That's So Raven Spinoff

That's So Raven Spinoff: Meet Raven's 'Confident' Psychic Daughter and 'Young Donald Glover'-Type Son

New details are beginning to trickle in about Disney Channel’s upcoming That’s So Raven spinoff, and it sounds like the apple isn’t falling far from the Baxter family tree.

TVLine has learned that casting is currently underway for Raven’s daughter Nia, a tween described as “bold, confident and driven,” although those positive qualities “often get her in over her head.” Despite taking things too far, Nia always has the best intentions; she “believes in helping people and doing what’s right, even if it gets her into trouble.” (Gee, does that sound like anyone else we know?)

When the series begins, Nia is just starting middle school, a difficult transition made even more complicated by the fact that — wait for it — she’s suddenly having psychic visions.

Nia’s younger brother Booker is described as being a sweet, naïve mama’s boy — a “true innocent who is in no rush to grow up.” That said, once he’s aware of a situation, “he’s surprisingly adept at turning the tables and standing up for himself.” Casting directors are specifically looking for a “young Donald Glover” type.

As previously reported, the spinoff will find Raven-Symoné reprising the role of Raven Baxter, now a divorced single mother. Raven recently posted this photo of herself, hard at work on the new show:

Your thoughts on Raven’s offspring? Drop ’em in a comment below.

1. Ann says:

What? Is Raven even old enough to have a teenaged daughter?! I can’t believe how much time flies…it feels like yesterday when she was that cute little kid on The Cosby Show.

• lechatnoir says:

She ain’t though. I don’t know many 15 years old moms. she should have been a mom to a kindergartener

• Bella says:

I looked this up and she’s 31. So she’s technically old enough to have had a baby who’s now a teen, but probably not old enough to have had her on purpose.

• "A" says:

When “That’s So Raven” ended in 2007 Raven Baxter was 18 years old.
      When the spin-off premieres in 2017 … 10 years will have past so Raven should be 28|29.
      28 – 11 = 17 | 29 – 11 = 18 so they would be off by a year or two and she’d be a teen mom.
      ( Raven Symone will be 31 on Dec 10th )

• For her to have a daughter just entering middle school (making her about 11) the kid would of had to have been born in 2006 1 year before the show ended. And Raven was only 16/17 then with no baby. So unless the show will take place in a future time then this is a major continuity error.

• Megan says:

Hello earth to people that so raven ended in 2007. It’s 2017 now that’s a 10 year time span she would be older than 15 by now

2. Ian says:

Raven must be playing older. Its fine.

3. Antwan N. says:

When I read about the new upcoming series, I was in awe. Mostly because I fell in love with the first sitcom, in which it was a grandslam hit. I feel that this will have similar ratings. God bless👍

4. Jason says:

I wonder if the father of the kids will be black as well? would be nice to have more black sitcoms with KC undercover

5. Jared says:

That’s so Raven was my show back in the day. Can’t wait for the reboot.

6. Sal says:

I was so hoping for the son to be psychic, just for something new and different! Will the daughter’s best friends be one of each gender just like Raven’s? I hope not only because of the same reason as wanting something new and different. Same goes for the son. Who else might reprise their role in the show? I tried to ask Adrienne on The Real when I sent in a gurl chat topic asking if there’s any chance she might return as Alana. No luck… Close though because Baltimore was picked!

7. LE says:

I’m excited for the spinoff because Raven was so good despite all of the comments she has said.. I still like That’s so Raven a lot but it doesn’t make sense for her to have children yet.. why they can make a Freeform spinoff where she is a grownup woman working in fashion… I think a workplace comedy will work better rather than the typical Disney family sitcom but well I’m still gonna watch at least the same 1st episode

• Megan says:

Because the plot said more than a decade after that’s so raven meaning Raven would be old enough by now to have kids of her own

8. Ian says:

Chelsea needs to be back too, and with kids Raven’s kids’ age. It would be cute, if obvious, if they she had a son and they did the whole friends/romantic destiny thing between him and Nia.

9. john60476 says:

Isn’t she moving to Canada?

10. AlexAndriA Grace Porter says:

I absolutely loved That’s So Raven. I have been a fan my whole like starting with the Cosby show. I introduced my younger sister to the show through DVD’s I had held onto. Please let me know when and where casing calls will be held. 😊💙 so grateful a wonderful family show is coming back!

11. nayleedaily says:

I want to be Nia so bad

12. Peliz says:

I can’t wait for the That’s So Raven Spinoff! Wouldn’t this be the second spinoff though after Cory in the house? 😊

13. Andrew Cantone says:

Will the spin-off feature Nia’s best friends in the new show?