at all! I praise Rose Abdoo’s performance.

18. Brock says:

I was clueless!

19. Jalahyacinth says:

I totally didn’t notice and I even noticed small things like the elderly newspaper employee having been in the steam room in season 1. Very well acted in both roles ❤

20. Est says:

I had no idea. She did seem familiar but kudos to Rose for both roles. I always loved Gypsy and Berta was a great add of heart to Emily’s life.
    Thanks for this Easter egg.

21. Rachel says:

I could tell it was her and thought maybe it was a prank or something. Perfect casting.

22. This has literally made my day! I had no idea until this and it’s amazing. I love Gypsy SO much, I loved Berta in this and now I love her more. Best Gilmore Girls related information I’ve heard all day :D

23. Becca says:

Ahhhh!! I KNEW I could pinpoint something like, “I KNOW this person…why can’t I think of her name?!” Now the world makes sense. And is significantly more awesome. A++++

24. Shauna says:

I knew! Berta wasn’t really facing the camera much, but my sister and I said ‘Gee! Berta is pretty much Gypsy with a wig and slightly different accent!’ Love everything about Gilmore Girls, Gypsy and now Berta!

25. Allyson says:

I had a feeling that the actress who plays Gypsy was also the maid! It sounded like her. I thought it was funny and wonderful how Emily finally kept a maid longer than a week,

26. Violet says:

She was speaking Spanish! It was frustrating to know what she was saying while all the characters kept complaining about how they didn’t understand her. Agh! Ms. Abdoo did a wonderful job. I really hope there are more Gilmore Girls episodes next year, so we can find out who are all those people Berta keeps around!

27. Linda Miller says:

Awesome job! I had no clue!
    Now even more reason to re-watch the entire series to see what I missed the first time.

28. ZmaX says:

Berta was such a delight! I immediately recognized Rose from the first scene. Something very distinctive about her as an actress, her timing is spot on and she makes me laugh with just a simple expression or nod. :)

29. OMG! I KNEW I knew who it was, but couldn’t figure it out. Fantastic role that shows how flexible Rose is as an actor. I really hope there is another season of GG. It felt like there had been no time between the last episode and the the new ones, the flow was seamless. Such a wonderful, wonderful show.

30. FB Walker says:

Yes! It was driving me crazy! I kept telling my daughter that it was Gypsy. I even tried tried to prove it by looking at the credits! Good job, Gypsy!

31. Veronica says:

What a delightful easter egg! I thought Emily caring for Berta and then for Berta’s kids/nieces/nephews/grandkids at the end was really sweet. I’m glad someone we already like played the maid Emily finally connected with!

32. I recognized her and had to hit pause and rewind to be sure. Great job Rose!

33. Oua says:

Holy hell!!!! I never noticed it!!! That’s amazing!!! I loved Berta… but seriously what language was she speaking lmao

34. steph says:

Really?? I was curious who the actress was because the voice sounded familiar, but I would never have guessed that! Good job, I’ll pay more attention to those scenes when I watch it again…

35. Eirodann says:

That was Rose?!? What a stellar turn as Berta! BTW – WHAT is that language Berta is speaking?

36. Leah says:

I noticed she was speaking partially Spanish the other was I don’t even know what. Love it!

37. Frank says:

I was absolutely shocked it was Rose. I really believed it was 2 different actresses. Well done Rose for fooling us all.

38. Katie says:

Yes. I looked her over a few times and then messaged people who I was long-distance watching with that I could have sworn it was her in a wig and people told me I was crazy.

39. Brneyedgrrl says:

SOOO glad that was Gypsy, one of my favorite characters!! She did an amazing job as Bertie. I knew she was someone, just couldn’t tell who. Great little surprise.

40. Sissy says:

LOL! I totally didn’t recognize Gypsy as Berta! But I loved the character and a big shout-out to Rose for her excellent portrayal!

41. Sarah says:

Enjoyed the Gypsy double-dipping!! I’m another one who thought she looked vaguely familiar but never would have guessed. I loved all the crazy cameos and characters from the series, it made it so rich and so fun, but I’m also going to have to rewatch to catch all of them, as usual the show moved so fast.

42. Kathy Baker says:

My favorite (new) character across all four episodes, after the first couple of times seeing her, I couldn’t wait for her next appearance! Rose Abdoo did an amazing job, Berta was one of the brightest highlights – and there were many! Great job!

43. Anna says:

I didn’t know it but kept thinking she reminded me of the actress who plays Gypsy. LOL! Love that it was her. Such a great part.