Notorious Ratings

Notorious' Season 1 Order Cut at ABC

This is a Notoriously ominous sign.

ABC has cut the struggling freshman drama’s Season 1 order from 13 episodes to just 10, TVLine has learned. A network insider, however, maintains that the ratings-challenged series has not been cancelled. The source adds that all 10 episodes will air and the show remains in consideration for a second season.

As previously announced, Scandal will take back its Thursday-at-9 pm timeslot in January. The show’s sixth season was delayed as a result of star Kerry Washington’s real-life pregnancy.

Thoughts? Are you rooting for Notorious to buck the odds and make it to a second season? Or have you already checked out? Hit the comments!

1. fiberlicious says:

I like the show, but I won’t be devastated if it’s cancelled.

2. MMD says:

Not surprised.

3. Eric says:

“…the drama remains in consideration for a second season.”

Haha, okay. Sure it does. Wink.

• Chris says:

Typical cancelled show retcon. If a show I like has 6 episodes left and I know it’s not coming back and will possibly end on a cliffhanger, why bother?

• herman1959 says:

Called it! – I knew this show wouldn’t be around when Scandal came back. Denial of cancellations by the big networks has become a thing lately. We KNOW it’s cancelled, so why do they bother?

4. Christian says:

Will it have its finale on Thanksgiving? That would be quite an FU to the fans!

• Malachi says:

The fans that didn’t watch?

• Christian says:

Clearly, going by the comments here and the approximate 4 million viewers viewers that tune in live weekly. Leave snarky to the professionals; you’re bad at it.

• anon says:

A new show getting their episode order cut is the equivalent of your boss saying “Oh don’t worry about finishing X. How about you look at your desk and see if there’s anyhtning you can get rid of?”

5. Judith Nelson says:

Love this show. Think the relationship between the two main characters is refreshing and the
    stories have been more original and interesting than most shows of this type. Hopefully, it
    won’t be cancelled!!

6. leo says:

It’s too over the top. Hollywood needs to hire more better writers.

7. Diane Hirsch says:

I like this show a lot!! I’ve always liked Piper Perabo; the chemistry with the characters really works on this show! Good storylines and a welcome change from all the police shows.

8. Avery Kensington says:

It too bad, but this show was cursed from the get-go. It’s filmed in the sound stages where Castle shot their eight seasons and now it’s suffering from the #CastleCurse. #HauntedRaleighStudios #TheCurseofStages11and12

9. JoAnne Netrefa says:

Personally, I love the show. Piper and Daniel make it come to life and give us an inside look at two professions. I am thoroughly enjoying it.

10. Alisa says:

I actually really like this show. I like the way it’s set up with the case of the week, but then the big murder investigation going on in the background for the season. The actors are really good, I just wish they’d find a way for the secondary characters to be more interesting/relevant to the story than just being gophers for the main 2.

11. bnovarro says:

You know what else was kept “in consideration”? Pan Am, 666 Park Avenue, Last Resort, and Blood and Oil. I’m sure there are more. When your order gets cut it’s basically over.

12. Jared says:

When has a network cut a new series episode order and renewed it for a second season?? I’ll wait…

13. Red Snapper says:

I liked this show a lot more than I thought I would. Its much better than The Catch. I doubt it will be renewed though.

14. Deion says:

Tough. I can see how thise that watched the first episode might have been turned off, but it has really leveled out.

15. Scott says:

So I guess I should delete this off my DVR as I haven’t watched it this the pilot and have the episodes waiting to be watch. No point in getting invested.

16. Gerri says:

Nooo. I really am enjoying this show. Did they not want to try a different night? I don’t get why more people are not watching it.

17. MrMank says:

Was better than I first imagined. The chemistry between Perato and Sunjata is what really makes it work. Not surprised, given the ratings, but it was a solid effort.

18. Mama Venus says:

Sadly TV programmers schedule almost EVERYTHING on Thursday evenings…moving a straggling show to Sunday, Monday or Tuesdays would help immensely. Other than the VOICE, Madam Secretary and Big Bang Theory there is little competition. I feel strongly that this is one compelling reason This Is Us is doing okay. On Thursday it would have been a #deadShowWalking

19. wrstlgirl says:

Nice that I finally got one right for a change :-)

20. Carlie says:

Noooo

That said…I watch this show for Kate Jennings Grant, and Piper Perebo…not for the story…

21. witchn says:

figures, they have to make room for more reruns of csi…can’t have anything different around, muck up the status quo=mundane sos
    fed to the paying public

22. Tatia Boman says:

Crap! I really like this show. Please ABC move it to a different night; don’t cancel it.

• Kayla says:

Yes they need to move it to the spot where castle was that show is in its final season they can have that spot. Yes move it to a different night ABC!! Please don’t Cancel it I want a Second Season!!

