Patrick Heusinger Absentia Stana Katic AXN

Stana Katic's Crime Thriller Absentia Finds Leading Man in Patrick Heusinger

Castle‘s Stana Katic has a new partner.

Patrick Heusinger has been cast as the male lead in the crime thriller Absentia, according to our sister site Deadline. The Katic-starring series has a 10-episode order from Sony Pictures TV’s international network AXN. (The show has yet to be shopped to U.S. networks.) Heusinger will play the former husband of Katic’s character, an FBI agent who suddenly reemerges with no memories after a six-year disappearance during which she was presumed dead.

RELATED Castle‘s Stana Katic Eyes Return to TV, as FBI Agent Entangled in a Murderous Mystery — Get Details

The 10-episode series will begin filming early next year, to premiere sometime in 2017 on AXN’s worldwide channels. Once again, a Stateside home for the series has not yet been pursued/secured.

Heusinger had recent recurring roles on Hulu’s Casual, Bravo’s Girlfriends’ Guide to Divorce and NBC’s Revolution. He also co-stars as “The Hunter” in the current Tom Cruise movie Jack Reacher: Never Go Back. Katic, of course, just wrapped up a eight-season run as NYPD detective Kate Beckett on ABC’s Castle, which ended in May.

Does Heusinger look like a worthy match for Katic? Or are you still mourning the end of “Caskett”? Hit the comments and give us your early take.

1. M. says:

They’ll have to cast one good-looking child ;)

2. Kate says:

Well, that is one good looking man!

3. MMD says:

Don’t miss Caskett one single bit but do miss Stana Katic. I’m not familiar with the new male lead but I hope he can keep up and hold his own.

4. Audrey says:

Good looking leads. Now, let’s hope the storyline holds up.

5. Lala says:

Wow, he’s gorgeous…I may have to tune in after all.

6. anon10 says:

Castle? What Castle?
    I am looking forward to this and him and Stana.
    He is a tall, cool glass of water.
    Bring It!!!

7. Here’s hoping that these New Dynamic DUO will bring a fresh and fantastic Chemistry to this
    New TV Series…. a power Couple!!! And that They will remain friends even after the Show is
    over….. As a HUGE STANA KATIC fan, I commend her integrity, wit, kindness & humility even
    when under a great deal of pressure! Welcome Paul, looking forward to your great performances with Stana ………

8. DarkDefender says:

I find it odd that SK wanted to leave Castle for “creative reasons” and pushed her Indy film career just to end up playing a cop again on TV. I hope the show works out for her, but it kinda sounds like Castle 2.0.

• Gaby says:

It sounds NOTHING like Castle. Her character will actually be the suspect of murder. She won’t be playing cop, nice girl, bringing justice to others. She’ll be on the very other side of things.

• You can’t fire somebody whose contract has already expired. Stana was not offered a possibility to renew her contract for season 9 after her contract expired after season 8, but she was not fired technically. The ones actually FIRED were: Nathan Fillion, Jon Huertas, Susan Sullivan, Molly Queen, Seamus Dever and Toksic , since they all SIGNED for season 9, but ABC decided to cancel the show.

• Susan says:

Perhaps in the “normal” world, not being asked to renew a contract is not “technically” being fired, but in Hollywood it is considered being fired.
        Also, Fillion and his crew were not fired. The show was not renewed, so it no longer existed. Thus, they were laid off, not fired (in the language of the normal world).

• Lynn says:

Oh good it would be nice if you guys grew up! They all signed for season 9 and were laid off/fired whatever you want to call it! I have nothing against Fillion but was getting tired of his groupies always running down the show “Castle” and spouting drivel about how he should leave to take up all these wonderful offers he suposedly had….welll!! I hope he and you guys enjoy these fantasy shows he was passing up! Let’s wish him well and move on!

I wish all the best to Ms. Katic and her new show, will look forward to once again seeing her wonderful acting talent !

• jim says:

Potayto, potahto…why are we even still talking about this? The end result result was the same for ALL of them yes…irregardless of word description. FACT is they were all not needed anymore. While I sympathize with Katic, I think she got off in a nicer way. Fillion got the more embarrassing boot. Signing on and then being dumped, like his contract meant nothing. Don’t get me wrong, I’m glad it was cancelled, it would have never worked without the female lead, and I guess ABC came to their senses, but they should have come to it earlier and cancelled the show before any option to go on without Katic since they could not pay her, instead of making Fillion the clown who took the fall. Purely ABC at fault.

• georgee says:

If ABC would of come to their senses earlier they would have fired the show runners after episode 2 of season 8 for the BS story line.

• Jennifer says:

Stana didn’t leave Castle, they didn’t ask her back. They wanted a only guy show because they didn’t ask Lanie back either.

9. Ellen says:

How long before this guy has to start blocking Stana’s nut job fans.

