Anne of Green Gables Cast Amybeth McNulty Netflix

Netflix's Anne of Green Gables Series Adaptation Casts the Title Role

Netflix’s Anne has found its titular redhead. Raspberry cordial all around!

Newcomer Amybeth McNulty (photo above) will play Anne Shirley in the upcoming series adaptation of L.M. Montgomery’s classic novel Anne of Green Gables, the streaming video service announced Friday.

Per the series’ official description:

Anne is a coming-of-age story about an outsider who, against all odds and numerous challenges, fights for love and acceptance and her place in the world. The series centers on a young orphaned girl in the late 1890s who, after an abusive childhood spent in orphanages and the homes of strangers, is mistakenly sent to live with an aging sister and brother. Over time, 13-year-old Anne will transform their lives and eventually the entire small town in which they live with her unique spirit, fierce intellect and brilliant imagination.

Geraldine James (The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo) and R.H. Thomson (Chloe) will play Marilla and Matthew Cuthbert, respectively — aka the “aging sister and brother” who take Anne in. (Fun fact: Thomson appeared in Road to Avonlea, a 1990s Canadian series loosely based on several of Montgomery’s other Anne-related novels.)

Anne, which is produced with Canada’s CBC, will “honor the foundation of the novel” but also will explore “new territory” such as feminism, prejudice and bullying, according to a release for the series.

McNulty’s credits include the film Morgan and the Sky television series Agatha Raisin.

Moira Walley-Beckett (Breaking Bad) will serve as writer and showrunner of the eight-episode first season.

Anne of Green Gables has spawned more than a dozen television and movie adaptations since its original release; Reign‘s Megan Follows starred as the orphan for the CBC in 1985. Another iteration — Lucy Maud Montgomery’s Anne of Green Gables, starring Martin Sheen (The West Wing) as Matthew — will air on PBS in November.

Have thoughts on the new Anne? Sound off in the comments, Carrots!

1. CourtTV says:

So there is another version with Martin Sheen?

2. S says:

Any plans for appearances by Megan Follows or other cast members from 1985?

3. auntiemm says:

I loved the books and series but lost me when they decided to stray from the original material.

• MLPR says:

Totally agree. The reason I loved the ’80s movies was because it was true to the time period and mostly true to the story. I hate the fact that societal issues of the 21st century have to bleed into everything. However, I guess small town issues of the 19th century aren’t sexy enough for a TV series if you want good ratings, and so I understand why the producers would want to explore those topics. I’ll give it a chance, but if it becomes too “after school special” for me, I might have to bail.

4. Asia says:

Hmm, I love Anne of Green Gables so I might check this out. After watching web series that was a modern adaptation of the books, I think I’ve become more open-minded when it comes to remakes.

5. Vanessa Ho says:

I’ve heard the version with Martin Sheen isn’t good. Also, I don’t know how to feel about R.H. Thomson playing Matthew as 1) he will always be Jasper Dale to me and 2) the only Matthew in my heart is Richard Farnsworth.

6. MMD says:

No, no, no, and hell no. This should be taped in Prince Edward Island and be as close to the original musical which has not only toured the world but has played for an amazing 52 years in Charlottetown and still going strong. Even with it being a CBC production which are always excellent, nothing compares to the original! Nothing.

nuff said – getting off soapbox now

7. Liz says:

I’m both excited and scared. Anne of green gables was my favorite series as a kid. I want to watch this, but fear how they’re going to screw it up.

8. JP MD says:

Both James and Thompson are exceptional actors …. the story line will more true to life, according to Canadian reports, than the somewhat fanciful adaptions of the past few decades …. looking forward to it .

9. J says:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
    What in heaven’s name is wrong with the old adaptation?
    Why do we need yet another retelling?
    Supremely annoyed with this.

10. Pam says:

I loved Megan Follows as Anne. I will give this a try, but I’m not sure how I feel about it. Some actors are so deeply embedded to a character and she for me, is and always will be ,Anne Shirley!

• This is by far the best portrayal of Ann of Green Gables I’ve ever seen! It’s so much more realistic. This child acts as an abused child would, and bringing in current issues is brilliant. I loved the Megan Follows movie, but this is superior by a long shot.