23. Sherry says:

I really enjoy the show and really like the stars PLEASE DO NOT CANCEL A GREAT SHOW !!

24. Kevin K says:

Guess we won’t have to wait until Scandal returns in 2017 and trying to reinvent the series.

25. amber says:

Sure Jan.

26. T says:

I have enjoyed it more than I thought it would. I find it more entertaining than Conviction so it could move to that slot and see how it does.

27. H says:

We got 2016 first cancellation.

28. Dana Giannini says:

I love Notorious!

29. JM says:

I am addicted to this show so it’s definitely a guilty pleasure…as was Perabo’s last highly entertaining show, “Covert Affairs”. OK, so it’s a nighttime soap but it’s fun. I would be sorry to see it cut.

30. Angela Harris says:

I enjoy the show. Scandal is getting skip worthy on my TV. That would leave me with Grey’s Anatomy as the only Shondra show I watch and I’ve been watching that since Episode 1.

31. John NYC says:

As I couldn’t make it all the way through the trailer I’m not surprised. Liking both actors that was a disappointment. But even my Tivos have limits….

They should hold to that rumored commitment to air all the episodes: fans deserve that respect.

32. HAP says:

Feel sorry for Piper. I thoroughly enjoyed watching her through 75 episodes as Annie Walker on Covert Affairs which I thought was cancelled prematurely. And now this?

33. Valerie Tower says:

Major bummer! I love this show and its cast. What a huge disappointment ABC.

34. kmw says:

Cutting an episode order is never a good sign. Notorious dropping so badly after Grey’s is not what ABC wanted and I doubt it will get a second season

35. Leanne says:

Well that sucks. This is a really good show. Sure beats some others that’s still on.

36. Anne says:

While I like it, I hope this means a better chance for Conviction, which I’m enjoying more.

37. Kara says:

Means this show will most likely get cancelled.. :( .I hope conviction will be saved though :/

38. lisasride says:

Watch Pitch! It is so good!

39. CarolynGentleman says:

She was good in Covert Aaffairs but terrible in this show. Someone should tell her to walk normally and stop with the phony trying to be sexy walk. He is okay

40. Betti carp says:

Love the show. Absolutely brilliant
    Yes to season 2!

41. Notorious is a good showcase for Peribo and all I would add would be some active scenes with her doing some of the stunts she did in her last series.
    Didn’t expect to see her just as an executive.

42. Diane says:

Too bad! The show had potential../

43. jp says:

I did one better and stopped watching this a few weeks ago…

44. Diane says:

I read yesterday that all of ABC’s dramas are not doing well. I’m not surprised. Why do I want to invest my time and interest in shows that ABC will drop without regard for the fan They keep us hanging in the wind. Prime examples: Castle, Nashville, Forever. If ABC is crashing, it’s deserved ABC, How about sticking with a show like Notorious for more than 5 minutes. Many long running shows would have died on the vine if they were on ABC, which stands for Already Been Cut. Great example is Seinfeld. It’s just my opinion

• CSG says:

Already. Been. Cut. That is SO good! I agree with you 100%. They don’t give anything a chance to build. It’s pretty remarkable actually.

• JKR says:

You can go further. ABC, also historically known as Already Been Cancelled… if you want a terrible example look at Once & Again. That show was amazing and treated SO poorly!

• Tom Novak says:

The reason all of ABC’s dramas fail, is because they try to make every single one into a soap opera, with characters jumping into different beds and alliances turning every week.
      Quit insulting your audiences ABC, and write GOOD stories without all of the gratuitous sex and fake relationships, and maybe more people would watch.
      HINT: They watch shows without all of the soap opera subplots on the other networks, and theirs are more successful than yours. Or do you think you only have the stupid viewers?

45. Larc says:

I tolerate it because there’s nothing better on at 9 Thursday nights, but am anxious for Scandal to start.

46. Lou says:

This show was DOA from day 1. I called it as the first cancellation.

• Television Scout says:

Congratulations! I think you win the office dead-pool… the ‘winner’ appears to be Notorious! Well played Lou.

I was betting on something from Friday – either MacGyver or The Exorcist. I miscalculated how badly all of ABCs non-Shondaland dramas (with exception of Designated) would perform. ABC had to do something, and it was Notorious.

Stay tuned… Conviction may be next. The office pool will also award the second place ‘winner’… could it be Conviction?

47. TL says:

I like this show, but I’m not “hooked” on it. I would love to see TNT, USA, or Freeform pick it up.

48. Nan says:

I actually really enjoy this show which surprised me and I also love both actors which is why I decided to give a try in the first place. What they should be cancelling is Timeless and Frequency…snooze

49. jericho says:

The show isn’t bad. The show has talented actors who are criminally under utilized. The show has two main characters who have very little chemistry together. Maybe we will get these actors in a better show next season. Here’s hoping.