Arrow Ratings Crossover Event

Arrow Star Stephen Amell Previews Episode 100 ('A Radical Departure') and Its 'Therapeutic' Goodbyes

There will be no mistaking Arrow‘s milestone 100th episode — airing Nov. 30, in the middle of the CW series’ crossover event with Supergirl, The Flash and Legends of Tomorrow — for any of the 99 that came before it.

“It is such a radical departure from anything that we have ever done on the show,” star Stephen Amell attested during TVLine’s visit to the show’s Vancouver set. “We utilize the fantastical elements that we bring in on The Flash and carry through to Legends of Tomorrow with the present-day storyline to create something… that is not a flashback [or] a flash-forward. It’s something else entirely.”

Arrow SpoilersAs detailed in the official description, “Oliver wakes up to a life where he never got on The Queen’s Gambit.” Robert and Moira Queen (guest stars Jamey Sheridan and Susanna Thompson) are alive and well, while Oliver’s wedding to Laurel (Katie Cassidy) is imminent. “Everything seems perfect, but Oliver starts to notice small imperfections that make him question this new reality.”

The unique scenario “basically gives us license to do whatever we want,” Amell said, “and to show some things that we’ll never be able to show, to have some characters interact that will never be able to interact on the show again — probably.”

In the process, Oliver will finally get a sense of closure with his dearly departed loved ones.

“There [is] a very therapeutic moment for my character towards the end [of the Arrow episode] where I get to say goodbye to people that I never got the chance to say goodbye to,” Amell reveals.

That exchange is probably responsible for this rave review from executive producer Marc Guggenheim: “There’s one moment… that I think is probably Stephen’s finest performance to date. This one scene, that really has two moments within the one scene, will break your heart. It will take your heart, pull it out and stomp it on the floor. It’s very, very affecting. It’s all on Stephen’s back. It’s incredible.”

Arrow fans, what are you most looking forward to seeing in the 100th episode?

1. Cordell Garrett says:

If Steven makes me cry during this I will say You have failed this planet, kidding. Can’t wait and I’m calling it right now. He’ll be under the effects of the Black Mercy

2. Michael Summerset says:

This sounds like something they would have done had it not been part of the crossover.

3. Stormie Woods says:

Oliver and Thea getting goodbyes with their parents will rip my heart out. I’m sure Sara saying goodbye to Laurel will work for fans who care about them. Really excited for the episode.

4. Joey Padron says:

Good preview of 100th episode. Excited to watch it and see old cast members be back on the show again!

5. Shona says:

I’m hoping for a Oliver moment with Tommy that makes me cry… I’m a smidge disappointed that the actors signed across all the shows haven’t made more of an impact yet, or possibly I’m just missing Malcom Merlyn and Captain Cold.

• Bob Wood says:

You took the words right of of my mouth, many of these actors signed on across all the shows and so far we have seen very little of them and some not at all yet. Catie Cassidy has not been back as of yet either on the flash or Arrow accept for this one episode. We should be seeing more of them, i mean we are already in almost half the season.

6. acurat says:

Not sure. It sounds like as I suspected it is all a timeline shift to create the crossover between three of the four shows (in reality, the only thing Supergirl achieves is she leaves their universe to cross over at the end of the episode – there is no real crossover action on Monday in the USA). It will be a way back in time on certain characters which will be gone by the end of the week. I like the shows but I have the feeling I might be disappointed by what they are planning.

7. Luis says:

I wish he’d wear a wig for the fantasy sequences, it seems like it would be appropriate.

8. Pam says:

I can’t not be the only one who is feeling unsure of this episode. It just seems to be a stretch considering what this show is generally about. Hopefully the cast of characters coming back, will generally make it worth to watch.

9. Michele Mcconahay says:

I wish that oliver and Felicity would get back together.

10. It sounds like Oliver is under the influence of some kind of drug and really isn’t awake in the actual waking sense… or the aliens have delved inside his brain to have a look-see at who he is and find parts of himself that he needs to let go of so that he can move forward and they give him that opportunity or just mess with him and it has an unexpected outcome.

11. Agent 86 says:

It sounds a little odd to me. Why would Oliver marrying Laurel be a good thing in this alternate / dream reality? Even if he didn’t go on the Queen’s Gambit, he was still cheating on Laurel with Sara and a number of other women. And how did Robert and Moira prevent the destruction of the Glades during “The Undertaking”. I’m guessing that the entire thing is some kind of dream, which would explain away the inconsistencies and impossibilities.

• John NYC says:

Not necessarily. The extent of the changes isn’t spelled out. He may have been far less of a complete jerk than in the primary timeline (he could hardly be more so).

12. Chris says:

It’s the denominator a mind control . it’s in the comics . they will be messing with everyone’s heads even flash with killer frost

13. Iv says:

After a long time observing comments, arguments & views in the LL vs Felicity case, I”ve landed firmly in the Felicity corner. On Arrow’s milestone, I’ll list my reasons.
    1. LL was a snob, she looked down her nose at Felicity when she thought the latter was just a Ms Nobody IT grunt. 2. She worked @ CNRI because that’s a stepping stone to her ultimate ambition of being DA. 3. She spent more than half of S2 drunk, crying, angry @ the world & blaming everyone for the state of her life, & close to half of S3 crying & being angry @ the world; that’s almost a whole season combined of LL crying & being angry. By S4 all forgotten by comics fanboys. They & LL fans applaud the character development. 4. She jumped Oliver 1st chance she got, didn’t matter that she claimed to “love” Tommy. & she did it again a week after Tommy’s funeral, happily discussing her future together with Oliver. Tommy died for Nothing!
    5. She turns blind eye to Oliver’s cheating with other women including her sister, but comics fanatics say it’s ok because it’s “canon” for BC to stay together with Green Arrow.
    1. Felicity has evolved into a confident, outspoken woman but LL / BC fanboys say she needs to shut up & remain a 1-dimensional comic relief because she’s “not canon” to GA, she’s a minor character from another comics. 2. She’s strong, honest & knows what she wants, but she’s called vulgar names by BC worshippers. 3. Felicity cries some for about 5episode-worth in S3 because she lost a friend and then the love of her life. But 2years later haters still harp on “her constant crying & whining”. 4. She has saved Oliver & team countless times but LL/BC loyalists continue baying for Felicity’s blood. 5. Oliver and Felicity’s romantic relationship is faithful, respectful and supportive, the most positive part of the show. It budded, bloomed & matured over 4years. Yet BC shippers deep in denial call Felicity & Oliver’s relationship toxic, forced & sudden, making many like me go “HUH?”
    The haters / BC fanboys wouldn’t stop howling so TPTB pandered to them & broke Felicity & Oliver up, nevermind the silent majority like me that aren’t on Reddit, Twitter or tumblr who really enjoyed watching the loving interactions between Oliver and Felicity, and very much look forward to their scenes together every episode as a break from the repetitive Arrow-confronts-criminals-Arrow-defeats-criminals-Arrow-savestheday.

14. Bob Wood says:

While this Arrow Episode is still apart of the cross over event its safe to say that most of this 43mins more or less will be about in a way a standalone ep for Arrow, that’s not to say part of it won’t deal with the Invasion part of the story and of course we will still see the others, the Flash, Supergirl and the Legends but I think it will mostly function as just an Arrow episode.