Arrow Best Worst Recruits

Arrow: Which New Recruits Are Hitting the Bull's-Eye? Which Are Off-Target?

Now that each of Team Arrow‘s new recruits has at least a few weeks under his/her belt, it’s time to take stock of who is hitting the mark and who is sailing wide.

For sure, the new team’s trajectory has been a bumpy one, saddled early on by Oliver’s lack of faith in the fresh faces he begrudgingly brought on. But in recent missions, there has been some coalescing — aided in part by Diggle’s return to the fold, and his helping Oliver shape the padawans.

Read our snapshot assessment of the recruits, then vote in the poll below for the ones you think are keepers.

Curtis Holt Arrow CurtisAKA Mr. Terrific
PRO:
Felicity’s former Palmer Tech colleague has proven himself to be an asset behind the computer, and he can… kind of hold his own in the field.
CON: The leap from Olympic athlete to vigilante has been a giant one, and his starting-from-scratch tutelage in hand-to-hand combat has barely been documented. Also, the team already has plenty of comedic relief in Felicity.

Rene Ramirez Arrow Wild DogAKA Wild Dog
PRO:
The scrappy street fighter has skills and guts, even if they sometimes lead him down the wrong road.
CON: Authority issues. Yes, Oliver’s a hardass, and it can suck to have to take orders from him, but he’s been doing this for years, so show the boss some respect, kid. Also: Ugh, that dopey hockey mask. Jason Voorhees scoffs in your general direction. Upgrade!

EvelynArrow Wild Dog Sharp AKA Artemis
PRO:
Now minus both Laurel and Thea, the team is in serious need of some girl power. Also, it’s been surprisingly interesting to witness Evelyn’s evolution from Season 4’s petulant Can’t-nary to a capable, conscientious fighter.
CON:
Established as just 17, the group’s youngest member sometimes acts too much like what she is: a teenager. (Seriously, why make her so young?)

Rory Regan Arrow RagmanAKA Ragman
PRO:
The Havenrock survivor is the most affable of Oliver’s newbies — seeing the Peter Parker-like Rory emerge from the ominous outfit never does not make us giggle — and his mystical rags possess some handy tricks. On the other hand…
CON: Doesn’t the magical, CGI- enhanced hero seem a better fit for The Flash or wherever the Hawkpeople went?

1. The Kaibosh says:

Where’s the “none of them” button? Because they all suck.

• h5n1 says:

was thinking the exact same thing… Now, if the question was phrased ‘Which of the new recruits suck the least?’ i could probably vote but as it is it needs a ‘None of them are keepers’ checkbox

• Gail says:

I was going to say the same thing!! Every week I say I’m going to stop watching it. the show just keeps getting worse and worse. they need to get back to the way it was in the beginning. And Oliver and Felicity need to get back together

• Journey55 says:

So do that which almost ruined the show? wtf, S3 and S4 were complete trash.

The show isnt back to S1-S2 levels yet but its finally enjoyable again.

• Mel says:

Nah, Oliver and Felicity together was never part of season 4’s problem,. They were great the first 7 episodes (8 if you count the Flash part of the crossover) but blowing them up over some manufactured drama and dragging it out so it loomed like a cloud all season long, that was the problem (well one of them) If they just had left them together, the Olicity would have been fine.

They do need to get them back together cause I don’t think Oliver will stop regressing til they do.

• kath says:

I thought the first part of season 4 was the best the show’s been. The Team was good, just the right amount of fighters (although I prefer three fighters to four) and the drama was about the season’s Big Bad. They ruined with the stupid soap opera Baby Mama Drama and Olicity break up.

This season has too many masks in the bunker, too many new characters I don’t care about, and it lacks the heart of the previous 4 seasons. The last thing I want is yet another new vigilante on the team and one who is Oliver’s love interest. Tried that twice before and failed, why repeat the past?

• lisa says:

I couldn’t agree with you more!!!! :)

• Patrick says:

i stopped watching it and just PVR all of them. and when/if I am bored, i MAY watch it. The storyline is so tired – Arrow and Felicity needs to get back.

• Sucksteam says:

yeah i agree with you guys,this new team is sucks and every week its getting borring and i hope this will be Arrow last season..

• sbrellah says:

Ditto to “none of them”! There are just too many extra and uninteresting characters taking over the normally awesome ArrowCave scenes.

