Supergirl Recap

Supergirl Recap: Cyborg Superman's Reveal Upstaged by [Spoiler]'s Return

Viewers were promised a one-two punch of surprises on Monday’s Supergirl — and they both hit real close to home for the Girl of Steel.

Let’s start with Cyborg Superman, first teased by The CW earlier this month: He turned out to be none other than Hank Henshaw — the real Hank Henshaw — who apparently survived his infamous scuffle with Jeremiah Danvers. Kara made the unfortunate discovery herself after infiltrating Cadmus to rescue Mon-El, but considering she ended up in the cell next to him, I’d say it just really wasn’t her day.

Lillian Luthor also got a few good shots at Supergirl, all in the name of revenge for Lex, whom she claims was betrayed by Superman. (I guess we all remember things differently, huh?) In her darkest moment, a drained Kara even made Mon-El promise to tell Alex to “live on her own terms,” should she not live long enough to say it herself.

Then came the really big twist, and not a moment too soon: Kara and Mon-El were rescued from their cells by — wait for it — Jeremiah! But don’t expect to see a spot reserved for Papa Danvers at next week’s Thanksgiving table, as he remained at Cadmus to ensure his daughter’s safety.

Elsewhere this week…

* Winn and James’ new nighttime hobby raised all kinds of hell in National City this week, and it only took Winn about five minutes to fold like a napkin and reveal his partner’s identity to Alex. To make matters even more complicated, a second vigilante named Phillip Karnowsky (better known to DC Comics fans as Barrage) entered the picture to sully Guardian’s good name, framing him for murder.

* Alex’s request for Maggie to scale back her pursuit of Guardian quickly devolved into a sniffly confession that her heart remains firmly broken. But they still had to work together, so instead of getting to watch their normal flirty work banter… it was just awkward. Fortunately, Maggie crashed the gang’s little pizza party — during which Mon-El asked if Kara is “latched” to any particular man — to assure Alex that she cares about her. (“I hope that one day you and I could be friends, because I don’t want to imagine my life without you in it.”)

* Hank — the fake one this time — confronted M’gann after realizing that she’s actually a White Martian in disguise. I have to admit, I was actually on #TeamMgann for a bit… until she revealed that her blood was turning him into a White Martian, and that it was all part of the White Martians’ plan to rid the world of Greens.

* The final moments of the episode revealed why Cadmus wanted Supergirl’s blood — so Cyborg Superman could enter the Fortress of Solitude to find out about “Medusa.” Dun, dun… huh?

Your thoughts on this week’s episode? Which surprise was more… surprising? Drop your review in a comment below.

1. Teresa says:

I literally jumped out of my chair when Kara hinted at Batman. I know that nothing’s going to come of it, but it’s still really cool

2. Jason says:

Everyone is giving Maggie x Alex a huge pass becasue its lesbian but from a story point of view they’re moving way too fast. its somewhat forced how after so few interactions they are at the “all I want is you” stage.

• Andy Swift says:

I kind of agree about Maggie, but I feel like Alex’s emotions are flowing pretty naturally for what she’s going through.

• datdudemurphy says:

I kinda agree….but I’m really not clear on how much time has passed in universe.

I’m assuming it’s been months.

• Mary says:

Only Alex is at that stage. Maggie is at the “I only want to be friends” stage.

• Well, they can do what they want, we mature people accept that, no need for crying room, skipping exams, or mental breakdown, for silly things

• KCC says:

I can see where you’re getting that. I thought it was too fast as well when Maggie said “all I want is you in my life” because that’s typically a way of saying “l love you” without saying it. But the rest of the dialog and action in that scene didn’t support that assumption. It looks like Maggie was saying she wanted was to remain friends with Alex. Alex even said that to Kara when she went back into the apartment. Alex and Maggie definitely did not part as though they just confessed an undying love for each other. Alex actually seemed a little perturbed when they parted.

• Random Perfect says:

To be honest it does seem quick and forced. I also am a little annoyed that this topic was brought up during a show that airs at 8pm, there are young kids watching this show and not every parent wants to be forced to approach this topic with a 9 year old. Since the show is PG, it should safe for families to watch together. somethings need to wait until after 9pm, lets let kids be kids! shame on you CW.
      smh

• Amit says:

Actually, homosexuality is something that has been addressed in Supergirl comics many times before. It was something that was brought up in the 1996-2003 comic book run of Supergirl, as well as the 2011-2015 run.

• Mick says:

OK for 9-year-olds to watch fist fights, drug dealing, mass killings and other nihilist violence, but not a loving relationship that’s perfectly natural and legal in all 50 states? Huh.

Mom to 9-year-old: “Sometimes girls love boys and boys love girls, and sometimes girls love girls and boys love boys.” 9-year-old: “Oh, ok.” Trust me.

• fiberlicious says:

HEAR, HEAR!

Anyone who thinks that any relationship is less worthy than others deserves to be uncomfortable. Shame on you, Random Way Less Than Perfect.

• kobomac says:

Guess we have another deplorable idiot here. Aliens killing human, human killing aliens, aliens killing aliens, human killing human, sometimes savagely, is OK for children according to you.. Aliens making out with other species, including human, is OK for children too. But a woman attracted to another woman, showing nothing more than a kiss fully clothed, oh that is is so corrupting those poor minors. We want kids to be kids, we don’t want them to be morons like you.

• KatsMom says:

I was much more upset about Mon-El being caught mid-act a couple weeks ago than about anything that’s been happening in Alex’s love life. One of the girls in my kindergartener’s class has two mommies. It’s really no big deal. The kids register, “That’s different” and then they move right along because they quickly see just a normal family doing normal family things. If you don’t make a big deal out of it, then neither will they.

• Jeffrey Boerst says:

There’s nothing, as you are connoting, dirty about homosexuality. It’s part of the world and shielding children from it is like keeping them away from racial minorities. Grow up and let your children do the same,

• I agree. Alex is being way over the top with it and it’s uncomfortable to watch. If Alex were a he catching an attitude because Maggie rejected him we would have some choice words for him. Alex acts like she should be rewarded with a relationship with Maggie because she came out. Not cute.

3. Diggory says:

This episode was really bad

4. Mary says:

I still think that Jeremiah may also turn out to be a Cyborg Superman. It took Kara blasting Hanks with her heat vision to expose the Cyborg part of him.

5. cherry says:

Sorry fans of Alex and Maggie, my kids look forward to seeing Supergirl every week but when they saw two women kissing it was like for my 10 year old, what was that just came across the tv screen and my son was like “what was that? mom…..it break their spirit…..sorry but I could of do without Maggie…..prefer the Aliens…..

• Tai says:

Two women kissing broke your children’s spirit? But I’m guessing they’re shockingly just fine with a man and a woman? They weren’t broken by Mon-El having casual sex with a woman in the storage room at his job m? But two woman kissing?! Oh my god! The horror!

Doubt it was your kids that were broken.

• When the world we live in is full of murders, violence and terrorism and people are dying from hunger and diseases, disasters, there’s rapes, bullying, suicides + more. I can’t believe with all that’s wrong with the world same sex love is what breaking their spirit… or maybe it just breaks yours? guy/girl, girl/girl, guy/guy, bisexuals+ love is love and love is beautiful ❤️ Intolerance is not.
      Also, if something should be disturbing, it’s how Mon-El and Kara were tortured. I hated seeing my fav. superhero/character being hurt this bad.
      (and if we’re talking last week, I’d say the parasite sucking up people’s lives and giving us skeleton Kara and J’onn is actually disturbing)

• Robert James says:

Great… So you’re raising your kids to be bigots like yourself?

• Robert James says:

They must have flipped when James kissed Kara. They’ll be scarred for life!

• bucccaneer says:

I’m surprised your child didn’t “break” last season when James and Kara kissed. I guess humanity has made at least a little bit of progress in that interracial relationships don’t “break” children anymore.

Or maybe your son wasn’t actually “broken”, just curious. Explain to him that this is merely another form of love and he won’t be broken at all.

• mockingnerd says:

Then you have no business watching Supergirl. Homosexuality is something that’s been addressed in Supergirl comics since 1996. It’s part of the fabric of the canon. If you’re not comfortable with that, or it’s message of acceptance, there might be other programming that’s better for you.

• kobomac says:

If that broke your son’s spirit, it says a lot about the bigotry he lives in.

• Kurt says:

I think if you taught your children that love comes in all varieties and that you would not need to explain why two woman are kissing in this modern Era and that love comes in all forms. You watch a show about people bending steel. Flying throughout the clouds, shape shifting and doing things beyond reality. Then all of a sudden there are real life experiences and all of a sudden it’s beyond the ordinary. Maybe you should look in the mirror and say what did I miss as a parent when my children ask me such questions. Love is not fantasy. Supergirl is.

6. Luis Roman says:

First there’s Myriad, now Medusa? What’s up for Season 3, Matrix?

7. Supergirl Blood many Questions Superboy? Power Girl? Bizzarrogirl? and Freaking Batman int Supergirl universe

8. Collin says:

I am so tired of seeing Supergirl, who is “faster than a speeding bullet” get hit, or, shot, or punched. If she is so fast,or, as fast as the Flash, why doesn’t she just get out of the way. In this episode, when she was taken out of the cell, why didn’t she just use her super speed to get rid of all of the bad guys before they made her use her heat vision?

• exactly, she is like a punching bag in a lot of these episodes. I am increasingly frustrated to watch her use zero fighting skills and almost zero brain cells during these encounters.

• Eric says:

Yes!! I was screaming that when the scene was playing. It would have made more sense to give her the helmet while IN the cage. All the while serving the plot point of making Supergirl powerless. The writers need to establish rules in this universe and follow them logically. Else the audience loses it’s suspension of disbelief. PS as for the NTh metal cage other than for FX budgetary reasons why couldn’t Supergirl simply fly herself and Mon-el out with them still in the cages? After all the cage may be indestructible but the cement floor it is bolted to is not. Again a small thing but serves as example of the writers not thinking things through. The Flash is able to do this Supergirl should too.

• another thing about that that didn’t make any sense is how the cages were built you see each of the prisoners and even the main bad guy rest their hands on the bars and even reach through them they are so large there were plenty of chances for super girl to just reach out and grab her, take her id card, disarm her, take her prisoner, etc. She could have easily stopped her from shooting her fellow captive before it happened with her eye beams too and disarmed the other guards the same way.

• Kellie says:

I’ve noticed that too. When I watch Supergirl, I think about all of the powers that Clark had on Smallville that either Kara forgot she has or the writers have. I mean, why couldn’t Kara use her heat/laser vision inside that cage to thwart her enemies on the outside? She never seems to use her super speed and does seem to get punched and knocked down a lot. Clark on “Smallville” would punched and not even flinch. So inconsistent.

• Totally agree. I can’t understand why the writers continually dismiss everything we know and love about Supergirl. She is supposed to be indestructible, faster than everyone (but maybe the Flash), yet she is constantly on her butt. Let’s make her the Girl of Steel and not spend most of the episode getting knocked around. And can someone explain why she has to go back to the DEO for yellow rays instead of just flying to get sunlight directly?

• bucccaneer says:

> And can someone explain why she has to go back to the DEO for yellow rays instead of just flying to get sunlight directly?

Kinda hard to fly up to the sun without powers. Of all the things you guys have pointed out (all very valid ones, she does get her butt kicked too much considering who she’s supposed to be), this one isn’t an issue. Also it was my understanding that the rays at the DEO “recharge” her faster than natural sunlight.

9. Luli says:

How long has it been since the first episode of season 2?? And I live for those Kara and Mon El scenes.. I LOLed with that scene between Mon, Winn and James. As always loved all the Kara and Alex scenes, and good for Alex for making things clear with Maggie.

I still don’t like the guardian scenes… Everytime he was on screen I felt like they were taking me away from the good stuff. (Aside from Winn, whom I love)

• Mai says:

@Lull – Your comment said everything I wanted to. I like Kara and Mon El, although I hope Kara starts developing feelings for him too. Love the Danver sisters’ scenes. We need more. Hate James, and Guardian just forces him on us even more. That dude seriously has no charisma. As opposed to Winn, who’s always awesome.

10. Lena Luthor says:

Aww… i loveee how they showed Mon-El starting to fall in love with Kara towards the end.. i was really looking forward to it :*

11. yvonnelie says:

what medusa??? do someone know about it?? i believe that Mon-el will falling in love with Supegirl just the same as the comics,sometimes heroes fallen (get hit,shot,etc) when they lost their power just like this eps and i skip the guardian thing again *really cheesy* its Supergirl show and not Arrow where the Vigilante is everywhere *BORING*

12. Milo says:

Even though I ffwd all the scenes with Maggie/Alex, I actually enjoyed this episode. James/Winn and Kara/ Mon El were awesome. If we cannot have Kara & Winn then I’m all for Kara & Mon El, they have amazing chemistry. I’m really enjoying the Guardian story-line, even though it cropped up out of nowhere.

