Longmire End Date Set: Netflix Renews Drama for Sixth and Final Season

Longmire is riding off into the sunset — for real this time.

Netflix announced on Wednesday that it has renewed the death-defying Western for a 10-episode sixth and final season. The Robert Taylor-fronted series originally ran for three seasons on A&E, before getting cancelled in August 2014. Netflix subsequently swooped in with a Season 4 order, followed by Season 5 and (now) 6.

In a statement, executive producers Greer Shephard, Hunt Baldwin and John Coveny expressed gratitude to Netflix “for the opportunity to compose a closing chapter for these beloved characters that inspires lasting memories. Most importantly, we’re committed to delivering a dynamic and satisfying conclusion to our fans that rewards their longtime loyalty.”

Cindy Holland, Netflix’s VP of original content, added, “We are proud to be the home of the Longmire series, as so many viewers over the last few seasons have watched and been captivated by Walt’s journey. There has been no better team to work with on this show than Greer, Hunt and John, and their tremendous cast and crew, and we have every confidence that they will have a satisfying conclusion to this revered series. We are grateful to them and our friends at Warner Bros, who have been tremendous partners.”

Longmire‘s final ride kicks off in 2017.

1. Gloria Seales says:

Longmire is the reason some of us subscribe to netflix. It has been a very riveting series.

• Kimberly Hardin says:

Totally agree with Gloria….say it ain’t so!

• helen gould says:

same here once it goes im done I don’t understand ebery time get a good show someone says that it whayever net flix

• toolekit says:

I don’t understand it ending either. Such a good, decent and unusual show of substance that has kept me captivated and enthralled. It is such a welcome relief from the mindless drivel of other series that ate far too abundant for viewers. Longmire doesn’t eat up ones intelligence.

• tomus225 says:

Well said! I can’t understand the desire to keep inventing the wheel! Longmire has a huge fan base and with the Longmire books in plentiful supply there is no need for heavy writing just modifying for TV. I recently read on one of these posts about a series named HEARTLAND that is on Netflix. I tried it and it is a very nice slow based series with a stable cast. If you love horses and beautiful scenery check this out while you still have Netflix. It has multiple years and is still in production. (10 th year)

• Tim Watson says:

Yep….will likely be done when Longmire and Heartland are done.

2. ragnar51 says:

DAMM!! Too many good shows ending of in the last season :(

3. Boiler says:

Guess I won’t need Netflix after this season

4. pioneer says:

We too will cancel Netflix after Longmire is over.

5. TaMara says:

Thank you Netflix for saving this show, for giving it time to conclude, but I’m one of the fans who would easily watch a season 7… maybe even 8.

• kathy finnegan says:

Why is this the last season? Longmire could go on for years!! Very disappointed in Netflix. We too will cancel after it ends!

6. Kathy Bergeron says:

Hate to see it end, but I am grateful that Netflix rescued it and in the end, will have given us 3 seasons we wouldn’t have otherwise had. Hoping for a good ending.

7. Julia says:

Not happy to read this. Longmire is one of my favorite shows.

8. Karen teeple says:

Happy and very sad …I’ll miss Vic, Walt, Henry…oh hell all of them😢

9. kirads09 says:

Well, we have gotten these incredible extra seasons thanks to Netflix after A&E cancelled it. Show has one of the greatest fanbases EVER and it was largely due to the fans it continued. This is one of my fav shows and I will miss it greatly. But going with a thankful attitude and the don’t cry because its over, smile because it happened mantra. Please let talented Robert Taylor get a new series sooner rather than later.

10. johnhelvete says:

My question to the two posters that have already posted in this thread. Why are you subscribing year round to Netflix (and this applies to Amazon and Hulu as well) for one show when the service is month to month in the first place?

• Nancy Gibson says:

What are you suggesting?

• Nita Davis says:

Can’t understand why Netflix would cancel Longmire after 6th Season. If you are paying attention millions of viewers love Longmire. Seems like the good shows get cancelled and silly shows go on and on. Listen to your viewers Netflix and keep the great show Longmire. Show us excellent and actors are fantastic on Longmire! !!!!!!!

11. JScout says:

Thank you Netflix. I love this show. So glad you gave us an extra three years.

12. I’ll miss Longmire. It’s a quality show all the way. I want to than Netflix for giving us three more seasons. I actually think the quality of the show improved after the move to Netflix. These have been delightful, intense, and one of the better shows out there.

13. Edna says:

Love Longmire. Thanks to NETFLIX that kept this show going. Hate to see it go.

14. RedReddington says:

I mean I’m so grateful for another season, but I’m also upset it’s going to be ending. It really sucks, and now I’m sad. :(

15. tomus225 says:

I hate to hear that it is coming to an end, but I’ll have the books and MAYBE a Netflix movie from time to time????? Please, please, please! The Jesse Stone pics have been a big hit why not Longmire???

16. glen says:

Love this show

17. Kate says:

While I wish Longmire could go on forever, I’m glad for the three seasons we wouldn’t have otherwise had, and that the series is able to end on it’s own terms. That’s the important part.

18. TC says:

Sad to see this go but at least we’ll get a final season.😞

19. Carrie says:

I’m glad that there’s one more season to look forward to, but I’m bummed that it’s ending. I’ll miss this show.

20. DavidJ says:

Never understood why this show has never gotten the kind of praise and critical accolades that Justified did, since the writing and characters have always been just as strong in my book. I get the sense a lot of people dismiss it as just another cop procedural, even though it’s so much richer and more interesting than that.
    In any case, really glad to hear it’s getting one more season to close the story out properly.

• kathy finnegan says:

Agree!!!

• tomus225 says:

Longmire is what prompted us to sign up with Netflix, but now it is our “go to service” along with Amazon Prime (never used the streaming part until Longmire moved to Netflix). We SO prefer to watch TV this way that we are giving serious consideration to dropping regular TV subscriptions.

• tomus225 says:

Two words: Timothy Oliphant

• MMD says:

With Longmire going and Justified gone, I’m holding out for the much promised Deadwood movie from the genius of David Milch and included not only Timothy Olyphant but a complete cast of terrific character actors (many which showed up on Justified)

• drhenning says:

While I enjoy Longmire, Justified was better.. Much bigger wider character universe.. Another reason is that the multiple guest stars on Justified were far more well known.. Needless to say.. happy it’s getting to wrap its story.. I have gone through 9 episodes in Season 5 and should wrap it up before the World Series!!

• Charles SixGun says:

Well I just started watching Longmire about a month ago when I eat dinner, I am in season two so I am glad I still have a ways to go. Look forward to the rest by all your comments. He is a character I can relate to, almost like a family member. Always liked Lou Diamond Phillips, dude is awesome. Thanks for all the positive feedback makes me want to watch an episode right now!

21. Deion says:

I love Longmire, but it’s good that they are getting a chance to wrap up Walt’s story. This season’s cliffhanger would be a terrible way to end.

22. Gini says:

OH NO!!! This is my western fix..,,and I love the cowboy! 😕

23. MMD says:

While I’m thrilled that Longmire is getting a final season I would have loved if it had continued for many seasons to come.

• MMD says:

The I’ve thought about this today the more upset I’ve gotten. I love my cowboys and Walt Longmire is a great character, so different from the carbon copy shows on the main networks. This show has grit and I love the reservation interaction, something we don’t see enough of, not to mention Henry Standing Bear and the lifelong friendship between he and Walt. Damn!

24. Ginger Cheek says:

Don’t end Longmire!

25. Anne says:

That’s respectable. I’m okay with this decision. Give them the chance to wrap it up

26. Trina says:

This is half the reason I have Netflix. House of cards the other. This should have lasted longer! Its a great show

27. Maureen Mc Mc Murchy says:

We’ve watched Hell On Wheels on Netflix, and when we got to the last 7 episodes,,,NOT THERE!?!? Is there a reason for that? It’s like reading a very interesting book, and the last pages are torn out. :(

• tybabb says:

Shows don’t appear on Netflix immediately. The final 7 episodes of Hell on Wheels just finished airing on AMC in July, so it’ll take a bit longer before they join Netflix. Don’t fret, they’ll come!

• tomus225 says:

Yes, the last few episodes of HOW aired not too long ago. Give it a little time, they too, shall show up!

• MMD says:

Love that show and was so sorry when it ended. As I keep saying I love my cowboys. Anyway, if you don’t want to wait the final episodes are available on iTunes and the complete series came out of dvd/blu-ray yesterday.

If you can wait, since the final episode aired in July and now with the dvd release it should hit Netflix right before/after Christmas at least in Canada/US.

28. ginar369 says:

I never knew what happened to it when it went stopped airing on A&E. It’s been on Netflix this whole time? Tell me I can still watch seasons 4 & 5.

29. arial2 says:

Love this show and am thankful Netflix gave it three more seasons after the other channel cancelled it. The quality of the acting and storylines has never diminished. I subscribed to Netflix just to watch this show, but have found so many other wonderful series (many of them British) there that I will likely stay with Netflix even after Longmire is gone.

30. Robin says:

Thank you Netflix for a great ride!!! I love everything about this show and it will be missed. Thank you for giving fans a final season. Wished A&E did that with The Glades. Yeah still bitter about that.

31. georgia morphew says:

No, please no. Longmire is a good, quality show. Please do not end it.

32. georgia morphew says:

No, no, no.

33. Teresa Brooks says:

Guess nothing great lasts forever,but how I wish it would.Best show on Netflix.

34. Diana Golliday says:

I love this show and had never seen it until i got it on netflex, i sure hate to see it it but happy to have at least one more season, i will miss Walt,he’s moody but he makes the show, then there’s Henry, sexy man, so sorry to see you all go,

35. Debbie says:

Another great show ends, while shows not 1/4 as good goes on and on. This just breaks my heart. Thank you Netflix for the shows you did give us, I just wish it could have been more.

36. Lee brooks says:

Love this show. Its good, well written and suspenseful. I hate when good captivating shows are taken off!!!

37. A Western Fan says:

I will truly miss Longmire. I had no idea that Robert Taylor was an Aussie until I saw on one of their shows. Wow!

The stories have been great and I’ve really enjoyed this season. LOVE Katie Sackoff and LOVE here even more in Longmire than BSG.

It’s tough for a show to go on 10+ seasons, and these days most are lucky to get 5. Studios are pretty quick to dump a show, even if the fanbase supports it. NF didn’t say why the show only gets one more season, but I expect it’s all about the Benjamins.

A great show— superior writing, acting, direction… and it’s a WESTERN to boot. Raylan never got a chance to visit Absaroka County. He would have like it.

38. kitsunesaru says:

I’m okay with this. I would like it to continue for many years but hey, we got three extra seasons and it won’t end on a cliffhanger!

39. Preacher Book says:

Loved Longmire, but last season was very confusing. Walt seemed to be slipping over into obsession with is pursuit of Nighthorse. The casino owner was actually doing some good in his community and hiring Katee to give them legal access was an objectively good move. But Walt alienated himself from his daughter and simply couldn’t accept good from Nighthorse. Almost ruined his friendship with Henry. The last season should bring some balance and resolution.

Oh, and Malachi just needs to die. Period. End of story. The man is absolutely no good for anyone and has no redeemable qualities. Great acting by Greene.

40. pickles says:

One of the best shows on netflix.

41. Ella says:

NO NO NO NO! Not ready for Longmire to end. But if you have to, please don’t spend so much time on the daughter next season.

42. James says:

How can it be canceled though ifthey renewed it for a final season?

43. albertj15 says:

Netflix helped Longmire fans reach a conclusion, an now they gave us 6 great seasons an they will not leave us hanging

44. Angela says:

I’m so happy Netflix gave them a home and a chance to tell more stories and now a chance to tell the final story.

45. tomus225 says:

Could go for that! #moredeadwood

46. Buddy Derry says:

At least we get a end to this great show but with it’s fan base this show
    could have gone on another 6 seasons.Adios NF

47. Bill Cord says:

What is the point of cancelling a series watched by millions of loyal viewers that spills over to other series on Netflix? Oh well, one more year to pay for Netflix.

48. Malissa R. says:

Ooohhh!!!!! Sad face!!! Love, love, love this show.

49. Why is it that all the good shows get cancelled and the crap like survivor keeps getting renewed?

50. Eric Cantley says:

Sad to see Season 6 will be the end of a great show.