Donald Trump 60 Minutes Interview

Donald Trump on 60 Minutes: The 10 Most Surprising Revelations

President-elect Donald Trump — yes, it’s still strange to say that — sat down with CBS’ 60 Minutes on Sunday to discuss what he plans to accomplish when he takes office in January. And some of his comments were nearly as surprising as his campaign’s victory.

In an in-depth conversation with 60 Minutes correspondent Lesley Stahl in Trump Tower on Friday, a noticeably subdued Trump addressed which of his campaign promises he intended to keep, his post-election conversations with Hillary Clinton and President Obama, and his reaction to the acts of racially charged violence being carried out in his name across the country.

Here, the ten most surprising revelations from Donald Trump’s 60 Minutes interview:

1. He’s already made nice with many of his opponents.

This presidential campaign was one of the most bitter we’ve ever seen, but Trump struck a conciliatory note with the candidates he battled against. He said of Hillary Clinton’s phone call to concede: “She couldn’t have been nicer. She’s a great competitor. Very strong. Very smart.” He noted that Bill Clinton and both President Bushes called to congratulate him. And he described his meeting with President Obama in cordial terms: “I found him to be terrific. I found him to be very smart and very nice. Great sense of humor.”

2. The “Wall” may be more like a fence.

Stahl asked Trump directly about his campaign promise to build a wall along the U.S./Mexico border, adding that some have said it’ll really be more like a fence. Would he accept that, she asked? “For certain areas, I would,” he responded, adding, “I’m very good at this. It’s called construction.” But he doubled down on his plan to deport millions of undocumented immigrants: “The people with criminal records, we’re getting them out of our country, or we’re going to incarcerate.” He did note, though, that some of those immigrants are “terrific people.”

3. He’s already working with lobbyists… but he doesn’t like it.

Trump railed against the lobbyists and special-interest groups that dominate Washington during his campaign, but Stahl noted that he’s already added a number of lobbyists to his transition team. Trump copped to this, saying “I don’t like it, no,” but they’re “the only people you have down there. That’s the problem with the system. We’re gonna clean it up. They know the system right now, but we’re gonna phase that out.”

4. He wants any of his supporters attacking minorities to “stop it.”

Trump feigned ignorance when Stahl asked him about the rash of racially charged attacks on minorities since his election: “I’m very surprised to hear that. I hate to hear it.” (He added, “I think it’s a very small amount.”) What would he say to Trump supporters taunting and attacking minorities? “I say stop it. If it helps. I’ll say it right to the camera: Stop it.” He later added, “I think it’s horrible, if it’s happening.” But he cautioned: “I think it’s built up by the press.”

5. He credits social media for his big win.

Trump is a notorious tweeter, and he intends to continue using Twitter and other social media in a “very restrained” manner as President: “It’s a great form of communication.” He sees it as a way to get his message out when he’s criticized by the mainstream media: “I have a method of fighting back.” And he thinks it was instrumental in his victory: “I think it helped me win all these races where they spent much more money than I did. I think social media has more power than the money they spent.”

6. He won’t commit to locking Hillary Clinton up.

Despite promising that he would appoint a special prosecutor to put Hillary Clinton in jail if he won, Trump’s stance has softened. “I’m gonna think about it,” he says. “I want to focus on jobs. I want to focus on health care.” He insists “she did some bad things,” but he showed sympathy for the Clintons: “I don’t want to hurt them. They’re good people.” He’ll keep us in suspense on this one, he tells Stahl: “I’ll give you a very good and definitive answer the next time we do 60 Minutes.”

7. Even Melania thinks he goes too far sometimes.

Future First Lady Melania Trump also sat down with Stahl, and she addressed his aggressive approach on Twitter: “Sometimes it got him in trouble, but it helped a lot as well.” Did she ever tell him he crossed the line? “I did. Of course I did. Many times. Sometimes he listens, sometimes he doesn’t… I think he hears me, but he will do what he wants to do in the end.”

8. He won’t fight to overturn gay marriage.

Opposition to LGBT rights has been a part of the Republican platform for decades, but Trump signaled that he doesn’t want to continue that fight. When Stahl brought up the LGBT community, he proudly replied, “I mentioned them at the Republican national convention.” And he’s not planning to oppose gay marriage in the courts, he says: “It’s irrelevant, because it’s already settled. It’s done. I’m fine with that.”

9. He’d be in favor of ditching the electoral college.

The electoral college system gave Trump the win (Hillary won the popular vote), and Trump, shockingly, isn’t against switching to a straight popular vote count. “I would rather see it where you went with simple votes,” he said. “You know, you got 100 million votes, someone else gets 90 million votes…” But he added, in defense of the electoral college: “There’s a reason for doing this, because it brings all the states into play. And there’s something very good about that. I do respect the system.”

10. He’ll only take a dollar per year in salary.

Trump doesn’t need the salary that comes with the office of president — around $400,000 a year — and he confirmed to Stahl that he’ll forego that salary: “I think I have to, by law, take one dollar. So I’ll take one dollar a year.” He didn’t even know how much the president makes, and had to ask Stahl. But he reiterated: “I’m not taking it.” The savings won’t pay off the national debt… but it’s a start.

What’s your reaction to Donald Trump’s 60 Minutes interview? Hit the comments and share your thoughts.

1. TheloNaGrapso says:

Many of us don’t like it, but you got to give it a rest all that vitriol. Certainly not the first time in history many people are not happy with the result.

• True but a president winning never meant it being okay to be racist to others until this moment. He inspires that in people and has the KKK’s support. He incites hate and division. So until that changes we will continue to voice our vitriol.

• gpjoel says:

Stop with the KKK. He can’t control who supports him. They are a tiny group of about 5000. There are more people in the USA with leprosy than there are KKK members. Stop empowering this evil, no power, hate group.

• Sally Goupell says:

Thank you gpjoel for your comments. You are so right. Trump is not responsible for the people who support him any more than he is for people like Alejandra who hate him. Give it a rest and let’s see if the guy can do better than what we had. I think almost anyone could do that!!!

• dman6015 says:

My, my, my. Such conciliatory proclamations from the same people who constantly brought up Alinsky and Akers throughout Obama’s presidency.

• fiberlicious says:

They support him because he agrees with them. Pull your head out.