2. datdudemurphy says:

Wild Dog is definitely the weakest link here….

3. bluji says:

I chose to vote for all four, but if I had to choose one, I’d pick Ragman. It’s excellent when the Arrowverse series “bleed” into one another in some way (small-scale crossovers instead of mega events are so fun!), and I would not consider it a bad thing that Rory offers something that reminds of The Flash with his rag powers. Still hope all the recruits will stick around!

4. PRK says:

Rory is my favorite. Just magically make him unmagical and keep him. Everyone else can go tbh Curtis and Evelyn are so unnecessary and Wild Dog is obnoxious and annoying.

This show really needs to stop bringing in masks. They’re not interesting because they aren’t unique.

5. M says:

I’m okay with all of them honestly. Ragman is more Flash-y, and it seems weird that he isn’t just the go-to-guy when there’s a difficult fight, seeing as he easily beat up Church in his first episode, and he can stop bullets with his rags. Probably not the best fit from a story-telling perspective. His whole point of existing was to explore Felicity’s guilt. Not sure if he’ll end up sticking around. Arrow is supposedly moving away from magic and powers, so him being around doesn’t seem to be following that, but I like him fine. Curtis they seem to be making him try too hard to be funny and awkward. They don’t need to make him a male version of Felicity. He can be his own thing. It’s weird. Rene I’m okay with. Can’t have everyone be the same follow-the-rules type of people. The mask is stupid but when you follow the comics it’s just how it is. Evelyn is fine. Maybe they made her a teenager and mentioned her age because when Thea joined the team she was young but apparently she’s an adult. No idea how old she’s supposed to be. And maybe making Evelyn young is to avoid people shipping her and Oliver. I’m okay with her too. The girl who plays her, Madison McLaughlin, she’s good, but she breathes so loud between speaking. Like when you hear a singer taking big breaths during a song. At this point I’m just being nitpicky. They’re all good. Keep them all, but I don’t think Rory will stick around.

6. Spencer says:

Curtis – I agree with you. The team already has plenty of comedic relief in Felicity, I don’t really get why they are trying to make him like a clown. Sure comedic relief sometimes is nice, but almost every single thing he says is supposed to be funny, and it’s really not. I don’t really get why he’s out there fighting too, he’s much better behind computers. But then again, we already have Felicity. In other words, I don’t hate him but don’t understand why this character exists. Plus – His hair, why give him braids? If you’re a superhero you don’t have much time to get ready before trying to stop criminals. And where the hell is his husband? I bet he wouldn’t be okay with him becoming a vigilante.

Wild Dog – Besides his behaviour issues I don’t have much to say yet. I believe there’s room for improvement.

Evelyn Sharp – I really really really wanted to like her, I am also in need for girl power. But so far she has only shown barely two facial expressions. I don’t feel anything with the her character, she’s the exact same thing since the first time she appeared on the show. I get it, she’s a teen and teens can be really annoying but she annoys me because she’s plain, flat.

Ragman – My favorite. I like the actor, I like the chemistry he has with the original team. I like he’s backstory. I hope they keep him.

• Spencer says:

Maybe the problem with Evelyn is the actress. The writers had no problem killing Katie’s C. Black Canary to do it over again because they weren’t enough skilled to save a badly written character, so why not kill this one and bring back Artemis some other time with a different actress?

• Laurie says:

The braids thing drives me insane. They need a moment where everyone is sitting around waiting for him to get ready.

7. Arrowfan3 says:

Honestly all Arrow really needs is OTA. And Thea. Curtis can stay but him in the field isn’t really working. Rory is sweet but the magic rags are too much. Evelyn is too young for the vigilante life with no super powers in such a dangerous city. And Wild Dog is too much of a hot head. And it’s just too many people on the team. Jut focus on OTA and the others can appear occasionally.

• M says:

I’ve been saying this since the premiere aired and I was sure it was gonna be a hot mess. For newbies, they have too much screen time. Instead of easing them into the storyline one by one, we have to focus on how much they mess up and how none of them are ready for the field. Roy was a nice addition back then because it was slow and it took lots of training and it felt earned. Meanwhile Diggle’s army plot was unecessary and insignificant, Thea is underused in the mayor’s office, Lance’s storyline is a rinse-repeat of season 3 and Felicity’s only storyline lasting more than 5 mins is the boyfriend.

