This Is Us Weight Mystery

Dear This Is Us: Please Stop Hiding How Much Kate and Toby Weigh

It’s only been on the air for two months, but I’m comfortable declaring that no TV series has ever offered such an unflinching, honest portrait of what it’s like to be fat in America as NBC’s breakout drama This Is Us. As a former overweight person who’s still haunted and occasionally tormented by his childhood fat baggage, I relate to Kate and Toby’s journeys. And I appreciate that series creator Dan Fogelman — and Kate and Toby’s fearless portrayers, Chrissy Metz and Chris Sullivan — are unafraid to show us some of the more uncomfortable, heretofore taboo aspects of being heavy (intimacy, nudity, etc.), thereby removing much of the shame surrounding them.

So I was surprised and a little disheartened when in last week’s episode — as Kate stepped on the scale for her weekly Overeaters Anonymus weigh-in and looked on in disappointment at what she saw — the series decided not to show us the number that was starring back at her. Instead, we only heard what the counselor told her — that she lost just one pound. Toby shed a much more impressive eight pounds, but his weight total was similarly kept out of view. And it bummed me out.

By censoring this one area of the fat struggle, it reinforces that it’s something to be ashamed of. And, oddly, it places more meaning and importance on it.

And, on the flipside, by sharing this information with us, viewers can more fully celebrate the characters’ victories and lament their setbacks.

maWhen I was in high school and nearing my peak weight, my father would attempt to embarrass me into losing weight by ordering me — on a weekly basis — to relocate our bathroom scale to the kitchen table after we were done eating the unhealthy meal he just prepared. He would then force me to step on the scale in front of my entire family, before announcing to my mom and two brothers, “Wow, 250 lbs. That’s terrible.” I hated seeing the number. It was worse hearing it, broadcast to the entire room.

By keeping the number a dirty little secret, something that has to be hidden, This Is Us allows it to remain a weapon that can be used against us — in my case, by my dad. Destigmatize it, guys. Let us own our numbers, when they rise and when they fall. We can handle the truth. It’s the shame that none of us need — the shame that the “secret number” subtly reinforces.

1. laura says:

wow
    that’s really amazing and brave
    I also deal with weight, totally understand you :)

2. Whatevah8 says:

Thanks for sharing! I, too, had a weight problem. But I disagree. I don’t need to see the number, it’s none of my business. The journey is what is important to me.

• Eran says:

I agree and disagree at the same time. It is absolutely none of the other characters’ business, how much Kate weighs but for us, the viewers, I believe it is relevant. Kate’s meta-journey is with us at the end of the day, and the message showing that number should put out into our world is that we needn’t fear it, especially those of us fighting to get it down.

• I was a WW for 12 years and we NEVER shared with anyone what we weighed. After our WI we would say that we lost or gained. Never gave up our weight. We only went by our first name. At WW Toby would NEVER be able to see someone else’s weight.. That they did wrong. The overweight person knows she has to lose or she wouldn’t be there, so it is her own business and I don’t think the numbers need to be given. That would be hurtful.

• Saynay says:

Ditto. I don’t care about the number either. The show’s realness around the struggle to lose weight is what makes me love it. I don’t want people to get distracted from that with speculation about how much x actor might weigh and is it real, etc.

• Nicole says:

LIKE! I appreciate the shows realness but putting her weight isn’t necessary. We see in every scene that Kate struggles with her weight. People in the real world can be terrible and doing it may cause her grief on the internet. why give people more of a reason to be hateful?

• TJ says:

I agree…. the number isn’t important as watching the hard work that goes into losing weight. I’ve struggled and I tend to lose weight when I focus on the work…. the exercise, the portion control, the ingredients of what I eat. It will eventually show up on the scale but the scale is not the important number. I thought showing how she stored the food in her fridge, weighing it on a scale, and worked out at the gym was more real than a number on a scale. We know she is over weight… does it matter if it’s 200 or 250 or more? It’s a constant, all day struggle when you have more than 50 lbs to lose.

• Benington says:

I agree… but the reality is that Kate is at least 300 plus…possibly nearing 350. I know this because I was an obese female adolescence topping out at 250 at 17 and she is significantly heavier than I was. I did lose the weight which took 3 years and have kept it off for 40 years. I wish her luck both on and off screen because that kind of weight is not emotionally destructive due to society’s perception of fat people ( it is an addiction and disease just like alcoholism) but the weight is physically extremely dangerous.

