Beyonce Dixie Chicks CMA Awards 2016 Video

Beyoncé, Dixie Chicks Perform at 2016 CMA Awards — Watch and Weigh In

In what shall henceforth be known as the worst-kept Beyoncé secret since her “surprise” performance at the 2016 VMAs, the First Lady of Lemonade teamed up with the Dixie Chicks during Wednesday’s CMA Awards.

Rumors of the superstar team-up began swirling Tuesday evening, eventually flooding Twitter with all manner of “yasss!” and “slay!” by Wednesday morning. (Sure, there were a few naysayers out there, but TVLine is a safe space, so we’re choosing to look the other way.)

And just as it was foretold, Solange’s older sister joined the Dixie Chicks — Natalie Maines, Emily Robison and Martie Maguire — on stage towards the end of the three-hour event, performing “Daddy Lessons,” a track off Beyoncé’s latest album Lemonade. For good measure, they also threw in a bit of the Chicks’ “Long Time Gone.”

If you’re at all surprised by this collaboration, it might be helpful to note that the Dixie Chicks have been (expertly) covering “Daddy Lessons” on tour. And this isn’t the first time Beyoncé has unleashed her inner country crooner on TV, either — she joined Sugarland for a countrified version of “Irreplaceable” at the 2007 American Music Awards.

Check out part of the ladies’ performance below, then drop a comment with your thoughts. (Plus, grade it!)

1. Mommaknowsbest says:

Completely awesome performance by everyone on the stage – wish I could’ve seen it in person!

2. Cassie says:

This was definitely not Beyonce’s crowd so I thought it was smart to pair her with the Dixie Chicks who tend to appeal to, shall we say, a more liberal side of country music. I thought they sounded great.

3. Angela says:

Echoing the others-they blended quite well together. Very good performance.

4. Tammie Johnson says:

To begin with I’m not a Beyonce fan, but tried to remain impartial during the performance. Had a major problem with Beyonce’s outfit, well what lil fabric there was. My Grandma has that same fabric hanging over her kitchen windows. Enjoyed seeing the Dixie Chicks perform, but nothing spectacular. Honestly, I chose to change the channel and watch the World Series.

5. Roxie says:

When did Colin Firth become a Dixie Chick? That’s him in that top photo, right?

6. K.Day says:

I thought it was good…its funny tho a few years back the Dixie Chicks were the ‘disgrace’ of Country Music …but as time shows Good Music has no boundaries and no limits…..

7. Melanie m says:

It was a fantastic performance by everyone involved

8. Lala says:

It was actually great to my surprise

9. pat says:

why the hell was she even on that stage. it was the most out of place and disgusting performance of the night. also, who in the world is this chris stapleton, he and little big town need to just go away, they suck.

• Thelma says:

Totally agree!! Pisses me off to no end!!!!

• Jamie says:

Haha why are y’all so angry? She had a country song on her album, and so the CMTs invited her to perform it.

• Cc says:

Fiancé doesn’t even stand for our country. I don’t care she had a country song or not she hates white people where have you all bad do you not read about black lives matters she sits there and he speaks against the police she paid for people in Baltimore to get attorneys people that were throwing rocks and burning buildings and throwing things at officers it’s a disgrace and you’re a disgrace

• Kyle says:

lol… oh you white people… some of you are so insecure and so ridiculous.

(Plot twist: I’m white too)

• Anna says:

You’d have to be pretty slow to think that supporting Black Lives Matter means you hate white people. It is a movement that literally wants to stop the insane amount of people who are being killed by the police and by vigilante citizens. Or are you one of those people that sees actual video footage of police murdering people like Oscar Grant or Samuel DuBose or Alton Sterling but you just don’t care because they’re black?

And an insane amount of protestors that didn’t throw anything at anyone or burn any buildings were arrested in Ferguson and Baltimore were arrested by police but couldn’t make bail. Do you think you live in Nazi Germany? Should those protestors have stayed in jail? Absolutely not. She was getting people out of jail that have a right to assemble and a right to speak freely – something guaranteed to them by the First Amendment. So by supporting their constitutional rights, she effectively stood for our country.

