Switched at Birth Cancelled

Switched at Birth's Farewell Season Gets New Premiere Date

Is Freeform having trouble letting go of Switched at Birth? The cabler has pushed back the launch of the show’s fifth and final season, albeit by just one week.

Freeform announced Monday that the series’ 10-episode farewell season will commence on Tuesday, Jan. 31 at 9/8c, immediately following the Season 4B premiere of The Fosters at 8/7c. Back in August, the network announced that the show would begin its final bow on Tuesday, Jan. 24.

Switched at Birth‘s return will come after a lengthy hiatus — the last new installment aired on Oct. 26, 2015.

The final season will feature the drama’s milestone 100th episode and conclude with a special 90-minute series finale.

In other Freeform news, the network has ordered the multi-cam comedy pilot Brown Girls, which centers on the relationship between Rimmi, an Indian-American aspiring beauty vlogger, and Devi, a young woman who has recently emigrated from India.

1. Kelsey says:

I hope the last season is worth the tortuous wait. Not seeing how it will be possible in only 10 episodes, but I’m still wishing for a Bemmett endgame.

• Jenn says:

Me, too. It’s what was meant to be from the beginning. That’s obvious with every twist and turn of the story. But somehow, I believe the showrunner changed her mind at the very last minute, while filming this last season. I suspect Bay will hand Emmett his walking papers (or at the very least, she’ll tell him “maybe one day”), and if so, that is going to be so lame.

2. sarah t says:

Seriously, Freeform is ridiculous. I get this is an older show but still, treating the fans like this by changing the dates (after such a long wait) is beyond rude.

3. Stacey says:

I used to love this show, but they really butchered Daphne’s and Emmett’s characters. At least Daphne improved over the past half season, but they completely destroyed Bay and Emmett, who had such a sweet love story. Hope they can right ship with these final 10 episodes, I would like to see Bay and Emmett back together at the end.

4. Lisa Echerd says:

This show desperately needs a time jump. The actors are too old for their characters and there is nothing to be enjoyed about seeing Daphne struggle through her college courses.

5. andrew hass says:

I don’t thinking pushing it back one week is that big of a deal.As for why Switched At Birth hasn’t been been on almost a year that might have to do with the show and not the network.For example the show’s producers wanted to make some changes to the final season and so that made the network push when the show would return.

6. Holly Phippen says:

When will season 5 of ‘Switched at birth’ be carried on Netflix?

7. Selena says:

I think switched at birth has had a great story line and i am so sad that the show is ending i wish they would continue it. i also disagree with all of you the show is great and the fact that emmet and bay broke up is sad but i think it was for the best and she should find someone better that wouldn’t have left her because she was taking too long to get to him or leaves her the minute someone new that likes the same things comes along.

8. Debbie says:

I love this show. Dont know why the good ones almost always get cancelled. I loved the glade. It got canceled and it ended in a really bad way. He gets shot on the way to his wedding. You dont know if he died or recovered if they got married. Total sucky ending! Seriousely. Fans arent fans of bad or basically cliffhanger never to know endings.vthink about that. I hope we get the ending we want bay and emmit get it together finally and get msrried. Lets be real tv is for make believe. The world outside gives us more than enough reality. On television you should get more happy endings. Helps keep our real world balanced. Would like to see more shows without gang violence sex scenes and nudity.

9. Cheyenne says:

When will season 5 be on Netflix?

10. Gianna says:

Are you going to make a new season and episode of switched at birth if you are is it coming soon I really hope It is because I am 13 and I love switch at birth

11. Becki Tucker says:

I am partially deaf and just heard about “Switched at Birth”. I may become totally deaf and this show has helped me to understand so many things that I didn’t understand. I was so upset when I found out it was in it’s last season. Switched at birth could continue to help people if they just knew about it and could watch and learn. I will continue to watch the reruns and get as much from it as I can. I wish the network would reconsider and let it run awhile longer. I feel as though I have had some therapy. I have encouraged many of my family membersand friends to watch “Switched at Birth” so they might understand more about the not hearing world. It is different and this is the first time I have ever seen a show that explains it so well. I also have Meniers Disease and there was an episode with someone who was dealing with what I have been going through for years. Mine started in my mid 20’s and at one point I became totally disabled by it. Surgery was done and now I can get around. It has affected me beefing able to make a decict income and have a career. That’s the hard truth. Thank you for the 5 seasons you did write, direct, and produce. You can never know what it did for me personally.
    Becki

12. Ivan says:

Does anybody knows if the season 5 of switch at birth it will be available on Netflix In the US