Gilmore Girls' Lauren Graham on Reuniting With Melissa McCarthy in Revival: 'I Was a Complete Mess'

6dayzGetting Melissa McCarthy to reprise her role as Sookie in Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life was “the final piece of the puzzle,” Lauren Graham told me Friday night at the premiere of the Netflix revival. “It was so important to me that she was part of this.”

Graham’s investment in a Lorelai-Sookie reunion is reflected on screen; it’s not a spoiler to say her scene with McCarthy is extremely heartfelt. “I was a complete mess,” Graham confesses of shooting the emotional (and, as the trailer confirmed, hilarious) sequence. “That was near the end of filming and I thought I [already] cried every tear that I had. And to be there with her and click back into our genuine friendship and also our Stars Hollow friendship was… really mind-blowing.”

Also during our quickie red-carpet Q&A, Graham shares what it was like to take Lorelai out into the proverbial real world (versus the Warner Bros. lot’s version of the real world) during the four-part revival (which drops next Friday).

Press PLAY above and then check back in the coming hours and days for more from Stars Hollow’s elite as TVLine’s “18 Days of Gilmore” scoop countdown continues.

1. leo says:

if her reason was because she’s too famous now, it would’ve been better if melissa was a better comedian. But she’s not. She’s one trick pony. We’ve seen the same character in all her movies post-bridemaids.
    Comedy is hard, she should be more creative and not just using her name to do the same stupid slapstick comedy over and over.

• Wordsmith says:

America loves comedians who do one specific thing really well. We value versatility in our dramatic actors and familiarity in our comedy stars.
      Jim Carrey is a rubber-faced slapstick cartoon. Will Ferrell is a loud, ignorant buffoon. Adam Sandler is an insecure man-child. Bill Murray is a drily charming misanthrope. Kevin Hart is a high-strung, self-deprecating black guy. They each have their schtick, and they’ve played it to great success. Why should female comics be held to a different standard?

• leo says:

Hmm.. Jim carrey has played many different characters. The truman show, The majestic, etc. And, I’m not speaking about standards. I’m not comparing them with female comics. I’m just expecting them to do a better job, female or male. But it’s hollywood’s fault too. They ran out of ideas many times and all they think is moneyy..

• Wordsmith says:

I’d argue that Carrey was still Carrey in Truman show, just with a more nuanced movie wrapped around him.
          But regardless, my point is that we, collectively as a society, don’t expect or desire our A-list comedians to “up their game.” We want them to churn out small variations on what made them famous in the first place, and we frequently punish them at the box office when they try to stretch.
          Who would you point to as being a truly versatile comedy star? Somebody who successfully adapts to diverse roles rather than playing on one popular persona. And not a supporting player, but a leading man/lady.

• DL says:

I don’t think that’s actually true. Most people I speak to wish Adam Sandler, Kevin Hart, etc. would make better movies. And speaking of Sandler, I can’t understand why he’s totally abandoned his push into dramatic acting, after great reviews for Punch Drunk Love and a decent performance in Funny People.

• DV says:

Please enlighten us on your major contributions to comedy that make you an expert on such things?

• leo says:

Oh yeah, we as a viewer just need to shut up and do not complain and accept everything! Pfftt.. However you see it, this can be a good critic for any comedian to up their game.

2. Tao says:

I am so glad she’s back but I wish she had a bigger role in the revival as she was such a pivotal character on the series.

• Collette says:

Pivotal in what way? She was a 9th or 10th banana. In terms of being anything less than an also ran she was behind Paris, Kirk, the Gilmores, Luke, Jess, Logan, even Dean. She was on a par with Taylor or Michel.

• sportylady says:

She was Lorelei’s best friend and a major part of pretty much every episode. You’re letting your bitterness about how you felt about her when this was announced and she wasn’t going to be in it, show.

Or, you’ve never actually watched the show.

3. Angelstorm says:

All right already !! I’m ready to see these episodes / movies now !! Let’s go !!

4. Trogdor777 says:

Everyone of course is entitled to their opinions about actors and genres, and things. Personally, I think Melissa McCarthy is a comedic genius. I just think her timing is so good. For me it’s always been her delivery, and her physical comedy. With the exception of molly shannon, i cant think of too many female comedians who really go for it on the physical stuff. Anyhoo, i digress: these comments from Lauren seemed so sincere, and lovely. (As always). So glad Melissa is among the many who could return. (I always loved their first scene in the pilot when they talk about the peach sauce-haha). Can’t wait to see their new scene(s) together.

5. MMD says:

I’m so glad that Melissa McCarthy is back as she is such a huge part of the fabric of the show. While I realize there was such a kerfuffle about was/wasn’t she going to be back, it sounds like she is in just one scene. I also find it interesting that she and Jackson Douglas (Jackson) are not even in the same season/episode.

6. Collette says:

I used to love MM as Sookie. Then she became a coarse, vulgar, anything for a cheap laugh parody and I lost all respect for her.