President Obama Addresses Nation: 'We're All on One Team'

President Barack Obama on Wednesday attempted to bring together a deeply divided nation in the wake of POTUS-elect Donald Trump’s stunning victory over Hillary Clinton.

Speaking from the Rose Garden, Obama said he is is “rooting for [Trump’s] success in uniting and leading the country.” He added that, “Everybody is sad when their side loses an election. But the day after we have to remember we’re actually all on one team. This is an intramural scrimmage. We’re not Republicans first or Democrats first. We’re Americans.”

Obama confirmed that he spoke to Trump by phone earlier in the day and invited him to the White House on Thursday “to talk about making sure there is a successful transition of power between our presidencies.” He acknowledged that he and Trump “have some pretty significant differences,” before reminding the country that “eight years ago, President Bush and I had some pretty significant differences. But President Bush’s team could not have been more professional or gracious in making sure we had a smooth transition so that we could hit the ground running.”

Obama concluded by likening the job of President to a “relay run… you take the baton, you run your best race, and hopefully by the time you pass it off you’re a little further ahead.”

Obama’s address came on the heels of Clinton’s emotional concession speech, during which she called on her supporters to keep an “open mind” and give him the “the chance to lead.”

1. Temperance says:

Trust me when I say, we are NOT all on one team. I’ll never, ever, be on that team.

• AngelWasHere says:

I agree. We will never be unify. Those who voted for Trump don’t want us to be. I will never forgive them for this.

• Shannon says:

And this is our country’s problem in a nutshell…

• Mary says:

Maybe so but it is hard to be a team player when you might lose your personal rights and freedoms. It might not affect you personally but sorry other groups don’t see it that way. I accept the fact he won but I have no respect for him whatsoever. Were you a team player when Obama was elected? I know for a fact many weren’t.

• Shannon says:

I completely agree with you. I don’t wish for anyone to lose their personal rights or freedoms. And I didn’t vote for Trump, knowing what his presidency could mean for this country. However, we’ve gotten so far away from being the “United” States of America and I fear for our country because of that. I honestly don’t know what the answer is but the us vs them mentality never seems to turn out well, aka The Civil War. I’m going to miss Obama, his speeches always gave me hope for our future. :(

• datdudemurphy says:

Agreed.

• Mary says:

Agreed but I honestly don’t know the answer. I have a feeling it will get worse before it gets better. Maybe this is a wake up call to both sides but I don’t have much faith in that due to the Republicans having total control. Maybe the old prophecy is coming true, we
            don’t have to worry about WWIII America will destroy itself from within. I feel we are going backwards and not forward.

• Swear says:

That the key word “might”. He isn’t even in office and you are reacting this way. And remember what you did when Obama won the presidency. The shoe is on the other foot now. And you will have to point out the roiting and property damage done when was elected.

• Mary says:

Well let’s look at the facts. Republicans still are in the majority. They will be electing at least one SCJ if not more. The VP is on record for being anti-gay biggest bigot ever. The Republicans already stated they are going to try and overturn Roe vs Wade. They are going to stop funding for Planned Parenthood. I do not condone violence any shape or form and those protest held yesterday were peaceful except for a few in Ca. You cannot condemn a whole group for a few extremist. What did I do when Obama was elected, please inform me? My lack of respect for Trump is due to character and what he portray during the election and that will never change; however I will not like many who opposed Obama stoop so low during his 8 years, and yes Trump was one of them.
            Words have consequences so what you are saying Trump lied about everything he said during the election. He is not against a Women’s right to choice and they should be punished? He is not going to send Muslims out. He is not going to try and overturn Roe vs. Wade? etc. He might not be in office but if you follow the election many knows where he stands and they definitely know where the GOP stands.

• Collette says:

@Mary Planned Parenthood is unnecessary if people would use common sense. A month of birth control costs less that a few Red Bulls, a pizza or a good haircut. Who can’t afford that? I see women at the store with fancy nails ,a weave with extensions and beads and several little kids in tow paying for groceries with food stamp cards. Who do you think is getting scammed?

• Freddie says:

@Colette – Some day, you’ll realize that Planned Parenthood does way more that distribute condoms and provide safe abortions. If it was all they were doing, it would still be a valuable service to the community. But they also provide health checks, including cancer screening, to people who can’t afford to go anywhere else.

• Mary says:

@Collette your non factual assumptions proves your ignorance. Maybe do a little research you might actually learn something.

• Temperance says:

Yes, too many dim, ignorant, brainwashed people that make absolutely no sense whatsoever. Sorry, that’s a standard conservative meme to keep the sheeple in line. Nope. No more of your line. Ever.

2. sem sr says:

he not my president and any Trump supporters can go f–k yourself and lie and grab a woman’s crotch and call people names and then want to be one country he has said to much for me so with that said he can go f–k himself

3. Piers says:

I’m delighted the the Bush/Clinton dynasties are done. There was never any chance of an Obama dynasty. We needed a complete outsider to combat the beltway cronyism and; while Trump wouldn’t be my first choice I’ll take it.

• Temperance says:

That was the worst choice in the universe if that was what you wanted. And, BTW, the Bushes, Clintons, and possibly Obamas, are not over.

• Freddie says:

You do realize that, when asked who he would choose to replace Scalia on SCOTUS, he said his sister (who, it’s true, is a judge) would be the most qualified person for the job. If this was about fighting cronyism, picking Trump was jumping out of the frying pan directly in the fire.

4. A.K. says:

We’re not one team – not anymore, and that’s entirely the decision of the sentient being (I can’t call him a man) who became the president-elect of my country last night. I can accept being on the losing side of an election (the people I voted for in 2000 and 2004 didn’t in), but this sentient being has made it very clear that he views anyone who isn’t a straight white male as inferior and that’s not someone who’s capable of uniting anyone.

5. peterwdawson says:

Nice. Well, hopefully sheer optimism that the system won’t let people down will prevail.

6. :-) says:

POTUS was as poised and gracious as always. He’s asking people to give Trump the chance he was denied from the start. POTUS understands that by giving this chance many of the programs he tried to implement will pass (infrastructure bill) and Trump will get the credit yet Mr Obama is still advocating for the best options for America and her people. We shall miss the wonderful role model for our children

7. stacy says:

but you all want open borders…give away your jobs…free college that you know us taxpayers will flip the bill for…she is corrupt to the core!!!! I am GLAD he won! Team Trump all the way!

• Cat says:

You do realise his tax policy is to give people of his ilk reduced tax rates while the middle class get nothing.

• Freddie says:

Trump has never met a worker he has paid for his/her services. He has yet to meet an investor he hasn’t screwed out of their investment. Explain to me how being elected President will suddenly change his personality when it comes to middle America. The man thinks paying taxes is for suckers, for pete’s sake.

8. Kevin says:

Should Trump be a better POTUS than Obama in the next four years and would his reign of terror end until 2020?

9. kajar says:

I’m sorry, but I’m super angry right now – with the ‘man-who-would-be-king’ and those countrymen who, in a fit of mass insanity (or just plain unadulterated hatred), gave that vile, hate-spewing, clueless, dangerous, wannabe dictator the keys to our country. Already, there are plans in the works to once again try to legislate morality, to deprive many of our citizens (those in “certain areas” and of “certain populations”) of their basic civic and fundamental human rights, and to systematically deconstruct our democracy as we know it. So forgive me if I don’t feel like being gracious enough to sit down and sing Kumbaya with those who “claim to love America, but clearly hate Americans.” I refuse to be a player on that “team”.