Supernatural Series Finale

Supernatural Stars Jared Padalecki, Jensen Ackles: 'It Would Be an Honor' If Eric Kripke Returned for Series Finale

It is a truth universally acknowledged that there is no end in sight for Supernatural. But one day, long after all other shows have perished, the long-running drama will have to wrap up. And whenever that time comes, stars Jensen Ackles and Jared Padalecki hope their former boss, creator Eric Kripke, will return to pen the series finale.

“I don’t like to say, ‘When the show ends,’ because the show’s not going to end,” Padalecki tells TVLine. “But when the show does start to wrap down, I would love to see Eric come back and give his opinion. Because he created us in the first place, so it would be an honor.”

Ackles echoes the sentiment, saying, “It would be a nice little bow on top of the whole thing [to] have Eric take us out.”

But is the busy producer, who departed as showrunner six years ago and is now behind the NBC drama Timeless, interested in revisiting his former stomping grounds when the CW series bids farewell?

“When I’m 90?” Kripke jokingly responds.

“I do fantasize that it would be great to at least come in and be a co-writer of the finale, whenever that would be,” Kripke adds. “But obviously that depends on what [executive producer] Bob Singer wants, what [co-showrunner] Andrew Dabb wants [and] what I’m doing at the time. But yes, the idea of it would be cool, if possible.”

Speaking of co-writers, Ackles has just one request: “As long as it’s not Jared, I’m OK with it.”

Supernatural fans, if someday, somehow, the show ever ends, do you hope Kripke will return to write another “Swan Song”?

1. Jason says:

The only thing I really care about seeing before the show ends is the return of Charlie. I often ask myself how I can love a show but spend so much time mad at it. Whatever the case, I’m sure I’ll be there to the bitter end. Even if that’s a decade from now.

2. maermae says:

Eric coming back for the finale would be amazing. Jared is right – he created the characters, the world. Supernatural is his in every sense of the word. I just hope to god Dabb does not get the honor of closing out the series. It would be an utter mess & the show deserves better.

3. Missy says:

Assuming Kripke has kept abreast of important things. To keep my brain, that loves continuity, sane. I’d be more than thrilled to have our fearless creator back to pen the series finale, in 25yrs. LOL

4. Jim says:

I was doing the math, and Dean is 37 now, right? And Sam is 33? I definitely want the show to at least go long enough that we get jokes about a 40 year old Dean Winchester.

• Jim says:

In the season premiere Dean said Mary had been dead 33 years and he was 4 when she died, and Sam of course was a baby, right?

5. Ninamags says:

Oh, he definitely has to come back. He has to let us know how this all ends.

Anything else would be unacceptable. The former showrunners have had different levels of success.

Please come back and finish it up, Kripke. Sooner, rather than later.

6. Jared and I are the same age. I’ll watch this show until we are both dead.

7. Kripke.. ” if possible.” OH COME ON! IT IS POSSIBLE!

8. Carrie says:

It’s a cool idea to have him do the finale, but I don’t even want to think about the show ending.

9. Jane says:

Jared and Jensen have to stay long enough for their kids to step in and take over hunting. Jared, currently, has two boys and Jensen has a little girl and twins on the way. Misha has a son and I think a daughter. After all it is the family business.

10. Brenda Todd says:

Absolutely if Eric is available if and when the time comes he should be involved in the Supernatural finale.I think whatever the plan would be including Eric would make it better.

11. Bryan says:

I’ve been watching the show since it started the characters ages are the exact same as mine and my brothers we both watch the show we both love the show I hope it goes on forever the mythology is so rich and I love all the characters to death.

12. RowdyBug says:

As long as they climb in the Impala on another hunting trip and fade to black I don’t care who writes it!

13. I would like to break down on a back road and have Sam stop and help me . He is Sexy as all hell.

14. Gift says:

I’m crazy about these show but come-on I still want to see romance. Sam and Dean are not going to die alone are they?

15. nora says:

Where does the show find all this witch craft stuff? Getting to the point that its so sattttttttttttanic that I’m turning the volume off when y’all start speaking spells cha its coming into my home and it is very real and people don’t realize that they r really conjuring up demons. And people are really clueless about this stuff.

• Jonathan Peiczarek says:

Are you insane? It’s a TV show that makes up lines for spells THAT AREN’T REAL! it’s MAKE BELIEVE….I’m a Christian and I know the difference between what is real and what is not. Separate the two. Protestants have a way of making EVERYTHING of the world and Satanic. News Flash: you can love God and worship him, and have a normal healthy life outside of worship as long as it doesnt go against your faith which I get, but I’ll reiterate for you once again and then maybe you’ll understand and not be fooled by the blind rhetoric of what is the protestant juggernaut. THIS IS THE ART FORM CALLED ACTING!! It is and has been around for thousands of years and it is nothing more than people portraying characters in a script. It is not meant to be taken literally as the truth nor meant to be taken seriously…..It is fake….fake spells, fake knives, fake blood, fake everything…..only a demented mind cannot tell difference. It may not be what you’d watch during Sunday school but it’s not meant for that now is it??!! It’s called E-N-T-E-R-T-A-I-N-M-E-N-T. It’s for that and NOTHING MORE! On a closing note, if this show with it’s material heaped in Judaio christian material converted even one lost soul by accident just because it’s the first some people in this world who’s home life and parents NEVER raised their children with knowledge of ANY faith, and this is the vessel that brought out to their attention then so be it. Let them then go and find out the truth about the real faith and follow it and their hearts. In the meantime please learn to separate fiction from reality. This is nothing more than an elaborate theatrical play just like all those that have come before it for thousands of years only this has cameras and a telivised broadcast. So it reaches the masses and I’m glad, for if it makes even one person contemplate that there is a God when they might have otherwise led a life with no first hand knowledge of this Christian God then kudos to it for doing so. As we watch it ‘we’ the viewers know that the witches and the conjuring is evil, and they are the “BAD GUYS”. So please before you condemn something try to understand the context in which it’s meant to be viewed in. Thank you Jon P.

16. V.Gonzales says:

It would be awsome to have Kricket just keep writing on for Supernatural, so why mess with a good thing. We want more, I would like to see Jo brought back just for Dean so they could have that time they didn’t get to have. And let them battle evil together and have a kid. And have God and his sister put Lucifer on check.