This Is Us Chrissy Metz Weight Loss Contract

This Is Us' Chrissy Metz Says Her Contract Includes Mandatory Weight Loss, Calls It 'A Win-Win For Me'

When Chrissy Metz signed on to play Kate, a 30-something struggling with her weight on NBC’s This Is Us, it soon became clear that — one way or another — life was gonna imitate art.

Kate’s journey is “parallel to my life,” the actress tells TVLine. And to realistically portray a woman working toward a major goal, that meant that Metz would have to agree to lose weight as her character did.

The actress says she happily signed on the dotted line.

“In our contract, it did state that that would be a part of it, to lose the weight in the trajectory of the character as she comes to find herself,” she says. “That was a win-win for me. Because it’s one thing to try to do it on your own. But as human beings, it’s an ego thing: We’re more likely to do something for someone else.”

She adds that a job that came with the caveat that she gradually improve her health was that “different kind of motivation, so I was excited about it.”

This Is Us Chrissy Metz Weight Loss ContractThe NBC drama opened with Kate at a very low point: On her 36th birthday, she realized that her childhood visions of having a husband and family weren’t going to happen unless she made significant changes. “Look at me, Kev,” she lamented to her twin brother. “Like, I ate my dream life away.” She went on to join an Overeaters Anonymous-like group and meet a “fat friend” named Toby who became her boyfriend. As the season has progressed, we’ve watched her celebrate wins (intimacy with Toby) and experience setbacks (those gas-station donuts).

Behind the scenes, Metz says there have been “discussions” about Kate’s story eventually focusing on other facets of her life, “which is even more exciting. So I’m just rolling with the punches… I, as Chrissy, want to do things that mentally, emotionally and physically make me the best that I can be. That’s the intention for our writers and the development of the character.”

And before you can compose that angry tweet, hear this: Metz knows that you might view her eventual weight-loss as the byproduct of fame. After all, many stars — Jennifer Hudson (American Idol) and Ricki Lake (China Beach), for example — whittled themselves down significantly after landing major gigs.

“I just have to be very clear,” she says. “Whether or not I lose weight or stay the same, it’s purely a choice of mine for health. Not because I think that plus size, curvy, voluptuous, big bodies aren’t attractive — because I think they’re awesome and sexy.”

She continues: “So I’ll just have to make sure that’s known, because I’m not selling out the big girls.” She laughs. “I don’t do that. That’s not me.”

1. Sam says:

“whittled themselves down…”

I find this simultaneously funny and tone-deaf.

• Vee says:

And i think you are majoring on the minors. Why is that a “bad” phrase?
      I am glad she is going to lose some weight, I think we can all be kind and positive without being forced to say “Hey, not only is it a *great* choice to be over a healthy weight, I also think we should make it equal to saying the n-word to ever dare ever think that you might be healthier if you made some changes to the way you eat and if also necessary, to the amount of exercise you are getting!”.

I am someone whose biggest fear my entire life has been this – hurting another person. Especially with words. I grew up with freaking daily mental and emotional abuse from my father nightly and on those days that are supposed to be awesome when you are 9 years til death years old, weekends, and was bullied everyday at school, & in the 1.5 hours between the Bullying/Abuse Night Shift not breathing a sigh of relief, but having panic attacks. I SWORE I would never make anyone feel like that. Now i get accused of “having too much empathy” and putting others first. Sometimes like that is a bad thing. my life still kind of sucks, but I’m *not* taking anyone down with me.

OK so now that I have hopefully established my not a jerk cred.. I also have a chronic physical illness with no cure. I know that (panic attacks should not be a worry while one searches for the non-offensive words! Arrgh!) Being overweight can bring physical ailments into one’s life that CAN BE AVOIDED!! And as a person who is incurably ill and became that way a whole year after thinking I left the abuse behind me, but had to go back due to illness? If you can do ANYTHING to not get sick or be in pain – do it!! My best friend watched his father lose his health, one body part at a time, to diabetes caused by obesity. So what did he do? Exactly what his father did! But worse :( I watched him eat crap for years, get on blood pressure meds at 29 (because of his weight) and now he is losing his eyesight. Just like his Dad. He will probably lose his feet next. But he is 43 and told that Big Is Beautiful – and he thinks he needs that in his life more than the real threat of losing his ability to see, to walk, and probably to live.