• Kim R says:

I agree. I think they chose not to exploit the journey by giving viewers a number. There is no need. We have eyes and can see the battle. I don’t need it to be made into a spectacle.

• Milo says:

I agree, those numbers are not anyone’s business.
      1 pound…there’s a number for you!
      Anyone who’s ever had a real weight problem knows how 1 pound is such a painful number especially when you’ve spend that week eating all the right foods & working out. The pounds they shed are the important numbers, not their actual weight. We are so used to instant gratification that introducing their weights will only lead to audiences focusing more on how the characters are not losing weight fast enough or how they should have at least lost 30 pounds by now.
      What I hope is to visually see those pounds coming off at a rate that the actors and show are comfortable with. Because at the end of the day, the audience are going to be more obsessed with the numbers… instead of the journey. Just because you own and reveal the truth about something, it does not suddenly remove the stigma that society has towards that issue. I feel like this is similar to someone coming out as gay or being HIV positive. People should not feel pressured to come out and publicize any part of their personal life that they do not feel comfortable with until they are ready.

• Stacey Moore says:

Totally agree, if the shows starts giving out numbers that is what people will focus on not the journey. The numbers are not some shameful secret, but they are also not the point of this story.

• KAD says:

I gotta agree with you. I have health issues which resulted in my being overweight and the LAST thing I need to see is the number. Knowing if it’s a pound under or 8 under or a couple over is the only thing relevant. I think you’re projecting Michael! ;-) Although I’m livid that your dad thought it was ok to treat you like that! Shame on him….

3. Gina Hernandez says:

Too true. Being overweight makes a person feel ashamed in so many ways. I have recently begun being very honest and matter of fact about my weight, no matter the number and have discovered that it doesn’t bother me so much when I’m not trying to hide it.

4. bobbi6484 says:

Great point and one I hadn’t really thought of! But, I think you are absolutely right. I wonder if Chrissy and Chris would be comfortable with that though.

• Mo says:

With the magic of computer engineering, it wouldn’t even have to be their real weights if they weren’t. It’s in her contract to lose weight for the show, but she is still not her character. It could be Kate’s weight and not Chrissy’s.

• the girl says:

I was thinking this same thing, but if I were a producer or director, to protect some sense of the actors’ comfort, I wouldn’t display or announce any number.

5. Eran says:

Having dropped 34kg when I was 17 and in a way that was far from healthy, I completely relate and echo everything you’re saying, Michael. That was 18 years ago and to this day I have issues with weighing myself and with that dreaded number, which is precisely why it needs to be more present, take the sting and horror out of it.

6. K`shandra says:

It’s a tough call. I spent 4 months in an intensive outpatient program at an eating disorder clinic. There were weekly weigh-ins, but the numbers were NEVER discussed, even with the patient, as a potential trigger of disordered behavior.

• Steph says:

Exactly. Former eating disorder survivor here. We never focused on the numbers because it became an obsession. My doctors wanted me to be healthy, not a number on a scale.

• Kel says:

Thank you Steph! It’s about health and not a number on a scale. In fact depending on height and body type weight “ideals” fluctuate a lot so I think it’s a good thing that they don’t show us the number. Someone would try to compare themselves to character and might end up feeling even worse about themselves.

• Stacy says:

You make a good point, but I think it’s more applicable to underweight patients than overweight. Overweight folks who are dieting *want* the scale to go down and validate their progress. Underweight folks with an eating disorder tend to get panicked thoughts when the scale goes up, even if they’re technically getting healthier. (And yes, disordered eating can also apply to heavy people.)

7. Erica says:

Can I send you Smurf hugs????

8. Joey Padron says:

Thank you for sharing your story Michael. Glad you could relate to Toby and Kate. I agree.

9. Anne says:

In truth though, at a real meeting like that, and I’ve only ever been to Weight Watchers meetings, they don’t read the number out loud for everyone in the room to hear. At WW, you don’t even see the scale number. They write it down on a card for you, and sometimes verbally say how many pounds you are down if it’s really good. So unless they’d shown a camera view of the scale, they were accurately portraying how those meetings go.