8. Iz says:

Curtis is the most annoying character in the series. Every single sentence that comes out of his mouth is meant to be comedic relief and it feels so unauthentic. I liked him better in small doses every other episodes but now it feels like they’re trying way to hard with him. He can’t even throw a punch correctly. He is 6 feet 5 inches tall and yet acts like a child. He is the definition of a man child. Also, the T in his face is ridiculous and looks stupid.

9. M says:

I’d go with Ragman even though I wanted to like Artemis the most just because the show badly needs more women. Curtis is more believable working tech. Rene’s attitude is too cliche to enjoy. Artemis is a snooze fest so far and became an expert in archery in between episodes? Ragman is at least useful in the field even though I’m not thrilled about superpowers on Arrow. Plus he has a lovable personality.

10. Sarah says:

i could do without evelyn

11. Dominique says:

i like ragman the best, i just thoroughly enjoy seeing someone like him on the team, who might not exactly posess fighting skills, but can still hold his own. i like rene in terms of experience, but as stated; he’s got major authority issues, plus in the end, i don’t think he can be trusted to have their backs.
    i like evelyn and curtis, but curtis should just go back to being a tech partner, and evelyn.. well i don’t know she can stay cause they DO need some female power on that team.

12. Taylor says:

Can I choose “none of the above” because I find them all the be annoying…

13. Riley says:

KILL THEM ALL!!! I gave them 5 episodes but now I’m having to fast forward thru parts of Arrow and that sucks. Any time spent on these boring character is screen time away from Oliver, Felicity, Diggle, Thea and Quinton. I’ll watch the cross over and 100th episode but if Arrow doesn’t get better after that I might just stop watching live and see what the feedback is at the end of the season to decide if I’ll watch it. Watching live isn’t worth it at the moment.

14. Linda says:

None of the above.

15. Josh says:

I don’t get why we need a whole team. Artemis would have been cool, and wold fit the next stage of Green Arrow’s sidekicks(I guess) but why an entire team?

16. RobTO says:

I think the best version of these characters would legitimately be if Rene Ramirez was Ragman!

The actor portraying Ragman is pretty bland and Rene is annoying because he has no reason to be so dickish and distrusting of Oliver. Suddenly give Rene Rory Regan’s backstory and now he has more of a reason to act the way he does. Plus with his abilities as Ragman, now he has more of a reason to be questioning Oliver so much.

17. Tina says:

What the HELL is up with whatever that thing is that Curtis is trying to pass as a mask?? That desperately needs to be changed.

18. Ames says:

Put me down as another “NONE” vote

19. Tina s says:

Where’s the none of the above option? All of them are useless. Curtis is an insta superhero and he isn’t even that funny IMO.Wild dog is annoying. Evelyn pretty much just stands there. Ragman is little bit better as a character, but when you have someone with so much power in a show where the main hero uses a bow and arrow, it’s kind of ridiculous. They are one of the reasons I stopped watching the show.

20. Justine Grey says:

The only one I like so far is Ragman, but the magic rags has to go. It has no place on a show like Arrow like you said above.

21. Marianna says:

I can’t stand any of them. I thought back to basics would mean just that, OTA and Thea fighting together and Lance helping them out. I am not invested in any of these new characters even the reporter, Detective, new DA, New Tina chick. None of them. There is no screentime for the ones that started it all and Arrow has become a shell of its former self. Too many insta-vigilantis.

• RS says:

Yep.

It’s only going to get worse from what I heard so this show is off my DVR until someone tells me they’re changing their strategy.

22. Nick says:

I have two favorites Rory (Ragman) & Evelyn (Artemis). To all you haters out there back off! What their doing this year is great and personally I think that you just don’t like these characters because they’re not well-known actors like Colton or Katie and you’re probably still mad about Black Canary’s death! Move on!

• Sana says:

LMAO. Take your own advice,child.

• Mel says:

Neither Colton or Katie were that well known and I like one and hated the other, so that’s not the issue. I think the actor playing Rory is good and I have good will left over from last year for Curtis but the other two can go. I don’t mind Evelyn in principle but the actress is not great and Wild Dog is a one dimensional cartoon.

• Mary says:

I don’t give a crap if they’re as “famous” as Katie Cassidy or Colton Haynes, nor did I ever care about the characters these two were playing on the show, and I think the newbies’ screen time needs to be cut in half AT LEAST so that they can refocus on the original characters that I invested my time on for 4 years. But thanks for playing!