• jbj says:

Alejandra, read a US history book, or at least watch some historical movies, why don’t you!

• Joel says:

You’re wrong about almost everything. Take a look back in our history. It is littered with racist presidents. Also, he does not incite hate and division, your interpretation is extremely biased. Understand, I was not happy about our choices for this election.

• Mary says:

You really believe that his words used during the campaign did not incite hate or division? Well even if you do believe that guess what the divide is greater than it ever has been and I don’t see that changing anytime soon with the people he has picked to be on his team.

• Nancy says:

He doesn’t support the KKK at all. He’s repeatedly said that. Nothing about the sexual allegations were proven. There will be no court, because there isn’t a case. Stop believing the media, stop being led and use your own mind.

• Rhonda says:

Actually it is the media that incites hate and racism. I think Trump has said some pretty out there things but he has never said he hates immigrants, blacks, Mexicans, etc. The media takes what he says and twists it.

• Mary says:

No actually he did. Did he mean all of them, probably not, but that just proves that the man doesn’t think before speaking. I wish all of you would pull your heads out of the sand and face the fact it wasn’t the media it was him. The media did point out the lies but I guess that didn’t matter.

• Whatevah8 says:

I don’t “got” to do anything. The fact that a reality tv star that has not paid taxes in 30 years is our president is not something that is okay with me & never will be.

2. BickerBake says:

I’m not thrilled about the lobbyists, the Clintons are not good people, and Trump won the popular vote, not Hillary.

• Tori says:

This is funnier than anything I’ve read in a loooooong time. Hillary has slaughtered him in the popular vote. Like second largest popular win in history. You’re as loose with the facts as the Donald.

• Pedro says:

Slaughtered? Did she get 30% more votes? 15%? Or even 5% more?

• Sue Christensen says:

She did not. Stop watching TV media because that is exactly why Hillary lost. The liberal store bought media lied to their brainwashed followers,. Well actually one of the many reasons the crooked skank lost.

• Kathie Howard says:

You must count using that new math. Last I heard, he beat her by a landslide!

• Ben Miller says:

As of what’s counted now, there were about 122 million votes cast and the difference between Clinton and Trump is about 500k. That’s about 4% and once Michigan is added to the mix, it will decrease. Incidentally, it’s nearly idencal to the difference between Bush and Gore in 2000.

Dems always get the majority of votes in major cities like NYC, Philly, Miami, Chicago, and LA. Does that mean those who live in big cities are more important than the rest of America, that they should decide how the elections are decided? The electoral college is a fair system that prevents disenfranchisement from voters in all the other states.

• It’s like you’re saying moving to a big city transforms you into a Democrat. But one person, one vote, does not somehow make the cities count for more. Just because more Democrats live in high population centers doesn’t mean they can’t be counterbalanced by large turnout from rural voters, as this very election proved.
            And meanwhile, you’re stating that your issue is it would make big cities “more important.” But doesn’t the electoral college make battleground states more important? I live in New York, and my general election vote counted for basically nothing, compared to people in battleground states who actually decide the election. Seems to me the electoral college is a system that forces candidates to fight over certain states and certain demographics while ignoring the rest of us.

• Otis says:

It is actually not even half a percent of the vote. It will show on the calculator as 0.004 which is 4 tenths of one percent

• Otis says:

Dan, you are incorrect about your vote counting less than battleground states. The reason Presidential candidates usually spend less time in New York is that it is a reliable Democrat vote. In fact, unless you are a Republican, your vote in New York (as well as California) gives ANY Democrat a BIG advantage. Those 2 states (along with Illinois) are why the Democrat usually has a big advantage in the electoral college. The EC helps to mitigate the total value of spending time in those states somewhat but, if either of those states were competitive for Republicans, candidates would campaign in them more often. As it is, Democrats (and Republicans) pretty much only use them for fund raising stops.

• Leo Berry says:

In every country the big cities determine the vote and it’s the only fair way . Less population=smaller chance to influence the vote.

• Benny says:

You do know that Donald Trump still wants to get rid of the Electoral College?

• Pedro says:

That is not about four per cent. Almost five million votes would be four percent. Learn Math.

• you need to get with the facts lol and look at those numbers again

• Otis says:

Her winning percentage was less than 0.3% of the vote. Obama beat Romney by 5 million votes. That is not even taking into account Reagan winning 49 states against Mondale. Clinton is leading in the counted ballots (by somewhere around 500,000 votes out of over 121,000,000) which is statistically not a wide margin. Not all ballots are counted (referring to absentee, military, and provisional) if the total outstanding votes are less than the margin of victory in a particular state. I have not seen a count of how many outstanding votes there are which may never be counted.

• Umad says:

No, she didn’t. So far, VoteFraud.org has counted over three million votes for Clinton that were cast by illegal aliens. Those votes are fraudulent, and therefore invalid. Vote totals will be adjusted after the appropriate legal actions are taken.

• KCC says:

If you read it on the internet it must be true. Illegal aliens are a very sophisticated group that could defraud the American electoral process like that.
          Or the people running the polling places aren’t very good at fulfilling their duties by being out witted by 3 million people.
          Or wait, I know, it’s the media that’s manipulating the ignorant aliens to do their dirty work for them, that makes more sense.
          According to the Brennancenter.org voter fraud is a myth, so there’s that to consider. Which is right? The internet can be such a confusing place. I guess I’ll just believe whatever feels right to me irregardless of any actual facts or what logic dictates.

• Leia says:

0.1 % ps they don’t ever count the total vote because of the EC, so we won’t likely ever know, the race is for the EC not popular vote.

• BickerBake, WRONG. Hillary actually won the popular vote. She’s beat him by 400K votes and is currently on track to be millions of votes ahead after all provisional and absentee votes are counted. California alone has 4.5 million of these uncounted votes. Not debating you, just correcting you. Lobbyists are the problem. The Clintons ARE good people. We all have opinions but Clintons have SERVED the public for years.

• Ribbe says:

Hello for years they have lied through their teeth ask any good Indian.white man lie through teeth.Read the newspapers.Really open up mind to TRUTH.

• Dayna says:

From the results I’ve seen she didn’t slaughter him in the popular vote. And, no doubt California would put her ahead in the popular vote. That is where almost half of the population of the USA lives along with New York and Miami. That’s why the electoral system was put in place so that certain areas of the country could not control the presidency. Meaning we all know that’s where liberals /democrats live. So, that would not be fair by any means.

• Infinite Hope says:

Correction, the electoral college was put in place because our founders did not trust the people not to elect a madman and they wanted a “fail safe” to prevent someone unqualified from being president. Saying that “there are more democrats in the country so it’s not fair if they get to control it” is not a logical statement. In fact, it’s the argument for why a national popular vote would be the most fair solution to decide who governs our country. It’s unbalanced that 7 states essentially get to decide who our next president is because they are the “swing” states. Almost two hundred million American citizens did not vote in this election, many because they live in states where their vote literally does not matter–because everyone knows which are the red states and which are the blue states and unless you live in Ohio, or Michigan, or Pennsylvania, or Wisconsin, you may as well stay home if your guy or gal is leading in the polls. It doesn’t encourage high voter turn out in dark red or dark blue states and I think that’s a terrible shame that could be easily corrected with a national popular vote.

• Matthw says:

The electoral college was made so that the large population centers of the country did not control the results. Looks the map of the 2016 election by county. It is self-explanatory. The vast majority of people live in a few densely populated cities. That is why the Electoral college was invented and implemented.

• MrPete says:

Infinite Hope, please read up on the EC. Maybe watch the PragerU video. It was/is specifically so every state is important. We have 51 “popular vote” contests. It’s quite simple actually. That way every state is important. That way fraud in one state won’t affect the entire nation. And guess what: the Red/Blue states vary over time! NPV doesn’t correct the problem; makes it worse: then ONLY the urban areas would get attention. Then, any fraud can affect the whole nation. And then, those in rural areas would get less attention than they already get… even though they are the breadbasket of the nation.

• the cookie queen says:

But the Electoral College should not have the power to negate ballots that they deam unimportant!! The system is antiquated, old and outdated.

• Ben Miller says:

Infinite Hope, you should read the actual documents instead of trusting what you see in blogs and biased media sources. Your assessment of the electoral college and its purpose is grossly inaccurate.

• Thank you Hope, well said. My thoughts exactly. As a New Yorker, my general election vote has not mattered in any presidential cycle I’ve voted in.

• your wrong get the final count

• Paul Carroll says:

They have “Served” the public for years? So it serves my family to have a President impeached for lying, being unfaithful to his wife with an intern, sexually molesting woman. She tried to destroy the women who came forth to tell their story of how Bill raped or molested them. They have made millions off of selling there servant like influence. She has carelessly given away our state secrets to our enemies. Come on! Wake up! With service like this I think I’ll pass.

• Mary says:

So you voted for someone with the same character as what you don’t approve of. Doesn’t sound logical. No proof that she has given away anything so give that a rest.

• Pedro says:

Bill Clinton was not impeached.

• Mar says:

Didn’t Donald in the above interview no less just called them good people that he doesn’t want to hurt? The reason I didn’t vote for Donald Trump has absolutely nothing to do with Hillary Clinton. They are both deployable despicable human beings, let’s not blow smoke up each other’s ass!!! let’s not fight over it either because the people who are now standing up for Him will be the same ones lynching him when they realize that the man played them! I hope I’m wrong but there is nothing in his character to prove otherwise!
          If You want to argue the point then show me all the charitable contributions he’s made over the years he’s been a billionaire for 30 years right? he’s a builder right, an amazing incredible one,if you ask him! where are the houses he built in New Orleans or after Sandy where’s the soup kitchen he donated his time too? Donald Trump has been and will always Be a self serving asshole! He had no problem bankrupting the little guy in AC it’s a tremendous deal his words not mine. He bankrupted a friend of mine it was an ugly time for Tony he almost lost his house his parents house and finally when he was able to confronted Donald do you want to know what he said to him!!! The same man whose employees didn’t believe that a billionaire wasn’t paying him or that he truly didn’t have the money to pay them himself, they threw rocks through his windows slash his tires and threw dog crap on his wife’s car !!! Do you know what that wonderful outstanding individual Donald Trump said to him “that he should’ve known better then to play with the big fish!!! that’s what the man said! he was not apologetic for bankrupting him. He specifically chose smaller developers and contractors because they didn’t have the recourse to sue him and when they threatened too he wished them luck and informed them that he would take whatever little money they had left keeping the case in the courts forever!!! that’s the man you’re fighting with your friend and family over!!! And before someone says he not talking a salary smh he’s not taken a salary so that his kids can continue to run his company which is a huge conflict of interest!!!

• Wordsmith says:

Check again – Hillary won by over half a million votes overall. If only her 2.75 million vote lead in California could have been spread across a few of those swing states, things would have look very different.
      The law is the law, and I’m glad we’re moving forward as a nation right now, but those are the actual, factual numbers.

• anon says:

Clinton 63.4m
      Trump 61.2m

63.4 is a higher number than 61.2.

• JJ says:

Trump supporters don’t do math. Or facts. Or reading. Or thinking. The majority of them were people who decided they were willing to destroy America to affirm their perceived supremacy as white people. His supporters are trash and arguing with them is pointless. The rest of us just have to hope we don’t end up hanging from trees.

• Dory Anne DeMille says:

Wonderful to see how open-minded and tolerant liberals are when you don’t agree with them. The majority of “name-calling” have been from their side.

• Swear says:

And Hillary supporters seem to have failed civics 101. The winner of the electorate college is president…….we won’t mention what her supporters are doing right now, will we?

• JJ says:

Tell us more about the “electorate college” you brilliant civics expert. Trump wasn’t kidding web he said he loves the uneducated and you clearly love him back.

• Coop says:

Yes, please continue with this strategy of appealing to Obama-Trump voters. Should work!

• coming from the mouth of an idiot

• JJ, as a Democrat myself, please cease this sort of offensive and denigrating rhetoric immediately. One of the chief reasons for the polarization in our country is the willingness of liberals to label anyone who disagrees with them as bigoted in some fashion, and it has created the very backlash which resulted in Trump’s election.
          I’m not saying there aren’t problems within the conservative movement, too. But we liberals must stop spouting off and backing conservatives into a corner. They’re allowed to have a perspective too. We need to have a robust debate centered around issues and policies, not name-calling and mutually assured destruction.

• Otis says:

Dan, I wish this comments section allowed likes for your response to JJ. I don’t blame liberals only, myself (I realize you mentioned liberals specifically only because JJ is apparently a Democrat as are you). The problem resides with people on both sides. You have too many people today who want to be heard but don’t want to actually listen.

• Lanna Lane says:

Dan, you are right. The name calling and insults are cracking the chasm between us wider. The day is going to come when we need each other,

• Lori says:

No…. Hilary is on track to win the popular vote.

• TJ says:

once all the votes are counted… they are still counting the absentee ballots… they are projecting she will have 2 million more votes than Trump. You need to read and watch a variety of news sources.

• Belinda Lee Rathert says:

Wrong! Who won the popular vote! Donald won the Electoral College. But those votes can be changed also on December 19th and believe you me there a lot of people working on it. He ran a hateful campaign and now he doesn’t want me to react the way he told them to. Hypocrite!

• You need to read more on this in your con.rights and all the votes were not in at mic. Or az Trump won both states ,look it up that’s what media isn’t saying

• Matthw says:

One problem… The electors that are assigned to vote on December 19th are PARTY LOYALISTS!!!! That is why they were chosen, so they would vote they way the state bound them to vote.

• Yes you are right and the truth needs to tell media to tell the truth I think it would stop the Riots,because the is what it is not a protest.

• Malik says:

Then you do not know how to count Hillary won the popular vote and so did the Democrats in the Senate race. Don’t try to minimise the fact that the vast majority of Americans voted against this man and this party, their victories are through clever gerrymandering redistricting and block voting. His whole team from him to his campaign manager admits that he lost the popular vote, just like Bush against Gore. So once again, enjoy the victory that was handed to you but not truly earned. But it’s the sign of the times cause now a days we teach the kids even the looser gets a trophy. Can someone bring the 70s back.

• Angie says:

Trump DIDNOT win the popular vote. Hillarydid.

• Benny says:

Secretary Clinton won the popular vote by 1 million votes or more.

3. Al says:

I am the biggest Clinton supporter but this interview calm some of my fear

I think he could help and hopes he does – plus I think he says stuff to get attention and isn’t that bad of a person

• Al says, I want to believe him but he may be saying what we want to hear to avoid the electoral college’s chance for faithless (GOP) electors who are not happy with him either. We’ll see his true colors after 12/19.

• Ben says:

I agree. This made me feel a lot better.

• g says:

seriously ??? his answers were mind-numbingly simple & didn’t address or actually answer ANYTHING he was asked (same goes for any of the other family members).
        And worse was Leslie Stahl’s questions and LACK of pertinent follow up questions:
        ie. … what the F is a “professional protestor” ?? and who supposedly is paying thousands and thousands of people nationwide to protest?

or re: building a wall – HOW / who will pay for it when Mexico says: FU
        or better yet – why for the love of logic does no reporter ever ask what about serious FINES or imprisonment for the U.S. companies/ citizens who hire undocumented immigrants if it’s such an issue – how about punishing the people OFFERING the work (ie. the source) and not just scapegoating the poor & powerless people who are sometimes living here their whole lives through no fault of their own?

there are SOOOOO many questions and issues about this vile man and his entire family for that matter – including most especially about jobs he supposedly values so much and yet refuses to deal with his own hotel workers unions and/ or making all his branded products (clothing etc) overseas – how about ask him when he’s planning to bring those jobs to the U.S.

the entire 60 Minutes episode was a fluff piece at best and no different than anything before the election

thoughts?

• Ben Miller says:

You need to get out more. As for the protestors, there are many pictures of their buses and the Craigslist ads recruiting them. I live near Philly and the ads are still up. Soros is funding them to delegitimatize the election results.

• anon says:

I was feeling a bit calmer between this interview and reading some articles and talking it out with some people this weekend. Then I learned that he’s apparently bringing an anti-Semite into the White House as one of his top advisors. Great /sarcasm

• Angela says:

Yeah, was going to say, I’d be paying very close attention to the people he wants to add to his cabinet. The names being floated around thus far aren’t exactly reassuring. Especially if you consider the belief some have that Trump’s not REALLY interested in actually being president, and will leave the running of the country to the people around him. Considering Mike Pence will be vice president, that’s…a very, very unsettling thought.

• anon says:

Right? I never thought I’d long for the days where I thought Romney and McCain would be the worst. What did we do to deserve this? I’m a good person! You’re a good person!

• TJ says:

I would have been disappointed if McCain or Romney had won. Mainly because I disagreed with some of their policies but I like them as people. I would have worked harder to elect who better represented me in the next election. This time around along with policies, hate was voted on. Maybe not all of his supporters are racist but they all decided that racism isn’t a deal breaker when it comes to our President.

• Angela says:

Haha, good question. I honestly don’t know.
            But yeah, I echo what TJ said here. Plus, at least McCain and Romney could be trusted not to go on bizarre three am Twitter rants the moment somebody dared to criticize or mock them. Trump’s a petulant man child who actually had his Twitter taken away from him for a time earlier this week because of his tendency to not control himself online. And now we’re giving him our nuclear codes?!
            Yeah. Something went very, very wrong here.

• Nunya Bidnazz says:

You kept saying, “I’m a good person, you’re a good person, but THOSE people are ignorant, uneducated, backward racist rednecks who don’t deserve to have a say in America – Let’s run it for them!” THAT’s what you did to deserve it. You were arrogant and bigoted, and that means that in some respects you are NOT a good person.

• TJ says:

Yes this might have been calming until he put Steve Bannon in the White House.

• Dory Anne DeMille says:

I really believe people will see he only wants to help this country.

• g says:

you’re delusional if you seriously believe he cares about anyone – much less the poor or the poorly educated who voted for him
        in time (probably before Jan 20th) – I’m confident you’ll change you’re tune as he continues to show exactly what he wants to do by who he puts into positions of power

and when you say “help this country” the question is “for who?”
        cause it sure as heck isn’t for all the groups of people he constantly insulted for the past 18 months (and prior)

try to be more critical with your thinking and question EVERYTHING he says

• Cat says:

Names being talked about for key positions-
        An oil CEO for secretary of energy
        A Goldman Sachs banker for secretary of treasury
        And oh yeah, a health insurance CEO for secretary of health
        Yeah that’s going to destroy your country not make it better.