• Michelle says:

I was hoping someone would mention that.. I too have been to WW meetings, and they do not announce the weight.

• Saynay says:

At WW meetings I’ve been to they don’t announce individual weight loss unless it’s in the context of a goal or a high number for that week, but it’s usually after all the individual weigh-ins are done. I have definitely experienced that scene where Toby lost 8 pounds and Kate lost 1 in a ww meeting, but this was more than 10 years ago so I don’t know how they do them now.

10. MK says:

By them not showing their exact weight, for me it allows myself to identify with the characters. I’m able to imagine myself on that scale and I see my own number. I wouldn’t be mad if they did show their weights, but I’m just fine with the way it is. Thank you for sharing your story, Michael.

11. Last weekend I attended my first ever fan convention. As an obese person, I was worried not only of meeting new people but also of flying and fitting in the airline seat. The flights to my destination were smooth and, thanks to a seat belt extender, I technically fit in the sit. Sure, it was a little squished but fine nonetheless. My flight home however was bumpy (and not just do to high winds and wild weather). The old barely-100-pound lady beside me huffed and puffed when I took my window seat beside her. I confronted her head on acknowledging my largeness and saying there was nothing I could do about it. Her reply of “Go on a diet” while accurate, still stung. Throughout the 2 and a half hour flight I stayed squished into the window, barely moving for fear of “disturbing” her highness. She did not, however, feel the same and took to jabbing me in the side with her elbows as much as possible. As soon as we’d come to a full and complete stop and the seat belt sign was turned off she was up and in the aisle. But before she could move away she leaned over and snarled, “If you’re too fat to sit in the seat you should have to pay for two.” I honestly don’t remember what I replied other than “Bitch” because I couldn’t help myself. I managed to get off the plane and into the washroom before I fell apart and got it out of my system.

So to say I feel connected not only to Kate & Toby’s weight loss but the struggles of someone who has been shamed because of their size is an understatement.

Thank you for sharing not only something that was deeply personal but heartfelt and emotional.

• Megan says:

ugh, that’s a heartbreaking story, thank you for sharing. hopefully time away from the situation has cemented into your mind that that woman, not you, was the one who needed a major makeover in order to be a better person!

• Kasey Minnis says:

Wow. I’m sorry you encountered such an incredibly hateful person. I really hope it won’t discourage you from traveling in the future. I travel a lot (as many as 20 different planes in a year, counting connections) and while there have been a few people over the years who looked disappointed when they found out their seat was next to me, most people are very pleasant and I have never had anyone be out-and-out rude. That was an aberration, so don’t let it stop you from con-going or seeing the world, okay?

• ChrisShut says:

I used to be nearly 300 pounds and also had a very hurtful airplane experience once, which left me crying for the duration of the 6-hour cross-country flight. Air trips were always devastating as I saw the horror in people’s eyes as I walked down the aisle, fearing I would be sitting next to them. I’m angry on your behalf for that woman’s awful behavior and I hope you know she’s the one with the problem.

• maltru says:

Hi Elle,

I’m right there with you. I’m at my heaviest weight ever, and fly fairly regularly, either for business or to visit my family back home. I too have to use the seat belt extender, and I totally get what you mean about trying not to move at all in the airplane seat- for me, it’s like I’m guilty for already taking up too much space, so I have stay perfectly still to not take up even more space, even if my arms are starting to ache from how I’m holding them so close to my body! Luckily, no one has actually ever said anything to me (just my inner demons picking on me). I’ve seen looks, assumed they were thinking nasty things, but no one has actually said anything to me. I am SO sorry someone said something nasty to you. Hopefully that woman does some work on herself to figure out why she thinks she needs to comment on other people’s situations and spread negativity in a world already full of it.

• Diane Jenkins says:

You are not the one with a problem…your seatmate is….

• Sorry you had to go through that. I know it’s not ‘mature’, but bitch is the least of what I would have called her. There’s an old joke that goes something like: I might be fat, but you’re ugly and I can lose weight. This woman was ugly enough on the inside to deserve the response.

• Tsiriza says:

Yes she was wrong to treat you that way but in fairness and I know it’s not “PC” to say if you can barely fit you need to buy two seats. Otherwise what you’re saying is that everyone else needs to be considerate to you, but you . . . not so much.

