Cruel Intentions Cancelled

Cruel Intentions Sequel Series Not Moving Forward at NBC

After spending months in pilot purgatory, a decision has finally been made about the future of NBC’s Cruel Intentions — and it’s not good news.

NBC has decided not to order the drama to series, TVLine has learned. Though the pilot was well-received, we hear there are simply too many shows on the network’s midseason roster to keep Cruel Intentions on hold.

The pilot picked up roughly 16 years after the events of the cult-classic film, with Annette — now played by Kate Levering — raising her and Sebastian’s teenage son Bash in Ohio. (That’s right, Annette was apparently pregnant with Sebastian’s baby when he died.)

Annette once again crosses paths with Sebastian’s sister Kathryn — a role masterfully reprise by Sarah Michelle Gellar — when Bash runs away to San Diego, seeking the truth about his father’s past. Needless to say, the drama that ensues is equal parts sun-kissed and bi-curious.

Sony Pictures TV is seeking a new home for the project.

Are you devastated by this cruel turn of events? Drop a comment with your thoughts below.

1. Walter says:

Good, now while SMG is still feeling nostalgic someone get them to get a Buffy revival on its feet.

• Mark says:

Didn’t we already learn our lesson about bringing Buffy back from the dead?

• Christopher says:

That bringing back Buffy from the Dead was awesome? Season 6 was pretty rad. Season 7 was pretty rad for the most part.

We would have never gotten Buffy The Musical. We would have never gotten the epic Spike/Buffy romantic arc. Evil Willow was pretty fun – Warren got his skin ripped right off! Buffy Bot! Season 6 was pretty awesome.

Yeah, Season 7 definitely had some weak moments but overall it was a fun watch the first time around. The return to Sunnydale. Anya becoming a vengeance demon again. The return of Faith, and a fun role for Nathan Fillion as an evil priest channeling the First (or something like that). And Spike’s redemption quest which had such an amazing payoff on the final season of Angel.

Yeah so is that the lesson you are talking about, because bringing back Buffy from the dead was pretty sweet.

• militantgod says:

Buffy The Musical is the most overrated thing in the existence of TV. I adore Buffy but those UPN years were nothing special. Season 2 and 3 are the golden standard.

• Brad says:

No. Just no to all of that.

• militantgod says:

So season 2 and 3 was “No. Just no to all of that”? Right on!

• Brigid says:

I call bull. Sorry, that musical episode was the BEST thing to ever hit TV. To write an entire musical that totally played into the mythology of the show was in fact GENIUS!!!

• militantgod says:

So better than The Wire? Yeah okay. People like you prove my entire point on how utterly overrated that episode is. Everything from season 2 and 3 was better.

• overrated??? ‘Once More With Feeling’ is considered at the top as one of the best episodes of all time in TV! It was Emmy Worthy!! Everyone knows that! Are you really a Buffy fan? Because you don’t seem to be one!

• militantgod says:

Just because a bunch of nerds thinks it was clever and amazing doesn’t mean anything. I don’t watch Buffy to listen to a friggin’ musical. It was awful. It’s was a gimmick. It’s overrated. Emmy worthy? Where’s the Emmy?

2. Elizabeth says:

Well that’s more trick than treat. I hope another network picks it up. It would probably do better on Starz or HBO than on NBC anyways.

3. Lisa says:

Id love to see it. Hopefully they release the pilot at some point but i definitely dont think NBC is a good home for something like cruel intentions

4. Gina says:

I was kind of looking forward to this.

What happens to pilots if they don’t get picked up? Are they available to view anywhere, ever?

5. Lola says:

Disappointed but this seems like a series that was destined for cable tv. Something like FX? I feel horrible for SMG. She has the worst luck. Shame.

• Riley says:

It’s alright, she’s running a foodie business now and is still raising her children with Freddie Prinze Jnr… she probably could use the time off.

6. GeoDiva says:

Got to be a better place than NBC in the first place.

7. Ashley says:

Morons

8. andrew hass says:

Now that NBC has declined to move forward with Cruel Intentions maybe another network can pick it up.Plus maybe NBC wanted another network to pick up Cruel Intentions and that’s why they announced they weren’t moving forward with it now and not later when it might be too late for another network to pick it up.

9. Robberey says:

The pilot was more or less a reimagination of Cruel Intentions 2, what was persumed a series named Manchester Prep. Catherine just went to be what was the stepmother than, Sebastian’s son takes the place of his father and Catherines stepdaughter took her place. Not more, not less. Just a modern take on the same idea. And although they say, it was well received, it was just not good.

10. KLS says:

As per another site, these are NBC’s mid-season shows that edged out production of CI:
    Taken, Powerless, Trial & Error, Midnight, Texas, Great News, Marlon and The Blacklist: Redemption, as well as returning seasons of The Carmichael Show and Shades of Blue.

11. Steven says:

I knew NBC shouldn’t have been trusted with this. If it doesn’t move forward I hope they release or leak the pilot so fans can see it.

12. J says:

Netflx perhaps?!

13. Joe Hankins says:

I was really looking forward to them bringing Cruel intentions back. I really hope it finds a new home. Maybe Netflix has a spot open and they can bring it back.

14. RJR says:

Come on guys…a good decadent wallow is always good to watch! I have to say that this was one show I was truly looking forward to. But I’ll agree with everyone else and hope that it will be picked up by one of the cable networks, which will give producers the freedom to do more with it.

15. Pamela says:

Love smg but I hope no one buys this show. I would like to see her in something better.

16. Cas says:

I just want SMG on my tv screen again…

17. BlittleU says:

This could be a good fit for Freeform. With PLL ending, and most of their shows tanking, they are in dire need of a hit. With a built in fanbase, Cruel Intentions should be able to clear Freeform’s low bar….if the show is not complete garbage.

18. Twana says:

Yes I’m devastated! I really wanted to see this. Really NBC?

19. Jared S says:

They could have aired it during summer. It would’ve been a good fit with other guilty pleasure shows like UnReal. Or just sell the show to a network that can do it justice. Cruel Intentions should not be a network friendly show – if done correctly.

20. parstl says:

ABC did this already. ..Revenge.

21. Brad says:

I literally just dropped the F bomb out loud as I read this. In the 6tg avenue L train subway station.

But seriously. W. T. F.

Poor SMG

22. Paula says:

I was so hoping this pilot would be greenlit. But not at NBC! Think it would fare much better on Netflix or Amazon. I just love SMG!

23. Jaden says:

This needs to happen. So Netflix PICK IT UP, please! Sarah’s a legend and her portrayal of Kathryn Merteuil is iconic. It’s a sure fire hit.

24. matty says:

To me this would seem to be tailor made for a streaming service like Hulu or Netflix.

25. Japp says:

This is actually great news for the fans who were looking forward to this reboot. It would totally fail in NBC or any other broadcast network. It´s unlikely it would even get a full season order. Whereas a straight to series order from Netflix (or a cable network) would make everyone happy and make it possible for the series to be as racy as the movie.

26. Not devastated – maybe they could rethink their decision on Grimm!

27. dan says:

get this on cable and make it the sexy show it deserves to be, hahaha. Wouldn’t lifetime pick this up?

28. chadcronin says:

I was really looking forward to this so I hope it does find a new home!

29. I love Cruel Intentions..but i don’t think it could be good on NBC..this is something more for cable..more for Netflix!