Gilmore Girls Revival: Lauren Graham Previews Meaningful, Much-Needed 'Healing' Between Lorelai and Emily

ggOne of TV’s most complicated, strained mother-daughter relationships is about to turn a corner.

In Netflix’s Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life, (out Friday, Nov. 25) the death of patriarch Richard (the late Edward Hermann) promises to shine an even brighter spotlight on the decades-long divide ebtween Lorelai (Lauren Graham) and Emily (Kelly Bishop). And as Graham tells it, it leads to some of the revival’s richest moments.

“The healing that happens between Lorelai and Emily is such a long time coming,” the actress told me during our on-camera interview. “And because Richard’s absence is such a big part of our story, it really meant a lot to me to grow their relationship a little bit.”

Graham then adds with a laugh, “Not too much. But a little bit.”

Press PLAY above to watch the latest installment of my Graham-Alexis Bledel Q&A, and then check back in the coming days for more from the duo as well as Team Palladino and Scott Patterson as TVLine’s “18 Days of Gilmore” scoop countdown continues.

1. Isabella Royes says:

THIS is the stuff I am most excited about! Thanks Michael!

2. Lmm says:

Why does it always look like Lauren and Alexis are at odds with each other. They rarely look at each other and the looks on their faces. I hope there is nothing to what I’m seeing.

• Lauren says:

I think Alexis looks uncomfortable all the time. That’s her natural state. She doesn’t do a lot of interviews or even public appearances. She managed to have a child without anyone noticing. So I don’t think it’s anything to read into her relationship with Lauren Graham.

• Ryan says:

I was actually thinking the same thing. They both look absolutely bored when the other is speaking. Then I realised that since this was probably a junket day, they are most likely exhausted and sick of answering the same questions from early morning to late night.

• Isabella Royes says:

Yeah it’s not that they are at odds – Alexis is uncomfortable with the spotlight and with interviews in general, so a lot of times you see Lauren taking the lead with the answers because I think she KNOWS Alexis hates it. Alexis has always been that way. I saw another interview where Alexis said she’d already read Lauren’s book, which I think is a nice sign of their friendship. They’re not BEST friends, but they are bonded in a special way from their experience on this show (how could they not be w/ 18/19 hour work days) and Lauren has said that in an interview recently as well.

• Laurie says:

I think it has more to do with the fact that Alexis is very reserved and shy. Even Kelly mentioned that Alexis doesn’t talk that much.

• jj says:

Alexis is an introvert and consequently uncomfortable in the interview setting. So Lauren takes the lead. Also the physical set up isn’t conducive to them looking at each other. They are meant to be looking at Michael and the camera.

• Luli says:

Even Lauren said to Alexis in one of those other interviews they’ve posted “Did I get you out of this one??” after having a long answer… So i’m guessing she knows interviews are not really her scene, and she helps her by taking the lead.

• Jill says:

On the DVD extras, Alexis is very reserved in her interviews. It’s just who she is. And we are only getting 1-3 minutes at a time of what was probably a 20 minute interview. Watching the whole interview at once would make us think completely different.

3. Lauren says:

This video format doesn’t work on my tablet (crying). Are they on your You Tube channel?

4. MMD says:

The character of Richard is going to be so missed. I was re-re-rewatching all day yesterday and I felt so much sadness every time he was in a scene. He was indeed a presence but now it will be interesting to see how Emily copes. Although it will never be peaches and cream between she and Lorelai, but hopefully they’ve both mellowed with time and age.