Why are we not allowed to say that weighing a certain amount – that eating too much crap and sitting all day (or whatever caused it my gosh this is impossible to do whilst trying to be sure no one is offended) is not a great idea?! Why? I want Chrissy to be as healthy as possible. I want my best friend to as well. But nope! I have to say “I love curves too, that is just a curve, not fat!”. There is no such thing as fat and it never causes any illness or bum knees or bad backs. Big and beautiful is the way to go. NO! Take care of yourself so you don’t have to hurt! Constant physical pain is not just awful because of the obvious, but it steals from your soul and spirit and who you are. So GO CHRISSY! I am so proud of her and I think it is fantastic that she is taking steps to keep illness and pain away, doing all she can. Please – anyone still paying attention. Take care of yourself. Do what you can do be healthy in all ways. Imagine if you could have helped someone, but because PC is more important, they died. That would be horrible. It is not great to put one’s life at risk. It just isn’t. and who cares if the writer chose “whittled down” rather than whatever the PC phrase is? If she does this the right way, no crash dieting crap, then HURRAY! Go whittle! So many of us will be cheering you on, Chrissy! You can absolutely do this!

• Deborah Larsen says:

I love your reply, Vee! I’m so sick of feeling pressured to give the PC answer for everything. Truth with kindness will always be the best advice. Thank you.

2. Losing weight is not an “ego thing”. Perhaps starting to do it is, but actually doing it isn’t.
    Your body will fight you every step of the way, literally. It will attack its major organs, give you depressions (basicly making you bipolar, since excercise will release endorphines making you happy too). Your body wants to keep its extra fat. It’s made to want it.

For those of you who are beginning to fight the fat fight against your own body, and is discouraged by weight gain. Don’t worry and keep at it. You’re just building muscle. Muscle takes less space per gram than fat, so you won’t see it. But once your body has enough muscle for your routine, it’ll start to burn off fat.

• Janet Marie says:

Wonderful comment, I quit weighing myself and just watched as I went from 40 inch waist, to 38, to 36, and now to 34. The scale says 25-30lbs (I go to the doctors, they make you weight yourself!). I felt better, that’s should be the focus. It took 6 months before anything moved, inches vs wt. I didn’t care, I “felt” better.

• Playhouse says:

I believe what she meant was it’s easy to give up on pursuing weight loss goals when you are just doing it for or by yourself. You fall into old patterns, old behaviors, start marking compromises and bargains. The “ego part” is often thinking you can do it strictly by yourself if part of the issue is your way of thinking that contributed in the first place. Having an outside goal, focus, or motivation can often be very positive and keep one on track. Accountability to someone or something else can keep you on course.

I don’t think she’s wrong in that.

3. webly3 says:

I feel very mixed on her being contractually obligated to lose weight. I guess as long as she’s doing it in a healthily way and for health purposes then I’m fine with that.

• jj says:

and it’s consensual.

• AB says:

And it really is a healthier life style. Sure she’s young but overweight people face a lot of weight related issues when they get older.

• Jim says:

It’s probably unenforceable. So it being in the contract is really just a motivator. But as long as they’re supplying everything she needs to do it–dietician, trainer, catered meals–and she’s physically healthy enough to do it, I think it’s all right anyway.

• Pedro says:

Pretty common and enforceable. They can allege she broke the contract and let her go.

• Jim says:

I don’t know. You can’t put in an employment contract that a woman won’t get pregnant, for example. She’d have a pretty good discrimination case if she was fired over it, as long as she can show she tried reasonably to lose the weight and was unable, regardless of what she signed. At least in California which is where I think the production is.

• Pedro says:

Henry Cavil has in his contract not only that he has to work out a number of hours, but that he can only eat meals provided by the studio-hired nutritionist.

Reneé Zellweger was paid a million every two pounds for the weight she put on for Bridget Jones: Edge of Reason.

These contracts are common, enforceable and your pregnancy example doesn’t fit, because losing weight is very different from being required to kill an unborn human being.

• Vee says:

Well, what we think pretty much doesn’t matter. If she didn’t want to do this, she didn’t have to take the job. Not like they told her a year in “Oh by the way, we are going to need you to lose x amount of pounds by Tuesday!”. So cheer up :)

4. Kevin says:

Kate is such a beloved character on This Is Us. She and Toby are having quite a chemistry since the pilot.

5. Anne says:

Ug. There’s a huge difference between losing weight and being thin. Millions of fat people are in excellent physical health and many are full athletes…who just happen to be fat. Anti fat is based ONLY on looks. If we were truly health focused we would be AS concerned about thin people who eat terribly as we are about fat people.
    I have no problem with her getting essentially paid to work out, but the idea that she’s doing it to lose weight to fit into the idea of what ‘health’ looks like is problematic. Work out because you want to be stronger, want to have good heart health, or to have fun.

• dextersm says:

You could totally be not overweight and unhealthy. But I don’t see how you can be in excellent physical health when you are fat. And those fat athletes, they are not healthy.

• Pia says:

“those fat athletes, they are not healthy.”

I am not sure how you can know this. Those Olympic shot-putters are probably pretty healthy.

• kevstar69 says:

If a person was anorexic, we would say eat something, get yourself healthy.
      We shouldn’t be afraid to tell a morbidly obese person to get help.

• Kiki says:

Nice thought, but unless you know the person and unless you have explicit in-depth knowledge of this person’s struggles and what they have already tried to do to help themselves, you should stay the hell out of it. The only thing you can tell by looking at a fat person is that they are fat. That’s it.

• S says:

It’s as simple as calories in, calories out for the majority of people. So yes, most of the time you can tell a lot by how big they are. I used to be a fatty, but I stopped being so lazy and eating everything I wanted. I didn’t follow any fad diet, I counted calories, got off my lazy a** and exercised 5-6 times a week. Some people want more from life and actually do something to accomplish it, others make excuses.

• Becca says:

And some of us are physically disabled or have some other medical issue. And most football players qualify as obese. Just because it was easy for you doesn’t mean it is easy for everyone

• Grace says:

“for the majority of people” being the key phrase. you have acknowledged that it’s not true for everyone, so you should also acknowledge that you cannot ever actually KNOW a specific person is not the exception to that rule without knowing anything about them other than they’re fat.

• Walkie says:

She’s incredibly overweight. Her life is in danger if she doesn’t do something. What better motivation that this? Hope she can do it.

• Yes there is a difference between losing weight and being thin. But no the majority of fat people are not in excellent physical health or full athletes.

I’m not saying that to be mean or bias I’m just stating information I know to be true based off of the many family members in my life who have been in careers of various types of health and physical wellness for many many years.

You can be big and have muscle. You can be fat and have muscle. But there are no Athletes that are “just fat” and being “just fat” and being in excellent physical health isn’t possible.
      HOWEVER there are a ton of people who don’t have any control over it at all and it is unfair to discriminate against them and assume they are lazy or don’t care about their weight or wellbeing. Just like there are plenty of skinny people like me who “look really healthy” because they are skinny but in actuality are more out of shape than most people because they have a freakishly inhumanly fast metabolism. So don’t assume all skinny people exercise and work out all the time or that all fat people are lazy and never exercise as neither statement is anywhere close to the truth.

The media likes to skew and distort the views of what it actually “means” to be healthy. Or more specifically their advertisers and sponsors do and they oblige. The vast majority of people who think they drink enough water don’t. And I include athletes in that statement. There are big name athletes that think “Because I don’t drink soda and I have a few bottles of water a day I am drinking the right amount of water” These are professional athletes I am talking about. When the reality is that the amount of water you drink is supposed to be based off of a combination of your body weight and how much physical activity you are doing that day.

