Arrow Best Worst Recruits

Arrow Stars Tease Prometheus' Link to Oliver (and the Team's Reactions), Plus Dolph Lundgren's Knockout Debut

After weeks of lurking in Star City’s shadows, Prometheus finally lands on Team Arrow‘s radar this Wednesday (The CW, 8/7c) when the Big Bad’s killing spree leads Oliver & Co. to make some startling discoveries about their latest foe.

“We begin to explore why Prometheus is doing what he’s doing,” Stephen Amell shared during TVLine’s visit to the series’ set in Vancouver. To that end, “We actually have to go back in our story, which is interesting and something that I’m very proud that we’re doing in a fifth season. We’re calling back to a lot of familiar parts of our early days in the show.”

Arrow SpoilersAs the team attempts to make sense of Prometheus’ actions, Felicity and Curtis learn that his victims have a mysterious tie to Green Arrow’s past. In fact, “he and Oliver have a lot in common,” co-star David Ramsey teases.

That revelation could upend the already fragile dynamic between Oliver and his new recruits. “You’ll see just how the team members react to what Prometheus’ goal is,” Echo Kellum says, noting that the responses from Curtis, Evelyn, Rene and Rory are “varied.”

Meanwhile, Dig is the calm and confident voice of reason when it comes to figuring out how to deal with the new villain.

“He’s the guy you can count on to cut straight to the chase,” Ramsey describes. “Oliver’s the one that kind of struggles with, ‘Oh, well, maybe this. Maybe that.’ Diggle’s always the one that’s like, ‘Listen, he’s a criminal. We need to take him out. Don’t necessarily kill him, but he needs to go.’ … So his reaction to Prometheus is the same as it was with [Damien] Darhk, the same as it was with all our other villains: He needs to be taken out, that simple.”

Elsewhere, another new Big Bad finally shows his face in this week’s flashbacks: Russian government strongman Konstantine Kovar, played by legendary Rocky IV opponent Dolph Lundgren.

“I do think that it would’ve been a missed opportunity in the last year of these flashbacks to not have a really worthy adversary, and we’ve found that in Dolph, which is why he’ll be around for a while,” Amell says. “It’s been a blast to work with him.”

1. Shannon says:

I’m super aware of how ridiculous it sounds but I kind of want Tommy to be Prometheus? I don’t really know the history from the comics, though, so that’s my only guess.

• Vfan says:

Prometheus on the show is totally different from the one in the comics so there are no spoilers there. I’ve been hoping for Tommy also. Maybe Malcolm dragged him to a Lazarus Pit after he died and it turned him evil. Just a theory. I don’t have any inside info.

• Butch says:

Not likely since Colin Donnell is on Chicago Med and the actor would probably only be available for one episode and mostly likely in a small role. Tommy will most likely appear in a flashback to Season 1 time frame while the team is trying to figure out who Prometheus is and his relationship with Oliver. Laurel also will most likely be featured in new scenes related to season 1.

2. Karen says:

Any new deets on when Laurel is suppose to return alive and well?

• Bob Wood says:

I think that will be coming during the 4 way cross over as Katie Cassidy is listed as Guest star as Laurel Lance. However, that could be just her other earth counter part Black Siren. I would assume at some point this will be made clear if the original Laurel comes back, perhaps the Legends goes back in time and saves her or they get her from the past and bring her back to the Present.

• Ben says:

I think they said original Laurel and original Captain Cold won’t be revived because they’ve done too many ‘back from the dead’ stories.

3. Jason says:

I hope they get to Diggle being an actual fugitive on the run and I feel like unless is Tommy I’m probably gonna feel a little let down by who prometheus is

4. Mae says:

I’m sorry to say that I will have to stop watching Arrow. Loved the first few seasons but now all this flashback is getting to me. Don’t care what happened to him in the past, just want to see an episode that is in real time from beginning to end – like most other shows. I have been recording the episodes this season just so I can skip the ads and flashbacks, which by the way is now most of the show. Should have started long ago forgetting about all those flashbacks that I really can’t connect much to what is happening in the present.

• jj says:

The flashbacks have always been part of the show. Seems weird that it’s an issue for you now. Also your assertion that most shows do episodes from beginning to end is completely false. Non linear storyline telling has been quite common across shows for awhile now. It’s not specific to Arrow.

• steve says:

flashbacks are gone after this year anyways. they will end with him back in star city, give it one more season and flashbacks are over

• Dan says:

The flash backs tie directly to the story. Especially since this is his 5th year of his 5 yrs in hell

• Roe says:

I totally agree !

5. clintbrew says:

Prometheus is flashpoint related maybe malcolm revived tommy in the new timeline due to reverse flash teaming up with legion of doom also maybe that how Laurel comes back via legends or it talia al ghul

6. Anna says:

Is it just me, or feels like there is a new “dark archer” on Arrow every season?

7. Joey Padron says:

Good preview of new episode from some of the cast. Can’t wait to watch new episode tonight!

8. Brett Wilson says:

What if it’s Ollie from another timeline?

9. LIsa says:

It would be cool if he or she was a relative of someone Oliver killed in season 1. I mean, some of the people where just bodyguards doing their job and they were murdered by Oliver who is now a hero.

10. Dominique says:

i still think and hope tommy be turn out to be prometheus. this is a ifferent timeline after all, and who knows what malcolm merlyn did after tommy died. he might’ve brought him with him to the lazerus pit. it would be so awesome if colin donnell would come back for this.

11. Cheyenne says:

Honestly if Prometheus turns out to be anyone other than Tommy I’m going to be disappointed.

12. kath says:

Three male actors promote yet another two men coming on the show.
    Right now, I’m watching a scene with five male characters all talking with Felicity as comic relief.
    What happened to this show? Did they poll the frat boys and give them what they want? Because I want the old show back with characterization not this one which is guys! guys! guys!

13. Lee James says: