Kevin Can Wait Showrunner Exit Season 1 CBS

Kevin Can Wait Shake-Up: Co-Creator Departs Amid Creative Differences

Kevin may be in no rush, but a key executive producer has decided his time on a successful CBS comedy ends now.

Bruce Helford has stepped down as showrunner of Kevin Can Wait, per our sister site Deadline, reportedly because of creative differences with star Kevin James.

Helford co-created the series with Rock Reuben (The King of Queens) and James. Executive producer Rob Long (Cheers, Sullivan and Son) will take over as showrunner.

TVLine has reached out to CBS for comment.

James’ second CBS sitcom recently scored a full-season pickup, along with dramas Bull and MacGyver. Kevin Can Wait, with 10.4 mil total viewers and a 2.5 demo rating, is fall’s No. 1 comedy in both measures.

Kevin Can Wait fans, how do you feel about Helford’s abrupt exit? Sound off in the comments!

1. TV Gord says:

Considering Helford has had more TV hits than James, I’ve chosen my side. (The show is pretty awful, though.)

2. Eva says:

Fall’s no. 1 comedy? What a sad fall we’re having…

3. Katrinka says:

It may be measured numerically as the #1 new comedy, but Kevin Can Wait is just King of Queens with a few added twists in my book. I’d put The Good Place at #1 & Speechless #2 in the new comedy department.

• Jim says:

It’s even got the same actors mostly…

• jp says:

I hate speechless. I don’t like the characters at all. Minnie Driver acts like a shrew on it. I just can’t watch it. I loved her in the Riches but not here. I also know people who can’t stand the Good Place. It is ok but not great.

4. Mike says:

Since the quality of the show is going to suck with or without this producer, I don’t think this will matter at all. The same people who liked it before will like it after. The only thing that will take this show off the air is Kevin James deciding to move on.

5. GW says:

The wife is not great, the kids are table settings. What made King of Queens so good was
    that both Doug and Carrie were equal in their failings. Sometime Doug would be off the deep
    end and sometime Carrie. The supporting characters like Spence and Danny and Arthur usually
    had good subplots. This new show is just an extension of Doug Heffernen, with different actors
    around him. Need to loose the soon to-be son-in-law character and the kids. The show probably
    needs a re-boot and a re-working. Anyone remember Tattingers? Then Nick and Hillary?
    may be a bad example (look it up). Love Kevin James just needs a better vehicle. (Why
    not bring back King of Queens)

• Patrick says:

Because the people portraying Doug and Carrie don’t really like each other. Plus, it would be too expensive to bring that one back.

• jp says:

I think King of Queens worked because he was a bit wimpy and she was what they used to call ‘a broad’. Loud mouthed and ran things. the combo was good.

6. Brock Hard says:

But shouldn’t there be some creativity for there to be differences? I’m sure not seeing it on screen.

7. Donna2712 says:

Three differences between this and King Of Queens, 1. They have kids (rarely seen but there), 2. They have a son in law living over the garage and not a father in law in the basement, and 3, the kitchen is on the left, not the right! Such a different show!

8. Rachel says:

Why does it seem that Kevin James has been playing the same character for 18 years?…..King of queens/ Kevin Can Wait

9. KLS says:

This show is unwatchable. Helford probably couldn’t get away fast enough.

10. Anne says:

I never expected ‘Kevin Can Wait’ and ‘creative’ to appear in the same sentence let alone a headline

11. Agent Carter says:

Too much to ask that he took the intrusive and misplaced ‘laugh’ track with him?

12. Malissa R. says:

I’m still surprised it received an extended run. I suppose it was just on Kevin James’ name. This show was sadly disappointing.

13. Nancy Martin says:

It is just a retread of other show,watched some of the premiere, awful.

14. Maria says:

Maybe Rob Long can work magic with the show. They should have gotten a known actress for his wife. Do something with the kids,they are not funny. Chale needs to go. He is not much different than Ryan on Last Man Standing. Very uninteresting character. His friends are lame as hell too.

15. jp says:

I walked away from it before Helford. Off my dvr list. Not a great show and I wanted it to be a good one.

16. Kevin says:

Not pleased pleased.

17. Maria says:

I like King of Queen. Bring Carrie back!! Kevin can wait I am disappointed in show.

• Sarah says:

King of Queens was successful because Leah Remini and Jerry Stiller were excellent comedians with great timing and acting chops to go with the witty writing. Everyone around KJ is very bland with bland lines–this show needs some spice and conflict. And they need to give Gary Valentine something to DO.

18. Donna Baker says:

Kevin Can Wait is a really more revamp of King of Queens

19. Geoff says:

Show stinks, why wait around for the shameful flop. I seen him (Kevin James) at a comedy show in Vegas last year, he sucks. Same jokes as what was on King of Queens. He was hounded by hecklers to no end and walked off the stage flipping everyone off on the way out. Fat ass brat. He sucks.