There are factors at play that determine what the “recommended” body weight of an individual is and then there are factors that heavily skew what is actually possible or is easier for specific individuals. For example B.M.I. The body mass index. That is what tells you what is considered a healthy “range” for your height. Most really really skinny people think they are at the perfect weight when in actuality they are 20 or 30 lbs underweight. Women who are exactly the weight that is considered medically healthy THINK they are fat because the magazines tell them they are. Then you have the different categories of “fat” bulky, big-boned, slightly overweight, moderately overweight, heavy, obese. They terms and perceptions mean different things to different people based off of what they have been exposed to in the media and the people around.

There are a lot of people who have genetic disposition’s towards being heavier or glandular conditions. It isn’t true that they “can’t” get the weight off but its a million times harder for them to lose 5 lbs then it does for average Joe or Jill to lose 20 lbs. Which really isn’t fair to them at all but it is what it is.

Athletes have muscle. Someone who is only fat can’t be an athlete because muscles determine your strength and endurance. Sumo Wrestlers are not fat. They are a wall of muscle. Your body burns off most fat and turns the rest into muscle. a Heavyweight Boxer isn’t fat they are eating 3x (at the minimum) more than the average person and working out off and on throughout the entire day all day.

It’s fine to be body positive but don’t go telling people they can magically be athletes if they are fat and giving false hope cause that is messed up. The truth of one side of the media telling you to be super skinny and the other side telling you its ok to be fat is in the middle. The majority of people who are really skinny actually need to bulk up and there are some people that telling them they don’t need to lose weight when they need to for medical reasons doesn’t help them it hurts. Too skinny and your body doesn’t have enough nutrients to sustain itself. Too big and they get overworked or clog. I speak from personal experience too. I have been dangerously skinny almost my entire life. I have never been anorexic or bulimic my metabolism is just highly abnormal. About two years ago my body decided it had enough and started to kind of shut down on me. I have been sick for over a year and a half (even with all those family members in health and physical wellness telling me everything I need to be healthier and workout I was never consistent enough and frankly was stubborn and dumb about it. Now I have spent the last 6 months trying to repair my atrophied muscles with physical therapy due to lack on activity.

We need to stop coddling people who are excessively overweight and we need to stop glamorizing people who are excessively skinny. That’s the truth. It’s ok to be a little overweight or a little skinny. It’s not ok to be excessively one or the other in either direction. They are equally dangerous. Weight is not an “image” thing. It is one of the single most important factors in determining your physical well being.

• JMark (formerly JM) says:

Thank you for sharing important information that we all need to consider. I wish you all the best in your recovery.

6. jj says:

the natural first reaction is “wow as if they have a fat losing clause in her contract” but really it’s not different than actors who have clauses in contract that they have to be physically fit (i.e. look good shirtless) etc. And there are many actors who have clauses in their contract stating they can’t change their hairstyle without permission etc. Physical appearance clauses have always been part of show business. So I guess her losing weight clause is not different. And all the better if she is seeing it as motivation to embrace a healthier lifestyle.

7. Nerwen Aldarion says:

While on principal, the idea of studio execs telling an actress to lose weight is completely abhorrent, I honestly feel like this is a different situation.

For one, she isn’t being fat shamed. She’s being asked to accurately portray a character’s journey, so it’s actually a part of the story the show has lined out. The show isn’t fat shaming the character of Kate, instead they are showing the real hardships people face everyday in this situation

Second, she was made aware of this obligation in her contract and agreed to it, claiming it was for herself as well. If as she says, she really does want to lose weight and be healthier, having this kind of incentive makes it more likely she will succeed.

My only hope is that the people behind this show are giving her full support, maybe even a nutritionist and a trainer so she loses weight in a normal healthy way. If that is the true goal of all parties involved, then fantastic. This might be a situation where Hollywood has done something that is beyond superficial looks but instead tells a story to help people who want to live healthier while also improving the life of a talented actress.

8. Mollymoo says:

Nothing to tweet about. She wasn’t brought on and later given an ultimatum to conform or get lost. She signed on knowing the role and knowing the journey of her character (and therefore herself ) from the get go. She agreed to it – and she’s happy to do it. More power to her.

9. Jan Wiemelt says:

When I and my husband each weighed 250+ we couldn’t have sex. Can you keep this real?