23. Dee says:

I like Ragman the best and honestly the magic rags don’t bother me at all. Curtis with the cornrows is silly cause we see him without them when he’s not in costume. So I know he’s not quite Mr.Terrific in action so I don’t know why they made his costume and facial mask so close to perfect

24. absherlock says:

What’s the point in making Curtis Mr. Terrific if he’s just going to be a common brawler? Would you do Batman without Batarangs or Captain America without his shield? Give him his T-Spheres and make him the in-field Felicity.

25. Jared says:

Not a big fan of the rookies but had to choose Rory. Something about Ragman is just cool and seems to be fitting in with the Team.

26. peterwdawson says:

Wild Dog’s annoying as hell, and Ragman’s managing to be better comic relief than Terrific. Artemis is alright.

27. kath says:

The only one I would keep is Ragman except magic doesn’t belong on this show.
    I’ll keep Curtis but only if he goes back to being the engineering geek and not Mr. Terrific.

And no more new vigilantes, please!

28. MorroccoMole says:

Like the characters in Dirty Dozen or The Magnificent Seven, some become favorites and some just die… For me, it’s too early to have any of the Arrow newbies bite the bullet. BUT, I expect one or more to sprout angel wings by May.

• skyebright8 says:

Mad dog hopefully, maybe Ragman and Artemis decide to leave the city and do their own superheroing in other cities and Thea comes back

29. Michael Summerset says:

The hockey mask is Casey Jones’ thing. He makes it work so much better. But on the upside, it does offer some face protection.

30. Whyme says:

Even though I consider them all a keeper, I think, they will kill off Wild Dog. He got the most screen time to make sure we get to know and care about him so it matters to us when he dies.

31. Prime Optimus says:

None, and I hope at some point they are released back into the wild or whatever spinoffs, movies, comics they are planned for and Arrow can get back to being its own show again. So sick and tired of Arrow getting appropriated by masks every season.

32. Until you add a “none of them” option, this poll is pointless. They ALL suck and need to go. (And take Felicity with them). The least sucky is probably Mr T, but that’s not saying much.

33. Robert Dassler says:

Just like last season with Black Canary, Diggle and Speedy, every single one of them turns the Green Arrow into a bystander in his own show. They all suck.

34. Carolina says:

Oliver please stay with Felicity, forever…only razon why I will be watching the show!!!

35. R.O.B. says:

There is no none button. I like Curtis but not as a vigilante, and his face-sticker-thing looks ridiculous. The other vigilantes are boring and unnecessary. I never thought I would say this but I like the flashbacks better than the present day this season.

36. None of the above.

We’ve had no character development and an avalanche of new characters. It is terrible. And I think they only exist for Oliver to be a jerk to and then fight with. Neither of which are good on anyone.

This totally regressed Oliver is obnoxious, and he doesn’t have any scenes softening him out. It is miserable to watch.

37. Ashley says:

I agree with what others have posted — none of the above. I liked Curtis last season, but they haven’t done the character justice this year. Maybe if they just had him and one other. Rory isn’t so bad, but they need another female. I just think Evelyn was miscast.

38. roi says:

I like Roy as character but not as ragman! I watched the show for Oliver, felicity, OTA and olicity! I watch fr all these I have invest and love in the previous years I need my arrow back Andi need asap! The newbies don’t tell me anything yet! The only they do is wasting time from my loved ones

39. Nan says:

Actually the whole season so far is not working for me. The whole dynamic is different and yes it takes a while with “new” people, “new” roles…just a Thea but for me there is no cohesiveness anymore and I don’t yet care about this new team and may never care.

40. ChrisGa says:

I’m enjoying Rory and Evelyn the most. Rene is alright. But Curtis? The worst. He was only mildly tolerable last season, and that was in a limited capacity.

41. Spikenalabama says:

I would like to vote for none of them but Rory is the least annoying. I like Curtis working in the “lab” with Felicity.

42. MADMIKE4000 says:

Of all the new members of the team I would keep Evelyn Sharp as Artemis & sent Wild Dog to Legends of Tomorrow Ragman to Flash or Constantine and for last Curtis to also Legends of Tomorrow

43. Luis Roman says:

“Arrow” writers have bitten off a great deal, introducing 4 new team members and evolving Green Arrow’s role to one of mentor, while establishing Oliver as Mayor, while still trying to include Thea and Diggle and Lance, while introducing not one, but two new villains, while still adhering to the flashbacks. It seems like “Arrow” writers also choose to bite off more than they can chew, in the hopes of pulling things together in the end. “The Flash” has been much tighter in terms of its exposition and introducing new characters; “Flash” is, of course, not saddled with flashbacks. I’m willing to give all the new recruits a chance to shake out – with the full expectation that at least one of them is going to fall victim to Prometheus before all is said and done.

44. Karen A says:

Actually, I just started watching about a month and 1/2 ago. Watched all the seasons on Nexflix and caught up with season 5. I hate Thea not being Speedy. Thank God Diggle is back! Don’t like Wild Dog – one guy with an attitude is enough (aka Oliver). Curtis was better as a tech guy, although no one will ever replace Felicity. Like Rags and Artemis. Felicity and Oliver NEED to get back together. And I HATE what transpired n the last episode.(no spoilers here) but I am very disappointed and kinda heartbroken. Miss Laurel, Sarah and Roy. I am like Oliver in that respect, I don’t like change.

45. Lola says:

I’m completely over Oliver’s rookie team? Talk about an annoying bunch of whiners. Every week someone has a different gripe and it’s unappealing quite frankly.

46. Mick says:

All of the recruits suck and have nothing new to offer. Artemis and Rory are insanely judgmental and arrogant. WildDog and Mr. Terrific are just annoying. Bring back Laurel and Roy! They interacted the best with Original Team Arrow. (Oliver, Dig, Felicity)

47. Lexi says:

I don’t mind Ragman. While I like Curtis, I preferred him as an auxiliary for the team. It’s like he’s stepping all over what Felicity used to do, and the one thing Arrow got right in the last couple of seasons was her competency.

Wild Dog needs to die painfully and horribly, so I can throw a party when he does. He’s sexist, a coward and a bully who crawls on his belly to men and can’t be bothered showing any woman enough respect to actually call her by name, even when they can kick his ass (aka Supergirl, TYVM) and/or have earned their stripes and ergo, respect on the team (aka Thea and Felicity.) He’s done neither. Despite his blowhardiness about how good he is, he’s the only moron who got captured AND managed to give up Oliver’s real name, and his specialty is getting thrown around and blustering. Bravo, brainless. Way to be a low calorie snack for a zombie.

Also, I never, EVER want to see him shirtless again. I threw up a little in my mouth when he was trying to do the Oliver-salmon-ladder bit. Ugrghhr….

48. Dean says:

Started watching this show a year or so ago because it was recommended by a friend. Binge watched the first 3 season and really loved it. Would come home form work and watch 3 to 4 episodes with ease. Then I started watching Season 4 and it took me quite awhile to get through the season. I won’t say I hated season 4 but it didn’t exactly keep me interested to the point where I could watch an episode or 2 every day. I came across this site because I wanted to find out what others thought of season 5 and If anyone shared my view that the show has become unwatchable. I won’t go on why I dislike it so much but I really can’t even say one positive thing about the season. Unless it really makes an improvement in the first few episodes after the break I am done watching this once great show that can now only be described as horrible.

• kath says:

I agree that this season has been the worst yet but it’s not a total loss. I like Rory, and there’s Thea relationship with Quentin. (If only they would actually give her something to do for herself.)

A big problem with Arrow is that they have seemed to reset everything this season. They wanted to appeal to comic books fans so Oliver is killing again this season and more masked characters are added. The problem is that after four years of growth, they can’t revert Oliver to show he was in season one. They have also reset the Oliver/Felicity relationship to before season one because Felicity is once again comic relief (until Billy died) and Oliver no longer has any connection with her, not even the shoulder touches of the early episodes. And Sara Diggle has been erase completely as has the emotional connection between Oliver, Diggle and Felicity seems to have been erased completely because Diggle is only connecting to Wild Dog now. And in spite of “this death will really stuck”, Laurel is on more than she was last season.

It’s been a mess since the ridiculous baby mam drama. I’m still holding out hope though.

49. Rick McKay says:

Curtis is an extremely annoying character that made me cringe as soon as I got a whiff of his becoming a regular on Arrow. I hadn’t heard of “Mr Terrific” before and having done my research I think the actor is clumsy and totally unsuited to the role. He’s enough to stop me watching Arrow.