Hawaii Five-0 Masi Oka Max

Masi Oka Leaving Hawaii Five-0

Hawaii Five-0‘s chief medical examiner is hanging up his lab coat.

Masi Oka, who’s been a regular on the CBS procedural since Season 2, is leaving the show. (Entertainment Weekly first broke the news.) The Heroes alum plays examiner Dr. Max Bergman, who uses his medical expertise to help McGarrett (Alex O’Loughlin) and Danny (Scott Caan) solve crimes. Oka debuted on the show in Season 1, then joined the cast full-time the following season.

Oka says he thinks Max’s story is pretty much finished. “I just thought the character went through a major journey,” he tells EW. “Character-wise, I felt like Max had done too much of everything he can do.” He also cites the commute — he works in Los Angeles and Japan; the show shoots in Hawaii — as a factor in his departure: “I’m probably the only one who really commutes to Hawaii, maybe 18 times a year, round-trip.”

Oka’s final episode will be the 13th of the current Season 7, set to air next year, with Max moving to Africa with his new wife Sabrina (Rumer Willis).

Calling all Five-0 fans: Will you miss Max? Hit the comments and share your favorite Max moments.

1. Kevin says:

This makes me so sad. He was great on Heroes but Masi Oka’s departure on Hawaii Five-O breaks my heart.

2. Michelle says:

I’m gonna miss Max 😢 Who’s gonna keep up the Keanu Halloween tradition if Max isn’t around.

3. joyfuljaj says:

most definitely will miss him.

4. Mahalo Max, Masi Oka, for your run in 5-O, and especially from HEROS days, continued success in your future aloha bruh!
    All your scenes were entertaining and spot on!
    Good luck in Japan and the world

5. N says:

Bummer. I liked Max’s humorous bickering with Danny on H5O. Best of luck to Masi wherever he lands.

6. Samuel says:

Shame, but I wish him well. Wonder who will replace him or if it’ll just be different extras.

• H50fan says:

My guess it will be just different extras or guest stars to replace him or the show wont directly show an autopsty being done they just mention an autopsy it was done but they dont air the real action in case they dont find a replacement.

7. I really feel this season has been much better than the last couple ones — and he’s not been in most of it, which means that while it’s not his absence that makes it better, he’s not that essential.

8. Bella says:

I’ll miss him, but it will be a good opportunity to bring in a new character.

9. PatriciaLee says:

Noooooo!!!

10. Karen Dritto says:

I’m very sad that Masi is leaving but look forward to seeing him in his future works. I love him and his portrayal of sweet, smart, Max. The Ohana will be missing an important member.

11. Michael Summerset says:

It seemed in the first episode of the season that he had left. He’s effectively only making a guest appearance in this season.

12. H50fan says:

Lately his presence was not very important or essential so probably it was the right time for him to go. There was another lady doing the autopsy and checking the dead bodies on site and this lady only appear like minutes.

13. drhenning says:

I know of someone who will be out of a job in January who grew up in Hawaii.. what do you think?? go from short to tall?? :)

14. hal says:

Too Bad, he definitely grew into the character.

15. ragnar51 says:

Sad to hear of this, I enjoyed his character and the character’s quirks so much. Maybe H50 can convince George Takei to reprise his role as Max’s dad?

16. MMD says:

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo although the commute is a bitch! I wish him all the best for his future endeavors but he will be missed.

17. handsatlanta says:

Really liked him in Heroes, ot so much in 5-0 altho I’m not sure if it was his acting or the character. Looking forward to seeing him in whatever comes next.

18. johnny says:

Look up his i.q.

19. Mary Maness says:

i am really going to miss Max. I loved him in all the shows. Just don’t kill him off. Let him just leave. That way at least he could make guess appearances maybe.

20. Chris says:

I have always loved you on the show. Please do not leave!

21. Joey Padron says:

Sad he’s leaving the show. Gonna miss Max on the show so much.

22. Richard S. says:

Max will be missed, as he always managed to inject the right amount of subtle humor.

23. Bill Trav says:

Mr. Oka, I wish you much success in your future. You have added a lot to Hawaii Five-O, but I understand if you are ready to move on. We will miss you.

24. sally says:

im glad he leaving cant stand him

25. Barb says:

I really like Max. His character adds so much to the major characters on the show.

26. John Murray says:

I think he added very much as a medical dude

27. Brett says:

Bring back Amanda Setton.

