The Passage Vampire Book Fox Drama Series Pilot

The Passage Vampire Book Trilogy Gets a Drama Pilot Order From Fox

Sink your teeth into this news, vampire fans: Fox is adapting the popular book trilogy The Passage into a drama series.

The network has ordered a pilot for a TV adaptation of Justin Cronin’s book series, per our sister site Deadline. Friday Night Lights writer Liz Heldens will pen the pilot, with Cloverfield‘s Matt Reeves attached to direct.

The 2010 novel The Passage, a New York Times bestseller, envisions a post-apocalyptic future where virus-infected vampires roam the earth, with human colonies banding together to survive. (That book was followed by 2012’s The Twelve and this year’s The City of Mirrors.) Fox bought the film rights to The Passage before it was even published, and a Twilight-like film series was planned for years, but now they’re opting to bring it to the small screen.

Vampires never go out of style, of course: HBO’s True Blood went off the air in 2014, but we still have The CW’s The Vampire Diaries and The Originals and FX’s The Strain currently sucking blood in primetime.

UPDATE: Fox made the pilot pick-up official on Jan. 26, 2017.

Is there room for another vampire drama on TV? Get out of your coffin and give us your take in the comments.

1. kate says:

I’ll echo the author’s position…they aren’t vampires!!! They are much scarier than that. I loved this series (and was crying like a baby at the end of it) I have read the first two multiple times, and well, I worry about this being on Fox. The first book, which honestly could take a couple of seasons to tell, one season would lead up to the Day of Zero. I would see the Peter portion of the story wanting whole new locations shots, I mean, the midwest and Colorado type places are fine for season one but, the colony is pretty clearly, to me at least, in Palm Springs. I do hope the casting directors really paid attention to, at very least, what Peter and Theo look like in the books. That and that they should make a vague effort at Alicia being a redhead, but I don’t think that is as important, but again, none of those roles probably need to be cast until a second season.

Oh, but my worry, is there are some things that happen in the second book that are absolutely horrible.

2. Laura says:

It peaks my interest as long as Julie Plec has nothing to with the writing!

3. BookGirl says:

Television is a MUCH better medium for this rich layered storytelling than movies, so I think I’m cautiously optimistic about this!

4. DL says:

Question for Dave Nemetz: Is this definitely being developed for the FOX Network? Or is there a chance it could end up on FX/FXX? I’m not familiar with the series, but based on the comments I hope they can go all out.

5. Amelia says:

This is my absolute favorite book series! So sad it’s over. So excited this will be tv rather than a movie. I was thinking maybe the Wolgast stuff would be a flash back.

And they are definitely scarier than vampires. I usually describe them as zombies meet vampires when I’m trying to get someone to read the book.

6. kmw says:

FOX will find a way to ruin this . It would be better off at FX

• Bartimeus says:

The Exorcist proves that wrong. If they’re willing to let it be as cable-like as possible within their limitations like that show, it could be great. And Fox does this genre better than any of the other nets, The CW does genre well but they’re more geared to younger adults and teens, ABC does soap/fantasy hybrids best. CBS ruins every genre show it touches and for some reason NBC genre efforts almost always disappoint in some way. On broadcast Fox is definitely the best choice.

7. AngelWasHere says:

Sounds like the Strain almost.

• libby says:

no it’s totally different than the Strain, really need to go read the first one, The Passage, you will see that immediately..

8. Art says:

Don’t bother Fox, I tried to read the first book. Got three quarters of the way through. The first section was really good. but then it went downhill fast. Tedious, slow, depressing etc. The character of Amy is really interesting until she turns into a vampire of sorts.

9. Disappointed_In_Shameless_EP says:

This is a terrible idea, literature is what the passage is, the whole trilogy – any tv network that isn’t subscriber based is going to dumb down the intellect of the story for the average tv viewer whose attention span can’t handle anything.

Hell FX ruined the strain, and that’s lightweight, but good, literature, I can’t imagine what sort of garbage they will turn this into

And if the author agreed to this, I’ve lost respect for his artistic integrity as well

10. Hmm says:

Sounds like Daybreakers: a virus turns most of the human population into vampires.

11. Bark Star says:

Twilight-like ? Seriously ? You obviously never read the books. Nothing would be further from the truth.

12. Karl Grant says:

Twilight-like? Seriously? This story couldn’t be more different to Twilight. Did the columnists read the books?

13. Pat Bridle says:

The Passage is more than the usual vampire story, it is more apocalyptic to me it has a bit of Alien, Jerico and the living dead. Yes there is always room for more movies of this ilk. If done well it will be a classic! The books are gripping and the characters believable.

14. Hmmm…not sure how I feel about this. This series is one of the best things I have ever read and it’s meaty and chunky, has a huge list of characters with overlapping story lines and many locations, and covers over a millennia of time. By no means is this an easy read. I have read each book twice, and I was considering a 3rd pass, but now I might just wait for the Fox series.

It’s really too bad that it has been reduced to a “Vampire series” because this is so much more than that. These creatures are everything BUT your typical vampire. It is a very unique story line and I don’t really have a good comparison to make against it, but if you ever watched Star Trek: the next generation and are familiar with Borg’s; then that would probably be the closest comparison. They are mindless killers that are part of a much larger collective that is the result of a viral experiment gone horribly wrong.

But they’re only a small portion of the series. the characters, our heroes, they are the stars and that’s where most of story will take place; with their struggles and trials and tribulations, and of course having to deal with these viral vampiric-like creatures.that really don’t show up until over 1/3 through the first novel.

If done correctly; this could be a great series, but it can also get long and drawn out and I think people would lose interest kind of like what’s happening with Walking Dead right now.

LOTR was done right and I loudly stated for years that those books should not and could not ever be made into a viable film series, but they were. Fingers crossed on this one.