Post Mortems
HTGAWM Wes Dies

HTGAWM Boss Offers Ray of Hope in #UnderTheSheet Reveal, Teases 'Shocking' Twist in 2017 Premiere

There’s dead, and then there’s “TV dead” — when you don’t actually see the victim’s body or the whole thing was an elaborately staged fakeout or, y’know, “secret twin.”

But make no mistake, the character revealed to be “under the sheet” in Thursday’s How to Get Away With Murder fall finale has most definitely taken his last breath.

Wes Gibbins (Alfred Enoch), had been presumed alive after “Fire Night” flash-forwards found him in a Philly PD interrogation room agreeing to testify against Annalise. But at the end of the hour, we saw him sneak out of the building after getting a voicemail from his mentor, only to wind up back at police HQ — this time on the medical examiner’s table, half his face burned beyond recognition. As Nate would later discover, however, Wes was already dead before an explosion went off at Chez Keating — the same blast that injured Laurel and left the musclebound investigator unscathed.

Before creator Pete Nowalk breaks down the decision to kill off a member of the Keating Five, let’s recount a few other highlights from Season 3, Episode 9, “Who’s Dead?”:

* Bonnie stopped Frank from committing suicide by reiterating their deep connection — and hinting at their other “deep connection” (wink wink) back in the hotel in Coalport. Later, though, when it was clear Annalise was being investigated by the DA (more on that in a second), she asked him to take the fall. “You love me — but you want me to jump on the grenade for all of us?” asked Frank. Um, yes she did. Because when she’s backed into a corner, Lurky McChurchmouse will forever and for always play for Team Annalise.

* On “Fire Night,” we saw Nate enter Annalise’s home office, in search of his ex, followed shortly thereafter by Laurel, responding to her boss’ request to convene for a meeting. And then — BOOM! — the house exploded, and all of the horrors that we’ve seen in flash-foward over the last eight episodes fell into place.

HTGAWM Atwood* In other news… Wes learned Atwood and those barely-there detectives were looking into the death of Rebecca, whose body turned up in the woods. Connor revealed to Oliver that he showed up frenzied at his door early in their relationship not because he was high, but because he was “traumatized.” Oliver then used his tech wizardry to perform a basic Google search and began to link Sam Keating’s death to Oliver’s meltdown. Oh, and yep, you didn’t imagine Michaela and Laurel smooching in celebration of their high grades on Annalise’s exam.

Now, onto our Q&A with Evil Mastermind Mr. Nowalk:

TVLINE | Can you say unequivocally that Wes is dead, that this isn’t some kind of trickery or subterfuge? He’s dead-dead?

TVLINE | A one-word answer — hard to misinterpret. Did you know going into Season 3 that Wes would die? And if not, when did you come to the decision?
No, I did not know at the beginning of the season. I knew someone would be under the sheet — that was a decision we made the first day in the writers’ room. “Oh, that’s a fun little mystery!” As it went on, I got pains in my stomach as I realized what we’d promised the audience.

Obviously, part of me was hoping, “Maybe it can be some new character who I haven’t fallen in love with yet.” I kept waiting to come up with an idea that worked. Then it became clear the only way it could work would be if it had impact emotionally. We considered every option, ever character, and the poor actors realized that discussion was happening while they still had to do their jobs every day. It wasn’t easy. Episode 7 was when I thought, “Ugh, I really have to decide this.” And that’s when I did. Ultimately, it was about a gut feeling, and [killing off Wes] gave me the biggest pain in my gut.

TVLINE | Last week, there was a part of me thinking, “It had better not be Charles Mahoney or some minor character.” It would’ve felt like a copout — especially in relation to Annalise’s total breakdown after seeing the body. Was that always in your mind?
Yeah, thinking about the audience, I would’ve thrown my remote at the TV if I waited this long and it was Simon — which a lot of people guessed. The other thing that’s helped me get through the process is that Alfie [Enoch] is going to be with us for the rest of the season. Nothing beyond that is figured out, but I still get to write for him and he still gets to be at work. And for the audience, we don’t have to lose him completely, that’s made the bittersweet feeling a little bit better.

