HTGAWM Frank Bonnie

HTGAWM's Charlie Weber on Frank's 'Desperation' to Get Back to Annalise

Just because How to Get Away With Murder‘s Frank Delfino has blood on his hands doesn’t mean he’s devoid of real feelings.

“From what we have seen — and what more we’ll see this season — the [tearful] vulnerability and desperation” that Frank has displayed in Season 3 is “totally genuine,” says Charlie Weber. With his character being frozen out of boss/mother figure Annalise’s life after she learned his actions had led to the car crash in which she lost her baby, “He’s completely, completely lost. He’s hurt, he’s scared, he’s in a situation he hasn’t faced in a really long time — if ever. He has everything to lose.”

TVLine caught up with Weber to preview tonight’s installment (10/9c on ABC), talk about Frank’s physical transformation and get any hints about whether it’s the once-bearded fixer who’s “under the sheet” in the show’s fire-night flash-forwards. (Frank, after all, is one of only three core characters, along with Connor and Nate, who haven’t been ruled out as being the man who failed to survive the inferno.)

HTGAWM Frank ShirtlessTVLINE | With his beard gone and his hair buzzed, Frank looks so different this season. Given that all the circumstances of his life have been completely flipped, has it been helpful to have that physical delineation?
It was absolutely vital. The physical manifestation of what a character is going through psychologically means a great deal to me. That is something I needed. [Creator] Pete Nowalk, as we were finishing Season 2, we discussed [shaving] Frank’s beard, and it was a no-brainer. But when I brought up the buzz cut, he wondered if that might be a little drastic, so I begged and I pleaded. And finally, he agreed. I felt it was so important to strip everything away metaphorically — and literally show you who this guy is when his back’s against the wall.

TVLINE | Frank’s got this roguish charm that sometimes makes you forget his bad acts — choking the life out of Lila Stangard. Killing Bonnie’s dad. Disposing of Rebecca’s body. A couple weeks back when we saw flashbacks of a young and scary Frank in jail, we got some real insight into his character. What was that like for you?
HTGAWM young frankIt was really intense — and I’m glad they brought back the flashbacks with Tom Verica. Sam Keating was so influential to the shaping of Frank and Bonnie — in some very negative ways, but in positive ones, too. In the beginning, Sam helped me find worth inside myself and got me out of jail. The jail thing wasn’t shocking — that idea had been kicked around a little bit — but the idea that Frank committed crimes inside jail so they’d keep him there, that was an interesting thing to delve into. I enjoyed it very much, but it was a very intense situation.

TVLINE | How would you rank Annalise, Bonnie and Laurel in terms of importance to Frank?
Annalise and Bonnie are his absolute family. He would do anything for Annalise, because he feels he owes her so much — and he does love her. Bonnie, he loves on a completely different level; she’s his ally in the house, and always has been. They are people who would never hurt each other intentionally. And Laurel is this idea of or an attempt at conventional, societal love — or what Frank thinks that is.

TVLINE | Frank’s fate is still unknown with only two episodes left until the “Under the Sheet” reveal. What can you tease about that moment? Is it going to be awful?
Awful is a great word. It’s devastating and sad — and it hurt to find out.

1. Frankie says:

Ohh my dont let Frank be the one under the sheet, plizzzzzz

2. Jax&Juice's Girl says:

Frank is my eye candy on this show!!!!!!! He better NOT DIE I will be pissed.

• Frankie says:

Me as well he is my weekday eye candy. I wonder if the person under the sheet is someone noone is expecting to be? Remember that when Frank murdered Lilla, noone was expecting he be the one doing it, it was like a surprise he was the one, People were saying other characters who may had done it, but noone even thought it was Frank at all. What if in this case is the same. It be a person who noone noone is expecting be the one under the sheet, that is what it be so shocking, devasdtating and sad and hurt to see.

I mean have you seen or read on social media or the internet any of the main cast, tweeting or hinting about leaving the show for any reason and look for other acting projects for the future?

Do you think the EP really want to let go any of the main cast just like that when this show is so successful at this very moment with a posibility of a renewal? I mean the showi without the keating 5 (all of them are friends and support each other and scheme each other) is no show and also Bonnie, and Frank are key characters, the only character that for me can be replaced easily is Nate. Another cop could arrive in town, besides Nate is not even longer with Annalise, he is banging the DA, he could be fired for that if the police force finds out

• Lea says:

But aren’t Nate and Connor more eye-candier if we’re talking about it? Nate with his God-like body and Connor oozing sex in every scene.

