Exclusive
Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life spoilers

Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life: The Amazing Behind-the-Scenes Story of Amy and Dan's Revival Pitch to Netflix

gg2In lieu of a second Gilmore Girls revival, perhaps Netflix could just release footage of Team Palladino’s initial pitch for A Year in the Life? Because we have a hunch it would play very well with audiences.

As exec producer Daniel Palladino tells me, he and series creator Amy Sherman-Palladino prepared an hour-long pitch for the four-part continuation and presented it to three outlets (including the winning suitor, Netflix). At each of the three meetings, “It was me, Amy and a couple of Warner Bros. executives,” Palladino shares. “And we went into some detail.”

That’s putting it mildly.

“Amy and I would perform certain key dialogue moments — especially comedic ones where describing them just wouldn’t do it justice — with a performance,” he explains. “Otherwise, over the course of the hour it would’ve gotten very dull. There were whole monologues of Lorelai’s that Amy would perform. I would sometimes play Lorelai, too. And sometimes we would recite dialogue back and forth. And sometimes we would stand. That’s how we always pitch things — with a lot of dialogue and a lot of performance.”

The duo — who wrote and directed all four 90-minute revival chapters (which drop this Friday at 3:01 am EST) — went into the pitching sessions with only a verbal commitment from the cast. “We talked to the principal four — Lauren [Graham], Alexis [Bledel], Scott [Patterson]and Kelly [Bishop],” notes Palladino. “And we asked them, ‘If we were to do this, would you do it?’ If one of them said they absolutely wouldn’t do it, we would not have proceeded.”

Check back in the coming hours and days for more from Stars Hollow’s elite as TVLine’s “18 Days of Gilmore” scoop countdown continues.

1. Kiki Heus says:

Don’t you mean “with only a VERBAL commitment from the cast”? Non-verbel means it would have been, presumably, in writing. :)

2. Robyn says:

I. Cannot. Wait.

3. Kay says:

36 hours! And counting! (We aren’t excited at ALL)

4. ToyCannon says:

That kind of sucks that we have to wait until 3:01AM on the East Coast, since Netflix shows /movies ALWAYS expire at 12:01AM ET.

5. jj says:

hmm who were the other two outlets? Did they turn it down, or did they want it but lost it to Netflix?

6. MMD says:

4:01 my time – cannot wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. TV Gord says:

I’m so excited! I usually get up at 3:30am for work, so I guess I’ll be up half-an-hour earlier on Friday! I can watch the first one before I have to leave from work, but…I have to admit, the first thing I’m going to do is head straight the last few minutes of the final episode to see what those damned four words are! :-) (I’m a lifelong spoilerphile, so it won’t ruin the journey for me.)

Don’t worry, I won’t spoil it for anyone…NOBODY SHOULD!!!

Only two more sleeps, everyone!

• MMD says:

You are so much like a friend of mine who wants to know how a show, book, movie, etc ends whereas with something like this, I know I am going to postpone the final, or at least the last ten minutes, for as long as humanly possible because I know it is the end. I drive a few people crazy doing that like not watching the final episode in a mini-series or something and saying “I’m saving it for good”.

Feel free to roll your eyes at me one and all. :-)

• Annie says:

Not crazy I refused to watch the series finale because I didn’t want Gilmore Girls to end. I finally just saw it this week almost 10 years later. I was debating on prolonging the revival but I can’t wait any longer for those last 4 words.

8. Petra says:

Omg i am so so so so so so so excited about Friday yayyyyyyyyyyy

9. Petra says:

Omg i am so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so excited about Friday yall yayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

10. Cassie Banks says:

I’m so relieved Lorelai and Luke aren’t together any more! Luke deserves so much better. :)