• Crystal says:

all lies.

• Crystal says:

@cc, are you really saying this. Have you read what you are saying. You sound racist. how did you get hate from supporting the movement Black lives matter. Now if the police and vigilantes were killing white people; would you protest and support purple people matter or white people matter. Now back to the subject at hand. Beyonce’s song is a country song. The CMT’s invited her to perform. The song is Great! She and the Dixie Chick’s did Great! It does not matter the genre you are known for; it is a free world to sing what you like. Ray Charles sung both country and blues. Country singers team up all the time with other genres so Get OVER IT and sit down some where.

• Beyonce does NOT speak for our country. She disrespects the very police force that she wants to protect her, or to escort her when she needs them! She does NOT belong on a country award show, especially half nude! No use for the Dixie Chicks either! Country music is going downhill that is for sure. Pretty bad when you have to be nude to be considered a good entertainer! The Dixie Chicks are a disgrace to our entire country….why are they even still here?

• Jamie says:

No one speaks for our country, Sherry, except for the President. Not even you. This country is made up of 325 million people who all have different experiences and different opinions, and they all have a constitutional right to express that opinion whenever they see fit.
          And since when is calling out irresponsible cops equal to disrespecting the police force? The only people who disrespect our police force are those that are too weak to call out the cops that use unnecessary force/violence against certain citizens. It’s like you don’t think they could do any better – like they shouldn’t be held to the insanely low standard of actually protecting and serving ALL citizens. It seems like you are the one that disrespects our police.

• joan hammond says:

what was beyonce doing on the cma awards??? she ruin it for me.i turned it till she was off. can’t stand her. shes also racist and did not belong on this great country special.

10. i was intrigued when they teased beyonce & was looking forward to see what she would do
    but bringing in the dixie chicks completely ruined it for me

11. A DISCRASE!!!!!! To the OLD country music!!!!!shame!!CMA awards!!!!!! Gc

12. Thelma says:

I can’t believe that country music has stooped to the level of having Beyonce disgrace the stage. I dont care how talented and beautiful she is . She is a true piece of crap inside!!

13. Diana says:

For someon such as herself who thinks she’s so oppressed for being black, makes me wonder what she’s around so many white people.

14. Aubrey says:

Lmao at all the poor hurt racists ranting in the comments and thumbing down this spectacular performance. Bey and Dixie Chicks did their thing and they sounded so great together.

It’s an A++ from me!

15. Jen says:

Love Beyonce, Love the Dixie Chicks, but what kind if clip is that? It doesn’t showcase what they did at all.

16. marci palty says:

I sure do miss the Dixie Chicks

17. Lizzie says:

I did not especially like it – Natalie’s voice didn’t sound very good, not as good as usual, or at least as good as she has been in the past. Beyonce looked entirely ridiculous, nearly naked and singing as if she was adding something to it all – not.

18. Mike says:

I am sorry to say that preference by Beyoncé was a disgrace to county music
    She doesn’t belong on the same stage as our beloved country music stars !! I don’t really care how much of a star she is her poor judgment in her performance’s
    And her racists display at the super bowl
    I have no respect for anything that she stands for

19. Shannon says:

Country music seems to have drifted away from its original roots, to many country artists going pop now. I remember the days of the Johnny cash, Kenny Rogers , Dolly Parton, Loretta Lynn,Charlie Pride, and Conway . I miss those days it’s all about marketing now and has become to much like pop music.

• James says:

It’s been about marketing yourself and your music even before.

I guess you never watchedthise old documentaries and period films centered on musicians.

20. Tara says:

I really didn’t enjoy their collaboration or performance honestly. There have been collaborations in the past that man they worked and I enjoyed them a lot this wasn’t one of them. I don’t listen to Beyonce and haven’t heard much from the Dixie Chicks for several years now though at one point I really adored them.
    I think one of my frustrations for this was that the show was already running long and they ended up having to cut Dolly short on her speech which was really a shame considering it was a lifetime achievement award.

21. Susan Firrantello says:

Country Music fans are DONE with the Dixie Chicks! Almost puked! Thankful for fast forward only reason I watched was Dolly!

22. Cc says:

Smart to pair with the Dixie chicks the Dixie chicks talk down to country music it’s musicians against our country. I thought country music was supposed to stand for the USA and you’re letting Beyoncé someone who is racist against police against our soldiers supports black lives matter where the leader of that group wants to get rid of all white people and we bring her to the country music awards along with the Dixie chicks I might stop listening to country music altogether

• Had It says:

The police aren’t a race dumb ass

• Tasha says:

Really the leader of BLM wants to get rid of all white people? Do you even know who the leader is? No because they don’t have a leader they have representatives. And if BLM movement is about getting rid of all white people why did they protest the police when they shot an unarmed white person? How about you actually do research instead of listening to the hateful people on FOX or your uninformed friends and/or family!!!
      And where the heck is the data to conclude that she is against the soldiers?

23. Jake says:

Real country music stopped being produced around the 70’s. Like any genre (punk, new wave, doo wop, etc.) it had it’s era and no longer is being produced. Like those other genres, there are still some bands producing music with a country sound, but the era of country is over. 90% of what passes for Country is pop – Taylor Swift being a prime example.

• Jake says:

Sorry, should say “it had it’s time and but that like the other examples, that time is over.”

• Mommaknowsbest says:

Guess what? ALL music transitions through time. It changes with the times and the people. That has been the case throughout recorded history. Be thankful that recorded music exists and you’re able to continue to hear the music you love and appreciate.

24. Tom says:

dahel is Beyonce doing at the CMA awards? That’s a big part of the reason I don’t listen to modern pop “country” anymore.

• quang says:

She was there because after calling herself a country girl several times in her own songs, she decided to record a well-recieved country song on her latest album. The Dixie Chicks loved this song and like the article mentioned, performed it several times. Getting these two acts seemed like a no-brainer. Also, the ratings.

And Beyonce is such a big name that she gets invited to perform at literally EVERY award show, even the Oscars and Tonys.

• Crys says:

Why is she not a country girl? She’s from Texas. I’m from Georgia and NOT Atlanta and black. I’m a country girl as well.

• CP says:

She was performing her country inspired song “Daddy Lessons”. If you missed it, it’s available on this site for your viewing pleasure! Enjoy! :-)

25. Crys says:

Y’all are annoying me! Music is universal. No race has the monopoly on a genre of music. Ray Charles was a very popular country musician as well. (Do not confuse my comment with cultural appropriation; culture is NOT universal by mere definition). We have got to stop letting this made up hierarchy called race allow us to be so exclusive. These types of comments are the same reason why a whole political party has taken to excluding groups lately instead of reminding this country about the concerns of big government! (And I’m not even republican). It was Bey’s song, the Chicks play it on tour (i’ve seen them do it live = incredible!) and we should applaud the CMA’s for encouraging inclusion at this sad time in America’s history instead of exclusion. This country doesn’t NOT belong to the white race, it doesn’t belong to any of us. And btw: Did anyone else see Faith singing along???? Awesome!!

26. Mary says:

I might be in the minority but I didn’t really care for it. I understand having her on because quite frankly most Country music today is not really Country. I can see the crossover effect they might want to achieve. For me personally I wasn’t that impressed.

27. NICOLE ZUNIGA says:

Anything to get the Dixie Chicks back on my country radio/ tv! And Beyonce is a queen…can we say country album about to drop?

28. Rick Stutts says:

anyone that’s stands for what she does should never be allowed to be on stage with Americans that love America. She thinks her way and Kanye’s is the only way to be. They disgraced themselves when Kanye disrespected Taylor Swift. If they don’t love America, let them leave!

• Angela says:

I didn’t realize you were the arbitrator who “loved America” and who didn’t. And what hte hell does Kanye and Taylor Swift’s past have to do with any of this? Your argument, such as it were, is all over the place and makes no sense.
      If they don’t love America, let them leave!
      1) You have no proof they don’t love America.
      2) You do realize it’s perfectly okay to criticize this country, right? Geez, Trump gets to stand on stage and go on and on about how we need to “make America great again”, thus implying it’s not great now. By your logic, if he thinks this country isn’t so great, HE should leave, right?

29. bobbi6484 says:

Really not interested in seeing Beyonce on the CMA stage…..or the Dixie Chicks, for that matter.

30. Very nicely done. If I were Beyonce I would have chosen an outfit that complimented what the Dixie Chicks were wearing rather than a gown fit for the AMAs or the Oscars. Other than that I thought the per

31. kAREN MARROW says:

ONE OF THE BEST PERFORMANCES I’VE EVER SEEN AT THE CMA AWARDS SHOW. LOVE THE DIXIE CHICKS AND BEYONCE ADDED A WHOLE NEW INSIGHT INTO COUNTRY…THAT GIRL CAN MOVE. NICE SURPRISE!!!!

32. Ad says:

She’s a disgusting anti law enforcement pig and I lost respect for the Chicks for performing with her! Racist idiot, she should go against all the ideas The Chicks are supposed to stand for, especially being A lousy Hillary supporter! I wish that jerk would go away forever! Also, godamn the idiot women that still support her! My father was a cop during the Black Panthers era in New York and they executed white, black and Latino cops!

• Tasha says:

You do know that the Black Panther party was started because black people were tired of the unfair treatment of blacks by the police.

No one was complaining when the police would kill innocent and unarmed black people. There’s only so much people are going to take. If you don’t think they is true let someone continually harass you and start killing those around you in your neighborhood.

She is not anti police she anti bad policing which everyone should be. I’m sure you don’t want bad policing to effect you lethally.

33. Paula Hawk says:

Great show until Beyonce and Dixie Chicks. Beyonce is sure is not Country and do not want to see Dixie Chicks either. Country music fans love their country and these two acts do not demonstrate that. Bad choice on CMA part.

34. CP says:

You know you dat b%tch when you cause all this conversation #QUEEN Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

35. Crystal says:

This performance was everything! She brung it and the Dixie Chicks did too.

36. Nick says:

Would have been awesome if Beyonce wore cloths

37. dman6015 says:

Good g-d, does she have to be involved in EVERYTHING??? She’s getting as bad as the Kartrashians. Enough already. Stay out of the spotlight for a while. People might start liking you again.

38. cori says:

ugh! Beyonce did not belong there. Plenty of country artists could have filled that time slot.

39. Max says:

I cannot believe stupid and ignorant people, would believe that Beyonce is a racist, you all seem to be the racist and hateful group, might I add, talking trash about Beyonce’s performance, SO HATEFUL!!!

40. Susan Bailey says:

Would much rather have seen that time filled by Don Williams, Mel Tillis, or the Statler Brothers. True icon’s who were not mentioned in the evening, although I did appreciate this first time acknowledgement of the CMA’s to those who paved the way. Best of the CMA’s so far, just need far more of those old’uns, even if just in a montage of sorts. Realize that young country is where the money is, but old country is where the memories are….Just sayin..

• Tara says:

Well said — I loved George Straight and Alan Jackson’s part where they showed the montage of footage of Cash and others. I would have loved to have had more of some sort of recognition to the history that paved the way for Country Music.
      I loved seeing Charlie Pride at the beginning and Randy Travis – yes I will fully own I am a sap the memories of listening to those songs on 8 track with my mom in our living room those are priceless.

41. B Royse says:

Loved the show… turned it off when Beyoncé and the Dixie chicks came on!
    Would rather have heard songs from real Country artists!!!

42. abbi russell says:

She should not have been there at all rhere is nothing about her or what she does that is remotely considered t be country music. The time given to her was an insult to Dolly since Dolly was being honored and was slighted by having her speech cut short due to time constraints due in part by the Beyonce debacle. Sorry CMA’S lowered there standard and shame on you for doing it in the most celebrated show since the beginning. The decision to have her doesn’t reflect country values or music.

43. SUSAN JERNIGAN says:

I saw it the first time and that was enough!