10. Diya says:

Hey wasn’t this guy on an episode of CASTLE.
    I think it was the episode where castle is held hostage by a fan of his in a dentist clinic. Patrick was the killer in the episode. Lol, I can’t believe I remembered that.

11. Carol Baker says:

Iove castle keep watching re runs such a shame its ended be nice to see it back even without beckett

12. Lorna says:

Waiting for the nutty antiFillion fans to make a comment. Wish Stana best of luck.

13. George B. Snow says:

I love Ms Katic, she is an excellent actress & I hope that the show will be aired in the US so I can watch her again!! He looks like a good partner for her, but I hope that he doesn’t act like her last co-star!!!

14. Susan says:

I am very excited about this show and cannot wait to watch it. I hope he has the acting chops to keep up with Stana…but at least she finally gets a good looking and very hot costar. 😊

15. Louise says:

Tired of seeing her in a police procedural. I would like to see her in something different. She is a fairly decent actress. Something with more real drama in it, not just more sex. She played a foil to Castle and his humor; it would be nice to see her in some on going, gut wrenching drama that doesn’t always turn out ok at the of each episode.

• NotSoDisappointed says:

Here’s a couple of synopsis about the show.

“While hunting one of Boston’s most notorious serial killers, the agent disappears without a trace and is declared dead. Six years later, she is found in a cabin in the woods, barely alive and with no memory of the years she was missing. Returning home to learn her husband (Heusinger) has remarried and her son is being raised by another woman, she soon finds herself implicated in a new series of murders.
      Heusinger’s character also is an FBI agent. Still in love with his first wife, he is torn in doing his duty as an FBI agent.”

“FBI Agent Emily Vaughn goes missing for six years while working on a case. Emily leaves her 3 year old son, Flynn, and loving husband Nick behind and is presumed dead, the victim of the serial killer. She appears 6 years later with no recollection of what has happened during her “missing” years and finds herself being treated as avictim and then as the main suspect. So much has happened in the “lost” six years, Nick has remarried (Alice), and Flynn doesn’t recognise his mother. Her colleagues and family have mourned her loss and some find it difficult to reconcile the new Emily with the old. Events and evidence send Emily on the run to prove her innocence”

This doesn’t seem like a straightforward police procedural, certainly not a COTW, and
      Patrick Heusinger answered this to a fan who asked if we could expect more than 10 episodes : “you don’t want more than 10…the fewer, the higher the quality and the more focused we can be as artists.”

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

+200 TVLine Power User points (no cash value)

. Not at all identical.

• anon10 says:

I am reminded of The Fugitive.
        Except I think that Stana’s character will not be on the lam and hiding, but instead will attempt to forte an arrest because of a lack of substanial evidence.
        The best defense would be to find the actual murder which will be her ongoing task and goal while at the same time expreriencing a WTWT situation with her ‘Ex’, and reconnecting with her child against many odds.
        So many potential stories to be told.
        With elements of action, mystery, love and maybe a little comedy.
        Good scripts and drections will be essential to the success of this.
        I have faith in the acting if directed properly.

16. Pat says:

Still missing the Castle relationship. Love our Stana and Nathan. It came off as so intense and they really seemed suited to each other. It may well be that Patrick can be a good match but 10 episodes is a far cry from 8 years of “sword play” with wonderful Nathan Fillion. Honestly, it will be really wonderful to see Stana on tv again. (Providing they find a US home for Absentia.

• Denise Dressen says:

Agreed

• anon10 says:

The Castle relationship seemed to dissolve mid-season 6. And completely evaporate 6:23.
      That show shot itself in the foot when Marlowe left and was overdue fo cancellation.
      It had become tedious and embarrassing to watch and they did the right thing by shooting the crippled horse.
      A cancellation was a mercy for the dead.

17. Trudy B l ack says:

Super…can’t wait.

18. John NYC says:

I sure hope they check her for dengue fever antibodies stat.

Because that has to be cleared up first thing.
    Then tattoos. ;)

19. Denise Dressen says:

Castle and ALL the characters was my favorite show and I still can’t believe it is over :)
    At least I have the Richard Castle books to feel it is still going strong…..
    Good luck to Stana and all the extra Castle crew but won’t be the same as that awesome show!

20. Cynthia says:

I want to see this show on American TV. I hope it gets picked up here.

21. acurat says:

We will see if this really goes anywhere. So far, no takers in the US including streaming companies so that does not bode well. Maybe the pilot will convince someone but if not… US citizens will never see it.

22. Hope it is on USA channel. Won’t miss Castle(NathanFillion) at all. Loved the onscreen chemistry but I think he didn’t go to bat to have Stana rehired. Jealousy is a green eyed monster and I think he was the monster in this backstabbing of Stana by ABC Productions. Shame on them. They are off my viewing list. Stana and Patrick should make a good team but whatever Stana does should make it big. She’s the best tv female cop character ever . Good luck lady and soar. You deserve it.

23. Jennifer says:

Big improvement in the looks department from Nathan Fillion.