TVLINE | Presumably the second half of the season will delve into what happened in Annalise’s house — the explosion, the fire, Wes’ death, Laurel’s experience in the basement.
It’s a few hours of time, and we will be seeing those hours throughout the remaining episodes. In the first episode back, we’ll see what happened to Wes after he left the police station. We won’t get all the answers, but slowly, we’ll be pulling back the curtain. We’d been doing flash-forwards, and now we’ll be doing flashbacks. And by the end of the season, if not earlier, we’ll find out what actually happened to him and who killed him.

TVLINE | We know Annalise is in jail for murder and arson — and on the word of an informant. If Wes is dead — we thought he was talking to detectives in the same timeline, but now we know it was a few hours prior — does that mean someone else is the informant? Or were the detectives somehow thinking Wes was alive and about to turn on Annalise? I’m not sure I’ve got that entirely nailed down.
You are very savvy, mister! [Laughs] As you said, they said they had an anonymous source, but Wes never signed the agreement — so does that mean there’s someone else? That’s a big question in our first episode back, and we’ll get an answer to that that is really shocking.

VIOLA DAVISTVLINE | Hearing Annalise ask Bonnie in the jail cell, “Was it you?” That was so haunting.
If you’re Annalise, you’re not trusting anyone in your life at this point, which is a sad state of affairs for her. But we don’t know where a lot of those people were when the house burned down, so everything is up in the air.

TVLINE | The Mahoneys and Atwood, our single black female DA — are they in the mix in the latter part of Season 3? And are they viable suspects in Wes’ murder?
Yes and yes. Obviously, there’s a big investigation going on into Annalise. And it’s no coincidence that Wes just happened to testify against the Mahoneys the episode before he died. They both played a pivotal role.

TVLINE | Was it fun to bring back Rebecca’s body at the exact moment a lot of us had stopped thinking about it?
A writer pitched it to me and I was like, “Ooh, you surprised me!” I always want to be a show that uses the whole Buffalo, though. That makes it fun for the people who’ve been watching since the beginning.

What did you think of the HTGAWM fall finale? Were you shocked by Wes’ death? And who do you think killed the puppy? Grade the episode in our poll, then sound off in the comments!

1. NP20 says:

So happy it was Wed! Now hopefully they put Laurel and Frank back together

2. Rachel says:

Holy sheet. Didn’t see that coming.

3. Kate says:

I’m so glad it’s Wes! He’s always been a snooze. There’s still a lot more fun to be had with Frank. He’s so different than anyone else it would have been a shame to lose him.

4. Ger says:

Add me to the list of people happy it was Wes. I was mad a few weeks ago when they showed him “alive”. I can’t stand him and Laurel. Thrilled I still got Michaela, Oliver, Connor, and Asher.

5. laurelnev says:

I posted these same questions on the other article:
    I have said all along that with Ana’s reaction, it HAD to be Wes or Eve! Wes makes the most sense. But did Nate set the fire? Or had he left before the explosion. And is this Frank “fixing things?” By killing another of Ana’s “sons”? And is Nate really playing bothsides? Does HE even know whose side he’s on anymore?

Obviously, Ana was clueless about the fire, so who exactly was covering what there? So did the Mahoney’s off Wes b/c of his testimony. relation to the family, etc.?

DID wes squeal? Did anyone? Or is it a bluff based on what they think they have? If it’s all coming back to Rebecca, will they catch Bonnie, or will the gang scapegoat THAT on their dead cohort?

Great episode! Can’t wait for the back 1/2 of the season!

• Cheyenne says:

I think Bonnie thought Wes was going to squeal, and she was the one who killed a Rebecca after all, so she calls Frank and tells him to fix it. What I want to know is, did Frank know Laurel was in the house?

• laurelnev says:

Did anyone know Ana had called a meeting, and how did they all get to the hospital instead…especially Connor, who had lost his phone?