• Ben says:

Dory, I agree that Trump only wants to help the country. And it’s time for people to get over the fact that Hilary lost.

I really wanted Hillary to win. But it’s not because I didn’t think Donald was genuine. It’s because I think Donald doesn’t know what he’s doing, and it’s because I think many of his policies have failed to learn from history (and he has capitalised on the fact that many people in everyday blue collar jobs – smart people, mind, not ‘dummy rednecks’ – have to work so hard that they’d hardly have time to do ‘exactly what do detailed statistics and history in US and the world have to say about these policies’. And it’s also because I don’t like that he is particularly validated by Christians when I believe he has shown a lot of behaviours that no Christian should validate.

I’m heartened by the 60 minutes interview because Donald has stepped back from a number of policies that would be failures, and he’s also showing he understands what he needs to do not to cause pain to minority groups and allow people to feel like they have the mandate to act on whatever -ism is their favourite. He needs to do it more strongly in time, but it’s a start.

But also, I’m just not surprised by the interview. I have, essentially, always expected Donald to be somewhat conciliatory in the end. I just don’t like the fact that this kind of campaign works – and I also don’t like how reactive and insensitive a person he is. But, perhaps even at 70 these are qualities he can improve on.

I don’t think it’s the end of the world, and sometimes I wish people would stop being overreactive (something they are worried about Donald being!) and realise that the right to hold an opinion so deeply that you can’t accept reality is not going to make one a happy person.

• Grey'sFan says:

Glad to hear him say he won’t oppose gay rights and that gay marriage is here and he won’t stand in the way. But, I want him to say the same thing about women’s rights and say he won’t take away a women’s right to do what’s right for her and to choose to live her life the way she chooses to.

• Jimmy says:

I believe Ivanka will help on woman’s rights; however, if you were alluding to pro choice he said in the interview he’s pro life and his Supreme Court justice will be as well. He said that woman may need to cross state line if they want an abortion. It will be up to the states to decide if they will allow abortions.

• g says:

Ivanka doesn’t give a crap about women’s rights (or respect for other women)
          his own comments about HER made directly in front of her in various interviews is beyond odd and just plain gross – saying his own daughter is a piece of ass and he would be dating her if she wasn’t his daughter ….. ???

if she cared about women’s rights – she should start with herself and how her father speaks about her …. much less control her choice what to do with her body, etc etc

• Jenna says:

Ivanka trump is actually a champion for equal pay for women and paid maternity leave for mothers. She’s been involved in these causes before her father even announced that he was running for president.

4. Tracey Welch says:

Very interesting, I will take a wait and see attitude until he is in office and see what he actually does.

5. Coop says:

The electoral system isn’t going anywhere and nor should it. It prevents politicians from catering to population centers at the expense of rural counties, which obviously cover the vast amount of the country’s territory. The founders knew what they were doing.

None of those things he said are really surprising. Also, it won’t be surprising when he says something different on every single issue 2 hours from now either. :p

• JJ says:

Actually, the electoral college was created to prevent a demagogue like Trump from becoming president.

• Infinite Hope says:

You forget, when the electoral college was formed–EVERYWHERE was a “rural” area. As stated below, the electoral college was established as a “fail safe” to prevent someone unfit from becoming president. And as ever, our great country has changed and shifted over the years, evolving in some ways and devolving in others. The electoral college as a system no longer makes sense, and certainly not for the reasons it was initially created, as it has done exactly the opposite as intended–7 states essentially get to hold the rest hostage as they decide which way the wind is going to blow. It should be majority rules. That’s the fair, democratic way. This is definitely something we need to amend in our constitution, just as we have amended other things that no longer made sense or served the greater good.

• Coop says:

There have always been densely populated areas, population has just grown considerably throughout history making “rural counties” larger and larger. Still a significant margin and it always will be. The real reason for the popular vote difference this time? Look at the Senate races: predominately Democratic leaning states with the main battle being in California between two Democrats. The Democrats had more votes!! Yeah, no duh. On the flip side, House Republicans had 3.5+ million more votes than the Democrats across the country.

Finally, there’s no such thing as a permanent set of “battleground states” or “(insert red or blue) wall”. They’re constantly changing and have been since the establishment of the country. Texas will someday be blue again, just as California will one day be red. When? Who the heck knows.

The constitution isn’t going to be amended, so you might as well stop wasting your time. There’s not 2/3’s vote in the Congress and the 35+ states that would be negatively impacted politically would laugh in California, New York, Illinois, etc. faces.

• Ben says:

It’s odd, though, that the politicans essentially end up catering to rural counties at the expense of population centers, no?

A good system would be one where all of it mattered. The difference in popular vote is not so much that rural voters can afford to be ignored, even in a different system.

6. He’s hitting the ground running . Good to see he’s going to clean up the system and fulfil his pledges. It will be a tough battle but praise kek he will do what needs to be done.

• Mary says:

You really think he is draining the swamp. All I see is him adding a few new creatures to it. The biggest one is Bannon. I guess that is to be expected when citizens elected someone who is clueless.

7. Tori Coop says:

#NotMyPresident

8. Penny Dunn says:

I thought Mr. Trump and his family did an awesome job in spite of the biased still evident by 60 mins. The fact alone that they all believe our country is more important than the salary of the president and making money off of clothing line is commendable. I believe even though he says vacationing is not on their list I think they will need breaks.

• Cas says:

Yeah so hard to not take 400,000 a year when you are already rich. I don’t mind the guy but lets stop praising him for giving up his salary. It may be more than others have done but being as he is rich he didn’t need it in the first place.

9. TV Gord says:

I’m all for him tonight down the vitriol, but I think he runs a very real risk of alienating the people who got him elected. That could spell trouble, when even Trump fails to come through on his promises.

10. Z says:

Dear Americans, take it from someone who also had their country elect a misogynist in 2016, stop the hate. Just accept that he’s gonna be your president for at least 4 years but also be vigilant when he crosses the line. I will echo Dave Chappelle’s sentiments and just give the annoying orange man a chance.

11. anon says:

So gay marriage is a done issue but Roe vs Wade isn’t? Why not exactly? I’m pretty sure Roe vs Wade was “settled” long before gay marriage so let it go Republicans!