10. TV Gord says:

I’m happy that her storyline is leaning toward losing weight. It’s a struggle gazillions of us have gone through to one extent or another, and it will be nice to see it portrayed.

I have to say I have been worried about her, as I have been about people I have known in my real life who are that big. I hope her journey is an inspiration to others who want to follow.

11. Cas says:

Lol everyone is all pretending like they care about her health. Ps healthy people die everyday too. She should lose weight because she wants to. Sometimes ego is a part of it. Ego can motivate you. You do you.

12. kmw says:

It would be nice if she had a story besides her weight. There is more to people than how much they weigh and how much they are going to lose. Kate’s story is the only thing that bothers me about the show

• Dave says:

Right!? Why does every scene she’s in revolve around a weight issue? Not one single overweight person I know is defined only by their size.

• Jenna says:

Same! Like I am overweight myself (not to her level, but not thin), and while my weight is a thing I care about, it isn’t ALL I care about. It’s like she has no other storyline besides “I’m a big fat fatty”, which is unfortunate BC I actually think she comes across as a really like able actress, but her character is so one note it’s off putting. Hopefully they’ll expand her storylines besides her weight and her completely unhealthy relationship with Toby.

• Jennifer says:

Well, it was implied that they’re going to expand her storyline so… But I think it’s nice that they focus on her journey with its struggles to lose weight, because it’s rarely seen on a TV series

• Lost 40 lbs. by running says:

Exactly what I was going to say. Let’s say This Is Us remains a huge hit for NBC and runs for seven years. Is Kate’s storyline going to be revolve around weight and eating for seven years? It’s already the most boring part of the show.

• Yes and no. Kate’s weight DOMINATES her existence. She’s awesome at her job but her character realistically doesn’t go for more than a couple of hours without thinking about her weight.

I DO want to hear more of Kate’s story but I also feel it’s realistic portrayal of how someone with that much weight feels/thinks. It’s CRUSHING her soul. And I hope that as she starts to lose weight, she starts to see the rest of the world without everything filtered through her physical/mental situation.

13. Joey says:

I’m not watching the show (yet), but I’m concerned for her in this regard: Now, I’m not sure at this point in the show if the actress is actively trying to lose weight, but I read a part of the article that concerned me: “experience setbacks (those gas-station donuts).” If she’s actively trying to lose weight, putting food like that in front of her, whether its real or prop food, could negatively impact her weight loss, especially her mental state. I hope she’s taking care of herself mentally as well as physically.

14. absherlock says:

First, I don’t see this as significantly different from requiring actors like Chris Hemsworth or Scarlett Johansson to bulk up or stay in shape.

My bigger issue is that, at this point, her character is too weight focused. Randall has his issues with his father, Kevin has his issues with how his fans and co-stars perceive him and they have issues with each other. But Kate is almost exclusively about weight (even her relationship with Toby). I hope they find a way to have her relate to other people in a way that’s not dependent on her size.

15. Good Luck Chrissy! says:

Actors do all kind of crazy things to their bodies for roles. Take, for instance Hugh Jackman on Xmen or Christian Bale on Machinist. Both had to make major changes and took their bodies to unhealthy extremes for the role (Hugh would actually dehydrate himself for shirtless scenes, to tighten up his skin a little more).

The show is asking Chrissy to lose weight (probably a lot eventually) which will make her healthier and positively effect her life (not to mention touch the lives of us other overweight women who will be watching her). The article made it clear that Chrissy herself is happy with this requirement. The idea of the actress going through a similar struggle as the character will just make the whole thing mean more.

And personally speaking, if people want to lose weight because they want to be more attractive(rather than healthier), there is nothing wrong with that either(plus, healthiness IS attractive). They just want to be happy.

I’m excited to see both Chrissy and Kate meet their goals.

16. B says:

Actors and Actresses lose and gain weight all the time for movie roles. It’s not a big deal. It’s for the story.

17. No doubt curvy is sex, but what kind of crazy world do we live in that losing weight could be considered selling out?

18. Spencer says:

She is a Beautiful Queen in my eyes actors should not be criticized and judge because of their body appearance and physical appearance and everyone deserves a chance…….. if you are single I’m interested💑💒😍😘

19. Sissy says:

Her character’s battle with food and weight are depicted in a very realistic way. In the flashbacks of Kate as a child being heavy and having a mother who is desperately trying to figure out how to help her daughter eat right and lose weight, there are many of us who completely understand her frustrations.
    One of last week’s flashback scenes showed her caught between the animosity between her brothers. Kate’s emotions as an adult reflect that child who probably had to sneak-eat snacks to feed and calm herself when surrounded by bickering and dealing with the frustrations of not being the “perfect” daughter of a beautiful mother.
    I like when they show the professional Kate as an expert assistant doing her job and standing up for herself. She is trying to learn how to navigate her life without using the food crutch. It is a very difficult journey with roadblocks (Toby) and landmines (little donuts). I’m rooting for her every step of the way.

• Marie Hiney says:

I agree wholeheartedly. I am a Kate fan. I could be her. Health issues are catching up with me in the last 16 years. Type2 is the biggest thing. Hope she succeds.

20. Lorrenda says:

The show is wonderful. I love the variety of characters. Chrissy’s role is a refreshing change from cookie cutter actresses. Beauty is found in every form. Whether she does or does not lose weight it won’t change my admiration for her. I really hope this show lasts.

21. Rose says:

I love this show , I started watching it due to Justin and Mandy on it but now I’m addicted, love the cast !!!

22. Karin says:

I have not seen this show. Is this a remake of Mike & Molly ? Sounds like it.

23. Jack Pham says:

Thank for the post, very helpful.
    Also I want to share something here:
    Let’s discover how to lose 12 to 23 pounds in just 21 days + free report download :
    3weekdietfreereport.gr8.com

24. JM says:

She’s likely to end up like many celebrities who eventually lost weight because their health declined—Dawn French, Alison Moyet, Kathy Najimy, Randy Jackson to name a few.

25. michest says:

In the second episode, when Kate spoke to Toby about how your weight is always on your mind when you are fat really summed it up so well. From the start, I wondered if they were going to explore gastric bypass (or sleeve or lapband) as an option, and I am glad they are going there.

I spent most of my adult life in the morbidly obese catagory. I exercised regularly, but ate too much for a variety of reasons. I’m successful professionally, have a wide circle of friends, raised my daughter as a single parent, etc. After much soul searching and even more research, I had gastric bypass surgery close to five years ago. I have lost 100 pounds and maintained that loss.

Yes, having this surgery does make weight loss easier, but keeping it off is no different than any other diet.

My blood pressure, cholesterol and blood sugar are all now in the normal range. Hot weather no longer turns me into a wet sponge. At the gym I can now go way longer and faster on the treadmill, or in any of the classes they offer. As I always worked out with weights, too, it helped with keeping the dreaded loose skin at bay to some extent.

And, now this is no small thing, my internal shaming of myself on a daily basis over my “lack of control” is silenced. As the character of Kate spoke so well about, it was always in my head.

I wish her the greatest of achievement, no matter what path she takes to lose the weight.

26. isogrrrl says:

I love this show and I love Kate but as someone who once weighed 260 at 5’9″ and lost 70 lbs – I did it for health reasons
    I read she is 5’4 and almost 400 lbs – I know how unhealthy I was feeling at my weight. She is endangering her life at that weight. She is young enough now but that much extra weight is a death sentence down the road.
    What kind of weight loss? A 100 lbs or more? I am still a “big girl” but I wear a size 14 not a size 22 anymore. I love being curvy and will and don’t want to be a size 2 but eventually it’s about your health and well being not how cute you are
    We are afraid to say fat anymore and I don’t think anyone should be judged on weight but at a certain weight it’s simply dangerous. You can’t weigh 400 lbs and be healthy not long term anyway
    I hope she loses some weight because she wants to and because she will feel better – I doubt seriously you will see her at a size 0 but it would be nice for her to be move freely and openly in her own space

27. Thomas says:

There’s “curvy” and then their morbidly-obese-10 years left to live at age 36. She is in that category. She will save her life if she does this.