Exclusive
The Vampire Diaries Season 8

The Vampire Diaries: Final Season Poster Sends [Spoiler] Six Feet Under

The Vampire Diaries is getting its goodbyes in early, 10 hours before kicking off its final season on Friday (The CW, 8/7c).

TVLine has your exclusive first look at the show’s Season 8 poster, in which all of your Mystic Falls faves — Enzo, Bonnie, Damon, Alaric, Caroline, Stefan and Matt — assemble for a somber, yet familiar, occasion: a funeral.

You know the drill: Slap on your Speculation Goggles™ and scroll down to check out the poster in full…

The Vampire Diaries Season 8

So, what sorts of nonsensical theories can we form based solely on this one piece of art? Let’s find out:

* First thing’s first: That’s supposed to be Elena in the casket… right?

* Enzo and Damon are both looking in the same direction, away from the group, which makes sense given their current connection to… whatever that thing is in the Armory vault.

* Stefan appears to be in need of some major consoling — his brother is M.I.A., after all — which Caroline is more than happy to provide. (Despite Paul Wesley’s warning of a “dark” turn for the couple, something tells me they’re going to be A-OK.)

* Bonnie, having lost her magic and her man, is looking rightfully pissed.

* Alaric is positioned away from the group, but still close to Caroline, a possible nod to the awkward co-parenting they’re going to attempt.

* And then there’s Matt, who appears to be interacting with no one. (Don’t worry, executive producer Julie Plec has promised lots of good, emotional material for Zach Roerig’s character this season — even if we don’t see him right away.)

OK, I’ve officially run out of speculation gas. What theories can you glean based on the final season’s poster? And how do you hope this all ends? Drop a comment with your personal wish list below.

1. Abbi Fortune says:

Steroline are a total power couple this season! STEROLINE FOREVER! ❤❤ #SterolineJuneWedding #TVDForever

• LOL says:

I’m going to LMAO if Nina’s not coming back!

• Swan song says:

Oh Delena, it’s time to come out. lol you guys

• H says:

Here’s my take: Tyler will die very early, setting the tone for the season. Probably killed by damon who doesn’t care.
      Enzo, who always suffers as a consequence of Damon’s actions, will die as D is set free from the influence of that thing. This will give D another occasion to feel guilty and man pain, as Bonnie will suffer and cry because of course.
      Given that her love his dead, it will be easier for her to sacrifice herself to defeat the big baddie and reach Enzo in the afterlife. Her death will wake up Elena.

If I get my wish (I won’t), since Julie Plec think she’s Shakespeare she will give us a Romeo and Juliet ending: Elena has been somehow compelled to kill Damon as soon as they meet again, so she does and then kills herself. The end.

• Vato says:

trust me it is the worst. Bonifen is the best

2. Nikki says:

Maybe the “funeral” is for the show itself. Agree the casket is Elena; a placeholder until she (likely) returns at some point.

3. Mary says:

Steroline looks awesome here

4. Courtney says:

I like it!

As a Stelena fan, is there any hope that SE could reunite? I am thinking no, but curious what others think.

• SKittles&Bits says:

I doubt it. VD jumped the shark seasons ago with pairing Damon and Elena and then Caroline and Stefan, especially the latter since all viewers want is a wedding and babies as if those two things alone are the sum of a healthy relationship. /s I wonder if it would physically cause the writers and some viewers pain to see Caroline without a love interest and just focusing on herself and her future?

• I hate how Caroline has been paired with every guy on the series basically. What a waste.

I just can’t see Stefan loving Caroline the way she needs to be loved. He always Elena the most.

• I said that once before on another site and folks jumped down my throat. Called me sexist and asking if it was ok Damon had everyone on the show. They totally missed what I was saying. I just gave up. But know I feel where you’re coming from.

• Penny says:

While I doubt it will happen, SE together in the end is all I want. I would love the show to end as it started. You are not alone!

