the voice darby walker eliminated

The Voice Top 11 Results Recap: Did the Right Singer Get the Boot?

Soon, the blood will flow on The Voice stage like it’s pouring out of the creepy elevator from The Shining.

I’m sorry if that image is more in keeping with the spirit of Halloween than Thanksgiving, but facts are facts (regardless of what you might have heard on the Internet).

And indeed, in a mere two weeks — on Dec. 6, to be exact — four artists will go directly to the guillotine, with an equal number of vocalists advancing to the finale. (A double elimination on Nov. 29 will whittle the field to eight, in case you like to mark these things on your calendar.)

All that is my way of saying that whether or not tonight’s Bottom 2 was a punch to your gut, pain is part of the process. There can only be one winner. #ItGetsWorse

But chins up, Voice-a-loonie nation. As the deeply/unexpectedly charming Miley Cyrus reminded us tonight, “You cant always use your falsetto, honey. You can’t always use those low notes. But you can always smile at someone and make their day.” #ItGetsBetter

On that note, let’s recap this week’s results/elimination:

Sent to Safety (in Chronological Order)
Sundance Head (Team Blake)
Wé McDonald (Team Alicia)
Ali Caldwell (Team Miley)
Billy Gilman (Team Adam)
Austin Allsup (Team Blake)
Brendan Fletcher (Team Adam)
Christian Cuevas (Team Alicia)
Courtney Harrell (Team Blake)
Josh Gallagher (Team Adam)

Bottom 2
Darby Walker (Team Miley), “Your Song” | Darby leaned heavuly on Florence Welch-y affectations, but as her grasp on pitch slipped away like a frat boy climbing a greased flagpole, and her quick vibrato began to resemble a frightened farm animal, it was clear that unless Aaron took the stage and slapped an adorable Boston Terrier puppy directly in the nose, Darby;s time on the show was about to end. Grade: D+

Aaron Gibson (Team Miley), “Budapest” | Call it a copout. Call it a smart strategic choice. But Aaron’s choice of a song with a very limited melodic range allowed him to stay in tune and convey an earnest “singer-songwriter” vibe that’s always popular among reality singing competition voters. In other words, this wasn’t too bad! Grade: B-

I didn’t feel especially invested in the outcome, but nevertheless I took my ambivalence to Twitter:

For once, America didn’t take off its shoe and hit me in the chin!

Saved
Aaron

Eliminated
Darby

And then there were 10!

What did you think of The Voice Top 11 results? Did America get it right with the Bottom 2? Did the correct artist get saved? Sound off below!

1. Judith says:

Yes the right singer was saved. And I have no clue why you can’t understand him or Brendan because I don’t have that issue personally ;)

2. Judith says:

Oh and by the way who the hell is actually voting for Josh? Talk about karaoke and a generic average voice.

• davmon says:

Well, two more go next week. And Aaron, Josh, & Courtney all deserve an exit on the body of their work. Expecting them in the 3-way play-off Unless one of the other 7 oblige with an awful turn.

• Temperance says:

Yeah, we could just save the nations some fast-forwarding time and eliminate all three now.

• Smokey says:

So if it were battle-rounds, how would these match-ups play-out;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
        Sundance vs Austin // Billy vs Christian // Ali vs Courtney // W’e vs Brendan // Josh vs Aaron ………………………………

• darcy the slutty twin says:

I’m keeping him around because he’s a sexy piece of meat.

3. davmon says:

Darby ended with “Whoa!”–and I agreed, time to stop this pitchy pony. And then, Aaron gave voice to a train wreck; he repeatedly inserted “Ewwww!” in his tune–and I agreed, it was a real stinker….America got this one right with these two in last place….Darby’s caterwauling for the last third of her song was like a plea: send me home. Thankfully, they did..

4. Smokey says:

Guess the mystery bubble of Darby’s making the top 11 was popped tonight… Aaron bottom 2 again spells another trip into survival mode next week —- so there is a double elimination next week — Maybe the lowest vote flat goes home and the other 2 still sing-off for the twitter world?

