Supernatural Recap

Was Supernatural's Hitler Episode Just Right or All Kinds of Wrong?

Dean Winchester, you deserve more than just pie for killing Hitler.

I must confess, I went into Thursday’s Supernatural episode with some trepidation and a heavy heart in light of recent real world events. The Nazi necromancer-filled hour, which was crafted months ago, found itself playing out during a weird confluence of feelings on my part. (These are confusing times, OK?)

The CW series is hardly the first program to tackle a Nazi-related plot recently (see: Legends of Tomorrow, Timeless). But it went one step further and actually revived Hitler in the body of one of his necromancer followers (Bones‘ Gil Darnell, doing a fine job with a crazy role). Described as “a psychotic Richard Simmons” by co-showrunner Andrew Dabb, the show’s take on the Führer was classic Supernatural: twisted, comedic — maybe too much so — and slightly absurd.

Hitler took to his new surroundings and old friends like an overly energetic child high on sugar, flailing his arms with giddy excitement at every turn. And he really dug his new cell phone. “I sold 10 million copies of Mein Kampf. What do you think I can do with Twitter?!” he exclaimed. Too soon for that joke? Or was it unexpectedly, perfectly timed commentary?

Just when it seemed like the show’s take on Hitler was going to be all silly laughs while ignoring how horrible the man was, the Nazi leader ordered his underlings to feed his descendant — whose blood made his resurrection possible! — to the “doggies.” Thankfully, that’s when Dean and Sam arrived, leading a cowering Hitler to beg for his life.

“Heil this,” Dean said, before shooting the Führer in the head. And then he couldn’t shut up about what he did: “I killed Hitler. I think that entitles me to free drinks for the rest of my life. I’m gonna get T-shirts made.”

And then again, a few minutes later: “I killed Hitler. I think I deserve some pie.” You certainly do.

Supernatural fans, what did you think of the episode? Was it too jokey, or a nice distraction?

1. TexasGreatGrams says:

I liked the Supernatural episode very much

2. mklopez says:

A few times every season, Supernatural does those episodes are not really part of the main storyline of the season, but that everyone remembers years later (“trapped in a TV show!”, “high school musical” “The black-and-white one!”). I think tonight’s episode is one of those.

3. dave says:

That would have to be one of their very worst episodes. It misfired on every level. Was it supposed to be serious or terribly funny? It was neither. Easily top 5 worst shows they have produced. This season is really sucking thus far.

4. viola says:

Just right. :-)

5. Jim says:

It was cringe cringe cringe. Not because it was a bad episode. Just the timing. Very raw feelings, lots of anxiety.

6. Rasha says:

I love Supernatural, but I just couldn’t watch it. Worst timing of an episode in television history.

7. Cassiopeia says:

Unfortunately today was also the anniversary of the beginning of the persecution of Jews in Germany by the Nazi party. To make a jokey episode on top of the unfortunate timing in our curent events was pretty bad timinig.

8. It was so weird timing with the election and whatnot. The guys speech in the limo about now is the perfect time for Hilter’s return was just…erie.

9. Just Germans know well that Hitler is not for joke… Supernatural makes wrong when make jokes about it… For shows like that, is the main reason why people end electing by president future Hitlers… This episode was a real bad one for the time we are living…

10. kmelillo says:

Wake up everyone! The soul was in the watch. The watch goes in the body, new Hitler. What happens when the watch is recovered, and put in a new body? New Hitler.

11. shurakat says:

Loved the episode. I get that for some this is a sensitive topic but I think they did it just right. It was a nice distraction and I think will be one of my favorite episodes. Also I disagree with the comments about this season. I am enjoying it very much so far.

12. Lisa says:

LOVED IT!! It was perfect!!

13. sarah says:

The season so far has had it’s good spots but overall it feels lackluster. That’s probably because the show creator is too busy with his silly new show Timeless to pay attention to Supernatural. Booo eric kripke. Booo.

• Brooke says:

Kripke hasn’t involved with the show since season 5. He left and Sera Gamble took over, then Jeremy Carver, and now Andrew Dabb. He’s listed as creator only, but has not active role with the show.