• Paige says:

Me too. Although I’d rather see Kara/Winn I’m OK (almost) if it’s Kara/Mon-El. I just like Winn because he’s the kind of guy *I* go for.

13. America Rising says:

The plan to cast DJ Qualls as Batman is just ridiculous

14. I don’t know what I liked more, David as Cyborg Superman, the Batman hints, love this show

15. Dominique says:

i thought alex’ speech to maggie was very justified. maggie encouraged alex to come out and made her feel special, made it seem maggie was interested in alex. alex did all those things, and when she out and poured her heart out to maggie, she stomped on it cause suddenly, she wasn’t into alex and things were complicated. i’m glad alex told maggie off.
    the cyborg superman and jeremiah reveals were great, this was such a great episode!

16. Robert James says:

Last night’s episode was a stretch. Hank can’t be “Cyborg Superman” without the “Superman” part. Unless Hank’s presence suggests that Clark already died, was replaced by 4 lackeys, and one of them was Hank (I can’t think of one comment made at any given point during this show that mentions that Superman died and returned from the grave), then he’s just Hank or “the Cyborg.” Its great that they brought out this character, and I understand why they’d want to shuffle his origin around a little bit like they do for TV shows based on comics, but that little detail just shows how flimsy the future of this show really is and just how seriously the writers are NOT taking canon. Calling Hank “Cyborg Superman” at this point is just stupid.

17. Kellie says:

James becoming a vigilante this season seems rushed. Should have been more of a Season 3 or 4 thing. It’s like they are just looking for something for him to do since he’s no longer Kara’s love interest.

• Phun says:

Exactly! They created a love interest for Kara in season one and that didn’t seem to work. Now what to do with his character. Making him head of Catco wasn’t helping him either.

• jj says:

completely agree. they have no idea what to do with James, hence this storyline. And frankly the whole guardian storyline is boring. I wish they could find a better way to utilize the character.

• Pedro says:

I’d rather they would have written him out.

I mean, he had many reasons to.

18. Phun says:

I was betting Jeremiah was going to be Cyborg Superman and was surprised that they did stick to the comics with Hank being CS. I was glad he was there to save Kara and Mon-El. It was heartbreaking to see him stay behind. I so wanted him to be reunited with Alex and Eliza (next week). I do hope they do not kill him off and is eventually reunited with them.

• Dan Lee says:

I agree, it was weird for Hank to refer to himself as Cyborg Superman. It was kind of a shortcut to introduce the character, rather than have him be developed through several episodes. Besides, the premise of Cyborg Superman was that only Hank’s consciousness remained and the body he created was a copy of superman with cybernetic components. He wouldn’t look like Hank anymore. In this case he would have been recognized as Kal-El when he went to the Fortress and wouldn’t have needed Supergirl’s blood. I guess we will learn more as the show progresses, but this was my least favorite part of the show last night. I can’t wait to see Lar Gand (Mon-El) in uniform!!

19. Tuck Tucker says:

I love the show !! But I am wondering about Mon-el. Isn’t he really from the 30th century and a member of The Legion of Super Heroes ??

• Luis Roman says:

They showed a Legion flight ring in the Fortress of Solitude last season, so I have to believe the Legion is somewhere in their plans for down the road. Mon-El might end up in the 30th Century if he doesn’t stick around.

20. JC1 says:

The Batman reference needs to make Quotes of the Week this week. :)

• JC1 says:

For those that missed it, it was when Kara told the group “my cousin worked with a vigilante once. Tons of gadgets, lots of demons.”

21. Prometheus says:

Of course they are going to ruin this show with the gay agenda.

• jj says:

“gay agenda”? You seriously need to grow up. Whether you like it or not, the world includes individuals who are gay. And there’s nothing wrong with them being represented in television shows. And if you’re such a bigot and homophobe, you might want to stay clear of television shows produced by a gay man. And stop visiting a website run by a gay man.

• Jeffrey Boerst says:

Ya, and not to mention Jimmy O is a darkie…. (you freeking bigot)

22. cool says:

If the batman comes to supergirl, it will be another version not Ben affleck, haters will whine why it is not Ben affleck playing as batman, personally I won’t mind it’s another actor playing batman since Tyler hoechlin did a good job playing superman.

23. Paige says:

It will be interesting to see what “goes down” between Kara and Mon-El, since they are almost biologically “made for each other”. I would have preferred to see her with Winn, but Mon-El is kind of cute too.