• Erin says:

I’m right there with you Courtney. I’ll forever be a Stelena shipper but they destroyed our couple way back in season 4 and its never been the same again. They forced Delena so far down everyone’s throats that most ppl don’t even remember that Stelena even existed.

• Kinsey says:

I don’t know Courtney but I sure wish KW and JP would! This series was always about SE like Kevin said and I want them to end the series with them together and the human life they always wanted. They are what anchored this show and you can see when the writers tore them apart it tore the show apart too.

• As far as I know it is Damon and Elena in the books after a while too and that in this regards the show was just following the books. Which is why neither S/E or D/E supporters or the writers deserve bashing as both couples as both couples have prececedence. Even though I’ve read the books end D/E I don’t think there’s an absolute ultimatum here. I just want my favourite character to get a happy ending but either Defan or Bamon also work for me. So I’d be happy for Stelena fans if they got their happy ending in that case :)

• Lila says:

Well that was the ghost writer not LJ Smith (the original writer). She got fired and then they hired a ghost writer to finish the books. The original writer is still writing and from the looks of it she’s writing a SE/DB ending. Regardless JP has always stated that she’s not following the books.

• Huh, interesting. I remember reading the original books years ago and then getting ticked off for some reason. I do remember rooting for Bonnie though. I just don’t see how they can do Bamon justice in just one season though on the other hand they might give it hope at the end. I’m the type of person who likes to see things properly resolved and given closure so if Bonenzo was to end or something happens to Enzo, I’d like to see a proper end, and the coming together of Damon and Bonnie but yeah. Not to mention the roles Stefan, Elena, Caroline, play in it all and resolution for all of them.

• I originally didn’t want to watch the series because I remembered not being happy with the books in the end but my mother had me watch some of it with her then I got hooked ;P

5. Ari says:

I see they are still trying to force Steroline upon us. Stefan deserves better.

6. Anna says:

Can they give Caroline her own storyline for once?

• Ginny says:

Hear, hear! My first reaction was to roll my eyes, because of course Caroline has to make sure Stefan is okay. Her life is all about treat-her-like-dirt-Stefan and the twins that were for forced into her womb without her consent. Barf.

• Pam says:

That’s what she does, she is the one who gives comfort in this relationship. He is the one who takes. Stefan and Caroline are supposedly best friends yet they are not even on the same page. Let Steroline end for the sake of sanity. They both deserve better than each other

7. It seems that everyone is focused on something different. For me Caroline focusing on Stefan only and it’s sad to see that his attention is not on her again. I don’t think SC will make it.

8. Z says:

*Matt has no umbrella. He is getting wet.

9. Gilded Lady says:

Wasn’t Sarah Salvatore supposed to be coming back? Stefan seems to be the only one grieving, and he would have the most connection with her given Enzo is still possessed.

10. Val M. says:

it looks a lot like a PLL poster!!!, God I hope that whoever is in that coffin is SC relationship. As usual Caroline isn’t enough for Stefan, look despite her comfort, he’s still missing Damon or Elena.

11. Love the poster.Glad CW actually did a new one and rember end they have shows other than flops NT,Frequency and DC superhero shows

12. Melissa says:

Interesting. Stefan looks the most upset to me. And he doesn’t seem to be paying much attention to Caroline. I feel in the end, his brother will always come first for him. And that will ultimately end the Caroline/Stefan romance.

13. Master_K says:

Looks like they’re burying Emily Thorne from Revenge lol.