• Amy J says:

Nothing to do with political correctness bro. If the old biddy wanted a luxury flight experience with plenty of elbow room she should have paid for business class. I’ve sat on long haul flights next to big rugby players, babies that cried and kids that kept falling asleep on my shoulder. As long as people are doing their best to be considerate on a flight, that’s all you can ask for – and the OP clearly stated she tried to keep herself as compact as possible.

• Jane says:

I’m so sorry that happened to you. I liked the scene in the show where she said “don’t worry, I paid for both seats” to the person sitting next to her, but part of me thought how uncomfortable it must be for someone her size to sit in those seats. I’m a small person (who was formerly obese), and those seats are not really comfortable even for me. I was impressed with the show for addressing the issue and also the issue of how others treat those that they judge so harshly.

12. Kasey Minnis says:

My instinctive reaction is, like many others here, to say “I don’t need that number. That’s private.” But that reaction is exactly why what you’re saying is true! When I was at my “ideal weight,” I had no problem telling anyone. Even now when people see old pictures, I have no problem saying “I was 150 lbs in that photo.” There’s no sense of that need for privacy.

The idea of a need for privacy about our weight is tied to it being shameful. If we don’t normalize talking about weight without shame, that shame will never go away. Thank you for setting me straight, Michael, and for pointing out how this (consistently amazing and wonderful) show can make a difference.

P.S. I’m sorry your father’s attempts to help you were so misguided and painful. No kid should have to endure humiliation in their own family.

13. Megan says:

Thanks for sharing your story, I think this show is also bringing up the question of how parents deal with children who are overweight, and it sounds like your story definitely does too!

14. pepesi2 says:

I was overweight, than just fat (peak weight – 260 lb) and this year I start doing something to change that number, so now on my scales – 176 lb
    If you really wanna change – it can be done.

• Kasey Minnis says:

If YOU really wanted to change, it could be done. All due respect, you can’t assume that your situation is universal. I’ve been on a medically-managed weight loss program for a year, and due to a variety of health conditions, barely lost anything. I know your comment was meant to be encouraging, but this post is about taking the shame out of struggles with weight, and oversimplifying the issue adds to people’s shame by implying it’s our fault if weight loss efforts don’t work.

That’s the beautiful thing about what the episode under discussion showed. Kate was doing all the “right” things – watching her calories, balancing her carbs and proteins, exercising, for “weeks” she said… and she still couldn’t lose. There are some of us for whom that’s true. Count your blessings it wasn’t you.

• MMD says:

Exactly. Everyone’s metabolism is different plus genetics, health conditions, medication, etc. all come into play. Until you walk a mile in someone’s shoes…………………

15. Mo says:

You have got to be one of the most honest and authentic people in any industry – in particular television and media. From the bottom of my heart, you have my profound thanks for your continued dedication and integrity. We need more people – and Smurfs – like you. Have an amazing Thanksgiving.

16. ChrisShut says:

I’m amazed you can share something so personal and painful. I confess that I can’t bring myself to even watch the show because of what I’ve seen in the ads about her weight issues. I used to weigh nearly 300 pounds, and even though I’ve lost 110 pounds, it would be too painful for me to watch her pain and struggle.

• c-mo says:

If you could ever possibly endure the pain and watch just a few minutes, I think you’d be encouraged. The struggle is for Chrissy and her character, Kate, but the show is so much more than just Kate and her weight; it’s family and life and all of the garbage we all have, regardless of our size, our race or our occupation. I hope you can share your pain and joys with someone, life is beautiful and it’s all the better when we can come alongside of each other and share their pain so it’s not as heavy of a burden. Blessings to you!

17. Nirv says:

This show is a hotbed of triggers. I can’t watch without crying.

18. Natalie says:

Good for you Michael ausiello!! Glad you were able to conquer your demons. Keep battling your tvline family will always be here to support you!

19. TB says:

I’m sorry your dad was so mean to you. I’ve followed your work for many many years and I truly appreciate your work and you as a person.

20. CPS says:

The point though isn’t the number it is getting healthier and happier and that is what they are trying to get across.

21. MLD says:

Congrats on the weight loss, Michael, and for maintaining it over the years but you look cute either way. Sorry your father was so cruel even if he thought he was well-meaninged. Back to the show, while it is great that Kate has weight loss goals, hopefully the result of her own self-journey and in her relationship is that she can have confidence in herself no matter what the number on the scale is. I applaud the show for realistically portraying the prejudices in every day situations that overweight people face.

22. Steve says:

As someone who attends a slimming club on a weekly basis. One the things we never do is discuss our actual weight. We talk about our gains and losses but your number is yours and it’s up to you if you want to share it. In that sense it was an accurate portrayal of a slimming club. I understand what you’re saying but I don’t need to know their number. They’re more than that.

23. Larc says:

I don’t think it’s important for us to know the exact numbers. If they had been shown, they wouldn’t have necessarily been real. We can see they are both very overweight. I think that’s sufficient for the storyline.

24. Stanislava says:

Thank you for sharing this,Michael!I love you even more now <3 And I'm sorry your dad treated you like that-I have similar memories from my childhood and teenage years with my dad so I know how it (still) hurts.

25. Ruthie says:

I am so sorry you were shamed as a child. You are wonderful for sharing your story – that is how we combat shame and claim self worth. xo

26. Jessica says:

I also think it would do wonders if they were open an honest with more than just Kate and Toby’s weights. That number looks very different on different people and there are a lot of people who don’t know it and don’t realize it. Showing that Kate is X and someone else from her group with a different body type is also X or at least close to it can also help with the destigmatization of The Number.

27. syla says:

i love this is us but excuse me, “no TV series has ever offered such an unflinching, honest portrait of what it’s like to be fat in America as NBC’s breakout drama This Is Us”? what are we basing that on? what about mike & molly? i know it was a sitcom and many had critics about it but they showed an honest portrait as well. i will not forget how heartfelt mike’s speech was to molly when he admitted he is ashamed of his own body.or the over eaters meetings. the show itself was the love fun crazy story of two overweight people. i liked that honesty too because they showed a lot what they go through, just like toby and kate. isn’t toby’s and kate’s story a little copy of that? they are the more serious dramatic version of mike and molly

28. mary says:

Michael that would be wonderful if the world were made up of kind, compassionate people. But unfortunately with the g*dawful comments that are being made about this wonderful actress, I can only imagine what they would do if the numbers were shown. You would think nowadays people would have stopped obsessing about how a person looks. Or stopped with the fat jokes(I mean how untalented is one that resorts to those?). It’s disheartening that with this great show, that’s all some people see is the weight, not the talent or person.

29. JDH says:

I am SO SORRY that your Dad did that… That’s horrible…

30. Amy J says:

Thank you for sharing your story. I respectfully have a differing opinion. After a decade or so of The Biggest Loser and its ilk putting people weight up on giant screens, I don’t think TIU needs it. Putting the number there would just be a line for the viewer to compare against, rather than empathise with.

31. Pia says:

I didn’t even notice. But I am an average person. Thought this would be about her decision for the surgery and curious to hear everyone’s take on that.

32. Julie says:

Michael, you are lovely. I am thankful for you and everyone at tvline this Thanksgiving. You always make me feel better somehow – whether you are bringing a smile to my face at the end of a long day with some Gilmore Girls commentary or writing insightful and personal stories like this that I relate to as someone who struggles with weight. Thanks!

33. Ben says:

Thank you for this. I never would have thought that someone who has gone through what you’ve gone through would want to see the number, it would not have even occurred to me. It’s good to get this realisation that (for some, at least) the number does matter and being up front with it is part of the healing.

As someone who has been through mental health issues, I often think that people assume certain things about what the should or shouldn’t say or do about and towards people with mental health to help them. People mean well, but it’s very hard to understand a lot of it if you haven’t been in it. Bringing surprising truths to how people can feel when their issues are dealt with by others is always helpful.

34. H says:

I don’t think it’s deliberate. I just think it adds nothing to the story. It doesn’t matter whether the scale showed 200 or 250. It was about the fact that they are overweight (which is obvious and audience already know) and how she couldn’t lose as much weight as Toby.

If we can’t fully celebrate the victories without knowing the actual number, then there’s something wrong.

