sherlock-season-4-premiere-date-pbs

Sherlock Season 4 Premiere Date Set

You can stop hunting for clues about when Sherlock will return to PBS’ Masterpiece: The series will kick off “The Six Thatchers” mystery on New Year’s Day — Sunday, Jan. 1, 2017.

As previously reported, the new episodes — featuring Moriarty’s return and Wayward Pines‘ Toby Jones as a new villain — may end up being the show’s last. As leading man Benedict Cumberbatch told the UK edition of GQ magazine, “it feels like the end of an era, to be honest.”

Even if Sherlock were to go on, its fourth season “goes to a place where it will be pretty hard to follow on immediately,” the actor added.

sherlock_violin_season-4

What do you think? If this is “it” for Sherlock, how would you like to see it end? Hit the comments.

1. xionxiv says:

About time!!

2. I don’t care how it ends, as long as nothing horrible happens to Mary. Look, we all love our Johnlock fanfics, but I have no desire to see Mary killed off. I am sick and tired of all the good female characters being killed off my television.

3. herman1959 says:

Toby Jones! Oh, yes, what a way to end the series.

4. Ron says:

I had been “clue-ing for looks” regarding this info! I’m glad it’s back! But, as much as I love the show, I think season 4 is a good place to end. Two years between seasons is a bit too long to sustain the show much longer and keep a good fan base. Made even worse that it was a THREE YEAR break between seasons 3 and 4.

• Ben says:

It’s never been a problem in the UK. There are different expectations there. They could make series 5 in 10 years and it wouldn’t be a problem.

5. Wanna bet it’ll be 2 or 3 weeks later on the Buffalo PBS station?

6. Edna says:

Finally!

7. asm says:

I thought moriarty is dead in the last special episode? I mean, confirmed dead.?

• Jillian says:

Well I mean, he did kill himself, but then if you remember there’s the whole “Did you miss me?” thing in the Abominable Bride (so sorry if I mispelled that). So we’re not sure if he’s alive or if it’s just his last final attack on sherlock from beyond the grave or something. Pretty sure it’s all in the christmas special :)

• El says:

I am still thinking that the Moriarty we saw was an actor, just not with Sherlock behind it… and the abominable bride does support that theory. After all, the bride was created by a group of women. Could Moriarty be created by someone or something else?

8. PatriciaLee says:

Always ready for the next adaptation!

9. El says:

I have been looking these things up about Sherlock being cancelled. At first I just saw them mostly on rumor sites, and most of them are still rumors. I wouldn’t bother worrying about it, because the actors and writers haven’t even confirmed the end of the series will be season 4. Still, I recommend preparing yourselves, just in case, because it will be a great loss to all of us. The odds right now are probably (and I am just estimating) 35-40% of the show ending for season 4. Here is my reasoning behind those odds, and these are a rough estimation/pure guess. The reasons are, A.) rumors on sites, B.) the actors are becoming major actors and have been appearing in many other movies and not just Sherlock over the last few years or so, C.) they are becoming older, and D.) it is a lot of time to film and a lot of BBC shows I have seen over the years ended after a 5th or 6th season. Now, the extra percentage that is left out, the 65-60% part, is based on my reasoning that in most cases, if a TV show has a large enough audience, amazing reviews, and is still generating unique and original ideas then it stays, also if the actors and writers are having way to much fun with it, it is hard to let it end. So that is my reasoning. Hopefully, Sherlock season 4 will not be the last. I have also heard once again a rumor based on something Moffet has said, is that this might just be the last season and then there will be a big long vacation from the show, and then it will start again. Again, these are not hard facts, but from sites like Cineablend and other sites that I personally wouldn’t trust, so don’t perceive them as such.

10. Alex says:

Best TV series, I love Sherlock, really want to continue, I hope the creators of the series will be extended

11. AleX says: