Star Trek Bryan Fuller

Star Trek: Discovery: Bryan Fuller to Step Down as Showrunner

Star Trek: Discovery is boldly moving forward without Bryan Fuller at the helm.

TVLine has confirmed that Fuller, who is exec-producing the CBS All Access reboot, will no longer serve as showrunner.

Our sister site Variety first reported the news.

While Fuller will still break stories, and his vision will still guide the series as it moves forward, EPs Aaron Harberts and Gretchen Berg will take over showrunning duties. In addition, Akiva Goldsman (Fringe) reportedly will join the series in a high level role.

After the news broke, Fuller took to Twitter to give Harberts and Berg his blessing:

The move will likely be received harshly among Trekkies, many of whom viewed Fuller — whose history with the franchise dates back two decades to Star Trek: Deep Space Nine — as the quintessential choice to shepherd the latest incarnation.

Per Variety, Fuller and CBS Television Studios, which produces the series, had experienced some tension regarding the progress of production while Fuller also handles Starz’s American Gods and NBC’s Amazing Stories reboot.

“We are extremely happy with the creative direction of Star Trek: Discovery and the strong foundation that Bryan Fuller has helped us create for the series,” CBS TV said via statement. “Due to Bryan’s other projects, he is no longer able to oversee the day-to-day of Star Trek, but he remains an executive producer, and will continue to map out the story arc for the entire season. Alex Kurtzman, co-creator and executive producer, along with Fuller’s producing partners and longtime collaborators, Gretchen Berg and Aaron Harberts, will also continue to oversee the show with the existing writing and producing team. Bryan is a brilliant creative talent and passionate Star Trek fan, who has helped us chart an exciting course for the series. We are all committed to seeing this vision through and look forward to premiering Star Trek: Discovery this coming May 2017.”

Fuller’s change in status was perhaps foreshadowed last month when CBS announced that the reboot— initially set to bow in January CBS before moving exclusively to CBS All Access. — was being delayed until May due to the project’s huge production demands. In a statement at the time, Fuller and fellow EP Alex Kurtzman said, “Bringing Star Trek back to television carries a responsibility and mission: to connect fans and newcomers alike to the series that has fed our imaginations since childhood. We aim to dream big and deliver, and that means making sure the demands of physical and post-production for a show that takes place entirely in space, and the need to meet an air date, don’t result in compromised quality. Before heading into production, we evaluated these realities with our partners at CBS and they agreed: Star Trek deserves the very best, and these extra few months will help us achieve a vision we can all be proud of.”

1. Steven says:

Definitely not a good sign.

2. leftword says:

Harberts & Berg are very capable and will do a good job. It’s the Akiva of it all that is troublesome. Self important windbag who will get in the way of any sort of progress just to hear himself speak.

3. Gregory House. says:

Horrible news.
    Expectations massively reduced because of this.

4. Degra says:

I was t thrilled with Fuller as show runner. But I’m also not thrilled with Harbarts and especially GoldsmAn whose work on the mediocre Fringe was awful The studio needs to scrap Discovery and start over with a series set in the 25th century with new show runners besides these people they need smart writers not gimmicky weak writing skills

• Big Mike says:

Fringe was certainly anything but mediocre.

• Degra says:

You’re right it was borderline awful with its off the wall sci fi notions that were even out there for sci fi, it’s awful romantic angst, it’s uneven storytelling, the weak acting and its disappointing wrap up

I prefer solid writing than cutesy gimmicks. Give me a sci if series like Star Trek THe Next Generation with skilled writers like the late Michael Piller, Ron Moore, Maurice Hurley, and even Brannon Braga who at the time was at its best. Yes his writing would decline on Enterprise but here was his heyday

The last thing Star Trek needs are the likes of “writers” like Orci, Kurtzman, lindelof etc.

• Big Mike says:

I love TNG. Also was a big fan of Fringe. If you really hated it that much, why did you watch it? Conversely, if you didn’t watch it because you disliked it, how did you wind up having such strong feelings towards the show?
          Walter Bishop is one of the best TV characters of the last 20 years, and I’m not alone in that opinion.

• Dan says:

Definitely not alone. I loved Fringe as well and Walter is easily in the top 10 of my favorite sci-fi characters of all time.

• Temperance says:

Then you didn’t watch Fringe, obviously.

• militantgod says:

There’s nothing worse than these superiority complex sci-fi fans who think they know what true sci-fi is or what it should be. Go get off your couch and write a novel Master.

• Degra says:

I find that argument flawed. I don’t need to be a writer. I’m a viewer and all that matters to me is–does the shoe have interesting characters, does the show have solid actors and are the plotlines entertaining and well written.

