Steven Yeun Calls Walking Dead Premiere 'Beautifully Terrible'

Even if Glenn makes it out of the Walking Dead premiere alive, the experience of shooting the episode left his portrayer wounded.

In an interview conducted mere hours before tonight’s opener (AMC, 9/8c), Steven Yeun acknowledged to our sister site Variety that “it’s always tough to see people exit the show,” adding, “As an actor you come to terms that things might be ending for somebody. You go over all the things you experienced together and what a great time it was for everyone.

“So [in] that way, it’s beautifully terrible,” he added. “It’s bittersweet.”

Similarly, tonight’s special extended Talking Dead aftershow — featuring the entire Walking Dead cast — will be filled with “joy” and “sadness,” Yeun predicted. “It’s going to be a lot of things.”

Viewers themselves may be too emotionally raw to tune in. As showrunner Scott Gimple previously teased to TVLine, he and his fellow producers “spared no drop of awfulness, no iota of misery, no scintilla of pain” in depicting Negan’s rampage.

That said, after the blood and tears have dried, Gimple promised Season 7 will feature moments of “lightness… humor… warmth…. It isn’t all misery.”

1. wrstlgirl says:

This is officially the last thing I’ll be reading until tomorrow morning. g’nite all you Walking Dead lovers. Enjoy the show!!!!

2. Tammy Meade says:

I know it won’t be Daryl or I won’t watch it anymore. I hope it’s Michonne. I know she’s good with her sword, she went to toe to toe with the Governor but I could not abide by her getting on with Rick, that simple.

3. Darry Conley says:

there is no need for that much violence in a show, it make me sick that you feel killing those characters in such an evil way. it isn’t necessary to be so awful.

• LUcy says:

Tonight was my last time watching the walking dead. I don’t know who makes the decision. But unless this was a dream. I am done.

4. LUcy says:

• Guest says:

I have always been a fan of the show, but at a certain point I no longer feel joy watching it. I think it’s time for me to move on too.

This anxiety and sadness that I feel for the horrifically violent ways they treat your favorite characters is just sadistic, and I am a masochist for watching it.

5. CalebFillion says:

Pretty sure Negan wore a very famous leather jacket tonight. You know, the one Fonzie wore when he went waterskiing and jumped over.. something

6. Carlos Lee says:

No surprises on the victims. I figured it would be somebody likable, but expendable (Abraham). I figure they would kill somebody popular like Glenn. I just expected it later in the episode.

7. DeeDee says:

I don’t feel it was necessary in killing two favorite characters so sadisticly and so soon! I think you are going to lose alot of popularity! Im done with the show