Gilmore Girls Revival: Team Palladino on Melissa McCarthy's 11th Hour Return as Sookie: 'The Weird Thing Was...'

5ggAmy Sherman-Palladino and Daniel Palladino made a little Sookie go a long way in Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life.

“We had [Melissa McCarthy] for one day and of course we threw her, like, a 10-page scene, because, why not?” AS-P told me Friday night at the premiere for Netflix’s four-part, six-hour revival (out Nov. 25). And it sounds like McCarthy wouldn’t have had it any other way.  “She did say, ‘Bring it,” notes Sherman-Palladino with a smile. “And we brought it.”

Despite all the will-she or won’t-she spectacle leading up to McCarthy’s last-minute return, AS-P says the A-lister’s day on the set was decidedly drama-free. “The weird thing was, she walked on [sporting Sookie’s signature] ponytails, with the chef thing and [everything] sort of clicked back into the way it was. She was just delightful.”

Watching McCarthy and Lauren Graham seamlessly slip back into their old rhythms was “particularly fun” says AS-P, “because the two of them are like a weird, psychotic Ethel and Lucy when they get together off camera; they finish each other’s thoughts and they have a whole physical thing that they do.”

Press PLAY above and then check back in the coming hours and days for more from Stars Hollow’s elite as TVLine’s “18 Days of Gilmore” scoop countdown continues.

1. Ryan says:

So we definitely only have Sookie for one scene? She was such a huge part of the show, I can’t imagine her abscence from most of the new episodes.

• They didn’t said 1 scene, but 1 day of shooting. She might had done 30 small scenes in one day, or just one big one. We don’t know.

• dude says:

They said it was a 10-page scene.

• dan says:

No, they said they threw a 10 page scene at her. They didn’t say that was the only thing they filmed. They could have done other, smaller scenes with her, too.

• Pedro says:

It has been said elsewhere that it has been a scene. Either way, a TV scrip usually has 40 pages. Gilmore Girls’ were longer, around 55. A TV episode shoots for 7 or 8 days. 10 pages is already a lot of pages for a single day. I doubt there were also several other scenes.

• S K says:

OK, everyone’s talking about the usual stuff, but is no one fascinated by the comments about Melissa McCarthy and Lauren Graham OFFSCREEN? I’d heard long ago that they were friends/got along well offscreen, by this dynamic that is mentioned…well, seriously, I really want to see this. And of course never will. But that really, really got my interest here!

2. Carolina Alvarenga says:

Melissa is a star nowadays

• Disappointed_In_Shameless_EP says:

She thinks she’s a star, she has had some huge hits with good screen writers and directors and some massive bombs – her behavior towards the gilmore girl revivial was pure diva nonsense as it was the show that launched her (and fought for her to get the part). It’s a lack of gratitude combined with an obvious problem regarding her place in the hollywoodverse

• Carolina Alvarenga says:

I disagree today she is one of the only comedians I give a laugh she has a talent and charisma that many do not have

• Simon Jester says:

It’s not clear that any of the stuff regarding the GG revival was due to McCarthy’s ego, as opposed to the actions of her agent. But this much is certain: YOU have absolutely no information on what transpired.

• AB says:

She’s a star. Even her flops (The Boss, Tammy) made money.

• QYW says:

So, you know everything about this–how? Yeah, I thought so. Sorry to disappoint your little rant, but, she is a star. Frankly, the only one trying to act like a “diva” is the likes of you, I do love sour grapes…..

• TV Gord says:

It’s been a few years since I’ve had the opportunity or felt the need to say this, but here we go…”Crazy Internet People”! :-D (That felt good.)

3. Roberta says:

Please say that there will be more episodes made!!

4. Mike S Eddy says:

I did not watch Gilmore Girls while it was on the air but I have now through Netflix. It was great! All I can say. I want more. I thought I would loose my man card when my daughter suggested I watch it but alas I still have it and now I’m a fan. Please do another season on Netflix please.
    I would like more with Melissa McCarthy in it because it seems Sookie and Lorelai need to have each other.