5. Melaniem says:

Darby was awful so I cannot be sorry she is gone. I think both Courtney and Josh deserve to go home before Aaron but, since none of them will survive the bloodbath, I cannot get too worked up about their fates. I think We, Billy, and Sundance are dead-certain locks for the finale but that cutdown in two weeks will be painful-Ali, Austin, and Brendan all are deserving

• OhMy says:

Why painful? Let’s be honest, these are not great singers. Without being invested in The Voice, no one would care, I think. Maybe We’? But . . .

• Judith says:

I don’t really get why people feel Brendan is sooo superior to Aaron. They both have a similar style, similar gruff voice and a limited range but Aaron picks way better songs. I have a feeling if they changed looks, Aaron would be in Brendan’s position and vice versa.

• analythinker says:

Personally, I love Brendan’s voice. I listen to it with my headphones and it’s ingrained in my soul (or at least that’s what I feel). With Aaron’s, not so much.

Also, it could be because Aaron sometimes looks pissed? I don’t know.

• davmon says:

Agree. That is the likely 3-way. And if C & J go, the coaches are even at two apiece. Besides, Blake and Adam went into the Lives with weak teams. And now, THEY are the ones with full teams. Both need a trim. That would mean Aaron going one more round. Oh well.

• Alex Kawa says:

I agree that Sundance, Billy, and Wé will be the final three. Since it’s a four-way finale, it’s a fight for fourth place at this point. At this rate, I think Sundance will win, with Billy being the runner-up, Wé coming in third, and either Ali, Brendan, or Austin in fourth. Technically, Ali is the best singer of those three, but Brendan has the best tone (IMO) and I think he might be popular enough, and Austin, well, let’s just say I’m not going to make the mistake of underestimating country singers on team Blake again.

6. Crystelle says:

I actually like Aaron. :(

7. Linda says:

Would Courtney be skating by if she weren’t on Team Blake? Doubtful.

8. davmon says:

Relieved that voters remembered Ali deserves to go deep. She has been best from beginning. Just hope Miley does not get too quirky with her again, like this week. No reason she should not be Final Four easily–and probably last two standing.

9. melva says:

Yes the right person was saved, Darby was visibly shaken she was in bottom 2, as was her coach, Mileycomment to America was so distasteful, she need not come back next yr!!America has voted, get over it already!!

10. kevstar69 says:

Too soon for a Shelley Duval reference, Slezak. Too soon. 😇

11. Smokey says:

I think next week will be interesting,,, because the right or wrong song choice can still be a big factor in appeal to the voter………………………
    I noticed that Aaron picked more recent, somewhat current Pop songs in each of his sing-offs and got the most support among the twitter voters. ….. Darby had actually outpaced several others in Itunes sales, but that didn’t save her from bottom 2.

12. It’s always horrible to watch people sing for the save. Even if they deserve to go home, it’s painful to watch. Tonight we saw Darby, who’s very young, and Aaron, who’s had to sing two weeks in a row. I admire

13. MamaLis says:

First of all, I have to be the one to comment that Michael was 100% wrong in his predictions last night. Though it might be like a Lunar eclipse, it does happen. Secondly, the last comment last night was @analthinker’s who said something to the effect of, “Don’t count Courtney out so fast, she’s on Blake’s team.” True-that because I’m fairly certain Blake’s votes are keeping her around. In fact, I had wondered why she chose Blake to begin with. Might have been a VERY strategic move for exactly this point in the competition.

Last, We is lucky there are MANY people much weaker than she still remaining. Love on the Brain is one of Rhianna’s most epic LIVE performance’s; We had no business covering that song.

• Angie_Overrated says:

Courtney is stinking up the joint. I’m not sure how that girl has made it this far. Most of the final 12 are pretty decent singers, but she’s very clearly at the bottom of this heap with Darby.

• analythinker says:

One word with Courtney: Blake.

