Crazy Ex Girlfriend Scoop Greg Leaving Rachel Bloom

Crazy Ex-Girlfriend's Rachel Bloom on Greg's Exit: 'We Wanted to Completely Demolish the Love Triangle'

Fans of The CW’s Crazy Ex-Girlfriend were crushed when co-star Santino Fontana (Greg) left the show last week, four episodes into Season 2. (RIP, #TeamGreg.) But star/co-creator Rachel Bloom (Rebecca) says Greg’s exit — or should we call it “Gregxit”? — was planned all along.

“We always knew this is how it would go,” she tells TVLine. “And we wanted to completely demolish the love triangle. Other shows have love triangles where the other person leaves. But in the back of your head, you’re always rooting for Ross and Rachel. We wanted to do something else, to say, ‘No, this just ends.'”

Crazy Ex Girlfriend Greg Rebecca JoshFor the first season-plus of Crazy Ex-Girlfriend (Fridays, 9/8c), Greg had competed with his pal Josh Chan for Rebecca’s affections. But even Greg realized that his relationship with Rebecca was, as he sang last week, a total s—tshow. “This person has been repeatedly taken advantage of by Rebecca,” Bloom says. “And he ultimately can’t flourish as a person right now, as long as they are both in the same town. Because she will continue to try to seduce him.”

Showrunner Aline Brosh McKenna adds that letting the Rebecca-Josh-Greg love triangle drag on any longer wouldn’t fit with what we know about Greg’s character. “In real life, at some point, if you don’t learn that this is not a good idea, you become not a smart person,” she says. “The character would lose respect for himself. It didn’t make sense, since he’s such a smart guy, that he wouldn’t be learning from his lessons.”

So Greg is gone, and Josh is still keeping his distance from Rebecca. So what does that mean for the show going forward? Bloom hints that “we get to spend the next few episodes just focusing on the dynamics between the women, and Rebecca finding out who she is without men. A little Bechdel [Test] going on. And you see the other women grow by leaps and bounds.” McKenna says Rebecca’s friendship with Paula takes center stage: “I would say Rebecca and Paula’s love story becomes the preeminent love story in that section.”

Brittany Snow Crazy Ex GirlfriendBut all that girl power doesn’t mean Rebecca has given up on Josh. This week, in fact, “Brittany Snow will be coming on,” Bloom teases. The American Dreams alum “plays Josh’s new girlfriend, which causes big problems. It tests the Bechdel between Rebecca and Valencia,” she adds with a laugh. “They become kind of fixated on it.”

Plus, fans should know there’s another man about to enter Rebecca’s life. Scott Michael Foster (Greek) is joining the cast when the show returns from winter break in January, playing a lawyer who upends Rebecca’s professional life. And TVLine will have much more on him in the new year… so stay tuned.

Will you miss Greg? Are you ready for a new man in Rebecca’s life? Hit the comments, Crazy fans, and let us know where you stand.

1. Amber says:

So I keep seeing interviews from Rachel and the showrunner but not the actor that played Greg. I wonder if him leaving was as planned as they say it was or if he’s just upset that he lost his job because the writers had to write a love triangle in instead of just making him Rebecca’s sarcastic bar tender friend.

• Sarah says:

He did some interviews saying that he agreed to some other gigs during the time while they were waiting for season 2 to get picked up. So, it appears to be a mutual thing that he had a lot of other commitments, and the show wanted to lose the love triangle.

• ScottJ says:

I’ve seen a few interviews where he said he only ever had a single season contract right from the very start, and he wanted to get back to his home and family in New York. I also suspect no-one really thought the show would ever get a second season.

• dude says:

His interviews seem to imply it was his choice. He signed on to other projects not expecting the show to get a second season.