28. Donna Rivera says:

Max is like Ohana! His Character is loyal and respectful. Always honest and compassionate. I will miss seeing you Masi. Continued Success in you carrer and life. Be Happy.

29. SharonP says:

Well with Masi and Alex leaving the show And if it continues without them I guess it will continue without me. They made especially with Masi a show to watch. I love Masi.

• Wendy says:

Alex isn’t leaving yet, his contract runs through Season 8, and they haven’t even been renewed yet for Season 8. Let’s just wait and see what happens. I agree that Masi will be missed, but not enough to stop watching.

30. Sar says:

Max will be missed.
    Doesn’t Scott commute too and that is why he has been in less episodes the last two seasons?

• Nika says:

You are correct Scott had been commuting for the past 2 seasons to see his family in LA. But I guess for Masi Oka, who has business in LA and in Japan it was more difficult as imagine traveling back and forth to LA and even all the way to Japan.

I hope Scott in the long run he wont start thinking the same that due he is commuting too much he will have to exit the show. But then again I doubt H50 will last to a 9th season

31. I just told my wife this and she thought it was for REAL-that Masi was moving to Africa to marry Rumer-and that he’d be well off marrying into the Bruce Willis-Demi Moore family!

32. Pat says:

Yes, I will missed Max – though he has to do what he has to do! My two favorites moments of Max: When he met Sabrina (glad they’re ending his run on a very happy note) and they’re moving to Africa, woohoo! And the Halloween episode with Danny’s children. Good Luck and Best Wishes, Masi Oka (Dr. Max).

33. lsperling says:

I’ll miss Max. I love his quirky character. He’s like the pinch of spice that makes a ho-hum dish special. Good luck to you in your future endeavors.

34. THUNDERBOLT says:

With Alex O’Laughlin leaving this show,they should just end this inferior version of “HAWAII FIVE-O” once and for all,because whatever CBS was thinking,this version is still no match to the Jack Lord series,which will always be the superior!

• grazelled says:

Tried hard to watch an episode of the original, could barely make it through one I found it boring. I like this version better, so much more equal interaction between characters and more action.

35. Jean says:

Yes, I will mix Max. I always thought he was perfect in the part and looked forward to his scenes. Wish he had decided to stay until the show ended.

36. Brenda says:

Love that dude, gonna miss him! Masi Oka created a great character and I will be keeping an eye out for his next project. Good luck and best wishes.

37. Really good actor will miss him but with Steve leaving also, guess next season will be last. Has been a really really great show, wonderful cast, excellent acting, over the top storylines, beautiful scenery. Can’t say enough about this show. LOVE IT!

38. Trish Kerley says:

I love his character. He needs to come back to show

39. Linnster says:

It appears that one of the reasons everyone seems he will be missed is because of his quirky character. I was watching a rerun of Rizzoli & Isles and realized that the Scottish assistant of Dr. Isles also plays a quirky role and thought he might be a good replacement.

40. Jess says:

Going to miss Max. he was hilarious but I understand why he’s leaving and wish him the best of luck.

41. Robin Evans says:

Aww so sad Max is leaving! His character is such a great addition to the stories. He will be missed. Dang can’t he come back for a couple episodes a season so he won’t have to travel so much???

42. homzy11 says:

I think the cross over between Supergirl, Flash, Green Arrow and the Legends was the best one ever done.

43. Patty says:

NOOOO!!!! I love the part of Max!! I hope they leave him the option returning in the future!!

44. dman6015 says:

Sad, but this will probably be Five-O’s final season anyway. Seven years. Contracts are up. O’Loughlin’s been hinting around that he’s done.

45. Mary says:

Oh this is terrible for us. Great for him and I wish him and his family all the best, but I’ll really miss his nutty character. I don’t think they can do better.

46. sally poorman says:

im glad hes leaving, i cant stand him

47. David says:

I thought he was great on Heroes, but on 5-0 his character was too wooden for me. I wish him the best!

48. Tim says:

His story is finished? Did he ever even have a story? Kinda just occasional background comic relief and filler imho. Not a terrible character, but forgettable.

49. Rose says:

Yes I definitely will miss him. Is a very good actor and played the part well

50. castiel82074 says:

I will miss Max…that’s sad. I have been watching Hawaii Five-0 since day one…Will miss his Keanu costumes too!