Robert Vaughn Dead Man From UNCLE

Man From U.N.C.L.E.'s Robert Vaughn Dead at 83 After Brief Illness

Robert Vaughn, who played a slick spy on TV’s The Man From U.N.C.L.E., died Friday, our sister site Deadline reports. He was 83.

Vaughn had been ill with acute leukemia and died surrounded by his family. He is survived by his wife, Linda, and his children, Cassidy and Caitlin.

In addition to portraying U.N.C.L.E.‘s Napoleon Solo for four seasons (and in subsequent movies and a spinoff), Vaughn’s prolific small-screen career included stints on The A-Team, Murder She Wrote, Law & Order, Law & Order: SVU and the British soap opera Coronation Street.

In 1978, he won an Emmy for his work in the miniseries Washington: Behind Closed Doors.

NCIS’ David McCallum, who starred opposite Vaughn in The Man From U.N.C.L.E. as  Illya Kuryakin, said in a statement to TVLine, “I just heard the news, and I’m utterly devastated. Robert and I worked together for many years and losing him is like losing a part of me. My deepest sympathies go out to Linda and the Vaughn family.”

1. Kevin says:

He was great on The A-Team (one of my faves back in the ’80s). RIP Robert Vaughn

2. daviddavid says:

Loved this guy … terrific in Bullit as well with Steve McQueen; was always hoping for a reunion with McCallum on NCIS. RIP Mr. Vaughn

3. Jor says:

People seem to forget he was in one of the most classic westerns of all time the magnificent seven.

4. iHeart says:

oh man I have a friend who is obsessed with Man from U.N.C.L.E.

5. maregolden says:

I was a huge Man from U.N.C.L.E. fan. I, too, was hoping someday he would guest star on NCIS. Too bad. RIP Mr. Solo.

6. Brody77 says:

I’m broken hearted over this.
    So much great work.
    Shame the NCIS reunion never happened.

U.N.C.L.E., Magnificent Seven, Bullit, Hustle, Danger Theatre, Towering Inferno, The Protectors, Battle Beyond the Stars, Superman 3, Black Moon Rising, The A Team & countless other appearances.

A true gent

7. Pauline says:

Your link shows Red Remington, please put Robert Vaughan as the main picture for Facebook link.

8. Nero tTVFiddler says:

Wonderful actor and fine man who championed many causes during this lifetime, in and outside of Hollywood; he will be missed. Mr. Vaughn also starred in the television series The Protectors in the early 1970s, and went on to work in many miniseries during that decade including the one noted in this article (Washington: Behind Closed Doors), as well as Captains and Kings and Centennial.

One of television’s very best… RIP Mr. Vaughn.

9. Carole Smith says:

RIP, Robert Vaughn. Loved him.

10. peterwdawson says:

Dammit, I was just accepting Leonard Cohen! 2016 really is being a cruel gender-non-specific beast…

11. BillUSA says:

I grew up in the 1960’s watching TMFU religiously. Mr. Vaughn was always one of my favorite actors. Bless his soul. My condolences to his family.

12. tlsnyder42 says:

Wow, this is really short. No mention of THE MAGNIFICENT SEVEN or BULLITT!

13. Ivan says:

I still use the line he said in ‘Hustle’ when asked what he wanted to do with his money
    – ‘That the last cheque that I ever write, bounce’

14. Theresa Steward says:

Robert Vaughn was a great actor. Another part of my childhood is gone. RIP Robert

15. Cat says:

Loved him as Napoleon Solo in the Man From U.N.C.L.E. and most recently in Hustle (on BBC America 2004-2012) with Robert Glenister, Adrian Lester and Jaime Murray. Great in movies and TV…will be greatly missed. RIP Robert!

16. Cliff says:

Saddened .!! To hear the news that the world lost Robert … The Man From
    U.N.C.L.E…. I grew up with Napoleon solo.
    As a child I would never miss an episode.
    He was second only to Sean Connery
    ( James Bond ) as my favorite spy.
    I have every episode on DVD.
    I pray that he will Rest In Peace.
    God Bless.. televisions version of James Bond.!!!

17. Steven Austin says:

He was the last of “The Magnificent Seven”

18. MMD says:

Condolences to his family, friends and fans. Another artist gone during this horrific, brutal 2016. Rest in peace sir.

19. mary says:

He was absolutely great on Hustle. And was such a versatile actor. Rip dear sir.

20. How very sad. Came across as a real gent, as well as talented. Can’t believe you’ve omitted the six entire series as Albert Stroller in Hustle from his bio, though.

21. pauls says:

I loved his style and charisma.
    God bless him and his family,not to mention Mr Mc Callum

22. pauls says:

RIP DAVID GOD BLESS

23. toddx says:

He had such a quality about him, you just wanted to watch

24. Todd Maxwell says:

He had such a quality about him, you just wanted to watch

25. mooshki says:

My favorite actor of all time. I’m heartbroken.

26. anthony woolley says:

Night night Napoleon. X

27. Butch says:

One of Laura’s old boyfriends, Jim Darling, on an episode of The Dick Van Dyke Show.

28. Carlos Lee says:

RIP, Robert. I enjoyed your work on “the Magnificent Seven”, “A Team” and “Man from Uncle”.

29. keenen says:

Loved him in the Man from U.N.C.L.E and in Hustle. Was hoping for a Hustle revival or movie. He will be missed

30. Q says:

Am shocked, another childhood star gone. I still have my Man From U.N.C.L.E., card among my treasures. A true star and gentleman. Condolences to his family and fans. R.I.P.

31. Alex Meyer says:

R.I.P.

32. Paula says:

Always greatly enjoyed Mr. Vaughn’s work and was a diehard Man From Uncle fan. I, too, wanted to see him reunited with David McCallum someday. Mr. Vaughn certainly had a varied, prolific and much respected acting career. Will miss him.

33. Imzadi says:

No one has mentioned that he earned a Ph.D. in Communications and wrote a book, Only Victims: A Study of Show Business Blacklisting (which may have been his Ph.D. thesis). I loved him in The Man from U.N.C.L.E. and everything else he did. R.I.P. Robert.

34. ragnar51 says:

And another lost to the ages!! I can only echo what others here have said about NCIS, TMFU, Magnificent Seven. I also recently learned that Mr. Vaughn held a PhD, and if you search you will see hime on an old Firing Line episode discussing political topics with William F. Buckley!!

35. He is not resting in peace. He’s dead. His skin will be eaten by organisms inside him
    as will happen to us when we die. His skeleton will remain. All skeletons look alike to me.

36. Brad says:

Always brought class to any role he played.

37. I am emotionally crushed having learned the lovely Robert Vaughn has passed away. It is still so difficult to take in – I can’t even cry! He remains fondly thought of, and I miss him.

38. Ian G Mccarthy says:

Deepest sympathy to the family of Robert Vaughn he was a great actor