• MC says:

I think there is a tendency to write someone off after a couple of bad performances. “River Deep, Mountain High” was spectacularly good and this week she was decent (although not technically consistent). Courtney does well with these retro songs because she understands the cadences from that era. I guess you have to love those originals (Iike I do) to understand how good she is when she is in tune. I admit she has had a couple of off weeks, but I have not given up on her yet.

14. Angie_Overrated says:

There are a few singers here I like, but only We seems like she has the goods to do anything in the industry. Maybe Brendon because he’s got an interesting voice and he’s quasi-hot?

• analythinker says:

Yes, yes, yes to Brendan! :D

• Angie_Overrated says:

Ha. I take it you’re a Brendon fan? I don’t love him but I most definitely appreciate what he’s doing. I haven’t really fallen in love with any of these folks this season even though I concede that a few of them are very good.

• analythinker says:

Well, not a fan yet, but I find his voice most enjoyable.

• John Anthony says:

HI Angie, Not much talent but Blake or Adam is going to with Billie or Austin. Even they are not great.

• Angie_Overrated says:

I like both of them. Billie is an amazing singer but not necessarily my favorite voice. I have a feeling he’ll definitely be a finalist. Austin hasn’t made a huge impression on me but you can definitely hear that he’s good.

15. Cranky says:

I loved Darby, I’m sad she’s gone. Courtney, Josh and Ali were far worse than her.

• Brian says:

You think Ali is far worse at singing than Darby? Amazing.

• Timmah says:

I have to say that I hated Darby at first, but she was starting to grow on me and am a bit sad to see her go. Not the best technical voice but there was a unique quality there that gave some variety to the show. The others you named are all pretty much forgettable.

• Lizzie says:

That unique quality was way over wrought, to the point of discomfort to anyone trying to listen. I have a small amount of curiosity as to what her voice actually sounds like without affectation, and if that tiny stretch of falsetto was what she could be, I would have liked to hear her with one round under the direction of one of the other coaches. The flower girl hippie thing was very offputting, and the influence of Miley was not a good thing at all. Miley also was terrible for Aaron this week, from the song to the coaching, just absolutely horrible input.

16. Lizzie says:

Yes, the right singer went home, although Darby should never have made it to the live shows in the first place. What a terrible coach Miley is, her interaction with Darby throughout has just been nutty..

• Linda says:

She tried to turn Darby into her mini-me clone and it backfired.

• scott says:

I agree, she never should have made it to the lives. I also think Sophia Urista would still be on the show. I think Miley went with her heart when picking Darby over Sophia back in the first lives, and not thinking with her head.

17. matt says:

Sad to see you gave in to the peer pressure of the Darby-haters Michael. She is a great singer with potential if she learns to control her breathing better. The notes she can hit are at We’s level in strength of tone, she just doesn’t have We’s consistency yet.

• Mike says:

Darby is the worst singer who ever appeared on the Voice. But just as good as Miley.

• Mge says:

I agree with you that she has potential to actually be very good, but what she tries to do to make herself sound special greatly inhibits it. She is consistently out of tune and, in my eyes, rather whiny and annoying with her delivery.

18. Voice Fan says:

I was glad to see that Christian and Ali had enough fans to vote them through even though they didn’t purchase their songs on I Tunes. I was also glad to see Darby go home because she is my least favorite singer. Thanks Michael for telling us there will be a double elimination next week and then the eight will be cut in half. I predict Sundance, Billy and We will be the top three and Austin may win the instant save.

19. I just want Carson to STOP asking those (canned; useless; uninteresting; waste-of-time) questions during eliminations. Wish the producers would come up with some better filler.

20. I likes Darby sometimes it’s the song choice. you say not to use curse words,I’m ok with that but why describe these ppl and their voice like they are trash or an animal? Respect ! It’s like the election all over again and I would say this no matter what person didn’t get to go on.

21. vicki says:

America got it right. Next week Aron will be going home.

22. Susan South says:

It was time for Darby to go. She’s a sweet girl but does not have the pipes it takes to be “The Voice”. Aaron was saved again. With the right song choices he could do better than bottom. Part of the problem with being able to understand the singers’ words is that the music is too loud sometimes and why I am in favor of artists using guitar or piano so they are not drowned out.