14. orchardist says:

First viewing I was just not ready to laugh. Too soon.
    Second viewing, I appreciated the episode much more.

Humans seems to be the real monsters this season on Supernatural. Very timely.

15. Katie says:

Personally, I barely connected it to the election. Trump is evil personified, don’t get me wrong, just, for me, it felt more Hitler than Hitler!Trump. In any case, I didn’t like the episode at all. It wasn’t funny, it didn’t hit any emotional highs or lows. Kinda like the script writer got so caught up in their mythology about it that they forgot to let the guys have a conversation that was *not* about the case. Not to mention that I felt like Adam Rose’s guest apperance was sort of wasted. I*love* that character (any character that will use historical, mythological documents to roll blunts is aces in my book) but he didn’t do anything more interesting than provide info. Which I understand in a way because they couldn’t just bring the character in for no reason but I just felt like there was more they could have done with him, considering his general popularity. Also, can we add that chick and Aaron to the wish list for Wayward Daughters? I would like to see them both again.

16. Sonny says:

this episode was so bad, it was one of the badest i have ever seen. you ruinated the whole thule-story. it’s like, hittler would never akt like this idiot who played him, where is your seriousness and integrity to the work been done till this episode. you will have to put a whole lot of extra work in the following episodes if you do not want the show to be canceled. think about the fans you are letting down with such a performance. you have such a great base for this show and thats the best you make out of it? no fence to the actors you are just doing as you’ve been told, the people who told you to do so are these which are responisble for a episode like this especially the person who wrote this episode like i have just seen it.

17. Ann says:

I liked the episode except for the part where Hitler came alive and acted like a crazed Woody Woodpecker. From then on, things got too cartoonish for me.

18. Brooke says:

I wanted to like this ep but it was weird & forced. Not enough Aaron, Ellie fell flat, and Hitler was.. odd instead of scary. There were some funny moments with Dean and Sam (the ship in the antique store, the grenade launcher) but it wasn’t enough to save the ep for me. Next week looks great, though!

19. Carrie says:

Great episode. Very gutsy and quirky. I actually thought it was the best one so far this season.

20. I loved this episode, it was different then any other version and I liked Dean and Sam. It was great and I def will keep watching it

21. Joe says:

This show stars 2 white people. Why so racist?

• WENDY WESSELHOFT says:

So it’s racist just because the two stars are white? Really?
      I’m sorry but this is a stupid thing to say.
      As for those crying about how insensitive this episode was, the writers had no idea when they wrote this and when this was filmed how the election was gonna turn out.
      I can’t stand Trump and I thought this episode kinda sucked, but one had nothing to do with the other.

22. Tila says:

Grow up, children.

23. Heidi Gustafson says:

I found the episode to be weak (predictable, juvenile writing/plot & way too long fight scenes) and boring. Nazi Necromancers are not scary! This was their third trip to the Nazi well. The show could at least attempt to find some new material!! I did enjoy Deans fumbles in the antique store & his disappointment at not being allowed to use the grenade launcher, though! Jenson Ackles does comedy so well!

24. Claudia says:

My only problem with this episode was the way the music drowned out dialog like Dean’s line “Follow that car! I’ve always wanted to say that!” I wouldn’t have know what he said except I had captions on! The soundtrack should not overpower what is being said ever!

25. JScout says:

What damage can I do with Twitter, indeed.

26. TeamDean says:

Felt like a wasted big bad to be honest, it could have been a real bump in the road, like a Dick Roman character. I mean you can have Lucifer the one responsible for the worst things in our world run around, but a reincarnated Hitler is too risky for more than one episode? Come on Supernatural grow a pair and take a risk, Hitler running around again, in a country with Nuclear Weapons certainly sounds like an event that could rival the Armageddon Dean and Sam prevented. Could have gone on a whole Raiders of the Lost Ark and Last Crusade bit with Hitler tracking down supernatural objects for his world domination plan, that Dean and Sam have to stop, while Lucifer is on Ice.

27. that guy says:

You guys do know that the writers are Jewish right? Stop getting all over emotional