Gilmore Girls EPs Tease Revival's First Scene, Drop Final 4 Words Hint

ggAmy Sherman-Palladino took a number of precautions to ensure that her elusive final four Gilmore Girls words didn’t leak prior to the revival’s Nov. 25 Netflix release.

For starters, “We never put them down on paper,” she tells me in the above video. “If someone has a script with the last four words in them, they are not the last four words.” Additionally, when it came time to shoot the sequence — which arrives at the end of “Fall,” the climax of the four Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life installments — AS-P intimates that some decoy dialogue might’ve been put into play. “We shifted it around a lot, did a couple of rewrites,” she says with a laugh. “It was a little silly. It was a little cloak and dagger.”

It was also super emotional, particularly for Sherman-Palladino and her partner in crime, fellow EP Daniel Palladino, as well as stars Lauren Graham and Alexis Bledel (aka the duo tasked with actually delivering the hotly anticipated words). “For the four of us, it was very personal,” she says. “We talked about how we’re going to stage it and how it’s going to go.”

Amy and Dan go on to explain why it was “kind of a fluke” that they got to stick to their original plan with regard to those final words (hint: it involves a certain season whose number we dare not speaketh), while also lightly teasing the revival’s opening “Winter” scene.

Watch the latest snippet of my Team Palladino Q&A above, and then check back in the coming days for more from the duo as well as Lauren Graham, Alexis Bledel, and Scott Patterson as TVLine’s “18 Days of Gilmore” scoop countdown continues.

1. Marcie says:

I love the snow.

2. My guess at the four words: “Hey, mom. I’m pregnant.”

• Al Pancake says:

It’s been said previously that they aren’t said by just one person. That Lorelei and Rory split them up, as in two words each or something to that effect.

• MMD says:

Plus that wouldn’t work because it doesn’t appear that Emily is in the scene. If she was then it might work. Really good guess though and I can’t wait to find out actually what it is.

• B says:

I’ve thought for a while that one of them says “I’m pregnant,” and the other replies “Me too.” I’m not sure it will work now that so many years have passed, but we’all see!

3. Hot Dog O'Hoolahan says:

Season 7 of Gilmore Girls is way underrated.

• nom_sBOOKS says:

Agreed! To me season 6 was the issue, and season 7 merely had to deal with the fallout and turned it around really nice towards the end!

• nom_sBOOKS says:

Agreed! To me season 6 was the issue, and season 7 merely had to deal with the fallout and turned it around really nicely towards the end!

• Sammy says:

Totally agree!!
        I feel season 6 was bad. Only like one or two episodes in total.
        A-SP created an amazing show but as a person I find her intolerable and very conceited..
        She carries on like she is the bee’s knee but the cw showed her and she carries on like season 7 was crappy.. at least they got a good cameo with Christian amanpour..

• Jared S says:

I feel like the reason most people dislike season 7 is because Lorelai is with Christopher, but that only happened because ASP and company decided to have Lorelai sleep with Christopher in the season 6 finale. Also that whole thing with Luke and April is one of the worst storylines in the show. I don’t care that Luke had a daughter. That was fine. It was the fact that he basically hid her away from Lorelai and resented Lorelai whenever she even attempted to bond with April, which was the only time I even liked the kid. She was not the second coming of Rory like I believe they wanted her to be. (I hate when aging shows bring on precocious kids to liven things up or whatever) And don’t even get me started on Anna. That whole thing was a mess IMO.

• melissfitz says:

Completely agree with both comments above. Season 7 was doing all they could to save ASP’s lame decision to commit suicide with her show by introducing in a love child, and destroying Luke and Lorelai’s relationship. I am excited to see the revival, but it was ASP pride that kept this show from really playing out the way it was intended.

4. MMD says:

From the beginning since they said that both Lorelai and Rory were going to both be saying the infamous 4 words, I’ve said it’s going to be “Guess what, I’m pregnant”.

5. KK says:

“You and me………always.”

6. robin608 says:

The words will be “I do” Lorelai to Luke and Rory to Logan.

7. David Hambly says:

according to IMDB, dean only appears in one of the four episodes. i bet the people who bet on team dean wish they could get their money back.

8. KLB says:

“We’ll always be Gilmores”. Said after Lorelei has married Luke and Rory has married someone and Rory is parting from Luke’s diner for her honeymoon.

9. Anna says: