Call The Midwife Renewed

Call the Midwife Renewed for 3 Seasons

Call the Midwife is well on its way to becoming the next Downton Abbey.

The popular BBC One drama, which airs Stateside on PBS, has been renewed for Seasons 7, 8 and 9, with a Christmas special included in each, our sister site Deadline reports.

For those unfamiliar with the scripted drama, it follows a dedicated team of midwives and nuns working at a convent in London’s East End in the 1950s and ’60s. The show is based on real-life nurse Jennifer Worth’s best-selling trilogy of memoirs.

Are you a Midwife fan? If so, what are your hopes for the series’ extended future? And if not, what do you have against adorable British nurses? Drop a comment with your thoughts below.

1. Laurie says:

This show was suggested to me and I ended up binge watching all the previous seasons in rapid fire time. Love the show. I will definitely watch these seasons as well. I hear that Chummy won’t be back is that true? I enjoyed her character.

• Kim R says:

I was just going to say the same thing. I love the show and I miss Chummy. :)

• maggie says:

Miranda Hart (Chummy) wanted to come back this upcoming season, but couldn’t fit it into her schedule. But, she has said that she is willing to come back when she is available.

2. Collette says:

I just ordered season one from the library. It’s not really a subject that appeals to me but American TV is so sub-par that I find myself spending more time watching PBS/BBC and other British fare than domestic product.

• maggie says:

I didn’t think it would be a subject that I would be interested in, but I found it engrossing. The stories of poverty, love, devotion to God, devotion to work and helping others, personal pain, personal growth, etc., are universal stories of humanity.

• David says:

I thought the same thing before I started watching. A group of British Midwives in the 1950s/1960s? Really? How boring that must be. I watched anyway. I’m now COMPLETELY a huge fan. The show tackles so many subjects and is just so well done that I can’t imagine NOT watching.

3. Jane says:

I want Chummy back. It seem strange to have her husband but not her.

4. R.O.B. says:

Don’t know which season I am on – I think it is one of the newest. But what I don’t get is, the midwife who is narrarating it isn’t on the show anymore – does she ever come back? How is she narrarating with such detail things she is not present for anymore?

• lindae5o says:

To be honest, I can’t remember if there was still narration after the actress portraying the lead character left. Vanessa Redgrave, representing the author Jennifer Worth, did the narration, so I don’t think we were meant to think it was the lead character speaking, otherwise the actress’s voice would have been used instead.

• maggie says:

Jenny Lee, who was originally the lead character, is the maiden name of Jennifer Worth. Vanessa Redgrave is playing the older version of Jenny. Redgrave was onscreen in the Christmas special, and talked with her husband about keeping in touch with everyone. IRL Jenny did stay friends with some of the women she worked with, but all, including Jenny, have passed on. The real stories that Jenny Lee Worth wrote about were run through in the first couple of seasons, and from the third season on the stories diverged into fiction.

• any mous says:

According to the Special Features section on the 3rd disk of Season 2 the production company had a lot of help from the real Jenny Lee getting all the “ducks in a row” during the pre-filming stage, but she passed away just before the filming began.

5. CW says:

I adore this show. The stories are both moving and engrossing, and the actors are first rate. I hope even more viewers find this gem of a series. It’s a worthy successor to Downton Abbey.

6. Eva says:

This show is so much better than Downton Abbey, tho…

• Sarah says:

Yes, it is. It is certainly not the new Downton in the U.K. Call the Midwife regularly trounced Downton when they were opposite each other, especially the Christmas specials. We Brits can’t understand your obsession with Downton. It never received awards here.

• maggie says:

So those BAFTAs don’t count as awards? If it wasn’t popular in the UK, why did it win Most Popular Drama at The National Television Awards (UK) FOUR TIMES? Last year Downton Abbey was the highest rated TV show on Christmas Day in the UK, beating even Call the Midwife.

I love Call The Midwife, and prefer it to Downton Abbey. But, it’s just wrong to say that DA was not popular in the UK.

• Katie T says:

Call the Midwife never trounced Downton Abbey in the ratings here in the UK at all. Mainly because they never aired against each other,as apart from both airing Christmas specials on Christmas day,they aired at different times of year. Downton aired September to November,Call the Midwife airs from January to March. And they both had similar ratings anyway,regularly getting 8-10 million.
        And as Maggie said,it’s won a lot of awards like Baftas. So to say it was less popular than Downton is completely wrong. And this is from someone that loves both shows

• Livia says:

I adore both shows, Downton and Call the Midwife. And I am also reading the book Call the Midwife and I am loving it! Here in Brazil we love BBC shows! I think that Call the Midwife has more lyric appeal than Downton, so touching us more deep.