I don’t need to be a writer to determine that. And for me Fringe was lacking. Yes it appeals to a niche audience but all kinds of weak shows have a fanbase. Still doesn’t make it great. You’re free to love it but allow others to fairly criticize it

• dean says:

Novel writing is actually done on the couch.

• Temperance says:

Fringe was phenomenal. I’m not sure what you were watching. You probably just didn’t get it.

• Temperance says:

Sorry, misread your post.

• Degra says:

No offense but Fringe wasn’t deep or sophisticated material A third grader could get it with its weak writing. It simply was bland and not very interesting. If the only thing people in this thread can point out as outstanding is a single character that says it all.

• Temperance says:

Nonsense. Complete nonsense.

• Eric says:

I loved Fringe but it wasn’t a perfect show either. There are legitimate criticisms of it. However comparing it to third grade level writing is not one. In one way it was superior to Star Trek: commitment. When they introduced a parallel universe they stuck with it. When they change the timeline the did not change it back. There were consequences to characters actions. I have loved Star Trek for 40 years, but it’s greatest flaw is that they reset everything back by the end of the episode.

5. David Graf says:

Doesn’t really make much difference to me. I’m still not going to shell out more money each month just to watch a series. Put this on Netflix or Hulu.

• johnhelvete says:

CBS All Access (like Netflix or Hulu) is month to month, you dont have to subscribe for an entire year to watch one series. I recall going to the local video store to rent HBO series on DVD and paying at least two dollars per disc (at least 8 bucks) to rent an entire season of the Sopranos, 6 bucks to watch an entire season of TV does not seem completely unreasonable.

• Sara says:

No, but seeing as how they will be releasing an episode a week, you will still end up having to get multiple months worth to see the whole series. It won’t be a full season drop like Amazon or Netflix.

• Eva says:

Unless you wait until the season is over and only pay then, once. They’re not going to be deleting episodes after a week. You can still binge on it, just a bit later.

6. PatriciaLee says:

Dream big means network free Tv to get LOTS of numbers. This makes no sense. It sounds like a quickie, to sell something else.

7. Jim says:

There goes roughly 98% of my enthusiasm for the project. Not buoyed by the addition of a Fringe producer. That show was entertaining but not top quality television like Fuller produces.

8. Ka says:

Devastating.

9. Disappointed_In_Shameless_EP says:

ANd that show just became 90% less interesting – Sorry CBS – the little chance you had to make me PAY to watch just one show is now gone

10. Sara says:

I was actually considering signing up for this service because of how much I love Bryan Fuller and wanted to see what he would do running a Star Trek series. This just made my decision to not pay for this service so easy.

11. tara17 says:

Soooooooooooooo disappointed. Doesn’t bode well.

12. Matt says:

Well if they try turn this into the jj films I won’t be watching. I had hope with fuller cause he was involved in the ds9 era. Trek was enjoyable then and had meaning the reboots are just action flicks with no meaning.

13. kljasdlajkds923u812083 says:

Annnnnd there’s the final nail

14. Gary Beisaw says:

J. J. Abrams reboot of Star Trek is an abomination; every serious trekker knows this. Replacing Bryan Fuller as the showrunnner of the delayed, new series is the death knell of of Trek. Shame on you.

• Jim says:

Okay yes the reboot is an abomination, but Trek wasn’t exactly doing great before it either. The last few movies and Enterprise were pretty poor (the latter had occasional good moments in its final season, but too little too late). The new series really needs a strong creative voice, an auteur, that really gets Trek and can put it back together. Seemed like Fuller was that person.

15. badgamer 1967 says:

I seem to remember back in the day a certain Gene Roddenberry was in charge of an abysmal first couple of seasons of TNG and then Rick Berman, love him or hate him, took over and took Trek to a new golden age. So I am for a wait and see approach. Also reminds me of the backlash original Battlestar fans had when Ron D Moore announced he reimaging the series and to this day it is still the best sci fi show ever made IMO. So until I see a few eps I reserve judgement.

16. Bark Star says:

Fuller had the gravity to counter all the Abrams/Kurzman incompetence. I hope the replacements will be able to do that as well.

17. dman6015 says:

Most definitely falls into the “This Is Not Good” category. Many people were looking forward to it BECAUSE of Fuller’s involvement. It’s still a mistake for CBS to put it on their All Access. I won’t be contributing to their bottom line, so I’ll wait until Netflix or Hulu or Amazon picks it up in “syndication”. The other possibility is that it does so horribly on All Access that CBS decides to put in back on broadcast TV (yeah, right). Hope you’re happy, Moon-unit.

18. E. D. Boddy says:

Fuller is wrong – Riker was quite ready for captaincy – he was offered is own command, but turned it down because he thought serving on the Enterprise would be more interesting.

19. bluepasj says:

Well, if he’s still an executive producer and the ones that took the helmet are his collaborators, and he set the foundation, I guess it can’t be much worse.