35. Robert says:

Michael, I’ve been a fan of yours for eons now – and I’ve followed you from TV Guide, to EW, to TVLine. You are fantastic. I know you already know this, but there you go, I’m just reinforcing it!

36. dianeg says:

I can totally relate to everything Kate is going through. I have been overweight for 20 years and have really struggled with everything she is experiencing. I know this has been mentioned several times already here but I have never seen such a realistic portrayal of the life of a very overweight person before on TV. I felt like I was watching myself. Watching her last night get on that plane and the looks she got is what I go through every time I fly. I am so scared to fly because of those reactions. I make sure I sit on the aisle and squish myself in. I always apologize in advance to the person sitting next to me. I can’t afford 2 seats…but unlike the flight attendant on TV, the flight attendants I have dealt with have always been very discreet about getting me the seat belt extender, and I recently purchased my own so I don’t have to ask. When Kate’s character said her weight is a part of every aspect of her life I could so totally relate. Will I fit on a chair, will I fit in someone’s car, can I do up the seatbelt in a cab, etc etc. I recently started an exercise program and have changed my eating habits, and despite all my hard work, I have only lost 25 lbs in 4 months. So, before you judge someone by how big they are, realize they may have a medical condition that causes this, maybe they are in the middle of trying to lose weight, or some other reason. Overweight does not equal lazy, which is a common stereotype. Michael, thank you for sharing your story, I did not realize you went through this. I have to disagree with showing their actual weight on the scale then.

37. Cindy says:

I’m sorry you struggled with your weight. I have been struggling with mine for more years than I can remember. I don’t care what they weigh – frankly it’s none of my business. Nor is it yours. By asking for that number you are doing exactly what was done to you! If they choose to share it that’s fine – but it should be their choice – not the viewers. And why do we get so hung up on what someone weighs. You wouldn’t ask a skinny person how little they weigh. Isn’t it enough to see that they are both significantly overweight? What would knowing that number do for you? Can’t you empathize with them and the struggles they encounter without that number?

38. Olive says:

But if you hated hearing the number broadcast to a room of people, why should these actors have to have their weight (or a close proximity to it) broadcast to all of us? I’m okay with just watching the journey unfold.

39. mooshki says:

This show may be more fat-friendly than most, but it’s still got a really long way to go. The fact that they’re having Chrissy lose weight is not okay – it is going to be awful for her health. Our whole society has bought into the lie that you can do something to lose weight and keep it off long term, and that just isn’t the case for 95% of people.

40. Arna says:

First of all, Michael, congratulations on your successful weight journey. Many of us, myself included, are not successful and struggle all our lives. That said, many of the organized weight control organizations do not reveal to others what a member’s weight is. It’s a private matter between the person and the scale.

41. Cindy Flora says:

I disagree. There are so many haters out there. And I’m sure there are several blogs. We don’t need the numbers. The pain is there with or without the specific number.
    BTW, they are both lovable, enjoyable, wonderful actors!

42. Sorry, a bit confused. Your Dad made you get on the scale and shamed you by saying your weight. How is that different than the characters showing their weight?

43. Donna Siler says:

Overeaters Anonymous does NOT weigh anyone ever. It is a twelve-step program of addiction recovery. No scales.

44. Maxsmom says:

I would not want to know Ms. Metz weight any more than I would want to reveal my own, there are people who live their lives on line and on social media and then there are the rest of us who want to know what’s going on, make a comment, and keep it moving.

45. Claire says:

I don’t want to see the number, I feel like for viewers who have reached that weight (or higher) and have not come to the acceptance that you have, it’s a punch in the gut. The number doesn’t matter, Kate’s unhappiness does.

46. datdudemurphy says:

I get where you’re coming from….but it’s for an Anonymous meeting, right?

I think the goal there is to focus on the loss rather than the total.

Weight struggles are real, but I don’t think they are trying to weaponize anything here.

47. JJ says:

Maybe they’re saving it for a special moment on the show?

48. Jane says:

Your dad was an ass, and it’s nobody’s business what their numbers are, nor is it relevant to the story

49. Bill says:

Am I crazy, or is the actor playing Toby wearing a fat suit? I saw him in one of the aftershows on the NBC app, and he looked far smaller than on the show…or he wears it well when he sits down.