Watch Hillary Clinton's Concession Speech: 'Our Nation Is More Deeply Divided Than We Thought'

On Wednesday morning, after losing the presidency to Republican candidate Donald Trump in one of the most acrimonious contests in recent history, Hillary Clinton observed, as many a TV pundit did while the votes got tallied, “We have seen that our nation is more deeply divided than we thought.

“But I still believe in America,” she continued, “and I always will.”

Acknowledging her congratulatory phone call to Trump late Tuesday night, she said, “I hope that he will be a successful president for all Americans,” later adding: “We owe him an open mind and the chance to lead.”

That said, she not-so-subtly put the President-Elect on notice, reminding that in addition to a “peaceful transfer of power,” the Constitution “enshrines… the rule of law.” “the principle that we are all equal in rights and dignity” and “freedom of worship and expression. We respect and cherish these values… and we must defend them. The American Dream is big enough for everyone.”

To her supporters, Clinton said, “You represent the best of America, and being your candidate has been one of the greatest honors of my life…. This is not the outcome we wanted or worked so hard for, but I feel pride and gratitude for this wonderful campaign that we built together.”

“I know how disappointed you feel, because I feel it too…,” Clinton said, visibly affected by the hard-fought fight lost. “This is painful, and it will be for a long time, but I want you to remember this:  Our campaign was never about one person or even one election. It was about … building an America that is hopeful and inclusive and big-hearted.”

“To all the little girls who are watching,” Clinton gave this charge: “Never doubt you are valuable and powerful and deserving of every chance to pursue your own dreams.” While to President Barack Obama and First Lady Michelle Obama, she said, “Our country owes you an enormous debt of gratitude. We thank you for your graceful, determined leadership that has meant so much to so many Americans and people across the world.”

//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js

For Clinton, the speech capped a bid for the nation’s top post that began when she unsuccessfully vied for the Democratic nomination in 2008.

VP nominee Tim Kaine set the stage for Clinton’s Wednesday speech, expressing his pride in his running mate as “a history-maker in everything she has done.” He also noted that Clinton won the popular vote — “an amazing accomplishment” — while losing in the all-important Electoral College Votes.

Watch video of Clinton’s speech above and let us know all your feelings about how the 2016 turned out.

1. Kevin says:

Don’t cry for us Hillary Clinton :-(

2. I’ve been crying on and off since last night and now I can’t stop again. She should have been our president.

• Jacob says:

No she should be in prison

• Annie Sisk says:

Yes she should. Hate won yesterday. It won’t win permanently – it cannot – but it’s a deep wound. This election has weakened our country, lowered our standing, and threatens its very existence. We’re now living in a post-apocalyptic dystopian YA novel – this is Day One – and we have to find a way to survive, protect those we love, and take control back from the fascists. And we will. But today, we mourn.

• Valerie Munier says:

Why do left supporters most often say “we”. I’m not mourning. I don’t hate anyone but because I voted for Trump I’m part of the hate you speak of. I believe, and I’m allowed my opinion, this election has weakened our country and I’m not feeling threatened. I’m, me personally, feeling hopeful and renewed and even happy and since you don’t know me, you wouldn’t understand why that’s pretty amazing at this moment in time. Please quit including me in your we and respect my choice, I live in America and that allows me my freedom of choice. I respect your vote for Hilary, I don’t understand it and frankly I don’t need to.

• Mary says:

You don’t know her either so we speaks for the ones who stand to lose quite a bit with his presidency. It might not affect you personally so it is hard for you to comprehend but others have empathy for the LGBT community, immigrants, muslims, blacks and quite frankly Women rights to choose. I hope you feel hopeful and renewed when you come to the realization that he isn’t your savior. This Country is a democracy so many do respect your choice but like you don’t understand it and frankly don’t care to. But I for one will never Respect that man as a President. He is represents everything I taught my children not to be.

• Geo says:

Perfectly said. Thank you, Mary!

• Collette says:

Not a democracy. Take a civics class.

• grazelled says:

While I didn’t vote for Trump, in all fairness he’s against illegal immigrants not legal ones. As a legal one from South America it frustrates me that all immigrants are lumped into the same category.

• Lucifer says:

Hillary is just as bad, but you all stuck your heads in the sand and claim all her shortcomings are due to “conservative conspiracy theories” and “sexism.”

• doggeatdogg says:

Actually Trump is a better friend of the LGBT community that Hillary. He is for US constitutional law that protects people of their sexual orientation, versus certain people so loved by Hillary that want laws which would facilitate killing them just for who they are. He is not against immigration. He is against illegal and unabated immigration. If you are not in agreement to that, then go live in the Arizona and Texas town and report on that. He did not run on a platform that would change abortion rights, so get a clue, you retain your rights to that. And you have the right to think of him as you please, just like people have thought of all previous presidents as they please.

• sigforum says:

OH PLEASE: “…others have empathy for the LGBT community, immigrants, muslims, blacks and quite frankly Women rights to choose.” Michelle Obama strikes again! :)

• Patrick says:

If you voted for Trump, you voted with the KKK. You can split hairs all you want, but you voted with the KKK. That is hate. They are hate. You can say (no one believes you BTW) that hate isn’t why YOU voted, but you are the company you keep. And you keep company with the KKK.

• Gary says:

Sorry, but people today have no clue what the KKK is or was. I don’t see the white community up in arms causing the riots in Portland, Oakland, or other places. Burning and destroying personal property. The KKK were the ones who did this with the burning of churches, the burning of crosses, and the awful things they did to the black community. Please open a history book and look at the difference of the KKK, and people who want America for Americans and have a nationalist view instead of a global view. That is what most people voted on.

The Southern Poverty Law Center estimates that there are 190 active KKK groups with between 5,000 and 8,000 Klan members in the U.S. Southern Poverty Law Center.

You’re comparing 50,000,000 people to 5-8,000.

• martyrantz says:

I voted against the corrupt Clintons, the manipulative, liberally biased media, and elitist/arrogant attitudes like yours. I did not vote KKK, so stop with the nonsense. I don’t approve of the KKK now and never have, but I do know they have supported many candidates over the years from numerous parties. You must have forgotten the long relationship between the Ku Klux Klan and the Democratic party; the Klan was started by the Democrats. But even if I voted for Trump to support the KKK, they do not advocate for and demand public funding for the abortion of living, unborn children and the selling of their body parts like Hillary and the rest of the morally bankrupt and primary election stealing DNC does. The party that stands for the dignity and sanctity of marriage and life won. The devil hates both, so be careful of who’s company you keep.

And about the hate: I watched the live-feed Youtube videos of Democrat rioters last night with all their “F@$% Trump!” signs and violence. Seven thousand were demonstrating, saying Trump was not their president and he must go. How pray tell? Some set fires, a police car was vandalized and one officer was injured. Is that not the company you also keep?

• Bunsonhoneydew2013 says:

There is a rule in debating. When you run out of good points, call the other side a Nazi. It works for the KKK too. By invoking the KKK you are admitting that you lost your debate and switched to irrational name calling.

• Patrick says:

Perfect statement.

• Patrick says:

My above comment was in reference to Annie Sisk, not my own far from perfect comment.

• Annie Sisk says:

Thank you, Patrick. It’s appalling to see so many defend this indefensible man, and it’s truly a sad, sad day for this country.

• sigforum says:

NO NEED to MOURN! What we MUST DO is MONITOR DONALD J TRUMP and be certain he is NOT the liar Bill Clinton and Barack Obama became after winning!

• Drew says:

To quote your leader, “Wrong.” Every investigation has merited no findings deserving of criminal charges against her. You would want to squander your victory by being petty and opening more investigations? How does that help America? There’s something wrong with those who think like that.

• Drew says:

Please delete this comment above from me. It was intended as reply to another another poster.

• Lucifer says:

Plenty of people also believe, despite no evidence of wrongdoing found, George Zimmerman and Darren Wilson are guilty. If the system is rigged to allow average joe’s to get off scot-free, why not one of the richest and most connected politicians in America?

• martyrantz says:

Can you honestly say that the activities of the Clintons with their Global Initiative fund and its connection to the State Department does not bother you? No thorough investigation has been done, although the FBI has begun one. If you are willing to watch CLINTON CASH OFFICIAL DOCUMENTARY MOVIE, now free online, you will change your tune and perhaps even thank the recent change in direction a Trump election brought. I would very much like to read your thoughts about it.

• Mary says:

Well if it was produce by a trust worthy source you might actually have a point. Unlike others many believe one is innocent until proven otherwise. If and when the FBI has concrete evidence then maybe we will talk.

• martyrantz says:

Do you mean a “trustworthy source” like CNN, CBS, NBC, ABC??… all of whom have proven not only their bias in this election, but their willingness to collude with one party candidate to defeat another. Would you trust a hollywood documentary? As far as the FBI, Comey admitted Clinton lied and did actually send and receive classified email from an unauthorized private server, shared access to people without proper security clearances, destroyed evidence after getting a congressional subpoena — all of which violate numerous laws and federal codes — but because of politics, nothing happened.

• martyrantz says:

Check out the NY Times article Cash Flowed to Clinton Foundation Amid Russian Uranium Deal

• sigforum says:

NOT unbelievable that Donald J Trump scammed the votes! The ELECTORAL COLLEGE is outdated and I BET it will be gone inside of FIVE YEARS! Glad it is NOT this year or WE would LOSE TRUMP and his “most excellent” ideas! DO US RIGHT DONALD!

• sigforum says:

PLEASE KLUTZY………….. you are off your meds again, huh? Get back on track girl; the BEST CANDIDATE WON! I HOPE! :)

3. Jacob says:

Next stop prison . # Lock her up

• Drew says:

4. wrstlgirl says:

Okay so admittedly I’m stupid when it comes to fully understanding this stuff but can we tell if all those people who came out and said they weren’t voting for either Trump or Hillary had an affect on this outcome?

• Robin says:

I’m hoping they can look at the ballots and study info like that. I know people who wrote in someone or voted for all the other races and left the President’s race blank. It still boggles the mind that out of all the millions of people in the United States, we can down to those two people. I didn’t like either one of them, but felt Clinton at least had experience for the job.

I need a hug… and maybe a prescription for prozac.

• Derision says:

We didn’t come “down to those two people”. All ballots included at least three options for president and in some states ten (Louisana) or twenty four (Colorado).

• Mary says:

No it shows that Trump supporters are the uneducated, I will rephrase, non college students who live in rural communities who cannot get a good job. That and the hate for the establishment drove these people out.

• Collette says:

Wrong again, Mary. I have degrees in English and history, am a Mensa member, world traveler and comfortably solvent. I voted for Trump.

• Mary says:

Okay miss know it all look at the break down of the votes last night and you will see that my statement is not wrong. Yes there are a few exceptions to the fact but that doesn’t make my statement incorrect. Good for you on voting for him.

• Gary says:

Did it ever occur to you as well, the the uneducated includes millions of men and women who serve in the armed forces to protect this country? They are counted in the uneducated, but I tell you what, they learn more in the military in 4 years than most college graduates do today, and yet you call them uneducated?

• Mary says:

Wow did you not see where I rephrase it to non college. Gee talk about reading comprehension problems.

• Gary says:

Wow, did you also see where you said that they live in rural communities and cannot get a good job? I’d say the military is a good job today. In fact, considering that 60 million people voted for the man I would venture to guess that if you look at their numbers, at least 75% of them would have some college or military experience. Because lets face in today’s day in age, anyone can get a degree, but that don’t mean they are educated.

I understand you still need to vent a little… Go head, let it out, have a good cry. Then get back to work with that college degree in hand, making all that money you make. The world will go on… As it did 4 years ago, as it did 8 years ago, as it has done for the past 240 years, and will continue to do so.

• Sarah says:

That thought process is what keeps people from understand how this election decision really came about. People say “uneducated and unemployed” and mean lazy and stupid, and while there are certainly some people who fall in this category, there are more who are too poor to afford college and suffered further from things like outsourcing. Corporate Globalism caused Brexit and it caused this hate for the establishment. Is Trump a great choice? No. But let’s be honest, there are no good choices any more. A politician is expected to be corrupt now. So people are choosing who and what will upset the system. Maybe that upset is for the worst for the world but it’s not much worse for those who can already barely afford to put food on the table or keep a roof over their heads.

• Janna says:

Well, educated Mary. Please tell only 3 good things, for us uneducated 160 millions people who voted for Trump, what is your “great president Obama” done to help for our economy to grow and for millions and millions American people to give them jobs and secure life for his last 8 presidential years. And tell us 3 good things what Mrs. Clinton to offer for us American people to produce more sevices ( because as educated person you Mary must to know, without services no country). What she offer for us and you to make sure we will be feel safe and sleep well. What she offer for us, for a working class people, who been working all they live and never sock from the goverment. Please educade us Mary.

5. Paul says:

Thank God and Greyhound she’s gone. Only two more months to put up with the current POTUS. Then a new broom sweeps clean.

6. Drew says:

Our country lost out last night. Just listen to the way she spoke in her concession speech, that is how she would have worked across the aisle as president. I’m not convinced a President Trump will even pretend to be a l e wider of all Americans. Based on his speeches, there are too many people here who he thinks don’t belong. How can he bring us together? This will be a long 4 years. My only hope is for a turnover in Congress in 2 years..,

• Drew says:

*pretend to be a leader of all Americans

• Annie Sisk says:

Yep. It’s obvious to everyone but those who allowed themselves to be convinced by the lies and the hatred. Sure feels good, when you’re down and out, to make the Other the real loser and thus elevate your own standing by inches. It’s a temporary salve, though, folks. It won’t last. It won’t do a thing to truly improve your situation – nor will he, by the way, and he’s laughing like heck at you for thinking so – and it’s not going to help the country.

7. Piers says:

Was all of that purple clothing supposed to signify unity between red and blue states?

8. dave says:

Such a shame that there is no sensitivity towards others.

9. Eric7740 says:

BYE FELICIA!!!

10. Terri Matz says:

Ok so the liebral didn’t win. Thank heavens

11. Ron Kieser says:

The Walking Dead and its not even Sunday Yet.

12. Hillary would have been an amazing president and a wonderful role model, respected around the world. I think our country was taken in by the long – long – long Republican strategy of telling lies about her for their own political gain. This woman has done so much for America in her 40 years of service. She shall be remembered and celebrated for generations to come and I am grateful to her and so sad for America.

13. Judiwb says:

Very sad day in America. Trump should be in prison. Hope the next 4 years goes by quickly.

14. AngelWasHere says:

I’m still horrified. I bet Bernie would have won, but who knows now. I’m just at a lost for words…

• Patrick says:

If you think HRC the moderate couldn’t win, then the Bern would have gotten hammered. Nonwhites weren’t turning out for him even in the numbers they did HRC. He and Drumph would have been fighting it out over the same angry white dudes.

• Andrea says:

In a Bernie-Trump election, yes I think Bernie would have won.

• Mary says:

I don’t think so unless many voted party only. He was to far left. Some might have chose him due to Trumps lack of character but I think this election was more about anti
          government than anything else.

15. TVFan says:

So, the country had the option to vote for someone who fought for women’s rights all of her adult life. Instead, they voted for someone who violates women’s bodies any chance he gets. The fact that he admitted to groping women and walking into a women’s dressing room full of undressed or half-dressed women and NO ONE CARED. He will never be the President for all Americans. On numerous occassions, he stated his disdain for women, minorities, anyone who believes in any religion, and anyone with a disability. He will be the President for the Trump Organization/family first and foremost. Everyone else can just get out of his way.

• Collette says:

Her husband wrote the book on violating women’s rights including hers. Talk to the mothers of his three illegitimate kids. She vilified those women and the ones he had relations with that didn’t result in pregnancies.

16. S. D. Reed says:

You have inspired us, you have given us hope, you have given us value, you have included us and reminded us of our worth. Thank you Hillary for your hard fought campaign. We will never, ever forget you!

17. Paula says:

I am heartbroken and in total despair. Had little comprehension of just how racist, sexist and morally corrupt so many Americans apparently are. The last 8 years under President Obama’s leadership was so uplifting and encouraging and brought about worldwide respect. I am a senior citizen (female and single) now faced with an even more uncertain future due to these horrendous election results. As I watched ABC’s news coverage all last evening and until near daybreak I was struck by how shocked, disturbed and at a loss for words most of their anchors and correspondents were as the results were tallied. I finally turned off coverage when it was announced ‘That Perverted Man’, his dense wife and other obnoxious family members were coming out to gloat about winning. My tv set has been off all day because I am literally sick to my stomach. I have lost all hope in this country knowing that it is comprised of so many deplorable people who are gleefully contributing to its’ destruction. WTH America? May God have mercy on all our souls!

18. Charissa29 says:

What a classy woman, Secretary Clinton is. She was gracious, generous, and wholly admirable. What a great president she would have been.

19. Mary says:

This Woman showed great class in her speech. We all know that would not of been the case if the situation was reverse.

20. badgerly says:

The US now has a pig in the White House, not to mention an uncontrollable loose cannon, with no clue how to lead a country. For such foolishness, you deserve him. It’s too bad it impacts the rest of the world. I can just see him his first day in the Oval Office, twiddling his thumbs. lol

21. Jacob says:

Painful is listening to you speak . # Hillary for prison 😎

22. Michael Summerset says:

It’s not so much division as California and Washington ignoring the heartland of America.

23. Claire says:

I hope, as Hillary said, that Trump is given the chance to lead – and that he realizes how hard he’ll have to work to prove himself.
    As a child of a military veteran, I was raised with the belief that everyone who has the right to vote should, and that the outcome of an election should be respected as the voice of the people. Trump may not be the president I thought we’d have, but he is our president elect, and I want to believe that he represents the voice of people who are also searching to better our country. I hope that we can all come together, even if this loss hurts.

• Mike M says:

As someone overseas, I just want to say thank you. All we read about and see is the utter and absolute division in America. It seems at times there will be nobody happy in the US unless there is another civil war so each side can truly attack each other and cause maximum damage, then look back and realize how utterly futile it all was. Only when people move forward without hate and anger can anything positive ever be achieved. There is a whole world outside of the USA. In many decades past we have looked to your country to lead and support the less fortunate. Right now regardless of who had won yesterday it truly comes across that you’ve made yourselves the less fortunate, just because you refuse to put aside your differences and believe in the good of each other. The U in USA is supposed to stand for United. Without it you are all just States of America. And some really awful states some of you have now gotten yourselves into. It is heartwarming to read at least one post that shows that the real sentiment that we all hope exists in your country is not totally dead.

24. LJ says:

OMG we have an idiot for President now who’s going to build the “Great Wall of China” hahahahahaha!!!!!!!!

25. Leanne says:

the reason we vote. trump was best candidate. Does anyone remember Watergate? Hilary gets excused? Guess she is above the law. anyway we need to unite as a nation. Not democrats, republicans, independent but as a NATION. We are resilient. Trump won popularity too according to our paper and Obama 4 years ago DID NOT. Lets all work together for this great nation of ours.

26. claudias dube says:

as a young zambian politician I ve learnt alot from her the determination.she is a strong woman one in a billion

27. doggeatdogg says:

That division did not start with Trump but it sure got worse over the last 8 years when it could have been abated by the people at the top. Instead, they encouraged it. While some say hate won, I say change won. We were on the wrong track and she was not going to change direction. She partly blames Obama for her loss and she is right. Her run should have never been advertised as his third presidency. We are in a $20 trillion debt. Healthcare is in shambles. If Trump can improve our economy, restructure national healthcare, restructure trade deals where the US is not getting shafted, then everyone wins and the people who don’t mean our nation well, including the domestic tantrum makers, also win.

28. jr says:

Lock Her up

29. sigforum says:

WE as a country NEED a DONALD J TRUMP to pull us OUT OF the nosedive the Dems and company have sent our NATION!

I PRAY that TRUMP is NOT a scam artist and he WILL send us on level course!