Fall TV Preview

Vampire Diaries Video: Paul Wesley Teases a 'Dark' Turn for 'Steroline,' Shares Hopes for Elena's Return

Much of what The Vampire Diaries‘ final season has in store for us remains a mystery, but there’s one thing fans of the long-running series can always count on: relationship drama!

“Stefan and Caroline start off pretty strong … and then it kind of spins out of control,” Paul Wesley told TVLine during a recent visit to the show’s Atlanta set. “It can get dark for a second. But the ultimate thing is, ‘Will they end up together?’ And that I actually don’t know.”

Also embedded in our discussion: Wesley’s personal investment in the future of “Steroline,” his thoughts on Stefan’s awkward relationship with Caroline and Alaric’s twins, and just how much Elena will impact these last 16 episodes.

Hit PLAY on the video above (Editor’s note: The audio is wonky, so feel free to use headphones!) for more of Wesley’s thoughts on the final season — premiering Friday at 8/7c on The CW — then drop a comment with your own below.

1. Abbi Fortune says:

So excited for new Steroline scenes! Rooting and hoping for Steroline to be happy and to be endgame! STEROLINE FOREVER! <3 #SterolineJuneWedding #TVDForever

• STELENA4EVA says:

OMG Paul! YES we need STELENA back! That’s what makes sense and I hope the last horrible seasons have been Elena’s nightmare!

• Becca says:

There’s no way Stefan’s going to marry his sister Caroline.

• Hallie says:

Steoline will not end up together both PW and CK have hinted that they would be happy at the beginning but things fall apart CK said if you are a SC fan then you will be happy for the first part implying you won’t be for the second and Ian said later on in the season Stefan gets dragged in with enzo and Stefan

2. Lou says:

Klaroline is better ;)

3. Mery says:

Klaroline Always And Forever ❤

4. marydspain says:

Rooting for Steroline to be endgame and have the June wedding

5. Jason says:

It wouldn’t be Vampire Diaries if Stefan and Caroline didn’t have a rocky road on the way to the finale, but I have hope that they’ll make it through together. And I certainly hope we get to see Elena in the finale, at the very least.

6. Quinn says:

Hopefully “Steroline” fizzles out like the disaster it is. Move it along already.

7. wrstlgirl says:

If this ends with Damon and Elena all nice and snuggly and living happily ever after it will be an EPIC fail. That’s how I feel anyway :-)

8. Penny says:

Season 4, episode 1 will forever remain my TVD finale. The ending scene on the rooftop is how I would have loved this show to end. I know many people would say otherwise but the show was amazing then. It’s gone in several directions since that just make me shake my head. I’ll still watch until the bitter end though!

• STELENA4EVA says:

AGREE! That was the most beautiful scene and I loved the TVD Goodbye with Kevin talking about them!

• Kinsey says:

Me too Penny! SE were the heart of the show and it would be sad not to have SE end the show somehow.

• Ingram says:

It was an amazing show back then & with the exception of a few great episodes in season 6; season 4 episode 1 was TVD’s finale. . cause after that the show totally lost its charm & its heart & it hasn’t been the same since. . . but like u i’ll watch to the END though

9. LIA says:

I liked Caroline with Tyler the most.

10. Mel says:

Waiting for Klaroline to come back! #HoweverLongItTakes

11. I just want Bonnie (the most) followed by Damon, Enzo, and Stefan to crossover to The Originals. There they will have an ACTUAL PLOT and will not just be used as a catering tool for a romantic getaway for the fans. Honestly, truly. I just hope that Bonnie doesn’t die or will be used as a plot device.

12. god4uall says:

The show should end just how it started,with Stefan and Elena madly in love. Please bring back Stellena

13. god4uall says:

They should end the show the same as how it started, with Stefan and Elena madly in love with each other. Bring Stellena back please.

14. Stacey says:

Can’t wait till they break up! They are definitely the worst ship. I am fine with Stelena or Delena. All I want to see is a Klaroline endgame!

15. Oncer says:

I love Steroline, it wouldn’t be tvd if they didn’t have a rocky Road but i have faith that nommatter how long it will take then they will be strong by the end, and about the Klaroline Caroline dosn’t even think of Klaus in that way, Klaus May put her first but she won’t do the same for him. Steroline is a perfect example of friends turned lovers.

• CT says:

I’m not a Klaroline fan but at least Klaroline have chemistry and wouldn’t mind if she went back with Tyler. ANYTHING is better than the sibling ship known as steroline. Here’s to hoping Plec ends the show the way it should by ending steroline for good.

16. Brigid says:

I do love Stefan and Elena, they were the BEST couple on this show. They should never have been broken up, that’s what ruined the show for most fans. The producers listened to a few vocal Twitter fangirls and not to the enormous amount of fans who were happy with how the show was developing. So sad:(

17. VampGirl says:

Steroline is OTP. We want the #sterolinejunewedding. Steroline has to be endgame, pleeeeease!!