Ratings: Designated Survivor Hit Hardest by Strong World Series

ABC’s Designated Survivor sustained the most damage this Wednesday with the World Series in full swing, slipping 15 and 25 percent to 6 million total viewers and a 1.2 demo rating (per finals), losing the 1o o’clock hour to Chicago P.D. for the first time this season.

On the sitcom side, The Goldbergs (6.1 mil/1.8), Speechless (5.8 mil/1.7) and Modern Family (7.3 mil/2.3) and black-ish (5.8 mil/1.7) each dipped one tenth.

Fox’s coverage of the aforementioned World Series match-up drew 17.4 million viewers and a 4.8 rating, up 26 percent year-over-year to mark the best Game 2 numbers since 2009.

Elsewhere opposite the Fall Classic….

THE CW | Arrow (1.9 mil/0.7) ticked up from last week’s series lows, while Frequency (990K/0.3) was steady.

NBC | Blindspot (5.2 mil/1.1) and Chicago PD (5.8 mil/1.3) each dipped a tenth, with the former hitting series lows, while SVU (5.9 mil/1.5) ticked up.

CBS | Survivor (8.3 mil/1.9) was steady, while Criminal Minds (7.7 mil/1.6) and Code Black (5.7 mil/1.0) each dipped a tenth, with the latter hitting and tying series lows.

1. Kevin K says:

YES! YES! YES! Cubs even the series.

2. Iakovos says:

NBC might want to reconsider moving BLINDSPOT to its Monday time period. Or set the series in Chicago. CBS’ CODE BLACK is a good show although I miss some of the Season 1 characters. Like the addition of Rob Lowe. MODERN FAMILY and BLACKISH rock.

• Kevin K says:

Who knows if Blindspot should have the same predicament Revolution did back in the 2013-14 TV season.

• KLS says:

Moving Blindspot to Wed@8 was a big risk, but it was wasting it’s strong Voice lead-in on Mon@10 by the end of last season. Re-setting it in Chicago would do no good either. The show should be on @9, but there aren’t any slots open on NBC. Personally, I think it is straying away from it’s uniqueness (Jane’s tattoos) and turning into just another FBI conspiracy show.

• Penny says:

I agree that Blindspot needs to be moved if it wants to succeed. It’s a little dark for an 8pm time slot in my opinion.

3. kmw says:

Well at least FOX has baseball and Empire and Lethal Weapon. Wow DS sure took a hit that’s too bad but it is still doing better than Nashville did there. Poor Blindspot NBC made a huge mistake putting it in that timeslot even if some of the drop was baseball related

4. Shaun says:

Ouch,Frequency is a pretty good show.Shame on you all!

• Ann says:

I’m really enjoying Frequency. It’s a shame not more people are watching it! I just hope that there is a resolution in case it gets cancelled. It would enter the pantheon of great shows that only lasted one season.

• Doug Henning says:

It is a terrific little show that should have appeal to older viewers like me who are enjoying it. Time flip-flop shows are a tougher to watch but this show is easier to follow than This is Us.. But CW is a tough spot for older viewers to find and last night had tough competition. CW is usually pretty good on little shows play out..

• Brian says:

Its been the best timey wimey show this fall. So much better than ‘Timeless’. Peyton List is wonderful as the lead.

5. dan says:

Code Black was great last night! It was an intense episode from beginning to end with some surprising plot twists (which I won’t spoil). Rob Lowe was terrific (the last thing I liked him in was “St. Elmo’s Fire” which says more about our ages than his acting ability) and I’m liking the discord between Boris Kodjoe’s character and just about everybody else. As usual, Marcia Gay Harden was great. I didn’t expect to like this season and I wasn’t sure I would watch it, but so far I’m pleasantly surprised (which means it’ll probably be cancelled soon).

• I agree. I always watch it on the CBS app the next day so I watched last night’s episode today. I was very impressed. I’ll admit that I was worried about the changes coming into this season, but they have been good for the show. I’ll be very disappointed if it’s canceled.

6. Boiler says:

FOX struck gold with the Cubs in the series. Someone tell me again why Mysteries of Laura cancelled? And yea Designated Survivor doing better than Nashville but Nashville did better than about 1/2 the ABC dramas right now, at least in viewers which is the real popularity of a show.

7. N says:

I watched Rectify

8. Jim says:

Could be Designated Survivor slipped because it isn’t turning out to be a well written show. I know I gave it up as of last night. Ah well. Great idea, awful, awful execution.

• ronlake28 says:

Jim, have you any clue what is the meaning of the word awful? Designated Survivor, in not a single category of its production, is worthy of such a comment. You’re criticism is highly suspect.

• Gina says:

Pls don’t kill me, but I feel the same. It could have been a good show –it was a good idea that hasn’t panned out. The debut was wonderful, but episode by episode it has slipped, and now it’s unwatchable–I adore Keifer, but I will not be missing this show.

• ronlake28 says:

Gina, let’s say you are reading a book that has a good first chapter but then uses the next few chapters to add in the lives of some other characters; would you chuck the book just because it isn’t as compelling as the first chapter or would you continue to read believing it has the the ingredients to be one of the best books you’ve ever read? Give the show a chance to grow and if Keifer’s character grows a pair we just might have something there.

9. Brian says:

I think the fact that ‘Designated Survivor’ isn’t that good of a show may have just as much to do with its sinking numbers as the World Series. Such a great cast is such an utterly mediocre mess of a show is a real shame. Keifer,Kal, Natacsha, Italia, Maggie, and the wonderful Virgina Madsen are all better than this trash heap.

• ronlake28 says:

Brian, mediocre mess? Trash heap? Are you for real? Give the show a chance to tell its story; you are too trigger happy! Put away you’re poison keyboard and give the show the time to grow.