2. Phil says:

Very excited for the new dynamic this will introduce to the show! Will I miss Greg? Probably, a little, but mostly for Santino’s beautiful voice. Gosh I wish I had a voice that sounded like velvet. But I DON’T!
    Looking forward to Valencia’s reintroduction tonight, and the increased focus on other members of the cast.

3. Katie says:

So freaking excited about Scott Michael Foster joining the show. And really I think this will work out perfect. Rebecca can spend the next couple of months reestablishing her friendships and hopefully when he comes in, the Rachel character will be open to something new. I’ve always been TeamJosh but this season he’s been a giant jerk and she needs someone new.

4. I’m really sad to see Santino leave because he had one of the best voices on the show. As much as they try to make me ok with the idea of Greg being gone for good it just sucks. He was my second favorite character and I really liked the idea of Greg and Rebecca being end game once they both got healthy (mentally). I’m going to hold out hope that we will see him again. As much as I love this show I can’t imagine it’s actually going to get a 3rd season…unless maybe Netflix or Hulu picks it up.

• Liz says:

My dream would be for him to come back in a season or two and shake things up again.

it’s funny, I’ve been listening to the Cinderella soundtrack – which Santino starred in on broadway. It’s hard not to think of him as Greg even in that. And strangely some of the lyrics took on slightly different meanings with that in mind.

Me, who ami I?
      A far from perfect guy
      A jerk who wants to do what’s right
      But often does what’s wrong
      A drip who’s voice is way off key
      But loves to sing a song
      A dope who dreams like a lion
      But wakes up like a lamb
      Me, who am I But the guy I am.

And think about the following lyrics in respect to Greg and Rebecca…

Do I love you because you’re beautiful, or are you beautiful because I love you?
      Am I making believe I see in you a girl too lovely to be really true?
      Do I want you because you’re wonderful, or are you wonderful because I want you?
      Are you the sweet invention of a lover’s dream or are you really as beautiful as you seem?

Their relationship doesn’t work now, that’s fairly clear. Yet we caught a glimpse of something between them that could have been beautiful. Interestingly, I think Greg sees Rebecca more truly than anyone else on the show. When they both grow into a more stable sense of themselves, it could be magic.

I totally get why they are going this way, and story wise it makes a lot of sense. Sadly the teenage fan-girl in my brain is weeping.

Greg I will miss you, your sarcastic banter, and your beautiful voice more than I can say. Come back for a visit soon.

5. Courtney says:

I honestly don’t believe this was always the plan. Especially since Greg/Rebecca are a fan favorite and they promoted the love triangle so heavily. It seems like they’re trying to keep fans who left. I’m still going to watch, but I’m disappointed.

6. Cassie says:

Greg’s departure may just become my departure. He was one of the main reasons I watched the show. He gave me a needed pause from the cringey-ness in some parts of the show.

7. Vanessa says:

Greg was definitely the best thing about the show. I am sooo hopeful this character will be back.

8. Jan says:

Miss Greg? I couldn’t watch tonight’s episode because I am still grieving. Santino Fontana is why I watched the show. Not sure I can bounce back from that. I think the show needed Greg as its moral center if you will
    And now that he is gone, who can we see to challenge Rebecca. Plus, the man’s voice should be in the Smithsonean!

9. Kristi says:

Miss Greg!!!!

10. Jenna Zepponi says:

I’m still in denial. I think that at some point, Greg has to come back, but I do agree that Rebecca and Greg both need to find themselves outside of each other. I’m taking it all harder than I probably should, but I’m still hoping for a Gregbecca reunion. In an interview I read with Santino Fontana, he said that it is not impossible for Greg to come back, he is just over-committed through the end of season two. Who knows…

11. Cindy says:

Greg was one of the best characters on the show. It kind of sucks without him, and the Rebecca/Valencia/Heather story is just so blah. Boring. I might be finished with this once promising show.

12. I’ll miss Greg so much! One of my favorite songs from the show is ‘I could if I wanted to’. I really expected to see and to listen more of his voice and sarcastic humor.