7. Kate says:

This is good news… would like to have Chummy return… even if for just a couple of episodes.

8. MMD says:

This is thrilling. I never had any interest in Downton Abbey but love Call the Midwife. I’m with some of the others, I want Chummy back.

9. Romi says:

This is such great news. I love this show too. I would like to see some scenes of the nurses socializing like they did in the earlier seasons. I also miss Chummy.

10. I love this show…I am so glad we are getting 3 more seasons….:)

11. Dale says:

Wonderful show and one of my favorites. As a nurse who started my career in the early 1960’s, I find the show to be very accurate in the portrayal of the medical issues of the period. So glad that i have three more seasons to look forward to.

12. Canada 67 says:

Bring Back CHUMMIE!!! such a brilliant show.

13. A fan of TV says:

I binged this show, even loved it after Jessica Raine left, loved it less after Miranda Hart did, though. Got caught up in real time then stopped and pretty sure I need to binge what’s new. An excellent series, well cast, really entertaining.

14. Charlene Ofstedahl says:

Love this show and am looking forward to watching new seasons.

15. Soraya E. says:

I am a HUGE fan of this series, I discovered it on Netflix and have been hooked ever since. I’ve seen all the seasons that are there so far and it has only made me love it more. The subject in and of itself, midwifery, is not something that interests me, in fact, I have great difficulty with anything baby-related, but that’s exactly the reason why I love it. It gives me all the feels and I love when things I watch make me feel things, good or bad. Granted, I cry almost every episode, but I don’t care. It’s therapeutic.

16. Ally Oop says:

Oh wow. Awesome. One of my favorite shows on TV the last few years. I’m surprised it was renewed as Brit shows often have shorter spans.

17. Yoko says:

Fabulous. Fantastic show. Read the books and see how close they stayed to the real life story. Can’t wait to see whats up for all the ladies!

18. nancy lee says:

Can’t wait for season 6,7,8 and so on. It’s like you become part of their world. Love the realness it shows about how hard life was back in those days.

19. Jean McElwee says:

Please put on Netflix

20. Katy Connor says:

I love the show I can’t get enough its fantastic seeing how midwives and mums and families lived in those times the actors are fantastic I hope no more leave.

21. Kendra says:

I need more from Patsy and Delia! I just want them to be happy!

22. i absolutely love call the midwife, my mother, daughter,son and myself are all nurses and i never miss an episode. please keep it coming!!! we are superfans. thank you so much for fine quality television

23. Lyn says:

I also had to cram all the episodes, fell in love with the characters and the the program and was gutted to find that Season 6 ended tonight, which sounded that it was final. So pleased to now read that there will be Season 7,8 and 9, Please don’t take to long to release Season 7 I am now going to go into Call the Midwife Withdrawal.

24. Janette says:

One of the most brilliant shows ever. I love the characters and story lines but also the way they weave in the medical topics relevant to that period in time

25. Kerrie says:

I love this show . It is so well made like many BBC shows. I usually cry by the end of each episode. Keep them coming.

26. JB says:

I’d like to see more women’s issues of the time– how women were advancing towards the sexual revolution and feminism, but also tied to traditions of the past– balancing feminism while learning how to be wife/mother. I know that the show touches on these topics, particularly for working women. The show touches on the pill, which was a life changer for many women. What are some other medical advances, or changes in medical practice that influenced midwifery and overall health– fetal electronic monitoring? How did the Feminine Mystique influence how women saw themselves in Poplar? Would love to see more class dichotomy— maybe talk about how the healthcare experience was for a middle class/ or upper middle class woman vs. poor, especially since all women were on the National Health.

27. nico says:

I absolutely love the show, not saying it improved my spoken English incredibly. About what I would like to see in the new series I think what you already started: to show the progress of science and medicine in common people life. I just realised that with Chummy the moto-scooter disappeared too. And, since we are speaking about a community, I believe it will also be interesting to see some of the characters (patients) from the first seasons coming into light with a new story.

28. Anna Maria says:

I think “call the midwife should never end ! I wish it will be like the next “the young and the restless”. I would like to see the characters grow old and the kids become adults. Will miss this how very much please keep it going

• Anna Maria says:

Needless to mention, the young and the restless is terribly boring. If i could compare call the midwife to a show i would say Downtown Abbey but Call the midwife is so much better! I just want the length of “the young and the restless” for Call the midwife. I completely ador this show….