Pure Genius Recap

Pure Genius Premiere: Does CBS' Hospital-Tech Drama Have a Pulse?

If an Apple store had a child with a hospital and then cranked up the translucency, it might look like CBS’ super teched-up medical drama Pure Genius.

With its emphasis on “oh, wow!” gizmos and science, it might surprise you to learn that the new series hails from creator Jason Katims (Parenthood, Friday Night Lights). While it’s hardly the kind of emotional roller coaster we’ve come to expect from the producer, Thursday’s premiere does bring on some feels. In an emotionally charged moment, Silicon Valley wunderkind billionaire James Bell (played by The Borgias‘ Augustus Prew) transports a man suffering with a rare disease to his private, state-of-the-art hospital and reveals that he, too, has the illness. Suddenly, the reason why James cares so much about medical innovation becomes as clear as his translucent gadgets.

Pure Genius RecapThe young genius recruits “cowboy” surgeon Dr. Walter Wallace (Shameless‘ Dermot Mulroney), who was discharged from his previous job, to serve as Bunker Hill Hospital’s chief of staff. The rest of the team is rounded out by Dr. Zoe Brockett (House‘s Odette Annable), “the reality police” to James’ reach-for-the-impossible optimism; neurosurgeon Dr. Talaikha Channarayapatra (Royal Pains‘ Reshma Shetty); Dr. Malik Verlaine (Meet the Browns‘ Aaron Jennings), a former gang-banger who oversees a nifty computer program that monitors health in poor neighborhoods; neurologist Dr. Scott Strauss (One Life to Live‘s Ward Horton); and 3-D printer whiz Angie Cheng (The Suite Life on Deck‘s Brenda Song).

Naturally, what gets lost among the docs with all of the next-gen technology — in lieu of a photo ID, Dr. Wallace gets a full-body scan upon arrival — is communication and social skills. Case in point: James likes Zoe, but she appears to be clueless about her boss’ feelings. Meanwhile, he doesn’t realize that he’s been calling Angie by the wrong name.

When it comes to TV these days, medical dramas are a dime a dozen, but Pure Genius‘ technological marvels are something shiny and new as they ride that thin line between “impossible, but not out of reach” and “just plain crazy.” Time will tell if they become reality — and if that glimmer of emotion from James at the end of the pilot will evolve into a strong, trademark Katims heartbeat to match the show’s slick appearance.

What do you think of Pure Genius? Grade it via the poll below, then hit the comments to back up your pick.

1. Daya says:

The technology is truly mindblowing. (And the “shelf of heroes” was cute!)

2. datdudemurphy says:

Lots of shiny…..
    Not sure what I was expecting, but this wasn’t really it.

3. Jim says:

Sterile. DOA.

4. Sonny says:

I always watch Pilots of new programs and sometimes after 20-30 minutes I turn it off and say “oh, well” maybe they will have a new program that is good. I have to say this one I liked a lot. Not only is it for geeks like me it has a lot of promise. Made me wonder why our medical field wasn’t so open minded. Great show!

5. Kevin K says:

I give Pure Genius a C. Terrible concept.

6. jj says:

Haven’t watch it yet. Don’t expect much. But I will try watching simply for the fact that Dermot Mulroney is in it.

7. Ro says:

I only saw bits and pieces… but the quirky guy was a bit annoying. I’ll give it a chance. (I prefer the quirkiness on Elementary or NUMB3RS).

8. Pat says:

I really enjoyed it. The technology for me was mind blowing. I will continue to watch it but unfortunately, I have to DVR and watch it the next day.

9. John says:

Interesting first episode, glad set the groundwork and explained James relationship to medical condition. Will depend on the future character development and story lines to see how this plays with the other medical shows out there. I am liking Chicago Med and way NBC plays and intertwines the trilogy together.

10. Cheryl Naylor says:

It’s Pure Genius to have a program like this one. Great acting. A show that uses the mind to make it interesting. No vulgar language. No blood spraying all over. First show and noone was “f……” no zombies. I think it will be a great show. Hope it lasts as long as Star Trek and NCIS. you really chose good actors.

11. Cheryl Naylor says:

It’s Pure Genius to have a program like this one. Great acting. A show that uses the mind to make it interesting. No vulgar language. No vilance. no zombies. I think it will be a great show. Hope it lasts as long as Star Trek and NCIS. you really chose good actors.

12. Cheryl says:

Seriously the best show I’ve ever seen! I loved how inspiring it was! “We gonna do something!” Loved it made me feel like being alive :) because isn’t that what gets results money! But not just money intelligence brilliance put those two together and you can make change! You can evolve!

13. Sharon Hodkiewicz says:

Actors need to take medical terminology to know how to pronounce medical words correctly. Re: .EMT suffering a heart attack. Troponin is pronounced [troh-puh-nin]

14. Lora says:

Is it only me or James Bell is not very likeable?

15. Robert Gillespie says:

Pure genius shows what unlimited funding could do. No we waste money on wars.

16. , says:

How can I watch the pilot

17. Kay Boston says:

I like technology but was disturbed that the character who was a professing Christians was characterized as abusive to his wife. This is the standard left-wing propaganda without every examining the abuse that happens by those are not Christian. I suspect if the true stats are check the % is higher. Certainly Christians are human and commit sin but so do other groups even those on the left or those who are atheist. Many on the left go after conservatives for stereotyping yet aren’t they guilty of the same.

18. Debbie says:

It keeps holding my interest. It sticks to the patients and does not revolve whole show with love interests between the staff. It’s ok to have some but the storyline should be about the people brought into bunker hill. I feel the technology in the show makes it even more interesting. I would love to see another season

19. Kathi J Gardner says:

Not a bad series, love the over-the-top technology. My issue is with casting. Just can’t buy Augustus Prew in this role – he seems like an amateur in a cast of professionals. Have watched every episode, but think I’ve seen enough. Actors make or break a series in this genre, & I’d prefer to use my limited time with Code Black, where casting is excellent.

20. Dianne Vaug says:

I think CBS should do their best to save Pure Genus. It’s one of the best new shows this season. Maybe change the time slot and promote it more. Save this show.

21. Jamie says:

I love this show it’s the most genius show on TV… not far fetched at all! Please please don’t cancel!!!

22. Jamie says:

Pure Genius is smart writing, excellent technology, powerful storylines… awseome acting, give the show a chance to grow! You won’t find another TV show that values life as much as this one does!

23. David Cole says:

This could be the new star trek, the show that finally got us to cell phones and talking computers. If the network is smart enough they could be the door to new medical break through
    events just like star trek, just give the show time to develop, it is really great; and I am 78 years old.

24. Roy Weddle says:

The maniac writers of today lose me and turn me against writers when they push blacks onto whites
    Sick!