• Nika says:

Not m y type of guys. Connor is cute but he is like a nice cute guy. Frank is like macho man sexy hot!!

• jbj says:

I think the show has been good at casting attractive actors that meet a variety of tastes, who can also give their characters depths that enhance their attractiveness. Wes and Frank were my types from the get go, but everyone else has grown on me in varying degrees.

3. Eric7740 says:

I love me some Charlie Weber!!!! Please don’t let it be him!!!

4. MiaB says:

I’m so afraid it’s Connor under the sheet. That’s the only one that will really hurt the fans, and I think will ultimately hurt the show, too.

• Frankie says:

Possible because he is loved by the fans for his relationship with Olver and also beause he always been liek the only decent and nice man there. Hopefully is Nate cause I dont want Connor to be the one either.

So lets see 3 remaining characters, 2 remaining episodes.. This is really killing me!!!!

5. William says:

Frank needs to go. His character’s beyond redemption. The fact that he murdered an innocent pregnant girl, knew about Sam’s indiscretions, and played a role in Annalise’s stillbirth… That’s damage beyond repair. The thought of Annalise forgiving him is just ridiculous.

• David says:

Yeah it has to be Frank. But of course they never go with what’s obvious. And tell me do you think Wes really is betraying Annalise?

• herman1959 says:

I think Wes has a plan to get them all out of trouble with respect to Sam’s death – he’s probably learned a lot from Annalise.

6. herman1959 says:

None of the Keating 5 can die, so that eliminates Conner, and Nate is too fine to die, so that leaves Frank. I agree that Frank needs to go because he’s pure evil, I’ve NEVER liked him, and he’s been MIA for most of the season any way. Bye Frank.

• jj says:

Frank has been heavily features throughout the season. Nate is the one who has had no purpose this season.

• nika says:

If you meant that Nate is too fine to die just for his looks. Much of a reason for him to go. He had had no purpuse this season so far, unlike last season, but this season. What has he done that is so important? I mean. so far the only good thing he has done got info on how to find Frank at the beginning but other than that I just had seen he broke up with Annalise and then went to slept with the DA and then show off his body at every opportunity he can get. That is not a story for me. This season if u can take a closer look Nate hasnt done anything really important.

• nika says:

Frank had had been featured this season with a story, linked to Bonnie, Laurel, Wes, Annalise. What is Nate story this season other than sleeping with the DA, break up with Annalise, treated her like crap,and show off his body every chance he can get. Is that a story? I doubt it

7. nika says:

Does anyone know why this season had been shorter than the Season 1 and 2? S1 and 2 contain 15 episodes each, but this season will only be 9 episodes as next week is the final episode and tonites epis is ep 8. Why the network did not keep this season with 15 episodes like the other seasons?

8. shoeholic says:

i think Connor is under the sheet (so sad!). not sure why he was at the burning house, but i think he will end up dead as sort of a tragic hero, particularly since he and ollie have reunited. Plus, i think that’s why they are introducing a new character into the group, even though they don’t seem to care for him (Drake?). Someone has to replace (non sexually anyway) Connor so there is still a keating 5.

• nika says:

How do you know Connor was at the burning house? Did u see teh episode already?

• shoeholic says:

it was just a guess, but clearly not a correct one b/c he was getting busy w/ Ollie’s new man while the house was burning.
        I don’t think it’s Frank, but I think it is Nate.

• Tanya says:

im just praying its Nate.I mean it cant be Frank right esp where they left us this episode.I know people say Frank is unredeemable to Annalise.Guy might be evil but think Annalise still cares about him nomatter what she says.Does Nate constitute a main tho?my friend thinks if he dies it doesnt and laurel will die in hospital constituting the whole major character dying thing(i so dont want that,she s making me have horrible thoughts with a whole week to go)

9. Erin says:

I’ve been thinking it’s Frank’s body for a while now but I was guessing they’d throw us with is it Wes or Frank. Especially when the love triangle emerged. Now we know Wes is definitely not there I’m moreso leaning towards that ex Dexter lady from the college.

10. jessj says:

Guys its not Conner, didnt you see at the end of tonights episode? he was alive and well in bed with that guy Oliver went on dates with…He isnt under the sheet because they show Conner sleeping with that guy AFTER Oliver is asking Bonnie if its Conner under the sheets.

• jbj says:

Check the time stamps on the comments!

• jessj says:

Oh sorry! It early where I live so i thought this was the recap- I like to read the comments to see the guesses for next episode. My apologies if I spoiled it for anyone, I cant seem to delete my previous comment :(