• No says:

Roe in Roe vs Wade wants it repealed. She says she was used by activists lawyers and never even had an abortion.

• Mary says:

Missing the point. Remember we have separation of church and state for a reason. A women has the right to choose what they do with their body period. If you don’t approve don’t have one. That issue has been settled, move on to the important stuff like getting the economy moving.

12. Ribbe says:

The news Media should be opened mind that there is a way to defeat ISIS but dammit never tell u r secret attack. Remember Pearl Harbor. Let’s get real.

13. JJ says:

His comments on gay marriage are meaningless. He’s going to appoint an extremist right wing judge who will do the dirty work.

14. Dory Anne DeMille says:

I hope the people who were so frightened can take a step back and try to believe and support this current president. There’s a reason why half of the country voted for him. We are not bigots or racist.

• Jj says:

Keep telling yourself that. Maybe someday you won’t be one.

• GuessWhat says:

again, another one bad with math.

• JJ says:

Maybe Trump supporters are so bad at election math because they’re counting then minorities at 3/5 a vote.

• Jimmy says:

For some reason, Trump got 30% of Latino votes. So we have to actually lower that number since minority votes only count 3/5.

Guys just let it all out. It’s happening.

• Angela says:

“We are not bigots or racist.” they insist, despite voting for a man who spouted racist, bigoted views all over the place.

• Jj says:

Yep. They should own their filth and ignorance. I guess it’s promising they’re still pretending their vote was just ‘economic anxiety’… on some level they know they’re wrong.

• anon says:

It reminds me of when you talk to a relative and they’re all “That doctor who took care of me at Urgent Care was black! And so nice and intelligent!” And you can tell that they want you to respond with “wow!” and not “um………. okay?”

• Jimmy says:

There’s a lot of silliness in these comments. So you’re saying you are who you vote for. So if I voted for Bill Clinton, then that means I would be an alleged rapist. Sheesh get a grip. We all know that both candidates were seriously flawed. If you guys can’t see why a lot of people didn’t vote for HRC excluding that they’re “racists and bigots”, then you’re ignoring a lot of what she has done. I preferred Bern over HRC and he could’ve beaten trump. But the DNC put the fix in for HRC and is a big reason Trump won the election. If you think all votes should count, then you really need to take a look at the superdelegates in the primary races. Let me tell you, your votes in the democratic primary did not count in a lot of places.

There could be some thing crazy that happens before the inauguration. Because a clairvoyant has said that the 44th president will be our last president and that he was African American. I believe this clairvoyant died in ’93 or ’03. Can’t remember, but it was before ’08.

Just throwing out some hope for these people. They appear to need it.

• Mary says:

You know I believe her when she said that she wasn’t a bigots or racist. What she failed to realize with her vote that she perpetrate those individuals who are into office. They have allowed for those bigots and racist to have total control and therefore, they have to take some of the responsibility for what has happen. Many voted for him because they are against the Government elite, but as you can see they aren’t going to get the desire effect because look at his team. Trump represents everything I taught my children NOT to be.

15. Amy Wilenius says:

I thought he was very thoughtful and candid. I think that he will take us back into strength as a world power again. For too long we have been suffering, the average person. How can you tell your children that they will never achieve more than you? I know the elitist think they have all the answers but where are they when the average American has to choose to eat or pay the electric bill?

• Jj says:

Tell your children if they want to achieve more they should get an education – something you clearly didn’t bother to do.

• Jimmy says:

Wow you’re busy attacking people!! Is that the liberal way?

• Jj says:

I’m telling it like it is. Thought you deplorables liked that.

• Calm&Collected says:

Wow! The truth comes out. Deplorables was HRC’s words.Apparently it is a mindset with both of you. Anyone that does not agree with you is of a lesser station. Typical, but not true. It was that statement, along with the past actions of HRC that energized people to vote not FOR DJT, but AGAINST her. It was inaction in Bengazi, and the statement that it didn’t matter afterwards. It was using her office to make her much richer. If you want to downplay Trump not taking a salary because he is “rich”, then please name me the last president that was not a millionaire. As for the riots, wasn’t it the democrats that were saying they did not want to see people rioting when HRC won? I guess this is just another double-standard. Grow up people. The EC is in place, and is the law of the land until it is changed. I do not agree with it, as I think every vote should count independently, but we work within our system, and abide by it’s results. Nothing spectacular is to come. DJT will be inaugurated. HRC has already conceded. I sincerely hope that this country will be better soon. If not, maybe both parties can nominate people that will be batter for the people next time around.

• Angela says:

My family’s had to make that very choice. And we still didn’t vote for Trump.
      Seriously, how do you and other Trump supporters who are struggling financially honestly believe somebody as rich as Trump is actually going to help you? Trickle down economics does not work, contrary to what Republicans keep saying.

• The interesting point is saying the U.S. will become the greatest country…..the U.S. IS the greatest nation. For those who do not travel outside the U.S., maybe you believe we aren’t, but I assure you I’ve not traveled to any country without someone asking me how they might immigrate because they wish to live in such a great country.

For me, I am suspicious of his actions so far. He is waffling on his “promises” to the Republican base.

• You’re clearly delusional, in Europe, where i live, no one thinks America is the greatest country in the world and few people would want to immigrate there.
        In your country you don’t have most of the rights we take for granted, you should watch the documentary “where to invade next” to have a better idea.

• While you’re at it you might want to explain to your children why you elected the man that probably is going to destroy the world by repealing all obama’s policies about pollution.
      You sold your children future for a few bucks in your pockets

• Ben says:

I guess one of the sad things about this is, that Americans do not understand that Obama did bring you back as a world power. You gained back your respect, your status… we were looking up to you. You threw it all away electing Trump.

Insular thinking, walls, creating trade barriers, telling your allies they need to pay for their defence – that doesn’t make you a world power, it isolates you from the world. It pushes other nations into the hands of the EU, or potentially worse, China…

Your foreign policy just isn’t very good, and Trump is not going to make it better.

Trump’s policies mean well, and who knows they may restore many aspects of American domestic society, they may indeed ‘make America great again’ on the domestic scene. And I can’t wait for if Trump follows through with things like moon landings. There may be some great stuff coming along the way. But don’t expect USA’s global reputation to be among them.

