Chicago Med Spoilers

Ratings: Great Indoors Has Good Start, Chicago Med Hits Season High

CBS’ The Great Indoors debuted on Thursday to 8.8 million total viewers and a 1.9 demo rating (per finals), matching Life in Pieces‘ year-ago performance in the 8:30 time slot (7.9 mil/1.9) while demonstrating slightly stronger retention (56 vs. 51 percent) out of The Big Bang Theory.

Opening the Eye’s night, Big Bang drew 14.3 mil/3.4, down a tick from its most recent, Monday outing, and off three tenths from its year-ago Thursday numbers.

Mom (7 mil/1.5) matched its previous season opener, the relocated Life in Pieces (6 mil/1.4) dropped 30 percent in the demo from its freshman average and Pure Genius (6.2 mil/1.0) was on par with both Elementary‘s year-ago premiere (5.6 mil/1.1) and its final Thursday outing (5.6 mil/1.0).

Elsewhere on the night….

ABC | Grey’s (8.2 mil/2.2) ticked up, Notorious (3.8 mil/0.8) dipped and HTGAWM (4.1 mil/1.2) was steady.

THE CW | A terrific episode of Legends of Tomorrow (1.8 mil/0.6) nonetheless dipped a tenth, while Supernatural (1.7 mil/0.6) added a few eyeballs.

FOX | Rosewood (3.4 mil/0.8) and Pitch (2.9 mil/0.8) matched their most recent numbers.

NBC | Superstore (4.2 mil/1.3) rose 30 percent, while The Good Place (3.9 mil/1.2), Chicago Med (7.1 mil/season high of 1.5) and Blacklist (5.5 mil/1.2) all ticked up.

1. Kevin K says:

If only CBS would’ve move Elementary back on Thursdays.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Why?

• Kevin K says:

Stop asking me WHY? Such a hypocrite.

• BrightLight says:

Don’t feed the troll, man.

In other news, I was pleasant surprised by Pure Genius. It made me wonder if they technology they used in the episode actually existed or not. As for The Great Indoors, I might have enjoyed it more had I not seen all the jokes in the promos so I’ll give it another shot or two. I had the same issue last year with Life in Pieces and it ended up being one of my fave new shows.

• Nero tTVfiddler says:

CBS has a process in place, even though we may not like the process, the theory of their programming strategy. They cannot introduce new series into the 10pm Sunday night slot – too much cable competition. So, CBS moves existing shows nearing the end of their runs (CSI, Elementary, etc.) into that Sunday slot to run as long as they can until the end. CBS hope existing viewers will follow the shows as they move. Elementary is a prime example.

The 10pm slots on Monday-Thursday are often reserved for new series, ‘hammocked’ behind a group of strong performers who can bring a new audience to their new shows. Pure Genius is one of these new shows. The hope is TBBT->Pieces will provide an audience that will stick around to sample Pure Genius.

Elementary cannot go back to Thursdays at 10pm… it might go to Fridays, but that’s the all that is left. It’s the nature of the business.

• KLS says:

Friday is out, at least until Tom Selleck says no to Blue Bloods. I would have agreed about your Sunday strategy, but I think the competition is at 9, not 10. Besides, NCIS:LA’s success is blowing that all up this season anyway. CBS has only got Wed&Th @10 to play with new dramas.

• ronlake28 says:

Kevin, maybe you should try water painting.

• TV Gord says:

Yes, Matt! Stop asking Kevin K why! Trolls must not be challenged!!!

• KLS says:

Elementary is safe and useful where it is at Sun @10. It holds down the slot until local news at 11. It also already has a huge syndication deal, so it’s good for the year. Thurs is very volatile right now. I am sure CBS knows that TGIT is vulnerable and was hoping that a new show might take advantage of that.

2. herman1959 says:

It was a great night for guest stars – Josh Peck on Pitch and Brett Butler on HTGAWM. I’m looking forward to seeing more of them.

3. Nero tTVfiddler says:

… and also guest star Adam Scott on The Good Place as Trevor, head of ‘The Bad Place’, and arch nemesis to The Good Place’s Michael (Ted Danson).

I have to say, that show, The Good Place, is so charming and fun. It is not, perhaps, laugh out loud funny, but still a fun, charming, well written and acted show.

4. Scott says:

Im very surprised with pure genius ratings, in fact im surprised with 10pm thursday timeslot, used to be a win easy for abc, but at least last night all shows did the same. Lets see how pure genius does against, HTGAWM and The Blacklist, next week, since this week was premiere, so people may have tune just to watch it.

5. Iakovos says:

INDOORS is a better match for BIG BANG. Makes for a more cohesive hour. MOM and LIFE IN PIECES seem to fit better together, too. I am not sure ABC is happy this fall. GREY’S is surprisingly strong in Year 13 (!?!?!) but NOTORIOUS is a flop and HTGAWM just seems silly after its Season 1 mystery. Am not sure SCANDAL can save the night anymore. We shall see.

6. Dizzle says:

Is there any hope of The Good Place getting a back–nine order? It seems to be doing pretty good in the ratings (for NBC, on a Thursday, with CBS sitcoms in competition) and is one of the best comedies on network TV right now. I don’t want it to end after only 13 episodes!

• I think they knew going in it was only going to be 13 episodes and that’s how they planned the season. Maybe Season 2 will have more episodes. I guess it depends on Kristen Bell.

• Nero tTVfiddler says:

I do hope Good Place is back for a Season 2, although from what I have read, a back nine is not in the cards. Kristen Bell shines on this show… I hope she and Danson and the gang (and Adam Scott too!) all come back for a second season.

In a sense, the show almost has an Alice in Wonderland meets Lost meets Its a Wonderful Life vibe, and Bell is very winning and winsome as ‘the Alice’ lost between the good and the bad. Very clever concept for a TV comedy series, and executed very well. Pros…this show is loaded, front and back, with professionals at the top of their game.

Maybe, there still is hope for new ideas to shine on a comedy series on broadcast television.

7. Vic Osario says:

Great American Indoors I will not be watching again. Not one laugh! The worst new comedy. CbS should drop this turkey before Thanksgiving. LOVe
    MOM, Big Bang and Life in Pieces

8. Yay for Superstore! I am so glad that it’s doing pretty well.

And I love that Greys is still doing well. I wish How to Get Away With Murder was doing better. It’s great this year.

9. Katherine215 says:

I really wish more people would watch Pitch. Such a good show and it’s getting lost on Fox.

• Ally Oop says:

I’m very leary about getting into new shows on FOX. They seem to have unrealistic expectations for ratings for their dramas and too many good shows with okay ratings have been cancelled. Not every new show can get Empire ratings.

• TV Gord says:

I watch it On Demand. I hope it gets counted somewhere.

10. liame says:

Pure Genius was really boring, the technology is intriguing but the actors trying to sell it have zero chemistry. Too bad Dermot is being wasted on this mess.

11. Boiler says:

Maybe Elementary should go to ABC as it is beating their dramas. Like the show and the actors and hopefully sticks around. Still don’t know how ABC programming head still has her job after stupid decisions she made. And we will see how Pure Genius plays out I guess

12. luke says:

The Big Bang Theory episode came in at 18 min and 37 sec. A new low… if there is one more season, we might see 15 min of show and 15 min of commercials for a 30 min sitcom.

• TV Gord says:

The Canadian website’s time shows it as 18:24. Getting close to 12 minutes of commercials and promos. I remember when entire hours had that much ad/promo time. I guess that makes me old.

13. Ally Oop says:

Grey’s Anatomy is the only must-see tv for me on Thursday. I also watch Big Bang Theory and The Good Place but if they were cancelled tomorrow I wouldn’t shed a tear. I haven’t gotten to Pitch yet and the episodes are piling up on my DVR but ratings are subpar so I’m gonna wait to see if they get a full season before I start watching.

14. Adam says:

The show was OK could have been better if they had casted someone other than McLovin. I am guessing they chose hem because of his social media followers certainly not becaus of his acting skills.

15. kmw says:

Well good for NBC’S night but poor Rosewood and Pitch although I suppose it could have been worse. Good for Grey’s for being so steady