I cpuld see Bonnie/Frank conspiring to off the new Golden Child who was taking their place…Bonnie especially, and Frank, to try to redeem himself. But you know, it could have been something as simple as Ana forgetting to turn off the gas in her fireplace (if it was a gas light one.) and Nate inadvertently causing the explosion when he sparks something checking to ensure she did a sufficient job…or even throwing the statue and causing a spark…if gas had been on all night. But then again, the door was also open, so anyone could have gotten inside…

• zee zee says:

I don’t think Annalise or Bonnie knew when Annalise was arrested that the police had found Rebecca’s body. The police told her she was charged with arson and murder so they would assume the murder charge was for Wes. (They didn’t say how many murders!) It makes sense for the police to assume that Annalise found out that Wes was about to squeel on her and that she killed him to keep him from talking.

• herman1959 says:

Some answers please!

• gort says:

“I have said all along that with Ana’s reaction, it HAD to be Wes or Eve! ”

Even the writers didn’t know who it is. So the reaction doesn’t matter.

• Ben says:

If it wasn’t Wes, I thought she might have been faking her reaction. It could have gone any way.

• laurelnev says:

Well, actually, the writers said on another site that Viola’s acting very much directed their writing to make it someone as important as Wes. So there is that.

6. Cheyenne says:

It should have been Nate.

7. herman1959 says:

OMG,I did not see this coming at all. I can’t believe they killed Wes – one of the Keating 5! This show just turned a corner for me. If I hadn’t read this, I would have assumed he killed himself, but now I’d guess it was Mahoney’s (other) son. Wow.

8. Malachi says:

So who killed him? Cause if he was dead before he went into the house that means someone planted his dead body in there. So then that would mean Annalise set the whole thing up as either Nate or Frank or Laurel set the fire. Also, everything happened at night yet he walks out the police station in the day time?

• Cheyenne says:

Did they say he was dead before he went into the house or dead before his body was burned? Because I think somebody killed him in the house.

• Antwon303 says:

They never said he was dead before he went into the house. The medical examiner said he was dead before the fire. I would put money on him being killed in the house.

• Cheyenne says:

Me too. Which makes it less likely that it was the Mahoneys. I think his death was connected with Rebecca’s remains turning up.

• Sheryl79 says:

Actually Cheyenne they made a point to show when Annalise left the house the door didn’t shut and Nate found the door that way. Someone from the Mahoneys could have easily have walked in the house and laid in wait for Annalise or Wes to walk in.

• zee zee says:

I don’t know why it mattered that the door was open other than it made it possible for Nate and Lauren to let themselves in. If it had been locked Nate probably would have left when no one answered the door and Lauren probably would have waited outside for Annalise to come. I am sure that Frank or anyone else could have found a way to break in.

• Angie says:

Now that sounds a whole lot better then all the other crazy stuff

• Zee Zee says:

I’m sure the Mahoney’s or anyone else could have found another way to break into the house very easily. I think leaving the door open made it easier to explain why Nate and Laurel went inside the house. If it was locked and no one answered, Nate would have left or called Annalise and Laurel probably would have waited outside. Focusing on Annalise leaving the door open was a dead give away that something was going to happen. They could have easily had her close the door but forget to lock it, in which case Nate or Laurel might have tried opening the door after knocking.

• Cornelius Paauw says:

Based on the rewind near the end of the episode he walked out of the station around 4:30pm and the house exploded at around 9:20pm so there is atleast 5 hours of flashback’s to go through in 3B.

9. Katy says:

Really…really! Do they not want a fourth season? Killing off Annalise’s replacement son/foil/is absurd and a huge misstep. Yes, I was wowed; Yes, I was in tears; Yes, I thought it was going to be Nate, which I was pissed about but there was so much more to mine in Wait List’s story…There’s still so much about Wes that has yet to be revealed for which a half season wrap-up would be insufficient.

Side note: 80 percent chance Meggy’s the killer…

• John says:

Since episode one, Wes was always the audience surrogate into the crazy world of Annalise and Co. I’m really surprised they killed the character off.

• Paul Penna says:

Yeah, my reaction too was, how do you continue the show without Wes?

His relationship with Annalise is the center of the show,

And then it occurred to me, maybe you don’t.

Maybe this is the beginning of the end.

Wes is obviously going to be appearing in the rest of Season Three, and we, the audience, and maybe the characters too, will probably find out who the killer is in the Season Three finale.

