Gilmore Girls: Team Palladino Explains Why [Spoiler] Is Missing From Revival

tvline_gilmorecountdown_16The Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life call sheet is longer than the list of Emily’s fired housekeepers, but there are a handful of alums who will be absent from the Netflix revival. Among the MIA vets: Wayne Wilcox’s Rory-crushing Marty.

But exec producers Amy Sherman-Palladino and Daniel Palladino (who wrote and directed all four installments, out Nov. 25) maintain that they very much wanted Wilcox’s fan favorite character to make the trip back to Stars Hollow.

rory-marty-1“We absolutely tried,” Amy tells me in the following video Q&A. “[But] organically it just didn’t fit in. We love Wayne.” Daniel, meanwhile, explains that had they been able to lengthen each of the 90-minute chapters to two hours apiece, Marty would’ve surely made the cut.

“In true Palladino fashion, we broke out the six hours of story [and] we had about eight hours of story,” he notes. “So we had to rearrange things just to fit the format. Because we didn’t want to… tax the limits of people’s patience. We would’ve done a much bigger story.”

Press PLAY below to watch my Marty-centric exchange with Team Palladino. And then check back in the coming days for more from Amy and Dan — as well as Lauren Graham and Alexis Bledel and Scott Patterson — as TVLine’s “18 Days of Gilmore” scoop countdown continues.

1. Piers says:

I was hoping for TJ & Liz but haven’t seen any mention of them.

2. JamesC says:

God no, only thing worse than April is TJ and Liz

3. Jennifer says:

Maybe, just maybe … they’ll be more? Pretty please?

4. Cas says:

He was a fan favorite? I thought he was awful.

5. Eran says:

Not trolling here, honest, but I strained my mind for two minutes trying to remembering who that even was and came up with nothing, so…yeah. I think I’m okay with this omission.

6. Jason says:

She doesn’t have to worry about taxing people’s patience. Each episode could be four hours long and I’d eat it up with relish.

• David says:

Agreed. But typical Amy fashion contradicting herself.. She didn’t want to make the episodes longer “taxing our patience” yet didn’t want Netflix to release all 4 episodes at once, wanting us to have to wait at least weeks between installments (and I’m sure she wanted it released in their seasons making the wait even longer). Won’t miss Marty but I’m so excited for 11/25.

7. Sandy says:

I’m curious about Gigi. No mention of her, yet Christopher is there of course. Where’s Gigi?

8. Jermey says:

I really liked Marty in season 4. Not so much in S7 when they turned him into an idiot.

• Erin B says:

Exactly. Marty was perfect for Rory, & the reason I never warmed up to Logan was how poorly he treated Marty. But then they ruined Marty with that S7 crap.

9. Dominique says:

aaww i was wondering about him. i liked him a lot, and i always thought he was a muchbetter match for rory than logan. but beyond that, i very much liked their friendship.

10. MMD says:

If Rory was going to end up with anyone, I always felt that it should have been Marty. Going to miss him but maybe there will be more installments………………………………………………hopefully.

• tsevca says:

Why him? She had plenty of chances, but she never saw him that way. And he was her friend for more than a year, but the minute she told him she isn´t interested, he stopped seeing her completely. Shows real sincerety.

11. tsevca says:

Honestly, why Marty? Why would he come back? He was obviously her friend mostly to build a base to ask her out. When he saw Logan´s interest in her, he stopped being her friend (Rory didn´t even wanted Logan back then). She had to push him to hanging out again, but when he didn´t get her, he stopped being her friend completely. When they met in season 7, he put her friendship with another person at risk, not just by pretending not to know her, but he was this close to hitting on her, while they both were in relationship with someone else. And Rory showed no sign of that kind of interest. What´s the point of bringing him for the 4th time?

12. Baker Girl says:

Someone should “really” tell the Palladino’s that 8 hours (4- two hour eps.) would have made us all very happy. It wouldn’t have over taxed our patience

13. Anne says:

I would have been very happy with a mini movie instead of an episode. It’s Netflix, running time is irrelevant.

14. Alexa says:

Haha no one cares that Christopher is nowhere to be found

15. Hey. Could cut that freaking musical and put Marty in there and given Lorelei and Luke a proper wedding instead of a montage.