16. Belinda Lee Rathert says:

He ran his campaign on Haight, racism, Bill. Well, Muslims, stop and frisk, racial profiling, misogynist, xenophobic sexual assault being ok, and called Hillary Clinton every bad name in the book. Now he’s backing off his campaign promises to him elected. What a bunch of fools all of you were to vote for him. He has no intention of fulfilling his campaign promises. He just wants to play. So you best be deplorable you got fooled and you elected the biggest con man of them all.

17. Cindy Paulsen says:

About the electoral votes: the electoral vote represents each state by population.
    A good analogy for ppl to understand is well let’s compare it to base ball. Should we take away the world series from the cubs? If we take all 7 games and add up all the runs then they lost. It doesn’the work that way in a series ball game and it doesn’t work that way with electoral voting. YOU MUST WIN EACH GAME AND YOU MUST WIN EACH STATE

18. Matteo says:

He can say he’s for LGBT equality but appointing conservative right wing extremists to the Supreme Court we likely stifle progress for gays. He’s surrounded by homophobes starting with his vp and others like Dr Carson, a potential cabinet Mehmet who’s compared gay people to child molesters. The people around him won’t support equality legislation and think it should be legal to fire, evict or deny service to LGBT people for religious reasons. If conservatives had their way, restaurants and hotels could refuse to see VB e gays. Employers can fire gays (which is actually legal in 29states}. If you’re transgender,forget it. But the most dangerous to light people s the potential of anti gay Justices who’s be onntbevCourt for 30 years. I don’t know of 45 percent of Americans,including Bernie or Bust people, realize that.

19. Thank you Elect Mr.Trump,I really believe that you will Make American Great Again. I just wish that President Obama needs to address the American people to stop the Riots .It’s not a protest then people are not just walking the streets.

• Mary says:

A few unruly does not represent the whole group. The majority of these have been peaceful protest. Obama made a speech about coming together and that everything is going to be okay. It is obvious that many did not take comfort in that. I think Trump needs to man up and address them. He is the one through out his platform who demoralize and attacked these group of individuals. He needs to put his big boy pants on and take responsibility and prove that he is for ALL AMERICANS and not a select few.
      Ironic, look up Trump’s rant when Obama got re-elected, he called for just this for all citizens to take and march the streets in protest.

20. Joe Krainer says:

I thought President Elect Trump did a great job. I hope that he is given a fair chance by all Americans. We have many issues in our country today and we need to come together.

21. Garvin Nowell says:

Stahl was very rude to President Elect Trump. It was obvious that she would have liked to have HRC elected to the Presidentency instead of Trump way she talked to him. She showed no respect to the man or the office he is going to fill.

22. Rosa says:

He makes me proud to be an American again !
    I love his temperment & restrain, to give all the enemies information out to the midia & give them heads up !!
    Beautiful family, Loyal & encouraged by each other…
    WE WILL MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN
    #GOTRUMP
    #PRAY4TRUMP

23. Garvin Nowell says:

Stahl was very rude to President Elect Trump. It was obvious that she would have liked to have HRC elected to the Presidentency instead of Trump by the way she talked to him. She showed no respect to the man or the office he is going to fill.

• Mary says:

Amazing beyond words. I know you die hard supporters don’t believe anyone should ask the tough questions. Respect is earned and guess what he hasn’t earned it. I respect the office but not the man.

24. ndixit says:

He can say whatever he wants, but nothing is going to take away from the fact that he won this election based on hateful rhetoric. The problem is not what he will do. Republicans aren’t stupid. They know they can’t enact all those extreme right policies given that the majority of the country is smack dab in the middle. But what this election has done is given all those crazy extreme right folk to be openly racist and homophobic because their president showed the exact same characteristics when running for election. That’s the real issue that will grip the country and hopefully it doesn’t get out of hand.

• Tennisnsun says:

Agreed. I also have a huge concern over the examples he has shown and will continue to exhibit to all watching that his shouting rants, lies, cheating and bully tactics are now acceptable behavior. We became focused on the problems that bullying causes in schools during the last few years and now we choose one to run our country???

25. He owes taxes so therefore he needs to pay it back with his presidential salary

26. People need to chill out already. Yes he said some misogynistic and racist things that should be admonished, but it was the media and his opponents that replayed these terrible comments over and over again for our children to see. Think about if they had just stated that he was wrong to make these comments once and moved on. Then people wouldn’t have to be worried about what children think, etc. as it wouldn’t have been so prevalent in our mainstream culture.

That being said, he spent 10’s of millions of his own money to run for President and now isn’t even going to take the $400K salary. Regardless of how rich he is, that is still a good start and people should respect that. His focus is on making America successful (creating jobs, national security, reducing debt, getting rid of bad trade deals, etc.). He wants the BEST people for these jobs regardless of who they are (unlike many liberals who instead focus on equality over actual qualifications – must have 1 gay person, 1 black person, 1 Muslim person, etc.). He is way more liberal than most of his primary opponents so people should actually realize that it could be much worse (imagine Pence as President.) He’s not challenging marriage equality and it sounds like he is going to leave abortion up to the states as it currently is. He’s also keeping some of the parts of Obamacare that actually work. So chill out and give him a chance.

BTW, to any protesters out there – if you really care about these minorities, then go volunteer at organizations that support them and do something constructive versus destructive.

27. Kathie Howard says:

None of your 10 MOST SURPRISING… surprised me. I watched the interview. I thought he did a very good job. He was articulate, stayed on topic and wouldn’t let her pressure or trick him into saying something he didn’t want to say.
    I want to say that I have thought for a long time that Donald Trump is not the bafoon that the news people have always made him out to be. I always thought that he had a strategic reason for allowing himself to be portrayed that way. Now I understand that it was & is because he just didn’t/doesn’t care what the media says. He knows who & what he is & nothing that is said about him is going to change that.

• Morisot says:

Very early on in the campaign I saw Chuck Todd and a woman pundit laughing as they said that Donald Trump’s reply to the question about where he gets foreign-policy information from was “From you guys. The media.” They seemed to find it hysterical. And I was thinking, “Where do THEY think 99 percent OF US get our foreign policy information from!!!” We can’t call the Secretary of state or the White House or some General and get that information. And I’m lucky to get a polite intern on the phone or a nice form letter in reply when I try and communicate with my elected representatives! That’s when I really decided to vote for Donald Trump.

28. Paco says:

What a load of Malarkey!!!!!

29. VINCENT ROGERS says:

I liked what he had to say. I believe he will make a great President.

30. matraupach says:

I did not like the businessman Donald Trump!
    I did not like the presidential candidate Donald Trump!
    But
    The president-elect Donald Trump seems to be far more likable!
    There are still some concerns for example about climate change, but I am already sure that the USA really had selected the lesser of two evils!

31. wanda says:

Number 6 If he does not send her to jail, Then everyone elsa that breaks the law Should be set free also what is justice for her is also justice for everyone elsa The ones that break th law Then should have to g to jail, She did wrong and she needs to pay just like we do So if she is set free then the law is for everyone not any one who thinks they are above the law So if she free Then Donald should make it so everyone elsa is free Instead of us hang to go to jail and she not IT IS ONLY FAIR SHE PAYS LIKE EVERYONE, AND IF NOT THEN THERE SHOULD BE NO JAIL FOR ANYONE WHO BREAKS THE LAW, HE DONALD SAID HE GOING TO JAIL AND NOW HE BACKING OUT JUST NOT FAIR OTHERS TO PAY AND HER NOT

32. Bob says:

My god people will grasp to any straws left. She won the popular vote. woo hoo. Get over IT.

33. HWah says:

You seem to still be treating this as an entertainment story. Stop it. Stop it right now.

• Jj says:

Amen. This is literally the end of America and the trash who put him in office are dancing on its grave.

• Thomas says:

What a nasty, disgusting piece of trash you are.

• Brett says:

Couldn’t agree more–jj has been trolling on this page like his life depended on it–or maybe because his mom is shoving him out of the basement. The only “deplorable disgusting trash” I see is you–such a sad pathetic person.

34. cuius says:

Interesting – Clinton with a private and public face – Trump with with a pre- and post-election face

35. Cat says:

Either Donald has very weird ears or he looked like he was wearing an earpiece for the interview.

36. Stahl:are you going to build the wall?
    Trump: yes
    Stahl: some say it’s goign to be a fence
    Trump : some parts maybe, i don’t know……

37. Linda Binz says:

I have finally seen something I like. He’ll only accept a dollar a year in salary. Still NOT MY PRESIDENT!!!!

38. cccloc says:

^^
    Trump hasn’t been paying attention, but illegals with criminal records are already and have been deported for years.

^^ People forget that the Clintons and Trump were friends before this election. How would it look if he locked one of his best friends up? Besides, it would tear the country up. And besides, it would be impossible to prosecute and win a conviction.

“Trump signaled that he doesn’t want to continue that fight. ”
    ^^ His Evangelicals, who he courted the most, must be hot under the collar right now.

39. MMD says:

The only thing I can say is that this 10 point article was better than having to watch the show or actually listen. I don’t even live in the U.S. and I’m so beyond fed up with all politicians and elections.

40. Lisa says:

Stahl is an idiot, and certainly no journalist. She pressured him to give details on how he would defeat ISIS, claiming the American people want to know. Really? Fortunately, he said, “I’m not going to tell you that.” How stupid can she be?
    Somebody forgot to tell her that the campaign is over, and he is now President-elect! Stupid questions. I’m surprised she didn’t ask him his favorite color.

• Mary says:

Well the educated ones wants to know. We want to know if he is going to put us in a war where our children might be at risk, not to mention the Country. I guess you don’t believe in transparency you are willing to follow blind like a sheep. I would be careful on who you call a idiot. People who live in glass houses shouldn’t throw stones.

41. Preacher Book says:

Stop attacking minorities, he says, but then excuses it as built up by the press. Gawd, now he learns to dog whistle.

42. M. Bass says:

I also heard “term limits”. Isn’t that significant?

43. He took deductions he was legally allowed to take, just like you do when you file that 1040 long form and just like every other business-owner, Fortune 500 CEO, celebrity and reality star. It’s not his fault those deductions where there for the taking. Blame it on previous administrations who thought it would be a great idea to let the rich keep their money while they piled all the taxes on the rest of us poor slobs.

44. mckenna says:

hes NOT going to take gay marriage away he said its DONE already by the supreme courts can the gays please join us in our cause to take our country back now. They are doing their best in mainstream media to separate us we need to band together and not stand divided.

45. Rowan77 says:

This is all well and good, but as we’ve seen throughout the years, Trump routinely says whatever it takes to get what he wants, then changes his story or does whatever he wants regardless of promises or contracts. He breaks laws, is racist, sexist, anti-Semetic and Anti-Muslim. He’s currently up on fraud charges with a trial to start this month. So while now he’s being conciliatory, I am not going to take that as a sign of anything other than that he was told to be conciliatoryat this point. The real test is when someone puts him down or says or does something he doesn’t like and see if he’s going to be Presidential or be the bully on the playground we’ve all seen him be for the past 30 years.

46. A fan of TV says:

Mike Pence just wants to hurt the gay community, and everyone else who suffers, by dialling back HIV/AIDS treatment. He’s the establishment GOP politician already, exactly what none of the Bernie backers who voted against the establishment by voting for Trump actually planned for.

• Mary says:

Well that was naive or ignorant of them. If anyone did research on the candidates, both President and VP they would have known this would happen if elected. It is obvious they let there hatred for what happen to Bernie to cloud their judgement, now we all have to live with the consequences.

47. Cas says:

I just came to read the comments. Lol. But really do people think that he can fix all of our problems? I’m on board but I think people are setting themselves up to be disappointed.

48. George Goddard says:

Mr Trump, why don’t you give me your Salary and I will spend my time making people that I don’t know happy giving them money. Just think of peoples reaction on there faces. This would make for some good TV.

49. Mary says:

Wow your conspiracy rant shows how easily you are lead not to mention your lack of understanding about what the interview was about. Enjoy your own private world.

50. george says:

Trump won mainly because of Democrats picking a presidential candidate who is a liar cheat and a thief and is not even liked by Americans. Its their fault they lost and TRUMP won. Also the media helped TRUMP win even though they pasted him with whatever tools they could to make him look bad it backfired.