Post Mortems
Notorious Recap

Notorious Boss Talks Sarah's Killer Reveal, What's Next for Jake and Julia

Notorious fans were rewarded for their patience on Thursday with an answer to the question plaguing them since the pilot: Who really killed Sarah Keaton?

As some fans guessed, it was indeed Sarah’s brother Alan — though they never could have guessed that he was also the father of her child, the result of a horrific (not to mention incestuous) sexual assault.

“It wasn’t just to shock viewers,” series creator Josh Berman tells TVLine of the morbid reveal. “It felt like the story was grounded, and we believe the twist makes sense. It’s dark, but the two incidents — the rape and the later murder — are connected organically.”

“Jake will certainly be affected by his ordeal,” Berman adds. “He’s already suspect of our judicial system, and now he will be even more so. He’s the champion of the underdog, the person he feels is getting a raw deal by the courts and the judicial system. So he’ll be driven even further to fight for his clients and make sure they’re getting a fair crack at justice.”

Read on for more insight from Berman, as well as a taste of what the next few episodes have in store for Jake and Julia:

TVLINE | Now that Oscar is behind bars, are we done with his story? Have we seen the last of Kevin Zegers?
We love Kevin, and we’ve already spoken about ways to bring him back. He’s a great foil to Jake.  In some ways, they’re similar, but in others they couldn’t be more different. I’m quite certain they’d never reconcile, but I can see Oscar being a thorn in Jake’s side moving forward.

TVLINE | Is this new Dana Hartman-related mystery going to replace Sarah’s murder as an ongoing subplot?
Yes, the murder  of who killed Johnny becomes our next mini-arc, but it will be resolved much quicker than the Oscar Keaton case. Melina Kanakaredes is on board for four episodes, but we hope to get her for more. She’s amazing. The story is sexy and salacious, but also grounded in real stories that Mark Geragos and Wendy Walker shared with us. [Editor’s note: Jake and Julia are based on Geragos and Walker.] I think the viewers will quickly get wrapped up in this new mystery.

TVLINE | Jake and Julia’s relationship is another mystery. I feel like they’re too flirty to be “just friends.” How would you describe their connection?
They’re best friends, and they’re obviously attracted to each other, but the importance of their professional relationship is such that neither would want to cross the line. It’s inspired by the real relationship between Mark and Wendy. They have such fantastic chemistry, but I don’t believe they’ve ever slept together. (They won’t say one way or the other!)

TVLINE | Might future episodes delve into a possible romantic connection?
Yes, there are some very organic moments coming up quite soon that speak to their romantic entanglement and future.

TVLINE | Switching gears a bit… When ABC trimmed Notorious‘ episode order down to 10, did that change your trajectory at all?
No, ABC has been very clear to us that they could order more episodes. This was a scheduling issue. We’re not striking our sets, and we’re ready to go as soon as the network tells us they want more episodes.

TVLINE | Let’s say ABC doesn’t renew the show for a second season — will viewers be left with a million questions, or will Episode 10 provide some closure?
Episode 10 will provide a lot of closure, and it will answer a bunch of questions. But as in life, nothing is ever wrapped up in a bow.

TVLINE | Generally speaking, what can we expect from the rest of the season?
I think the remaining episodes are the best ones yet. They’re exciting, drawn from real life headlines and stories, and very satisfying both from a story and character stand-point. I’m really excited to see viewer response to the next batch of episodes.

Be honest: Did you guess Sarah’s killer? And what are your hopes for the rest of Notorious‘ first season? Collect your thoughts, then drop ’em in a comment below.

1. Claire says:

I really wish I liked this show.

2. Ron Johnson says:

Good show, got to love Piper. Close enough to some real life shows to see this in a new light. give it a chance to at least play the first story through.

3. Trish says:

I really enjoy this show. It keeps me engaged and I find myself caring about the different character relationships. I feel cheated that we will get short changed with just 10 episodes. Hopefully ABC wakes up and realizes they have something good here.

4. Cynthia says:

I really like this show. Hopefully more people watch but doubtful.

5. Maryann says:

Notorious is by far my favorite new show of the season. Same idea as Castle or Bones but far, far better. I honestly don’t understand why it hasn’t caught on. All I can figure is that it is a scheduling issue — the people tuning in on ABC Thursday nights want to wallow in Scandal/ HTGAWM type dirt, and Notorious is about as opposite from that as you can get. Why didn’t they give it Castle’s old spot, so maybe it would have had a chance? This whole thing just makes me very, very sad.

6. liame says:

Is anyone watching this show? I tried a couple of episodes but it’s really boring and the chemistry is non existent.

7. jericho says:

The sign of a good “mystery” is to litter the show with teases and actual clues that lead to eventually solving it. The Alan character was so very little used and absolutely NONE of his previous screentime gave us anything to suspect him other than him being a bit of a jerk. The “solution” was unfulfilling and sudden. Up until this point the show had be watching (even if it was all but canceled a while ago), but this “Easy” way out with a borderline deus ex machina type “sudden realization” was just too much.

8. NicoBidou says:

Do we know who run over the child in the pilot ??? Is that Oscar ?

9. melaniedhi says:

I’m on and off with that show. Loved the first episode, meh the second, skipped one or two but tried again (the last 2 of the Sarah storyline), and loved them. (It also felt as if I didn’t miss anything when I quit. Like the idea that the main plot is not always the same length and that its not one story for the whole season.
    But I SOOO ship Julia & Jake. Keep the tease for as long! :D

10. Yeeee says:

I really like this show! There is great chemistry between Piper and Daniel. I hope viewers give it another chance!

11. sunflower says:

I love that show, keeps me engaged and interested unlike some other shows (yes, you Quantico) I really hope it won’t be canceled!

• Linda Murphy says:

Keep this show on !!! I was shocked to see Sarah’s mother turn herself in to clear her daughter’s name – both innocent and will be cleared.Sarahs’ friends are involved.

12. Trudella Snuggs says:

I am into “Notorious” now and would hate to see it be cancelled. Please order more episodes. Why is it that the good shows get cut and we are left with some pretty awful shows? Thank you

13. TP says:

Notorious, great show, great twists, grabs your attention, and over before u know it, just want to see more and keep watching, definitely a keeper, hopefully a season 2, seems they’re always taking the good shows away, there’s more to watch than “too” much REALITY!