14. i’m so exicte to see this season who make the end of Vampire Diaries

15. Lizzy says:

Elena is coming back!! “The end awakens” Can they be any more obvious about it? Very excited to see her character again even if it will probably be in the last episode. And the rain symbolizes Delena’s kids in the rain. Everything I pointing to Delena reunion and I for one can’t wait. Stefan and Caroline look good together and so do Bonnie and Enzo. I LOVE the poster. Elena’s coffin has an infinity symbol on it. Another reference to Delena’s “Promise me this is forever”

16. My favorite return cameo in the poster? The crow!

17. Paola says:

We cant wait to see Delena’s reunion and Elena’s return! We miss DELENA
    /Elena so much 😭😭😭😭 #DelenaForever

18. cali says:

a black bird is on the casket!; which may be the same bird from season 1 episode 1…

19. Enrica says:

DELENA HAPPY ENDING!!!!

20. Erin says:

My guess is that the spell that was put on Elena and Bonnie went wrong somehow. Bonnie is still alive therefore Elena won’t be waking up. I really don’t think that Nina wanted to come back to the show so they’re just going to keep Elena in a permanent sleep.

21. chuckiechk says:

The crow, in the first episode wasn’t Elena in the cemetery writing when a crow appeared and she first met Stefan? … could it be full circle, Stefan sees the crow and Elena appears.

22. J.B. says:

I point out the author spelled Bonnie’s name wrong when the article was first posted. Come back later and see it was fixed but deleted my comment. Keep it classy TVLine.

23. Wendy W says:

Never really liked steffen with Caroline. always seemed far too forced. I prefer her with Tyler or really even Enzo they had some spark. I like Enzo. also never really liked elena much, Katherine was far more interesting as a character, just my two cents.

24. Penny says:

At first glance at the poster all I noticed was the crow (season 1 Stefan and Elena) sitting on what i assumed to be Elena’s casket with Stefan looking at it and Caroline looking at Stefan creating the most obvious love triangle. And i remember Julie Plec clearly stating the ending that has always been planned can and probably will still happen. To me? That goes back to Katherine’s quote, “it was always going to be Stefan”.

25. Liz says:

The saddest thing about this poster is that Caroline is only looking at Stefan. To me it sums up the whole relationship in one glance. It’s like she but all her worth on one guy.

26. Damon says:

1) What about the two snakes on the coffin?
    They devour themselves. Like the Ouroboros. They also form the sign for eternity.

Ouroboros. Definition taken from Wikipedia:

The ouroboros (/ˌjʊərəˈbɒrəs, ˌjʊəroʊ-/;[2] Ancient Greek: οὐροβόρος [ὄφις] < οὐρά (tail) + βόρος (devouring) "tail-devouring snake"[3]) is an ancient symbol depicting a serpent or dragon eating its own tail.

Originating in Ancient Egyptian iconography, the ouroboros enters western tradition via Greek magical tradition and is adopted as a symbol in Gnosticism and Hermeticism, and most notably in alchemy. Via medieval alchemical tradition, the symbol enters Renaissance magic and modern symbolism, often taken to symbolize self-reflexivity, introspection, the eternal return or cyclicality,[4] especially in the sense of something constantly re-creating itself. It also represents the infinite cycle of nature's endless creation and destruction, life and death.[5] Carl Jung interpreted the ouroboros as having an archetypal significance to the human psyche related to the process of individuation.[6]

2) Matt is not under an umbrella. And he wears a black shirt.
    Like Alaric, he stands behind the group. The only two humans in the picture.
    Which makes me think that Bonnie will get her magic back.

3) Bonnie looks at the coffin in disapproval, knowing that there was a hint of truth in Damon's words when he said, that everyone wants Elena back and Bonnie is the reason she isn't there.

4) There will be at least two groups. Stefan and Damon will break apart again, shown by the two umbrellas. Enzo, Bonnie and Damon are under one umbrella, Caroline and Stefan under another. Bonnie might switch sides and change from team good (Stefan) to team evil (Damon/Enzo). Maybe she will also be controlled by "evil herself" at some point.

5) The crow on the coffin symbolizes death. But also season 1 Damon.

6) In the background is the Salvatore family crypt. Which means this season will be about the family/the two brothers again.

27. TJ says:

Damon dies. The double infinity on the casket represents Damon and Elena. Will Damon show up on The Originals like Spike did on Angel after the end of Buffy?

28. Valerie Mendez says:

I just hope Stefan gets his happy ending, and far as Bonnie goes her and Enzo just ride off to the sunset. Alaric has a new love the right one. Whenever this show ends just hope it will be spectacular.

29. Izaan says:

Stefan and Caroline will be scrolling through books to find magic spells and a coven of witches who can find a loophole to save both Elena and Bonnie. While they’re sitting and searching, Damon and Enzo is of on another killing spree. While doing so they stumble upon a coven of witches who agreed to help them save Elena and Bonnie. The witches already knows a loophole because Kai trapped one of their siblings in the same kind of spell, but they managed to break it. After a while they got Elena out and Bonnie survived it too. Damon and Elena is back together, the coven of witches turns Damon into a human without drinking any cure. Stefan proposes to Caroline and then the scene skips to 2 years later at Caroline and Stefan’s wedding, where Tyler and Jeremy both arrive with girls.Alaric got married, and they’re expecting a baby boy. Matt is with Rebecca who was also at the wedding, and then it shows Elena and Damon climbing out off the car. With their little girl who looks just like her mom, while Bonnie and Enzo is engaged. Caroline and Stefan is married and everyone lives happily ever after…THE END

• Vanessa says:

I wish it ended that way… too bad it’s too much of a fairytale. These characters have been through hell and deserve an ending like this.

30. Delora says:

I am curious if Stelena ever happened couldn’t it go back to Caroline and Klaus. Don’t kill me for wanting that they were a beautiful pair. I’m sure its going to end with either Stephan or Damon dying. Tear jerker of course. I almost want to wait a year or so when it comes out and just watch everything from the beginning. Don’t want it to end. Will be my 6th time watching the entire series.

31. Izaan says:

Or Steroline breaks up and the wedding isn’t Caroline and Stefan’s but the wedding of Caroline and Klaus. I’ve always liked the spark between Klaroline

32. Jane Doe says:

I still remember how a while ago I was waiting for POI series finale with a fluttering heart, I’d missed Sarah Shahi and Amy Acker, the brilliant actresses playing Shaw and Root.
    Oh, final seasons are always extremely sad, you feel empty after watching the last of it.
    Hold out, fans!

33. becky says:

I’m not looking forward to it ending love this show

34. Izaan says:

I vote Klaroline. I just don’t think that Stefan loves Caroline like she has to be loved, he will always be in love with Elena. Caroline and Klaus is just awesome together

35. LKE says:

Clearly this coffin with an 8 is just a metaphor for this being the last season.

36. Lauren Lucio says:

Maybe Tyler will be the one to die. But also, Michael Malarkey (Enzo) posted a photo on instagram tagging Nina in the casket. IF SHE DIES, I’M GOING TO DIE AND NEVER WATCH TVD AGAIN!

37. Radi says:

For the end of TVD, i would just love if Delena would reunite, and also Bonenzo. They are my OTP! lol I would also want Tyler back in the mix with Caroline! #DelenaisEndgame
    #TVDForever

38. Andressa says:

I think that maybe slmehow Bonnie turn into a Vampire,Elena wakes up and Damon give the cure to bonnie instead of taking

39. Hales says:

FYI Elena is coming back… so glad😊😋😃😁

40. Hales. says:

Hope this show never ends

41. Omg 8 seasons i’ve watched this show and now they want to quit and don’t even get me started on this storyline i mean its cool but really Elena’s dead No one knows where Jeremy is Damon is losing his mind right now because hes missing Elena And both him and Stephen has to serve this dude named CADE whos the DEVIL Caroline has to gibe Stephen away and forget about her wedding Bonnie doesn’t have her powers Enzo is super fine Alrick had his babies to worry about Matts dad is an asshole who aways needs saving and their are the two sirens they came in and messed EVERYTHING UP