And then, Season Four becomes all about dealing with that revelation. So, Wes still very much will have a presence in Season Four.

Now, stop and think. How long to television series usually last? Another series I loved that was full of melodrama was ‘Revenge’ and that was four seasons long.

So, maybe the people in charge have an ending in mind, and this is simply the next logical step in taking us there.

I mean, if Laurel has the baby, she’ll probably give birth around the end of Season Four too.

These are all natural endings.

So, maybe the show really doesn’t continue without Wes.

10. Blaqbuttrfly says:

I for one am pissed–don’t know if I will continue to watch this show with as much enthusiasm. Wes was the most interesting out of the 5. This ending definitely didn’t do it for me….

• Lisa Maria says:

I agree. He was one of my favs.

• Ida says:

Same here! Wont watch again

• Francina Kirwan says:

Although he is “dead” I’m pretty sure he will still be in all of season 3 and maybe even season 4 where we may get a little back story. So you never know.

• Euvee says:

Me too. I kept praying it was Nate or even Frank. Something kept telling me it was either Connor or Wes. *sigh* I think I’m done with the show. It hurts too much💔💔💔

• teri key says:

Pleeeeease he was boring…. I did not like him with Laurel either..boring

• Ldoro88 says:

I so agree. I think he was the most boring thing on the show and I hate him and Laurel together. Frank is sooooo much more interesting and flawed. And I like him and Laurel together much more. And, have we mentioned how FINE he is now that he cut off that scraggly beard and shaved his hair? So glad it wasn’t Nate or Frank. And what about Laurel’s baby? Is the pregnancy going to continue? Is she actually going to have this baby? And how will that play into the story line? Finally, I don’t like Bonnie and Frank together. This is the most sniveling I’ve ever seen Frank. Hope all that emoting is over. And Bonnie is so pathetic. I get that it comes from being abused by her father, but I would love to see Frank with someone with a little more hutzpah. Like Laurel.

• Vanessa says:

Agreed. Really bad choice that I think they’all quickly regret.

• Sarah Watson says:

Feel the same, no one else is interesting.

11. Kate says:

I’m so upset the puppy is dead. It was such a swerve. Well done and heartbreaking. I don’t know if I can forgive it, though. Oh my gosh, that hurt more than I thought it would. As an aside, how in the world could the writers get through 7 episodes without a solid plan?

12. gail says:

why did you kill Wes. Why not kill Nate?

13. Frankie says:

What if Wes death was staged too? Or was an autopsty already made to certify Wes was really dead? Remmeber that Meggie works at a hospital she could have given Wes somethign earlier to fake death if Wes had told Meggie about his plans. There are some pills that stop the heart or something for some minutes. But the dead body did it have a gunshot wound or it only showed a man was dead? Just wondering

• SusieT79 says:

Did you watch the episode? Not being a smart @ss, actually asking. They showed Wes and he was pretty burned up. If someone can survive that amount of burns it would be a miracle. Especially after laying in a body bag & on a slab table for I’m sure hours. He’s gone. We will only be seeing flashbacks of him at this point!

14. Wow that is how you do a cliffhanger! That was awesome, and heartbreaking all at once. My only question is, where is this kind of writing on Grey’s, Shonda??

• Edward says:

Shonda has virtually no involvement in HTGAWM. She’s the executive producer but she doesn’t intercede in the writing or planning of the show. Everything is entirely Nowalk. That’s why there’s a quality disparity between the two shows. Shonda is at her best when her shows her freshly out. After too many seasons her weaknesses as a showrunner start to become clear.

15. Connie says:

I guess showing Wes was alive the last week mislead everyone believing he was safe and the dead ones could b e Nate or Frank or Connor, but noone expected the writers had an Ace under their sleeves and changed at the last minute who was under the sheet, which in this case was a change in the story timeline , that it was not in order as it was presented each week, so tthis way confuse viewers, which that makes a good story telling, let people believe one thing the entire season but they chnage the thing just at the end without lifting any kind of suspicion from viewers.