• darcy the slutty twin says:

The entire universe sighed in relief at Darby’s ouster. I just cannot fathom why Miley keeps touting Darby as being herself when in reality the poor girl is just one of many American Idol and The Voice rejects with affected and pretentious singing styles.

America doesn’t care about Aaron because Phillip Phillips exists. Exact same voice, plus Phillip can actually enunciate and has a fuller head of hair.

• Lizzie says:

Because Miley is not a good coach, not a good singer herself, and is too immature to be a coach on the show. This isn’t a show about being yourself no matter how much it pains everyone, it is about having a true talent and finding out if you can showcase that ability in this moment.

• Mge says:

Say what you want about her coaching abilities, but Miley is a stellar singer. Have you heard her live? She is great.

• Angie_Overrated says:

Miley used to be a terrible singer, but she got better by leaps and bounds. And she did so quickly. I used to not be impressed at all until I heard her live on the SNL 40 year special. Whoever has been teaching her how to sing has done an amazing job.

• MC says:

I think there is a tendency to believe that Miley is immature because of all that twerking nonsense. What if I told you that all of that twerking (all of it) was a publicity stunt because her previous album had not sold well with conventional, by the book promotions? Miley was raised in a music family and is very knowledgeable about music. She is not a fool; she only played the part of a fool for promotional purposes.

• Angie_Overrated says:

And it worked spectacularly. One of my girlfriends who’s a PR professional who doesn’t like Cyrus one bit said that the twerking with the foam finger is the single greatest marketing move she’s ever seen in her lifetime. Maybe my friend was exaggerating, but hey, even if so, she has a point.

• Christina says:

YES I feel Darby Dif was the RIGHT ONE TO GET KICK OFF THE VOICE… I agree it was time for her to go. Me nor people I know feel she was not really good anyway. Voice was strange..

• MC says:

I loved Darby’s audition and it was easily one of the highlights of this season for me. I do think she was intimidated by the other powerful voices in this competition and thus resorted to affectations a little too often for her own good. The big point, though, is that these shows can be incredibly repetitive just listening to singers go full blast all the time (often without much soul or nuance). Darby was a breath of fresh air and Miley recognized that about her.

23. darcy the slutty twin says:

I just wish Josh, Aaron and Brendan perform shirtless before their time on the show is done.

24. Heidi Miller says:

I like Aaron, its not all about singing the loudest and drama for me. I also like Ali, I only hope she is given a better song next week.

25. Pauline Lane says:

definitely the right one went. I don’t know how she even stayed this long. Consistently off key. This season is the worst in my eyes with song selection. The songs are so outdated. I think the show is going South!

26. Linda Olsen says:

the right person got booted, she was terrible i thought!!!

27. Brooking Weaver says:

The only true singer was Billy Gilman

28. Agnes Fernandez says:

Yeah the saving was just right. That is a voice or singing cinpetetion. And not just smiling and make people’s day…

29. On a tiny unrelated point, I was very happy that Jordan Smith didn’t pronounce “divine” as “devine,” as so many singers do. I know, trivial, but it pleased me.

30. fiberlicious says:

Finally! I’ve never understood her appeal: she couldn’t carry a tune in a bag, her voice is like nails on a chalkboard, and that hippy-dippy thing got old on Day 2.
    I don’t like Aaron either, but he’ll be gone soon.

• Voice Fan says:

Darby gave an interview saying she only went home because people don’t like Miley Cyrus, not because they didn’t like her voice. If that is the case, why didn’t Ali and Aaron go home? They were also on Team Miley, Ali didn’t even make it on the I tunes 200 songs and yet she wasn’t in the bottom 2. Aaron beat Darby by getting 85 per cent of the votes. That sure shows it was Darby and not Miley America didn’t like.

31. Liz says:

I stopped watching after Adam let Simone Gundy get away. Worst. Move. Ever.

32. Ron Dockery says:

I didn’t like either of them.