No wonder Annalise cried the way she cried when she saw who was the dead person under the sheet in the first episode of the season, Wes was her protegee since she defended his mother years ago, she felt an obligation to her into taking care of her son therefore that is what Annalise did the whole time, stand by Wes and stick by him, what Annalise did not expect, was that Wes did not feel the same and squeal and he was the snitch who sold her to the pólice.

I wonder now who is the father of Laurel baby, Frank or Wes? I felt Frank in all h is craziness that he is, he has a very little softer side and it seems he still cares for her. He asked Bonnie how was Laurel doing.

So Connor will replace Wes so the Keating 4 will become again the Keating 5?

Did anyone know if the actor who played Wes on social media, he said or hinting anything or something he was leaving the show? I mean in order to know that if he was leaving the show, he needed to be killed off and be written off the show.

16. Jeff C says:

I am beyond THRILLED with who they picked. They all blame Annalise for their problems, but the majority of them were caused by annoying Wes.
    Christmas came early tonight :D

• Connie says:

Why you say all people problems were caused by Wes?

• Ericka says:

Actually they caused their own problems. Makayla broke in and is the one that pushed Sam over the railing. Actually none of them should have been in that house so they all had an equal share.

• zee zee says:

I thought it was Rebecca who broke in. If you want to blame anyone for the chain of events blame Sam. He’s the one who had his pregnant girlfriend killed! It’s because she died that Rebecca needed a lawyer. Sam should have known that what goes around comes around. (Poor Annalise now she has list two sons!)

17. Val says:

Heartbreaking it was Wes

Should of been Frank or Nate!

18. Laura says:

I’m surprised. Mostly because I thought the series finale end game would be Wes “getting away with murder” after killing Annalise.
    I figured he’d be plotting all these seasons to kill her because all along he knew who she was (in relation to his mother and father.)
    Also, there was no development with the bio family. Nor any closure on the weird Annalise/Wes connection. Fail.
    And, whatever … It still might be subterfuge.

19. Paula says:

Happy it was Wes but would have been even happier had the victim been Nate. Both terribly annoying characters! We still have a Keating 5 since Oliver has joined the inner circle. Now let’s truly reunite Oliver and Connor in 3b!

20. Tai says:

I am just….beyond. This is how shows loose their way. Too many surprises in the early seasons. They paint themselves in a corner by 1) having nowhere to go from here; and 2)
    You will never be able to live up to this level of shock without becoming outrageous. And in most cases…ridiculous!

So I feel like not only am I mourning the death of a beloved character but the early death of a beloved show.
    #Too early for a Keating 5 death. #That should have come in season 5.
    #it should have been Eve

21. Angela says:

So sad to see Wes be the one under the sheet! I’d been hoping it wouldn’t be him all season! At the same time, I appreciate that this show didn’t go the copout route and actually went with a legit shocking death. And the realization that we’ll still see Wes pop up here and there throughout the rest of the season, albeit in “flashback/pre-fire sequences” moments, is comforting. I can totally see the Mahoney family being in on his death somehow. I think the fire was someone else’s doing, though-probably Frank’s.
    I’m going to be very curious to see how his death will impact Annalise, Laurel, and Meggie in particular. Annalise has been struggling to improve her life enough as it is, this is surely just going to send her back down into her spiral. I’d like to see Laurel and Meggie bond over their shared loss-the moment with them holding each other and crying in the hospital was touching. And I think Laurel’s near death experience combined with the loss of Wes pretty much guarantees we’ll never see that baby of hers being born. Too much trauma for her body to take.
    Re: the mention of Laurel and Michaela kissing at that party-between that and Bonnie and Annalise’s little moment when Bonnie was putting Annalise to bed, all I’ll say is, I approve.
    Loved the callbacks to Sam and Rebecca. Oliver finding out about Sam has me intrigued…and nervous. There’s so much that could, and probably will, go wrong with him learning about that part of Connor’s, and by extension, the rest of the gang’s, past.
    Everything with Michaela and her mom was great, and I’m all for more of that storyline as the season goes on.
    So yeah. One hell of a winter finale, to be sure. VERY interested to see where the hell the gang goes from here.

• Agree with most of what you said.

Most of the comments about Wes here seem to be either “i can’t watch without him” or “i’m glad he’s gone.” One extreme or the other. Not me. Well, I am sad, and yes, he was a main character, he was “the audience” character, the one who was new and fresh-eyed and we saw thru his eyes initially, and he’d grown a lot this season or so it felt, (with some small inconsistencies).

But I felt this was very strong writing. I thought it was Nate and then boom ! He walks in, wow. And that shot of Wes with half of his skin burned. the two parts meeting in the middle- but we could still see pretty sweet puppy Wes on one side- wow, That got me.

I’m excited to see what happens without him, and I’m relieved Frank is back. I’m kind of assuming the baby is Wes’s, but that Laurel and Frank will be together again. I have faith in the writers to make it work without Wes.The person that makes the show is Viola Davis.

I feel like the decision made sense in retrospect; I had some issues with Wes/Laurel staying together- now it makes more sense.

22. Lisa says:

I know the EP said he was dead, however, two things occured to me….
    1) They never showed the audience who was under the sheet in the ambulance.
    2) What did Nate find at Annalise’s house? Perhaps Wes and there is a plan to make it look like he’s dead? Just a thought.

• Josh says:

Yes they did, when Nate sees Wes body in the hospital it flashes back to Annalise seeing a more ‘fresher’ dead body of Wes in the ambulance

23. Guy says:

It was kind of predictable. When Wes walks out of the police station, they did the death scene, looking back over the shoulders, smile, bright day, typical death feeling in a movie or show. It will be interesting in how the writers twist it.

24. Lorna says:

It was awesome, but it also sucked! We love Wes!!!

25. S says:

I was not sure if I should click this link or not because of the spoiler but if Wes is really dead then I will start watching HTGAWM again.

26. Ben says:

I loved this episode! Kept me on my toes every second. I thought for sure that Oliver was going to find out about Sam! I think Nate lit the fire to protect Annalise to make it look like Wes died in a fire. Who knows though!

27. If the Mahoneys killed Christophe, it would be like a family curse. They drove his mother to suicide and came back to finish the job by talking her son out.

28. I love how the writers always have tricks up their sleeves and this was one awesome trick…I’m a little bit sad to see Wes go, but I’m so glad they didn’t take the easy way out in killing a minor character…I thought it was going to be Nate, which I felt wouldn’t impact the audience as much as one of the “Keating 5”

29. JP says:

Without Wes, I am no longer interested in the histrionics, subterfuge, dirty deeds, and killings as if life has very little meaning, over the top, ridiculousness. The other characters hold very little appeal and there are practically no redeeming qualities in Annalise despite the brilliant Viola Davis. Wes was the heart of the show. Without him, it’s just lame. Stupid decision.

• gah says:

Personally, I am with you! They have ruined the show for me. Wes is the character my emotions are completely invested. I wanted to see him excel and loved the way Annalise had a protective love for him. I believe he was the surrogate son in her mind. Annalise really loves Wes and probably is the only person she really loves. I don’t think she knows how to properly show love to anyone considering her own childhood. She is very cold hearted, but there were times I saw a much softer side of her with Wes. I am so heartbroken and upset. There was so much more available storyline with their relationship!

30. abz says:

I’m not mad about Wes being gone. I hope they can now focus more on other members of the Keating 5 (or should I say 4 now). We barely know much about Connor’s background and his life before the show. And I’d love to see more of Mickaela’s life. And I like how they’ve done some more serious moments with Asher and Michaels. I was getting a little bored of his over-the-top douchiness.

31. Wanheda says:

Well at least I have one less show to watch now or at least have it on the very bottom of my watch list. I actually liked him and Laurel. Not much of a fan of the others. For me personally they ruined the show with this.

32. Daniel snow says:

Is it wrong to be happy to know it was Wes? He started the whole mess and never really apologized for it. I never liked his character, wanted to but it wasn’t meant to be.
    If the actor is still on the show good for him he still collects a check. But a dead character gets less screen time and I’m okay with that

33. Wilma Flintstone says:

The giant twist is that Laurel is pregnant with his baby. Yawn! I stopped watching when Bonnie started making out with Annalise. So gross.

34. Gerald says:

I too am glad it is Wes, but sucks that we are going to have to deal with the fallout of this with Analise hitting even more below rock bottom. She already felt bad for ruining his life, now because of her (indirectly) he’s dead. It would have all been better if she never let him in her class.

35. My favorite part of this whole article, “Oliver then used his tech wizardry to perform a basic Google search…”.

36. halelolo says:

My favorite part of this whole article was, “Oliver then used his tech wizardry to perform a basic Google search…”.

37. Alana says:

I was shocked to see it was Wes. Very sad about it =( He was an interesting character with many angles to explore. Don’t understand why it had to be him. Will watch the show and hope it won’t lose its charm for me

38. Brian says:

The show’s creator said that Wes is dead-dead. However, Wes’s real name is Christophe. So, they could have faked the death in some way to kill “Wes” and then in season 4 he will be going by his real name of Christohe.

• Nika says:

Do you think that wil happen and that Wes dead was a set up? I mean he was pretty much burned I doubt he could had survived, unless he had some twin but that will be far fetch.

• Bill says:

He also said he wanted the death to be a main character to not heaped the impact. How do you think fans would react after watching all these weeks to find out who’s under the sheet that it was all a ruse? He’s gone

39. It truly shocked me, my jaw literally dropped open. I thought it was Nate especially when he came to the house. I’m so glad they didn’t take the easy way out and make it someone we didn’t care about but I’m gonna miss Wes. I cannot wait to learn more about Michala’s past

40. I had a meltdown! Wes was my favorite! Loved him and Laurel!
    Don’t know what I’ll do after this season. Don’t know if I can watch it after that.

41. poodleshark says:

Didn’t see that coming, although gauging by Ana’s reaction, I thought it would be Nate, but never Wes.
    So now Ana is being charged for Rebecca’s murder which Bonnie committed and the other mysterious informant. The return will be quite interesting…

42. Me says:

I keep reading this article and still can’t see where the ray of hope is…The showrunner confirms Wes is dead dead…And OMG, what a cruel cruel fate is his…And how must Annaiise feel? he caused his mother’s death, then took him in her class to give him a chance for a better life and ended up causing his death too…Worse than a Greek tragedy if you ask me…

43. I think that a) it’s really hard for anyone to fire anyone, certainly an actor when roles are tough to come by. b) Pete had to know it was Wes from the beginning off of Annalise’s reaction; you wouldn’t have that unless you knew you were going to pay it off. C) The actor playing Wes was a wink link on the show IMHO; his death creates story. D) Plus, you really shouldn’t get away with murder and Wes did kill Sam.

44. Michelle Embrey-Hembree says:

That was stunning. So sad that it was Wes.

45. Cas says:

I’m glad it wasn’t Frank but was hoping Nate (who I really like but would be least sad). But I really hope Frank isn’t the one who killed him. Bonnie and him seem suspicious. And I still like Frank and Laurel best together but I understand I am in the minority there.

46. cherriyasz says:

For once i would have been happy with a cop-out if it meant Wes didnt have to die. He was the heart of the show other than Analise. Now i really dont know if i can muster continuing it without him in the present. Him still being there but in the past isnt a consolation either cause its gonna remind me of how dead he still is. So unless his death is a fakeout which i know is wishful thinking, i am gonna be taking a really extended break from the show – usually my breaks are unending.

47. jerry says:

I am so sad to see Wes go. He was my fave. What made him so great was his heart. He was a good person. I hated him with Laurel. She only used him. She still loves Frank. She was the worst thing that ever happened to him.

48. “the same blast that injured Laurel and left the musclebound investigator unscathed.” But we don’t really know that Nate was still there when Laurel arrived, do we?

49. zee zee says:

Did anyone hear what Frank said when he was on the phone with Bonnie after the fire and she told him that Laurel was pregnant? It sounded like he already knew she was in the fire. Maybe Bonnie had called him earlier to tell him.

50. zee zee says:

I understand why the police thought they could turn Wes (after all the boyfriend or husband is usually the main suspect) but I don’t know why they thought Annalise had actually killed Rebecca. Maybe they just wanted Wes to squeel on other things Annalise had done in exchange for not pinning Rebecca’s murder on him. They didn’t say why they were investigating Annelise.